A little about Venice

natured

I will be very personal with this MyTake, as I will post personal pictures, so be adviced that all the pictures you will see Below are either taken by me, or it's actually me on them...

I'd appreciate it very much if you respect my transparency and not missuse my pictures due to copyright but mostly out of respect.

It's easy to find pictures on the internet and just post them here and say " YES ITALY IS THIS AND THAT" But I think it's best if a local directly shows you her perspective through simple pictures taken with a phone.

I made sure to add some facts as you scroll down, make sure to read them and.

Pictures tend to loose quality when oploading on MyTakes so don't blame me.

I hope you can enjoy this short experience about my town.

A little about Venice

There are 177 canals in Venice. The S-shaped Grand Canal is the biggest and splits the city in two.

A little about Venice

Venice is sinking at the rate of 1-2 millimeters a year.

A little about Venice

The population of Venice has decreased from 120,000 to 60,000 in the last 50 years. Some experts believe Venice could be a ghost town by 2030 with only tourists visiting by day.

A little about Venice

The first woman in the world that graduated was born in Venice in 1646. This fact makes me so proud. It's also true that many women here care a lot about university and studies in general. I got a bachelor degree in Literature and Foreign languages.

A little about Venice

The first public casino in the world was opened in Venice in 1638... TODAY casinos are banned in Italy though LOL

A little about Venice

In 1608, the Council of Ten approved wearing masks only during the carnival. Those who broke the law were heavily punished. Punishments ranged from two years in prison to public beating and binding to the pillar of shame.

A little about Venice

There are about 350 gondolas and 400 gondolieri in Venice. On average, gondolas are 11 meters (36 feet) long and weigh around 600 kilos (1,322.8 lb)

The Love
The Love

Houses in Venice are numbered according to districts, not streets, making it difficult to find addresses, even for postmen. The rule of thumb is to look for a monument, shop, or landmark in close proximity. So ye,good luck trying to stalk lol.

A little about Venice

Venice is known for its bridges. There are 417 bridges in Venice, and 72 of those are private.

A little about Venice

The San Marco bell tower, or campanile, was built in the 12th century and collapsed in 1902. The tower was rebuilt to be exactly the same as the previous one. It is 98.6 metres tall, making it the fifth tallest bell tower in Italy.

A little about Venice
A little about Venice

Cars are strictly banned in Venice, where there are no roads, just footpaths and canals

As happy as I am to be able to live close to this beautiful and dreamy city, I'm also very devastated about Tourists behaviour. Sadly, our canals get nastier each day, due to the fact that many tourists just simply throw trash there as if it's normal. Oh and we catch them in the act NONSTOP....

And yes I say tourist because none of us locals are trash throwers in general, because ya know, we grew up getting hit my wooden spoons if we didm't keep ourselves, our rooms and our environment clean.

We literally keep the trash in our bags until we find a correct place to throw it away.

So, if you ever happen to visit my Town, i'd appreciate if you respect our already crazy dirty canals by not making it worse lol. Pretty please * puppy eyes*

I must say, I met spectacular Tourists from all around the world, and be sure that if you treat us and the town nicely we will notice, and we will give you a free tour and show you all the hidden spots.

Wishing you all the best

-D-

A little about Venice
43
7
7Girl Opinion
43Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guys

• Floppy2112

Venicia is a beautiful town, but is rife with problems, mainly because it a city of water, and salt water on top of that. I liked Venice a lot, but it primarily is just a shopping district and it's super touristy. I am sure the natives are leaving simply because of the pure fact that they cannot afford it. It's super expensive.
    And for the most part, Venice does not really reflect real northern Italy because it's mainly a tourist trap. I worked in Milan for a few months so I traveled as much as I could in the surrounding areas on the weekends. And no working there isn't any better than working anywhere else. It's just work. The best restaurant I experienced in Italy was in Milan, it was amazing. I am sure you could drop me in the middle of the city and I can still find my way there by heart.
    I do like the people and the culture, though it's stranger than we may think. They definitely do not think like Americans, but everybody was always extremely nice to me.
    And when you are in a foreign country for any duration, do you best to pick up some of the language, it just makes life easier on everybody if you at least try. There are far fewer English speakers than you think.

Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?
  • Hans222

I recognize all of it: very beautiful city totally saturated by tourists.
    I haven't left any waste behind, that's not my style. But some people just don't care about a garbage can 😩.
    Who's the classy lady on all those pics? 😉

Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?
    • natured

LOL GUESS WHO 🤣
      I'm so happy you liked it Hans ❤️

Most Helpful Girls

• Anonymous

I am applying to study in Italy for 2022 and Venice is one of the cities I am applying for. Although I am really worried about the whole lifestyle change, I am also very excited because Venezia is lovely in all which I have seen <3

Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?
    • natured

You will enjoy it here trust me, once you make friends you will have to worry about EVER STUDYING lol.
      I wish you the best of luck

• Siren777

Loved it and will always love it. I will go back sometime again soon. Great MyTake!

Like 4 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • natured

Thank you I'm glad you liked it. Is your profile pic from the app Episode? I love that app LOL i'm 32 and I read some before bed time LOOOOL

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

541
  • ChrisMaster69

Really good my take.

yes agreed on the price of tourism with Venice.

it’s a great place to visit.

we have Offices in Milan and Rome, so out there a fair bit.

Also used to go to Rimini a fair bit, Bologna is lovely.

one bit I love with Venice are the Islands on the Lagoon, Glass, lace and Monastery one I think St Francis of Assisi

Like 2 People
    Reply
  • TruthBringer

Now those are some facts I actually never knew, despite visiting Venice a few years ago. I've always longed to return there. Such a magical city, especially when you exist the tourist hotspots in the center away from all those tourists. I will surely return to Venice, but this time with my girlfriend. She is also very excited

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • Alejandro3000

What's happening? What do you mean by sinking?
    Are the canal water levels rising or the land sinking down? No wonder people are leaving that's really concerning. I wonder what's causing this to even happen.
    Tourists can be really annoying they have no respect at all. Perhaps the authorities should employ people to confront them and hand out immediate fines.

Like 2 People
    Reply
  • Phoenix98

Yeah Venice is a pretty cool place I personally would like to go for the classical Italian art and architecture. As a classical painter/artist I have a lot of respect for the classic Italian artists and builders.

Would love to go and see them in person one day.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • _Aragorn

Thank you for sharing your photos, the cities story and your message with us. I learned new things from you about the city. It is sad to hear that tourists are not as sensitive as the citizens regarding binning the waste. Please start an action (Change. org maybe?) so that the municipality will actively makes sure rules are taken into consideration by tourists. No tourist is more important that the historical city.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • collie22

i like your pictures you have a good eye for a making photos

Like 2 People
    Reply
    • natured

It's one of my passions that comes before writing lol. Thank you for noticing <3

• Still-alive

just a beautiful city and a very rich history too. i remember reading about marco polo stopping there on his adventure

Like 1 Person
    Reply
    • natured

Babe, Marco Polo IS from Venice 🤣 he was born here

• ah sorry been ages i thought he just stopped there on his way to the rest of his journey. i do recall he was from the italian peninsula somewhere though :P

• natured

He could be my great great great great grandpa's granpa or something like that who knows 🤣🤷🏻‍♀️

• Grond21

I would absolutely love to visit Venice! I think it's a beautiful city, and such a massive shame that it's sinking and nothing can be done about it. So much history, so much beauty there! It's one of my top places I would love to visit

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • AnthonyJ01

I miss Italy. I was there from Dec. 1996 until Apr. 1990. The food is great and so are the people. So much old Architecture. I went to Venice twice Z well 3 times because 1 time did not really count because I was stuck at the Airport doing security for a week and I did not really consider it as being stuck. It was my job.

Like 2 People
    Reply
  • Nik1hil

My friends make fun of me if I pick the random trash they drop on street.. And keep with me until I find a Dustbin to put trash in..

I think I will fit perfectly in Venice

LikeDisagree 3 People
    Reply
  • DJB72

Beautiful pictures. I visited Venice about 30 years ago. It's such a special place and I'd love to have more time there.

Like 2 People
    Reply
  • Daniela1982

I read an article about Venice and I thought it said they have had to raise houses there to keep it above water. I think if 200 people sneezed at once it would sink. What do kids do if there are no yards to play in?

Reply
  • GoodGuyBreakingBad

Thanks for sharing your MyTake with us very well done and It's amazing how different places in the World do exist... I do appreciate your kindness and your time for posting this :) :D :-)

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • KrakenAttackin

Venice is a great city, crazy expensive, but very cool.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
    • natured

It is expensive, that's why it's better to meet locals so they can show you extremely cheap places to drink and eat + amazing views so :)

• MudRucker

I think of the "Bridge of Sighs" when I think of Venice.

I am American. However I am of 100% Sicilian decent.

Spent 3 weeks in and around Rome. I wish I could spend a year their.

Like 2 People
    Reply
  • SurströmmingLover

I've visited Venice in 2007 with my parents. Now that I moved to neighboring Slovenia, I can't wait to go there again. It's such a magical city and as you say, it's a pity that tourists ruin the whole experience.
    Question for you: Would you dare stepping foot on the Poveglia island? :P

Reply
  • IDontBelieveIt

That was a great insight is it still know as one of the romantic cities of the world?

What is wrong with trashy people, can the locals throw the toshers into the canals to retrieve THEIR belongings? It's a thought 🤔🤣

Reply
    • natured

Well locals found many valuable things in the canals, rings, bracelets diamonds and so on... but that is not tragic, because if you loose a ring or jewlery it's an obvious accident... but throwing a plastic bottle willingly makes me (us) really really mad.
      It is considered one of the romantic cities of the world, but they have no Idea that the canals where actually canals of POOP centuries ago... so ye... what a shitty adventure huh

• Vietnemin

Yes Venice is famous for good reason. Marco Polo is from Venice and visited my ancestors in China bringing gunpowder to Europe. And this European weaponry was born! And it was all because of Venice! (Just kidding)

Disagree 1 Person
    Reply
  • Avicenna

Very interesting, thanks... although I've been to Italy numerous times, I haven't made it to Venice yet

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • karaspara

Looks so beautiful thanks I've always been intrigued by Venice and it's somewhere I really hope to visit in the next couple of years. ( Don't worry I promise to be respectful when I do )

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • Show More (26)