Upskirting is now a criminal offense in the UK

UPSKIRTING MADE A CRIMINAL OFFENCE IN THE UK FROM April 2019

Upskirting has been made a criminal offence in England and Wales after an 18-month campaign.

Festival-goer Gina Martin was targeted at an outdoor gig in 2017 when a man put his phone between her legs and took pictures of her crotch.

She reported it to police, but discovered he had not broken the law.

A bill to outlaw it has received Royal Assent, meaning offenders will face being jailed for two years and being put on the sex offenders' register.

Ms Martin told the Press Association that it had been "a long time coming", but said women were "finally protected".

I was a victim of 'upskirting' - but I'm fighting back
Upskirting ban 'also protects men in kilts'
'Pants protest' against Commons row MP
Ms Martin was watching the The Killers perform at British Summer Time music festival in London's Hyde Park when the incident happened.

A few days later, she posted about it on Facebook and it went viral, with other women sharing their experiences.

An online petition to get her case re-opened received 50,000 signatures and she wrote an article for the BBC as she continued to campaign to make it illegal.

The objection
Liberal Democrat MP Wera Hobhouse gave her support to the campaign and brought a private members' bill to the Commons, backing the creation of an upskirting offence.

But Conservative MP Sir Christopher Chope - who regularly speaks out about private members' bills - shouted "object" and blocked its progress.

Ms Martin said his intervention "took the campaign stratospheric" and the objection "made people even more angry than they were already".

Soon after, Theresa May became involved, calling his actions "disappointing" and promising the government would back the campaign,

Days later, the Voyeurism (Offences) (No. 2) Bill was put before Parliament.

On Tuesday, it passed its final stage in the House of Lords and, from April, police will be able to arrest people on suspicion of upskirting.

Ms Martin said: "It's a bit surreal, Royal Assent is the final step in an exhausting amount of work. It's become part of my life."

But she added: "There's a lot of work still to do. A change in law is a huge thing, it sets a precedent but it doesn't change people's opinions.

"There's a huge job to do in creating narratives around this thing, we still see 'smaller' sexual assaults as not such a problem but it's a massive issue.

"It has been a long time coming but we are finally protected in every scenario - as we should always have been."

Theresa May welcomed the change in the law in a tweet.

1530

Most Helpful Girls

• Good! I wish it were illegal here.

• Hopefully it won't be too long before the rest of the world follows.

• Would I not be right in thinking that a few American States have already imposed this.

• I’m not sure, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Most Helpful Guys

Join the discussion

1328
  • Couldn't believe Chope blocked it, did some research and he's done it loads of times. (FGM bills and such).
    He claims he does it because private members bills can be passed without debate or airing in the commons and everything should always be debated first, I would see it as a fair argument but unnecessary for obvious things if it wasn't for the fact that he himself sponsors private members bills

• @Jenny4455 He is, and has always been, a complete and utter idiot, and a laughing stock within the House Of Commons.

• Yeah, it may have been an overlooked law but honestly did we really need to get there men? I tell you what, some men have thoughts and jokes but then you stop and say yeah but I am not going to do that because that is not right. It is sad that this did have to become a law. I will say that if I was an officer I would assume that men would be more classy than that, but I guess not...

• The creeps and pervs are quaking in their stolen panties ☺️🖕🏾

• It has always been a crime. But 2 years is too much. What a joke. And you think anyone will care if a girl did something similar to a guy? Good luck with that. The world is against men in every way possible.

• The world is against men because it’s now illegal to take photos up a woman’s skirt? aw poor baby

• "A bill to outlaw it has received Royal Assent, meaning offenders will face being jailed for two years and being put on the sex offenders' register."

Just wow.. That is tyranny.

• @Jager66 So what would be an ideal sentence in your honest opinion?

• So because I don't support the destruction of someones life because they took a creepy pic in a public space mean that I personally am also a pathetic perv...

Riiiight.. Lady you've got a screw loose and it's seriously messing with your brain.

• Thank you for your input, it's very much appreciated.

• Who needs to bother with upskirting. Just take a walk around the streets of New York City in the summer and you'll see all the short skirted girl's tushies you can handle. Hooray for the booming stock market!

• 6d

Wait, so up until now, hardcore porn was a bigger legal issue than upskirting in the UK?
    Reminds me about back in 2014, when the news came out here in Sweden that it has now been made illegal to have sex with animals, and everybody's reaction was something along the lines of, "Wait... it wasn't already?"

• I think it's an indecent thing to do to someone, but I'm not so sure it should be criminalized to this extent. Maybe a costly ticket would suffice. It just seems odd that women can wear whatever they want, even be completely nude, and if you take a picture of them in public which is perfectly legal it's illegal under certain circumstances. Wouldn't it make more sense to just ask women to wear proper clothing if they prefer men not to take pictures of them in public?

• I agree with you

• @Koalita a woman who wears such clothes is not a victim, she's a sexual promoter, she shall be punished and the rapist will be punished too...

I look to both sides, what makes me different is i'm not blinded with one eyes like others, women blaming men and men blaming women, i blame both.

If i can change something in the law, i will make sl*tty dresses illegal in public, there will be fines and punishements for girls who promotes sexual issues in public, there are already laws that punishes rapists and perverts...

• @Koalita Who are you to tell men how much they should and shouldn't respect a woman? I respect women who earn my respect. If I feel like a woman is wearing revealing clothing for male attention you can't make me respect a woman like that.

You do realize you're going against social norms, right? You're basically saying there should be acceptions for women because they have vaginas. You're not special. The hole between your legs is nothing special. Get over yourself.

• Sure took a while for this to happen. Then again, classic laws didn't account for smartphones becoming weapons of mass perversion. There seems to be no good thing which hasn't been used in a corrupt manner.

• Here in the US the law regarding privacy only applies on personal property and not in public. Any guy that tries that with me will get his balls relentlessly kicked and stomped~

• Wait this isn't already illegal? Is it not illegal everywhere? Wow.

• wow... all i can say is wow...

these guys that do this need to get social skills and get a gf!

• Glad a law was made to protect Women from these
    predators thank you for sharing this with us...

• It is criminal “invasion of privacy” in California. Which makes it a misdemeanor and carries a penalty of up to 6 months in county jail
    and/or $1000 fine.

• wish it was illegal here too... been through this some times already

• That's good. It's only been a crime in some states for a few years. The laws have finally caught up with perverts and their cameras.

• Seems to me like a logical decision to make it a criminal offense. It's disgusting

• Good he should it’s either jail or my knee become attracted to his Crotch.

• You are too funny Mr Elizabeth... lol

I agree :)

• People who don’t agree probably must of been kneed.

• 1st, women shall be banned to wear short skirts.
      2nd, men shouldn't expose a woman like that, they must help her if they saw something wrong in her clothes and tell her about it instead of taking stupid photos.
      3rd, if a girl's knee is going to be attracted to my crotch, she's going to end up without a knee at all.

My advice to your girls, is to always know whonyour messing with because not all men are males and not all males are men.

• Sexual assault should have been illegal to begin with.

• This is understandable because it's like being a peeping Tom.

• Yh I think people learnt that From Greece the movie

• Do the crime, do the time. Anyone who does this is a poor excuse for a human being.

• I don't get it.
    Can women handle themselves or not?

You can't have both.

• Having laws to protect you from crimes doesn't mean that you can't handle yourself. That's like saying that we shouldn't have laws against murder or robbery because people should just stick up for themselves.

• I thought this was already illegal? It makes absolutely no sense for it to be otherwise.

• Good take

• FINALLY

• Why do people like that kind of stuff?

• I didn't know this was even legal before...

• Well deserved

• Good. Its sexual assault

• yeah i think its ok

• I thought it was illegal before...

• Invasion of privacy. makes sense. Kinda

• guys do this all the time in japan

• The punishment is way too severe, but Im generally fine with this, it is kind of a creepy, rapey behavior.

• In my honest opinion the punishment is too lenient.

• how is it lenient to take away two years from a man's life, and put him in a position where he will probably be a victim of actual crimes, just because he took a picture?

• then don't wear skirts

• Thats fine I'll find other ways to harass women hahah hehehe hahah heheh ahahhaaahahahahahabahahahhabababananabba bwahahaah bwahahah

• I'm really surprised it wasn't already illegal, but I'm glad it will be soon enough

• Should be

• Secretly taking intimate photos should be illegal

• take all the fun out of everything