How Social Media Affects Society

Hi everyone! Welcome back to a new take. And today, I'll be sharing with you factors on how social media affects our world. So sit back and enjoy!

How Social Media Affects Society

1. It makes communication easier

Yes! With social media, introverts can now communicate much better with their friends. Agreed?

2. It increases cyber bullying

Yes again! Whenever we stumbled upon a recent celebrity post, we see both negative and positive comments. The fact that people think Internet can make them say things they can't in real life, right?

3. People are likely to be influenced by the contents in it

Some posts are definitely inappropriate, which is why kids should be more careful! It will influence a child's mind faster than bacteria.

4. It's a great place for advertising

Poof! There we go, it's an ad. We hate ads, but we can't deny that ads are what keeps the free social media services going.

5. People are likely to compare themselves with the pictures in social media

Here you go! I'm not saying that everyone compares themselves to pictures of models. But, social media had created a standard body size on how women and men should look like.

So, I hope you guys enjoyed this article, do leave a comment below. Your opinions really matter to this 16 yr old teenager xD. Remember, if you've got nothing good to say, don't say anything at all! :-)

1725

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 25

• Sounds like some good highlights regarding social media. There are LOTS of people who I would not know where they were or what they were doing if it wasn't for social media. One of the downsides is that people use it while driving, which isn't safe. Also, some people post for advice instantly all of the time without thinking things through. I think posting for advice is great, just not at every whim without thinking.

• 1. Of course, the internet allwos for you to talk to literally anybody in the entire world who has an internet connection. It's pretty awesome.

2. I hate this term "cyber-bullying" so much. Oh no, someone typed in all caps at you, said some meany words. Whatever can you do... maybe close the appliaction, block the person, ignore the text on the screen, or use any other of the several options afforded to you to simply not see what that person said.

3. So lets not let children outside the house. Lock them in a soundproof dark room, covered in bubble wrap so that they can never be influenced by anything. "Think of the children" again, it's such a dumb thing. Just do your job as a good parent and they'll grow up understanding what's good and what's not good whilst also being able to appreciate humour.

4. Use ad block. It's literally free and blocks all ads. And ads are on the TV as well, but you can't block them, and unlike on a YouTube video, the ad break lasts a very long time and you can't skip any of them.

5. Ok. So don't do that. If you're upset because you're comparing someone who has spent a long time excercising and has a nice body to your body which maybe has a bit of flab, then don't do that. Why are you comparing yourself with other peoples standards to begin with?

• Oh, right, but I guess my responce doesn't matter because "it's not a good one". Sorry for not agreeing with you, I'll go back to my patriarchy cult.

• I don't use social media anymore. You listed the positives of social media, which is great, but there's a lot of negatives as well. That's why I quit Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Here are some examples of how social media used to effect me, and maybe you can relate.

-If a lot of people didn't like my photos or my statuses, I would feel like I wasn't liked by anyone, especially if they gave a good friend of mine a ton of likes.

-If someone unfriended me, I would take it personally, especially if they unfriended me and not our other group of friends.

-If someone I knew friended a majority of my friends except for me, I would get pissed off and it would eat at me.

Those are the ways that social media affected me. I used to to inflate my ego, and it wasn't a good thing.

Now... for women... it's different. I feel that social media makes women more egotistical. Go look at the Instagram of pretty women. They have so many followers and so many men sexualizing them in the comments. It makes women feel better than they really are and it gives them an inflated ego outside the realm of social media.

• All of thos things are true, but it also makes some people reluctant to communicate face-to-face in some situations where they should. It does make it much easier to communicate with people far away.

• It makes people less personable in real life and more prone to say things they wouldn't say in real life good and bad. For every person the experience is different. Just don't let it define u unintentionally.

• It’s much easier talking online. I can reread and edit what I say before actually saying it. It’s easier to be precise in how I say something, visually seeing my thoughts on the screen. Offline, once something leaves my lips it’s all or nothing.

• 80% of interpersonal communication is nonverbal. That's a big reason to not take anything you see online seriously.

• I would say before the internet people were heavily influenced by media in other ways, but good take

• hey dude, @xHoneyBeex is going to kick you out of GAG for being so stupid with everyone like this. And even if you come back and do the same thing over and over, you'll keep getting kicked out.

• @OldSchool_Metalhead ahhhh, now i see in my notifications there was multiple people on here but yea you're right only yours remained, which makes it seem like you were yelling at me haha. I genuinely took a look at several of my last opinions and was so confused how they might have made someone so mad haha! Well good on you for taking care of business

• lol no worries man everything's good XD unfortunately I found out through someone else that that guy makes accounts all the time when he gets kicked out so I know he'll be back soon.

• #6: It can bring out the worst (and sometimes the best) in a person. People can act nastier online than they ever would face to face.

• *social media affect. Not social media "affects."

"Media" is a plural word, the plural of "medium." It is akin to saying "mediums."

• It's a great way for idiots to make money too. I've been scamming Google ads for a long time by going to public computers and clicking on my own ads.

• Social media made me realize that lots of people have dog ears and a giant tongue. lol

• Re: 1. It makes communication easier

It makes the ability to interact with a wider array of people possible, yes. However, you mention or message someone on social media and they don't have to respond. They can easily ignore you which kinda defeats the entire purpose of interaction.

It also makes people comfortable with indirect, impersonal communication and under-develops their ability to communicate face-to-face. Being able to read body language and carrying on a conversation is being replaced by memes and emojis, which isn't going to help you out in the real world.

• @Return_of_Lionzzz nah bro, I had your mom suck mine. She was more than eager.

• Social media is cancer.

• Social media is boring lol.

• It has pros and cons like anything else

• nice post i like it!

• cyber bullying one of the downsides

• Interesting

• Social Media has affected me

• More from Guys
    5

What Girls Said 17

• In some ways social media is great when it comes to advertising or connecting to friends who are not living in your country anymore for example. The part i dont like is that people have forgot what being a friend means and they got too used to just leave you a message instead of calling you or going out with you to do something together.

• #1 is your best shot. Social media is a haven for introverts. What people call cyberbullying is often variable. If you can't stand a few nasty comments then I'd suggest you do some soul-searching. And people have always compared themselves to others. This is just a new platform to do that.

• I remember being younger and we’d go out for food and there would be no phone out on the table. There’d be no pictures taken of it to post on snap. It was amazing.
    We used to have to play games to keep us entertained and have fun. We used to actually talk and genuinely listen. Now whenever there’s 5 minutes silence we’re on some kind of app.
    God I sound old but yeah.

• You have more people today than ever before with social anxiety and are extremely socially awkward. People are so used to being behind a screen and interacting they just don't know how to do it face-to-face. It's really sad

• There both good and bad. Cyber bullying has become a huge problem. Before you just had to change school and you left your bully behind. Now he/she can follow you through media and continue.

The good, easier to communicate, open to so many more cultures, ideas and concepts. More exposure to differences.

• Let see facebook I only see it once a month to see how my friends are doing, and my crazy art page update it. Because I working on stuff. I can't elaborate too much because that revealing too much, uh let see, I rarely use ads I find that boring and I don't want to see myself as spam to other people, if I want to see myself not as spam I may want use quiz instead of ad vice-versa so maybe quiz app in future might something I use to bring audience to my page but for social media I believe helps creative side like not con artists but people who been never really got anywhere who stuck in boonies and need online footprint and those who now are able make presence are using as way make their business be known. Ad & app function is possible but I never tried it yet... I think what sort quiz I want to go for there might be few I want to set up but it have to wait.

• Social media has done both amazing and awful stuff.

• Nice take

• Agree

• Good list, good take

• Cool

• Fear of missing out.

• great post! thank's

• 101%

• I hate sociasocial media. The sooner it's gone, the better.

• Kewl

• Yeah ok.