Surviving the roads of Italy

natured

Living in italy has its perks, obviously, I love it here, I would never leave my land and I would never even think about visiting some other place for more than a month.

Surviving the roads of Italy

The humid warm weather

The smell of food

The smell of sea

The greetings from our neighbors that hang out in their balconies 24/7

The constant chattering in the streets

The warmth of my people

The sound of the Vespa (It's an Italian scooter)

Just everything !!!

by the way this sign generally means "I DONT CARE"
by the way this sign generally means "I DON'T CARE"

I'd miss my home too much if I left, I'm used to this, and SO MANY foreigners fall in love with our country but they freak out when it comes to driving...

We organize random hangouts with our American neighbors often, since I live literally NEXT TO THE American BASE, and I always have to be there because yes I'm the only one that actually speaks fluent English....sigh

So meeting and seeing Americans is a daily routine for natives in my town. And let me tell you, we get along, we include them in our family meetings, we invite them over, we have different hangouts, I mean, this is how Italy funcions and this is how we're raised, to open doors to everyone. And our American friends seem to enjoy us and this " DIFFERENT PLANET" as they call it.

What is normal to us natives might not be normal for them though, and it's understandable.

DRIVING

They have constant heart attacks, a lot of them even refuse to drive AT ALL ... most of their cars are automatic while ours are with marches.

I mean, I have no Idea how traffic works in America i've never been there, but I have been told that their roads are controlled all the time, that you literally get your car confiscated if you just pass a red light .... LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENT SECTION HOW ROADS ACTUALLY WORK IN YOUR COUNTRY ...

Because let me tell you in our country they don't ... lol Unless there is a random patrol that stops random people that might or might not drive fast... they rarely catch someone on speed because the drivers ALLERT EACH OTHER from the opposite side of the road, so you automatically slow down, well this might be common in other parts of the world too i don't know... LET ME KNOW

Surviving the roads of Italy

Anyhows...

It's true that us Italians drive in a very unorthodox way, but trust me, if you understood our habits you'd understand that we're not dangerous, we're not aggressive we usually just stop and cuss each other out then move on. ( YES A LOT OF HAND GESTURES THERE) ...

THE HORN

Our use of the horn seldom signal of annoyance or danger just like in every parto of the world, but also to greet our best friend's 3rd degree cousins wife... When waiting at a traffic light as a favour to the first car in row, who may not have seen the light change from red to green (after 2 seconds NO TIME THERE)..

Sometimes we even comunicate with it

• Two times (most used) : MOVE YOU IMBECILE !!!
  • Very long horn : YOU JUST CUT MY ROAD YOU PORK WE ALMOST KILLED EACH OTHER!!!
  • Very quick and short ones : YOU'RE BEING SLOW
  • A single quick one : GREETING A FRIEND OR FAMILY MEMBER
  • Long ones with little breaks in between: SOCCER VICTORY GAMES (this Sunday for sure)

BEING CLOSE

Something that tourists notice as well is the space between the cars in general, its our tendency to do so. I think it's because we have a social disposition. We lay close to each other on beaches, we sit next to other people in bars even if we don't know them, we just like to stay close and we don't mind being close physically...

You must immagine how social distancing was hard for us during the Pandemic...

As a matter of fact, we're known to be catastrophic in traffic, but we're also known to be decent in cooking, dressing and living life, if you haven't tried just add a visit to Italy to your bucket list, you won't regret it...

Surviving the roads of Italy

Thanks to everyone or as we say "Grazie a tutti"

-D-

Surviving the roads of Italy
25
1
1Girl Opinion
25Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guys

• lucas262
    Iv always wanted to travel to Italy, always wanted to see Rome and Venice. History is my passion and there's so much of that I'm Italy, not to mention Italian women 💘 the food is great.

My question is about how much is travel to and from, hotels etc.
    Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?
    • natured

It depends where you go, I live 30 minutes from Venice, and tourists do spend a LOT when they book hotels in the center of Venice. I'd always suggest to book hotels or B&B's or even better AirBnB. Thank you for your comment though.

• Vietnemin
    Mama mia Io amo l'Italia! I went to Firenze, Vernazza, Cinque Terre, and Milano (just a little bit). I love Italian culture and country but time pace is much slower than what I'm used to in America. Which is not bad just different.
    LikeDisagree 3 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • natured

Thank you so much, yes my American friends say the same and they are actually appreciating that we take our time, because they do the same, they fall into our steps and actually notice and understand why are mostly happy lol.

Most Helpful Girl

• Alyssa11
    Man Italy is such a beautiful country and the culture is amazing. I’ve only visited Rome and it was stunning... beyond my expectations. I can’t wait to go back, Milan is next on my list.
    Like 3 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • natured

THank you so much, I hope you will enjoy it even more when you come back, I live near Venice, and it's really pretty here as well. You should try
      Thank you for reading

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

023
  • YOLOIFIC
    Don’t know who told you that about the US but while laws differ from state to state generally if your car is getting impounded (confiscated) for running a red light their would have to be some other thing as well such as outstanding warrant, expired or no operators license, and/or vehicle registration, inspection, insurance is expired.

Running a stop sign or traffic light is a civil infarction. You get a fine, you pay the fine or fight it in court.

It requires a probable cause a criminal offense has been committed to face arrest and/or vehicle impoundment. Thank you Fourth Amendment, no unreasonable search and seizures. Thought if your want to get technical an officer has discretion during a traffic stop. If you’re an jerk or disrespectful they can find a reason to make an arrest and/or impoundment if they look hard enough. Conversely if you’ve going to be arrested but you you got a passenger with a valid license they can show some compassion and not impound the car. Again, the officer’s discretion dictates everything which is based on the attitude and demeanor of the accused 9 times out of 10.
    Like 2 People
  • MannMitAntworten
    Italy is Vesper and ti y car country. The narrow roads and causeways came long before the modern automobile. When renting a car in Italy, get the auto accident/damage insurance! It is not a matter “if”, but how often you likely “will”, hit or be hit something. Particularly those walls on them narrow roads.
    Like 1 Person
  • zagor
    I was impressed by the people driving their motorbikes 60 mph through narrow alleys - on wet, smooth cobblestones.
    Like 1 Person
  • oddwaffle
    Americans will use horn for whatever reason.

If you run the red light and get caught and the cop doesn't like you. You will not be allowed to drive. But you can not leave your car. So... they will take it for you if you pay them or you pay someone else to take your car back home.
    • natured

Oh lord i'd be terrified, thank you for reading and commenting

• FatherJack
    Your Spanish & even more so , Portuguese cousin people are at least as crazy on the roads. They drive in much the same way , the mannerisms are very similar. Witnessed this in Roma , Napoli , Malaga , Mallorca ( esp Palma ) , and craziest of all , even on steep drop cliff roads , Madeira & Porto Santo.
  • andreasderjuengere
    I have experienced Genova and Milano during rush hour.
    It's indeed a... challenge.
    But I agree that your chaos has a method that somehow works :)

In my own place - Thailand - the chaos is doubled... but the method went missing :D
  • FakeName123
    I remember that one time when I was on vacations in Hungary. I had two cars driving in the middle of the road despite there being clear marked lines (aka they just drover over the lines and took up 2 lanes). Both were italians. Just saying.
  • IDontBelieveIt
    Crikey are you saying Italy's roads are worse than The Étoile, Arc de triomphe 12 lane roundabout I would only drive a tank there if I could borrow one!
  • kevyhanma
    Hey do you know why other white people hate Italians
    Like 1 Person
    • natured

I don't get your question hun, care to explain? Because this argument is HUGE lol

• kevyhanma

Not for the football I’m super glad italy won but some of white people at my job didn’t like me because I’m black but I noticed the also weren’t very fond of these Italian guys I worked with too and I was confused because they were white too and pretty nice guys a little sarcastic but nice

• natured

I understand now, and yes i noticed that us Italians are not considered REALLY WHITE, why? I have no idea... might be that we're just kind of our own people, pasta race? Spaghetti and meatball race? I don't know you tell me? Yes being sarcastic is one of our natural habits, and usually other nations get easily offended which we don't get... But I think we never really consider ourselves as TYPICAL WHITE FOLKS, since we are very very very warm by heart, we open doors to everyone even strangers, we invite people to our family reunions and so on,.. even though it's weird that a certain color has to behave a certain way this is nonesense to me... I think people are people, oh and if they don't like you because of your skin color then they need therapy... You're a human being and you are your own persona and that's what counts.

• UnknownReflection
    This is so cool!

I'm an American with an Italian ancestry. I love Italy so much and this was enjoyable and interesting to read.

Football/soccer is my favorite sport. With that said, my favorite team is AC Milan since i was a kid and i always supported the national team. Looking forward to win Euro 2020 against England and be crowned as champions. 😁🇮🇹🥾

One of my dream destinations is Italy, specially Milan, Florence and Nap.

Speaking of roads, it depends, but i can vouch for that! Places like LA or New York in particular are the gods of traffic 😂

Sending love and good wishes to you, Italy, and all Italians. 💓🇮🇹 🙏
  • Alejandro3000
    Ohhhh so that's why my Italian ex-gf loved watching the grandprix, omg.
    Like 1 Person
  • Nik1hil
    i want to spend a week walking the streets of VENICE before i die
    • Nik1hil

And It would be amazing if an Italian girl would be willing to walk with me as we talk over stupid topics walking the streets..

• natured

I live 30 minutes away from Venice lol, well you will have a lot to handle if you decide to walk around with an Italian chick. I hope you will sooner or later be able to visit our country, you will love it.

• Nik1hil

I want an Italian girl.. For 2 reasons

-she knows the locals well.
      - And with a Guy it will look gay! Or I will start acting like a monkey.. If bromance happened..
      - with a girl around I will behave.. Because I will be uncomfortable! And by the time after 7 days I will be comfortable with her, my time will end..

• Tstrbrainer
    Aha horns, they are common here 😂, we horn for everything.
    Like 1 Person
  • bingbongbangbung
    What about the Mafia? Don't they control Italy and make it dangerous?
    Like 1 Person
  • Supernormal
    Oh my , I want to visit Italy right now!!! I mean this very minute. I'm I there yet? 🤨🤨
    Disagree 1 Person
  • Jamie05rhs
    Oh, so you're Italian! No wonder you're so beautiful.

Very nice take, by the way.

To answer your question about driving in America: yes, we have very strict law enforcement on the roadways. (But sometimes it depends on the locality.). Usually if you do something wrong, and you do it enough times, you will get caught. (Sometimes even if you do it once!). But the most important thing is to watch out for the cameras. If you break the traffic law, and it's caught on camera, you're screwed.
  • Manuel2
    Never been there since I was very young. So got some one else to do the driving
    • I don't even give A trippi about traffic lights. I hate traffic lights, esp the red one

• msc545
    Like everything in the US, driving here sucks. Be glad you don't live here.
    Disagree 1 Person
  • Homer79
    Looks beautiful my uncle went to Parenti , Italy my dad’s 2nd youngest brother.
  • stuntbrain
    Keep your butthole tight
    Disagree 1 Person
  • Show More (3)