A danger to The Carolinas and Virginia: Hurricane Florence

Update: 9/12/18 at 12:12 AM Eastern. Florence has shifted south a little bit. The storm is expected to hit the Carolina Coast at Wilmington and Myrtle Beach. It is expected to linger and head into the Carolinas, Georgia, and Eastern Tennessee. Most of Virginia looks like it will be spared compared to the last model, but will still be affected.

As it looks right now the inland of NC and VA are in the path of a potentially historic and dangerous storm. There are possibilities that NC's Metro areas of Greensboro, Raleigh, Fayetteville, Wilmington, and Jacksonville. As well as VA Metros of Hampton Roads, Richmond, Roanoke, Danville, and Lynchburg are all right in direct target zones.

The storm is rapidly strengthening and is now a category four hurricane. ALL models paint this getting bigger in the next 24 hours. It will approach the coast Thursday evening and slow down to a crawl. Nobody knows if it will be a category three, four, or five storm when it makes landfall. There are three possibilities with this storm.

1. It comes ashore near Myrtle Beach and goes inland very slowly. Utter destruction around where the eye comes ashore. Outer Banks spared and Hampton Roads spared. Inland SC and NC devastated with days of torrential rains.

2. It comes ashore near Wilmington or Jacksonville NC. Horrible destruction from high winds and 15-20 foot storm surge near the eye landfall location. Outer Banks hit with 5-8 foot storm surge and winds strong enough to knock down trees but not destroy or damage too many buildings. Hampton Roads would experience similar conditions to Isabel a decade ago with flooding and many power outages and lots of rainfall flooding but otherwise spared the worst. Inland NC and VA including the mountains would experience massive flooding that could kill dozens or hundreds depending on where the worst rainfall sets up. It could last for three or four days in these inland areas because the storm stalls out.

3. It hovers off the Cape Hatteras seashore of NC for 24-48 hours before slowly moving west. If the eye grazes the coast and sits for a prolonged period of time as a category four or five, it would completely destroy the southern part of the Outer Banks including Rodanthe and Hatteras. Anybody staying would most likely lose their lives. Nags Head and points north would have destruction that has not been seen in over 100 years. The big cities in Hampton Roads(Norfolk, VA Beach) would experience the worst hurricane in 150 years leading to many fatalities and weeks or months with no power. Once the storm moves inland, the catastrophic flooding would then occur in the mountainous areas.

Just a quick update: The cone is shifting farther west and is predicted to make landfall near Wilmington. The storm will then head for Raleigh then head due west towards the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Western part of NC.

#HurricaneFlorence

#ThoughtsforNCSCVATNandGA

15
21

Most Helpful Girls

• Topaz171
    I think it was even mentioned that we haven’t had anything this major in the Carolinas since Hazel and Hugo back in the 80s. Hopefully the update is soon cause Im hearing different spots on where this hurricane is hitting, which is making me more anxious on how it’s gonna turn out. However, from what I’ve seen on the new 15minutes ago, my area is getting so far 3-5’ of rain, but Im more concerned about wind damage it could bring. However further up in NC with Raleigh and Greensboro is getting it worse. stay safe and get prepared!
    Is this still revelant?
  • veronicasegura
    This is a good site to spent time on. I just stumbled upon your informative blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your posts.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guys

• bubbatxman
    Murrell’s Inlet? I have a friend who lives near the beach and chose to ride it out with his family. I thought it was an incredibly dumb and dangerous decision, but this guy eats risk for lunch. I hope they came out ok, but would not be surprised if they don’t.
    Is this still revelant?
    • It is suoosed to hit that area more later tonight

• PapaFranku
    The east coast right now.
    Is this still revelant?
    • The red thingy is heading towards the white thingies with a bug green thingy

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

1319
  • linds34
    Hopefully everybody listens to the authorities and evacuates, a category 4 storm is not worth messing around with!
  • Rcjh1987
    Is it just me or is the hurricanes that are in September the worst?
    • It's not just you. Most of the worst ones are in September. That goes for Hugo and Fran which hit in 89 and 96 respectively

• Rcjh1987

Last year I went on a cruise to the Bahamas and we couldn't go to key west. Our cruise was 5 days and started on the 25th. It's been awhile since NC Sc have been hit like that right?

• The last major hurricane of this caliber was Hugo in 89

• lyannamormont
    I hope the update won't be "escalating to the cat 5, cuz I am in VA evacuation zone, ordered to evacuate tomorrow by noon, but I can't until Thursday morning. I am scared.
    • It looks as though it will be a 5 soon. I don't know you're situation, but you should leave asap.

• Lovethecountry
    Hope it's not as bad as predicted and hope everyone stays safe! Be patient with the First responders and utility workers, and everyone else trying to help get lives back to normal as soon as possible. I know some have already headed that way to help
  • Logorithim
    I hope the damage from this storm isn't as bad as expected and I hope everyone in its path stays safe
  • NatureBeauty
    People there should stay safe and take cover

There are also two other hurricanes as well

One is heading towards the Caribbean
    • Yeah my thoughts are with Caribbean too, got hit hard last year. If anything I hope it avoids Cuba or just disappears!

• Likes2drive
    It’s going to be really bad, hopefully they evacuated the coastline by now, I’ve been watching it and I think it’s going to cause a lot of destruction, luckily I’m far north of it
  • ATuairiscean
    Saw a bit of this on news last night - Looks scary - Hope all turns out okay for you guys
  • yulbsari
    Serious business... hope everyone uses common sense and stays safe... I have already heard that many are ignoring the warnings...
  • clampfan101
    I feel sorry for places with strong storms that come so often. I’d probably see it as being at war with weather in that situation.
  • MidnightCowboy
    This happens when we let the oceans warm up and allow climate change go nutty

Stay safe
  • jacquesvol
    Courage Carolinians. But you'll get more help than Puerto Rico.

Why? You have the right to vote.
  • TripleAce
    Every year lol... I’m surprised people even wanna live there... like every year you have to go through this..
    • Hurricanes really don't hit the Carolinas this bad often maybe every few years

• TripleAce

Doesn’t like Jacksonville get hit almost every year though?

• Florida yes

• Massageman
    Nice take. We're praying that the storm will underachieve and that damages will be less than expected.
  • jon28805
    Hopefully it won’t be as destructive as they estimate. But it’s definitely a dangerous storm.
  • SarahsSummer
    Stay safe.
  • Emma_240302
    I’m traveling to Columbia this week
  • RedRobin
    Nice take
  • VixenRach
    Nice take 😊
  • Thanks for keeping us posted on the storm!!!
  • BornFree
    Stay safe to everyone there
  • BillieJean1070
    Batten down the hatches!
  • yeah and I live in VA.
  • NEOTUNIA2U
    Not surprised.
  • red_knight
    Hope that everything works out
  • Eryxx
    Nice myTake.
  • Nice222
    Good take
  • RIVERTAY888
    great take they will all be washed away
  • Thanks for mytake
  • CT_CD
    Interesting myTake
  • Guanfei
    Just blow on it to make a counter wind.