MyTake on Intelligence

MCheetah
General intelligence per population. Men: green. Women: blue.

You either have it or you don't. You can learn knowledge and education, but most intelligence is instinctual, and much of that is genetic. I don't think intelligence really comes from environment, because it's not really ever "learned," but I don't think it's completely genetic, either. But what do I mean by "intelligence?"

The easiest way to determine common logical intelligence is to see how easily someone can understand something, break it down, and explain it in simple terms. Intelligence also usually comes with open-mindedness and knowing that the more you learn, the less you know, so some humility, as well. That's why pseudo-intellectuals are often know-it-alls (like many 2010-era atheists), or people who often speak in extremes like "all people this" or "x-people never..." and so on. Finally, I think self-awareness is a big sign of intelligence, as dumb people tend to lack it, and intelligent people tend to hide their self-awareness (because it can be depressing, at times).

Intelligent people (in my opinion):
1. Can understand complex things easier.
2. Are open-minded.
3. Are humble about the universe and their role in it.
4. Have self-awareness.

I consider myself extremely intelligent with most things, and can tell you my mother (abusive and all) is VERY unintelligent. My Afro-Cuban father seemed to think he was Scarface, even though I never knew him well, so I didn't get it from him, either. I'm not sure where it came from, because it didn't come from my sh*tty-ass ghetto environment, either. But out of every external source, my 'mother' is perhaps the least intelligent. If we were to use IQ numbers to quantify it (I don't take IQ too seriously, but I like the quantifiers of it), I'd guess her IQ is in the late 80s, early 90s. She's pretty f*cking stupid. And stubborn too, which is a deadly combination.

Speaking of stubbornness, that's something I *did* inherit. But I am stubborn about social things (like, I won't date "bisexuals" for example). I acknowledge my stubbornness with these things though, because my emotional side can't handle some extremes like that. I'm not looking to date queer women or participate in orgies anytime soon, but I don't think it makes me closed-minded.

I think you can understand complex things, be open-minded, admit you don't have all the answers, and have self-awareness, but don't have to possess all four of these things at all times, and with everything. After all, we are just humans and not machines or aliens... Unless you own Facebook.

But I think less than 5% of the human population are intelligent. Not "educated" like doctors and lawyers, but truly intelligent. Like "at least a 140 IQ" if we want to go by that. (I'm 150, and I feel dumb as hell; I only can say I'm intelligent because most people I've ever met seem to make dumber, less rational decisions than I do more frequently and will think things through far less.)

So if like 1-4% of the population is intelligent, 21-24% of the population have "minimum acceptable intelligence" (aka, "average" smarts), and let's just say 75% of the rest are just morons, what does that leave us? Well, politicians, of course! Even Napoleon knew that! Yes, the world isn't run by, nor generally respects, the highly intelligent, even if they're the ones saving everyone's asses at NASAs SETI program, or curing diseases with vaccines like COVID-19. Instead, the world seems to look up to the Trumps, Bidens, and AOC's of society, along with Hollywood weirdos and roided-up athletes who play with balls in and out of the locker room. In other words, ignorance is bliss for a reason. Be glad you're not super intelligent. You'd possibly just be cynical, all the time!

MyTake on Intelligence
2
8

Most Helpful Girl

• Sarahr123
    Yes, intelligence is genetic. You can measure it by for instance at what age a child first spoke in full sentences. If a child speaks in full sentences at or before 18 months then one can call themself a genius. You can also measure it by how many languages one speaks or how quick they’re able to pick them up and how quickly they can grasp the logic behind grammatical structure. You can judge someone’s intelligence based on how much they use their initiative and problem solving as in if they can take a bit of the picture and see the whole picture. There are many ways of judging intelligence, but you hit the nail on the head with that one. Yes it’s genetic and yes it depends on how fast one understands a complex thing when it’s explained to them. If they understand almost everything in one or two goes then they definitely possess superior intelligence.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

• Jjpayne
    I'd say to me, the more important intelligence is life intelligence. There is clearly a place for scientific intelligence but the study of people and of life in general I think is a more practical form. It's one we all share, even those less educated. I think that life gives us certain forms of priceless intelligence that add to our learning and views on life.

But overall, I think we clearly need a types of intelligence, thanks to some we are currently texting on a mobile phone
    Is this still revelant?
    • Jjpayne

Thank you for the mho 😊

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

17
  • I read the start. I think that open-mindedness is indicative of a personality trait rather than intellect. My grandfather is genius IQ and the most stubborn man you’d ever meet.

Also explaining things has to do with communication skills rather than IQ. I work in the engineer field where the average IQ is 130, and some of my colleagues have social anxiety, and often get stuck in thought because of it. They are also extreme introverts and tend to lack communication skills during brainstorming sessions.

I have an IQ of 126, and completely flop on particular topics. Theory based critical thought takes me a lot longer to comprehend as opposed to logic based critical thought. I also have a shit short term memory. Point being is that people thrive in particular skill sets and fail in others.

While intelligence can possess correlation, I’d eliminate the thought of it being an absolute determiner. In general, disassociate personality traits from intelligence and consider that humans are multi-faceted and complex beings. Intelligent people come in all shapes and sizes.

One thing I agree with you on is being a cynic.
    • Oh and humbleness? Completely disagree. I was extremely arrogant throughout my younger years tagged along with my grandfather. Even a lot of the people I work with can be quite arrogant in their abilities.

• Yaaten
    "You either have it or you don't" -
    It's not that simple, and I. Q. is largely irrelevant: it doesn't measure anything other than one's ability to complete I. Q. tests.
    • MCheetah

Yeah, I said IQ doesn't matter in the post. I just use it as a way to measure cognitive intelligence on a tangible scale.

• Sarahr123

IQ doesn’t matter but he is right in that intelligence depends on ability to understand foreign and complex information. The one who understands a complex thing easily has superior intelligence. A certain percentage of the world’s population is mentally retarded and will not understand even the easiest of concepts after having it broken down many times.

• DWornock
    Less than 1% of people have an IQ of 140 or above so your 140 IQ to be intelligent is a very high standard.
    • MCheetah

Not really. You need at least 160 just to get into MENSA and some of those guys don't even seem that smart, not that IQ is important anyway, aa I said.

• DWornock

To qualify for MENSA you must score at or above the 98 percentile (the top 2%); typically an IQ of 132. However, that varies depending on the type of test.
      www.us.mensa.org/.../

Before posting and proving yourself to be a fool, why don't you first Google and find out the facts?

• Calgarydirty69
    covid is a joke! I already had covid better than the vaccine
  • siseñor
    im smart as fuck no i didn't read it
    • Heiniken

Was it a lack of attention?

• siseñor

nah i just saw the 'i consider myself to be' and fucked off loool

• Sarahr123

Lack of attention span indicates inferior intelligence

• doctord00m
    You should read The Bell Curve by Charles Murray.
  • Smegskull
    Ignorance is bliss for a reason.
  • Anonymous
    no your jest dum!