Do we give children too many trophies?

The culture we live in seems to be obsessed with making sure every child is a "Winner" regardless of the effort put in by actually talented or skilled children. I think at most I've gotten 5 trophies and I put in a lot of time/study into the events in question to get them. They've all since fallen apart or gotten lost in moves over the years. If by some stroke of luck I got an award that didn't come from hard work I would usually just trash them. They didn't mean anything to me in terms of my overall development. They were just garbage awards. I learned a long time ago that hard work is seldom seen and as an adult rarely rewarded. It seems that we are setting children up for a very harsh reality of failing as an adult without the proper back bone to handle it. Rant over.

Your thoughts?
  • Yes
  • Maybe
  • No
    Vote C
  • Results
    Vote D

2447

Most Helpful Girls

• I think so. I think we don't emphasize with children the concept of winners AND losers. There is no consolation prize for bombing on the SATs, no participation trophy for "almost not quitting your job", no "world's second best dad" mugs.

I blame the educational system, so content with just pushing students along until they aren't the school's problem anymore. If kids feel like they're being rewarded for substandard effort then it causes laziness and complacency, and then you have a generation of young adults set up for failure and we all want nothing more than the sweet release of death.

• We do. In my classroom (7th grade), I have an 'All Stars' bulletin board where I put up outstanding work every couple of weeks. I tell students that your name will not be on this board if you do not put in any effort. I don't care if you go from an F to a C or a B to A or having A's all the time. But if you want to recognized for improvement, you have to improve some how or someway. Period.

You'd be surprised how many parents hate this policy and they say I should not exclude anyone and I should make it a point to make sure every child has their name up there at least once.

Yeah, right.

Most Helpful Guys

• This is all part of the PC culture. "Let's treat children as if they are the most fragile creatures on earth and their egos can't survive not winning. Let's give them ALL ribbons so no one is a loser! Hooray! What a wonderful idea!" And while we are at it, let's teach them that it doesn't matter how hard you work and that trying to excel is not important!

• LMAO
    Thanks for the laughs, I needed that. : )

Yes we give too many trophies.
    I'll tell you what happens to a kid that doesn't get a trophy.
    He'll feel like a loser, maybe he'll cry, and then he'll get over it. Next time around, IF that trophy means anything to him, he'll try harder.
    If it takes several tries before he wins himself that trophy, he'll have a sense of accomplishment, and pride. It will be well earned.
    He'll learn about how hard work pays off. He'll respect that trophy.

Let me tell you what happens to kids that get trophies for nothing.
    ... nothing.
    They don't feel like they have to earn anything. They'll be cheated of a sense of accomplishment and pride when they DO win.
    They will grow up thinking that they deserve recognition for nothing.