Social Media: Destroying Social Lives Since 2004

Social Media is one of the most important and vital components of today's society, Rarely you'll find someone who isn't aware of social media and even if we find someone who isn't, we call him a caveman.

Social media has changed the way people interact. In many ways, social media has led to positive changes in the way people communicate and share information; however, it has a dark side, as well. Social networking can sometimes result in negative outcomes, some with long-term consequences.

It causes depression as well as makes you jealous of your friends

A study conducted by the University of Missouri found out that excessive use of social media can cause depression as well as it can make you jealous of your social media friends. It also found that Facebook use can lead to symptoms of depression

“We found that if Facebook users experience envy of the activities and lifestyles of their friends on Facebook, they are much more likely to report feelings of depression,”

- Duffy professor of strategic communication

Causes social Isolation

In a study across the US, concluded after examining 1,787 U.S. adults aged 19–32 years found out that Young adults with high Social media usage seem to feel more socially isolated than their counterparts with lower Social media usage. Ironically, social media is known for bringing people together, but in reality, it is causing isolation

It causes Decline of life satisfaction levels

The more people used Facebook at one-time point, the worse they felt the next time we text-messaged them; the more they used Facebook over two-weeks, the more their life satisfaction levels declined over time. Interacting with other people “directly” did not predict these negative outcomes. They were also not moderated by the size of people's Facebook networks, their perceived supportiveness, motivation for using Facebook, gender, loneliness, self-esteem, or depression. - Ethan Kross

On the surface, Facebook provides an invaluable resource for fulfilling the basic human need for social connection. Rather than enhancing well-being, however, these findings suggest that Facebook may undermine it.

Addiction has severe effects on day to day life

The findings indicate that Social Networking Sites are predominantly used for social purposes, mostly related to the maintenance of established offline networks. Moreover, extroverts appear to use social networking sites for social enhancement, whereas introverts use it for social compensation, each of which appears to be related to greater usage, as does low conscientiousness and high narcissism. Negative correlates of Social Networking Sites usage include the decrease in real life social community participation and academic achievement, as well as relationship problems, each of which may be indicative of potential addiction.

Spreads News of the same type liked by the reader and hence isolating him in his one thoughts

While platforms like Google and Facebook are famous for keeping watch on your browsing history for advertisement purpose, the news is also shared same way. Many times this news include What We want to read and hence sharing partial truth instead of complete one. Also, it played important role in last election in which social media campaigning was found more important that real campaigning.

Affects mental health

Social addiction can inflict a lot of damage to your psyche and mental health, which can lead to long-term effects on your personality and confidence, thereby influencing your future. Some of the mental health problems that you may suffer from due to a social media addiction are Insecurity, Cyberbullying, Social Anxiety, Distraction, Fatigue and Stress, Emotion Suppression and Peer Pressure

Gives you A False Sense of Connection

According to Cornell University's Steven Strogatz, social media sites can make it more difficult for us to distinguish between the meaningful relationships we foster in the real world and the numerous casual relationships formed through social media. By focusing so much of our time and psychic energy on these less meaningful relationships, our most important connections, he fears, will weaken.

Parents who are obsessed with social media are giving their kids an unhealthy complex

In a report published by Quartz Media, it was said that Social media affects parenting more than ever starting from Ignoring your child due to social media affection to posting his embarrassing photos/ incidents on it. There are many tweets or posts on Facebook in which parents share there child's story to get famous ( Like their child pees in a cup) What they don't see is it will destroy the future of their child and he may get bullied in school because of the same post.

Take a little break

While all of the above I've mentioned are problem or effects, there are many methods to avoid them.

There is a paper which explains how quitting social media affects your health. Do check if you wish (It is a paid copy. If you are interested after reading its abstract, you can message me for complete version). To control your social media usage i.e. to bring your addiction under control, you can start from limiting your usage wrt time.

Nobody is asking you to quit it as it might make you outdated but it's over usage can cause you mental illness.

PS: If you are wondering about the year mentioned in the title, it is the year when social media giant Facebook was created.

914

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 9

• 7d

At its inception, facebook was only limited to college students. Friendster was more popular then. It's when facebook opened to the public that it really took off.

People started experimenting with it to the point where it replaced real life interaction for many and FB, being a business, catered to this demand. That's where the problem lies.

It's all about moderation.

• 7d

Have to agree with this.

• 7d

That's why I don't use Facebook.

• 2d

very true

• 4d

Was proud of myself for not being addicted on fb like my friends then GAG came along lol

• 7d

very true

• 7d

social media is gay

• 6d

The internet is my life, I have no friends outside the Internet. It's really depressing

• 6d

Yeah it is. May be you should go outside and try to have a life. It is worth a try

• 6d

Then you should!

• 6d

I have been there hun, and if it hadn't been for that one person on the previous platform that I used to be on, I would have probably killed myself due to depression.
      And his story motivated me to work on myself, its never to late hun. Don't lose hope.

• 7d

I'm reading a book titled Irresistible by Adam Alter. basically, the Book is mainly about using technology wisely.

What Guys Said 14

• 7d

I didn't seriously use facebook til about 2010. I deleted by account in 2012 and didn't make another account till late 2013, early 2014. I personally don't see social media being the problem. The problem is escapism, which can be done with nearly anything. Social media is just a common form of escapism. But so are video games. Reading books. Watching TV (now Netflix). Surfing the internet doing other things other than social media. People would watch tv shows and feel the same things they do looking at instagram. Girls would get jealous over a hot girl in a tv show the same way they do over the instagram model now. It's the same thing.

There were plenty of people in my highschool I remember who would escape into reading books, rather than deal with people. It's just a readily available escape. If you're bored you can check your phone and "check out" mentally being in the room. Just like people did before talking on the phone as well. Or reading the newspaper back in the day. Social media, with handheld access to it is just the new hotness.

• 7d

I agree I always say some of these things about social media.. I also always knew I got depressed lookin at people post the best things atm that's happenin in they life.. Soon enough it became a big waste for me.. At least sites like FB.. Never got much into twitter..

• 7d

This is why I don't have social media. No drama (:
    And I actually do value my privacy.
    I don't see a point in social media.
    I actually call social media -> ANTI social media
    And sometimes I call it the modern cancer since there are terrible girls out there, who get upset over their boyfriend "liking" random pictures of girls. YUCK!!!

No thanks. I stay clear from it all. My time is much better invested elsewhere.

• 7d

All good reasons why I stay away from it.

• 7d

"Social" media is, IMHO a malign force that is spreading hate around the world. Recent conflicts have been made worse by the presence of "social" media.

• 7d

I don't have FB, Tumblr, Youtube, Snapchat, IG or any of that other bs. I don't even have Whatsapp. Honestly the more time you spend on that crap the more disconnected you get with reality and what matters.

• 7d

that is true but if you know how to use these people you can make a lot of money.

• 7d

i agree.

• 7d

who im i know you dude :3

• 7d

@xwbko hold the front door are you that troll from the tomb raider post?

• 6d

How is this any different than facebook? One could argue this is worse.

• 7d

Don't have a facebook, actually.

Though I plan to get one for networking and a social life and use it minimally. Basically a handful of pictures of me, the ability for people to message me, and thats it.

• 7d

"Friends" on FB aren't (necessarily) real friends.

• 7d

Agree. That was one of my points. However because I couldn't find proof for it, it didn't include it

• 7d

I agree

• 7d

this site is social media and you and I both just posted on it

• 5d

I grew up in the pre internet days where basic information was either hidden in libraries or unavailable. You brats don't know how lucky you are to have been raised in this time of total enlightenment. Also, social media can only hurt you if you actually give a damn about what strangers think of you.

• 7d

In 2004, Facebook was just a small site. Back then, Hi-5 and MySpace were the big things, but still Social Media weren't as "essential" as they are today. After all, back then you could only connect from your home or an Internet cafe.

It was about 2008 when Facebook really took off, and people who had no Internet connection so far, they did it just in order to have a Facebook account.

• 7d

Thanks for helpful information :) I just googled facebook's invention date and used it here. I really appreciate your help

• 7d

No problem.