Winner of Miss Turkey Tweeted Her Way Out of the Title

LittleSally

Itir Esen - miss Turkey 2017 was stripped of her title after one of her former tweets came to light.

"I am having my period this morning to celebrate the July 15 martyrs' day. I am celebrating the day by bleeding a representation of our martyrs' blood."

Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Turkish president, often talks about martyrs who died resisting the coup.

Now, although she stated this tweet was in no way political in nature, and she meant nothing wrong by it, the cards fell where they did and she was dismissed as miss Turkey 2017.

Do you think she was inappropriate by equating her period to the deaths of martyrs who fought for their country?

Or was she just trying to, in some odd adolescent way, connect her biological experience with her countries'?

In my opinion, it was inappropriate and insensitive, but on the other hand adolescents do these kinds of things all the time... She might've been reprimanded, but stripping her of her title might've gone too far...but then again, native Turks may disagree with me.

What do you think?

30
15

Most Helpful Guy

• OlderAndWiser
    This is a thoughtless comment that is over the top. When someone holds a title like this, they are held to a higher standard because they serve as a role model for many younger girls. Perhaps you would excuse any other teen who made this comment but not someone who wants to be a role model.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• Turkish_Delight
    I really don't care about the loss of her crown. The tweet is obnoxious, no doubt about that. It is disrespect.
    The new Miss Turkey is more beautiful anyway:
    i.sozcu.com.tr/.../...zel-fotograflari-yepyeni.jpg
    Is this still revelant?
    • I'll agree with that statement.

• you are prettier than this woman , you should try to become miss turkey xD

• @Muhammad1999 Thank you very much, my friend. But I have self esteem issues. 😅😅😅

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

1429
  • Eugene
    While I don't really care about "beauty contests", as it's something you can't really measure, thus it only matters how many wealthy cocks girls had to suck to acquire the title, however:

>> "I am celebrating the day by bleeding a representation of our martyrs' blood."

>> "celebrating.. by bleeding"

i0.kym-cdn.com/.../dee.jpg
  • Sadly_It_Fell_Off
    Scraping the barrel a bit and the tweet is just ridiculousness in itself.
    Did she deserve to lose her title? Yes, because she is talking about martyrs dying for their cause and including her menstruation in the same sentence. Its inappropriate and makes a mockery of what they died for.
  • passionoflove
    I’m Turkish and i believe that people make mistakes but maybe they could’ve asked if she regretted tweeting that or what was the aim behind it. This situation is going to come up to her later in her life and it just feels bad she will be facing so much hatred at such a young age. By the way, she is a friend of my brother’s best friend.
  • snowshy
    Hmm... I'm torn. Her comment was stupid but I do not think she meant harm by it. I've seen titles get taken away for much lighter reasons and not be taken away for much bigger comments so by the sheer nature of the competition's inconsistency, it's hard for me to care what she said.
  • lyannamormont
    I mean it is clearly inappropriate to say that but on the other hand Turkish government gets oversensitive and offended by every single thing. Anyways, I am glad she is out of first place because the girl who came second originally is much better looking. Hahah.
  • RationalMale
    The Miss USA or Miss whatever contests have been political for a long time, just the game.

Remember Carrie Prejean, who was outright hated for her stance of marriage being between a man and woman? And that was one year after her State passed Proposition 8 by a popular vote.
  • everybodygetshigh
    It's not just that, she also said the following thing in another tweet:
    "erdoğanın yarrağını yiyin zaaaaaaaa" which means "suck erdogan's dick zaaaaaa"

The wordish thing "zaaaaa" is a kind of a thing that you say after insulting a person o group of person in turkish slang language. Mostly used by brainless, dipshit teenagers.
  • ATuairiscean
    I am with your sentiment that it is an awkward possibly attention seeking statement that happens often in todays world - I often think back to my teens and twenties feeling that if social media was as prevalent then as it is now I might be in a whole lot of trouble. To your question, I feel it is a bit harsh I don't think she meant any offence - To any budding beauty queens keep all tweets to world peace and ending hunger in future.
  • lord_chilled
    I think it was right. When someone is in a position where a whole country can watch him/her, and he/she basically represents that country, its necessary that they put a good example. An idiotic tweet like that, wether it was disrespectful or just childish, is not acceptable for someone in such a position. Especially not in a conservative country like turkey.
  • anewgirl
    What a strange thing to say. But I don't think it was worthy of losing her title.
  • Louloubum
    Innocent mistake, misconstrued intentions. She was making a joke, but the stakes were too high. They can't all be gold.
  • HereToProveMyPoint
    Personally I think it was inappropriate of her to say this but it's too far to strip her of the title, it's not THAT bad
  • CubsterShura
    I'm not sure what to say about this. But if she belonged to our nation and posted about our martyrs like that, I'd say she deserves to be shot in front of the monument in early morning.
  • Nik1hil
    Basically i see know sense, the models and beautiful people should have a right to Pardon in speech! because since they are beautiful they usually don't have brains,. .
  • rocksongwriter
    Can't wait to see what she'll do for Armenian Genocide Day.
  • the-mad-german
    THIS is miss turkey?

... lol omg i know a turkish girl in my hood who looks better than this "miss"
  • yulbsari
    Seriously? great distraction from the issues of dictatorship and the disappearance of human rights...
  • Gypsy_x
    More than anything else, the tweet was effing stupid.
  • Cuin79
    I am astounded. Her insight has the power of mythology, poetry and mysticism. I love this woman.
  • D_Bone_Steak
    She should've painted her face with her period blood like the feminists her in the USA do!
  • SaintRichie23
    Maybe our President will pardon her, and she'll get her title back!
  • DiegoO
    Johana Hausman would approve the message :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VlK-neOypDM
  • GFEDATY
    that shouldn't have happened to her I love that first outfit
  • Dargil
    I say don't give her the car keys or leave her around sharp objects.
  • Vyrakh
    What she said was dumb, but pulling her for that is even dumber.

Censorship is always the first sign of insecurity.
    • BeeRight

Turkey is known for their censorship though, so it's not really surprising. The teachers have always been instructed what to and to not teach which was part of what lead to the coups.
      During the coups they shut down internet access in the country, took (with force) control of the news stations to deliver their nationalist messages. It's at least characteristic of the country to censor something even so small as a beauty pageant.

• Intraluminal
    I think she was being ironic, and funny as hell. Of course I'm not Turkish, so...
  • cadans
    Her aunt is really famous actrist in Turkey.. she comes from famous family.. But i didn't like her tweet too.. its really unnecessary.. i belive it was her innocent mistake..
  • DonkeyRick69
    Because she's representing her country she's supposed to be beyond reproach and non political.
  • April10
    I don't think it was anything wrong that would warrant this type of response
  • zagor
    That's pretty gross. Also, why are her boobs so low?
    • "why are her boobs so low?"

^^ based on the proportions visible in these pictures, she's probably about 6' tall

• Nice222
    I kinda like that tweet, and that she felt comfortable enough to tweet about her period.
  • OldS0ul
    Wow, poor taste.
  • 8string
    That's a weird ass thing to say.
  • Browneye57
    She's an idiot.
  • cupidkisses
    didn't like her
  • COCOCHANEL
    i agree that her successor is prettier
  • Anifauqa
    the world IS political, no matter what you say
  • AlwaysBelieving
    I don't need to hear about that stuff.
  • SuccessfulHornDog
    She was mocking them
  • licor43
    It was misguided if nothing else.
  • RoBesPieRRe
    She should cover up her boobs.
  • Fortheholidays
    I wonder his she feels now
  • Asiantrash
    Gabul gabul