How often do you obey?

OddBeMe

We are biologically determined to conform to tribes. Evolution skewed toward animals who conformed to packs because their chances of living long enough to pass on their genes were exponentially higher. Thus, our ancestors were conformists.

The Asch Experiment has been studied and replicated over and over, and simplistically proves this as a trait in humans. Quite literally: we humans will go so far as to deny reality in order to conform to the group we identify with.

How often do you obey?

Asch is genius in its simplicity. A group of people are gathered and quizzed. The only questions revolve around matching the width of lines. Quite obvious are the answers, in fact.

How often do you obey?

They’d ask each person for the answer. But all except one were actors. And the actors intentionally gave the wrong answer. They’d say X is a match for A. All of them would say A.

Scarily, it only took two rounds for 3/4 of all subjects (the non actor) to conform to the group of actors. I.e., the one person who was not an actor would pretty quickly deny reality in order to conform.

Despite obvious reality that X matches C, they’d go with the group and say it matches A.

This study, along with the Milgram experiment, shows how vulnerable we are to being manipulated.

How often do you obey?

Milgram showed us how susceptible we are to taking orders despite the human cost. 65% of subjects reached 450 volts of shock, hearing the victim scream and plead the whole time. Again the victim was an actor, but played so well that subjects thought they were killing them. Yet most kept following orders…

So, how do you conform? Can you spot when you deny reality to fit into your supposed group?

I’m known as being quite liberal, and have found myself towing the Democratic Party line sometimes in order to fit in. When I realize this, I stop -reassess- then conform to reality by reading the research. Studying the experts. Learning what the consensus is. Because scientific consensus by experts in the field is how we have the internet, cell phones, TV…and vaccines.

Can you say the same about your cognitive dissonance? We all have it. But we must be able to identify when it pops up and quell those evolutionary desires.

How often do you obey?
3
19
3Girl Opinion
19Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guys

• mstbooblover
    That's why a group of humans nearly always seem hopelessly stupid ; a bunch of cowards that will attack in group against anyone thinking or wanting to act and think differently. Most humans are afraid to take their own decisions according their own real values. Now, in small groups, as is the case for a family, this group behaviour is rather helpful for the members, but it becomes a real catastrophe when packs of humans accept to follow the orders of a leader... Just remember the two world wars, islamism, terrorism, genocides, inquisition (s), witch hunts, hooliganism, etc...

And that's why I tend to avoid crowds of any kind. No offense meant to anyone, but still hoping that most people will try and get to think about their responsibility and behaviour in general.
    Is this still revelant?
    • OddBeMe

I think you get mho just for hooliganism :)

• Kaneki05
    That study seems odd to me though cause you could equally find someone put in that same test who would just called them out for been dumb and the clear answer C, then you could find someone equally who just wants to be different so they would say C or B just to look unique.

Both of these factors are highly seen among people too, been a smartass or someone who just wants to be different. So that test on one person don't really give an accurate result on what people would do. Then the other is a fear of dying so that's not really fair since it's quite obvious what impact that has.

Anyway I am the smartass one lol.
    Is this still revelant?
    • OddBeMe

True, but it’s the pressure to fit in that’s worrying. There’s lots of 70s footage on Asch experiment. And it takes several rounds of most subjects saying “no that’s not correct.” But as the study continues they quickly and horrifyingly start participating in literal fake news.

Most Helpful Girls

• CarolineW
    I studied art at university and I am a professional artist now. The last thing I want to be is in a cosy group that "approves" of me. Sounds like hell on earth. "Rebel against everything" - that's my mantra
    Like 3 People
    Is this still revelant?
  • TrueConfection
    The Wave is a good one to watch too. It's amazing how fast that happened.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

117
  • Lliam
    I've always been as curious as a cat and tended to do what I wanted to do, although I also weighed consequences.

In my teens I became rebellious and realized that you can't just "trust" authority. I realized that politicians lie all the time. I realized that mainstream media's job is to manufacture consensus and manipulate the public. I learned that from personal experience and from observation. So I question everything and try to be objective. I make my own decisions and form opinions, not based on consensus, but on the facts I have on hand. I can modify or change my opinions as more information becomes available.

I remember a college professor posing a question. He set up a scenario: If you were on a straight, flat desert highway where you could see for miles in every direction and came to a stop sign, would you stop? He even gave a 100% guarantee that there was no traffic, no police, and no danger. Almost everyone in the class said they would stop. I said that, given the guarantee of safety, I would blow through that sign at 100 mph.

So I may have been an outlier in the Asch experiment. Although I have to admit that I've been fooled before. And there have been times when I was temporarily influenced by consensus. But, over the years, I have become much more wary of manipulation.

I don't mind going against the grain. "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)." ~ Mark Twain

I've broken countess rules in my life. Some of my most fun experiences happened when I broke rules. I base my decisions on observation and common sense.

I like to think that I would have refused the orders in the Milgram experiment. I have morals and ethics and am averse to taking orders. I would have been terrible in the military. I even resent the shit out of cops who shout "commands". Fuck them! I respond to reason, not intimidation.
    Like 2 People
  • Avicenna
    I think it's more likely that being able to cooperate rather than to conform was evolutionary advantageous. Someone had to be dictating conformity, and it wasn't in the interest of the group- rather it would have been in the dictator's interest.

It would be hard not to let political bias seep into such an experiment, but wouldn't it be interesting to test for political conformity?
    • OddBeMe

Yeah. Which side conforms more? (Loud coughing…)

• Avicenna

Ideologically? Leftists definitely do (due to the generally totalitarian nature of leftism). But there’s also more mental illness on the Left.

• OddBeMe

Weird how I think the exact same…just about right wingers. I feel you guys are religiously motivated to find an idol to worship and follow their direction no matter the cost.

• GoPhuckYaself
    No never. I'm a loner. I do what I want. Fuck the rules. And fuck everyone else. I live in my own world motherfuckers. And guess what. It's a lot better than your world. Cos I live in a world of freedom to do what I want. Wahahhahahahahaha
    • OddBeMe

you're probably a gofer for some corporate scumbag.

• Snakeyes7
    I thought the Milgram experiment was interesting. How many people can think for themselves and those who can't when being told to perform an action that is clearly immoral. It also shows that the law isn't always a moral compass, although I think how the Nazis operated had enough evidence of that.
    • OddBeMe

Ironically, it shows how we accept authority. And yet some people overcompensate and refuse all expert advice…ie, vaxxes.

• Snakeyes7

Right, I am saying that some people are willing to disobey orders if they feel that the order is immoral and some fear the consequences too much to disobey no matter how immoral the order is.

• OddBeMe

Yes. And I do like that our military allows that.

• LightOfTruth
    most are pack animals but alpha’s do what they do and others follow. I don’t like most people and stick to myself. At work people follow that strength of not needing them. The way I see it is I do me and they end up following.
    • OddBeMe

Can alphas be betas too? Maybe with the wife?

• exitseven
    I remember Milgram from college years ago. It is pretty amazing I thought. I do not obey if I think it is wrong. I am usually at odds with the herd.
    Like 1 Person
  • Seangreen
    I rarely obey unless I absolutely have to especially if it's not something that I find to be a moral issue because I believe in objective morality
    Like 1 Person
  • Staximus
    I had to repeat preschool because the teacher said I was not ready or willing to obey directions. I'm a lot worse now about that than I was then.
    • OddBeMe

Funny how they drill that into you.

• Staximus

Yeah it didn't work haha

• Brendan24
    I usually go against the norm if there's something I'd rather do which in todays day n age a good amount
    • OddBeMe

It’s not about going against the “norm” it’s about not thinking about it because of your tribe, ie, Trumptards.

• Brendan24

@OddBeMe What

• OddBeMe

Not saying you’re a trumptard. But my point is not necessarily being anti norm, but anti groupthink.

• Gal67
    This is basically about peer pressure, something that, as a loner, I'm immune to. I will always do what is right, that's just the way I am.
    • OddBeMe

I’d say as a fellow loner, we have more “immunity” to it, but no one is immune. It’s about being able to realize when you’re in a situation where a crowd could influence you.

• Deserter
    Depends how severe the consequences are if I don't. Regardless the fact that I think for myself is one of my favorite things about me
  • DanielBlack1904120
    never. I've been doing exactly what I want since like age 11
    Like 1 Person
  • najekim
    I'll obey when it suits me. Otherwise facts and common sense lead the way.
    Like 1 Person
  • msc545
    The first example has more to do with social pressure than anything else. That said, cognitive dissonance is largely unconscious and very powerful.
    • OddBeMe

Ehh, that’s how religions outlast

• msc545

exactly. Have you read the book "When prophecy fails"

• OddBeMe

I haven’t I’ll look that up. There is a great website that tracks how many prophesies have been wrong. No one thinks about those…

• anylolone
    As often as the orders are right.
    That's why I didn't took a single vax this year.
    • OddBeMe

so the stats showing 40x less likely to get covid is what... fake news?

• anylolone

Considering they don't compare like to like, yes.
      Hard to be considered with covid when you aren't tested unless you have symptoms when everyone else is required testing for just getting into the hospitals for any other reason.

• OddBeMe

Like to like…so doctors filling out death certificates are faking it? Giant conspiracy?

• Kyle-Jackson78
    i only obey my boyfriend,
    Like 1 Person
    • OddBeMe

Bdsm thing?

• i obey him in the relationship and in the 😏

• bed room

• annabananna
    I can be both depending on what it is.
    Like 1 Person
  • Sevenpointfive
    i don't conform