Heal the world, change your life

Whatthefluff

Warning: hippie-dippy climate-change heavy article. As heavy as the co2 in our breathing space, pushing our lungs into despair.

Heal the world, change your life

Hey hey! We've all made it to two 2-0s. But what about 2120? 3120? There is only way to achieve prolonged life, and that is by maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Planet Earth is itself a living being who needs healing from our poison. After all, we're the parasites living here.

Heal the world, change your life

These are simple ways to reduce harmful consumerism and make the world a better place environmentally, locally, philanthropically, and spiritually.

●Reduce your one-use plastic and styrofoam●

Americans throw away 25,000,000,000 Styrofoam coffee cups every year. About one-third of an average landfill's waste is made up of packaging material. Out of every $10 spent buying things, $1 (10%) goes for packaging that is thrown away. Packaging represents about 65% of household trash.

Instead of purchasing a single-use cup o' joe every morning, invest in a reusable thermos.

Here's a ratio for you:

More than one ton of plastic has been created for every human being alive today.

Heal the world, change your life

Purchase eggs that come in cardboard, rather than styrofoam containers.

There are so many small changes you can make to reduce marine and landfill waste overall.

●Limit intake of meat●

Heal the world, change your life

Slaughterhouses and meat production cause horrendous levels of hazardous greenhouse gasses.

"The livestock sector is a major stressor on many ecosystems and on the planet as a whole. Globally it is one of the largest sources of greenhouse gases and one of the leading causal factors in the loss of biodiversity, and in developed and emerging countries it is perhaps the leading source of water pollution."

We can maintain a perfectly healthy diet without eating cow and pig at every meal. It's better for your health and the health of us all.

Heal the world, change your life

●Buy used clothing and reduce your clothing consumerism●

"Fashion production makes up 10% of humanity's carbon emissions, dries up water sources, and pollutes rivers and streams. What's more, 85% of all textiles go to the dump each year."

Even sadder, clothes purchased now will be thrown out in a faster time than clothes purchased at the beginning of the century.

Heal the world, change your life

What a waste! All this pollution for all these goods we use for such a short time. The only way things can improve is if we, the causation of our deadly environmental damage, step up and change our ways. For the present. For posterity. For all of us.

Let's not even get into cars.

Quotation and informational links

Styrofoam

Plastic

Meat production impact

Red meat health concerns

Fashion industry

Countries and pollution

Ocean pollution

Heal the world, change your life
27
10

Most Helpful Guys

• Anonymous
    is it wrong if I like to take my hamburgers and steaks and eat them outside in front of the huge groups of crazy protestors? lol. I'm all for people having their beliefs and opinions on these types of things, but I draw the line at physical violence being used when people disagree with the types of things you've posted, and those people are starting to invade my hometown.
    The "science" on a lot of this is still up for debate, but I agree with you-- we should be a lot less wasteful. Even if it doesn't contribute to any climate change at all, it IS killing wildlife, polluting the oceans and destroying some of the world's most beautiful places. We can be better humans than that.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Violence would really defeat the purpose of humanitarian protest

• Anonymous

i'm gonna hire you to come tell them that next time. haha. u r right tho

• Haha, glad we can agree

• Alekcole
    It's sad how we are destroying our world. We can make a small difference as individuals or as a community. And yes, small, because the big corps and governments are the ones who can make a big change, but they don't, because at this moment, only profit is what they can see, and not a future where they are wasting our planet because their business.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Very sad and true. I assert that if all us consumers enlighten ourselves and refute dissonance, business will have less profit to speak of and it will dessimilate

• Alekcole

You are right, but its difficult. Just as you posted, first waste producer is fashion companies. That in itself is a big example of how difficult, as fashion is an evergrowing market. Like, many people tend to buy stuff for the season and throw away what does not fit and don't use, as well as what is not sold. We all need clothes and people, whether they want to make a change or not, can be tricked by "this season's Supreme sweater", and like an Iphone, next season there is going to be a new model they will want to buy.

• Yes, considering the advertising and social pressure as well:/
      Well I personally vow to purchase mostly used clothing from thrift stores when I need new clothing, and hope the stats are shared to listening ears

Most Helpful Girls

• SpiderManFan2002
    I agree with this post! ^_^

And hey, people always argue "we're not the cause of climate change you can't prove it blah blah blah" but here's the thing.

Nope. We can't prove 100% that we are certainly the cause of climate change. Studies that suggest we are do make sense, but we can't 100% for sure say that we are the cause of it.

BUT

What we can prove is what we do as a human race, is not good for the environment. And we need to at the very least stop abusing the environment- because it's not just ours.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Girther10

Then who is it? Who does the environment belong to? England? 😅😂🤣

• @Girther10 Dude, you need to stop following me around, and bringing up I'm from England- it's fucking creepy😂😂My dad's not much older than you😂

The environment belongs to us, and the plants, and the wildlife that lives in it by the way. ;)

• I don't entirely agree with the live stock part. What exactly do you want my land for? To build more houses, factories etc. The main reason livestock take up so much room is animal welfare, you only get 2-3 sheep per acre on hillland. That's definitely better for the environment than building another town for a cert growing population.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

825
  • DeeDeeDeVour
    I would be so elated if more & more people respected nature & the environment.
  • MarkRet
    I understand where you're coming from, but there's a far bigger problem that fuels this: over-population in the world, and it's getting worse. All those fires in the Amazon were caused by farmers, with the backing of the Brazilian government. The purpose? more farmland to feed more people, and more financial profit for everybody involved. By the way, did that problem of lead water pipes in Flint Michigan ever get fixed? Probably not, everybody's still pointing fingers at each other.

If the human population were about 1/100th the size of what it is now, then there might be some environmental healing, but you know how that would go: one ethnic or racial group would say, "Well, it's not because there are too many of OUR people, it's because there are too many of THOSE people!"

Those little bottles of nail polish have the most toxic ingredients imaginable, and millions of them get tossed away, along with cans of hair spray.

I mow my yard in the summer if it needs it, but my neighbors have much bigger lawn mowers than me, and they mow their lawns about every 2 or 3 days. Actually, why do we even mow our lawns at all? I use hand clippers, and get ridiculed for being 'old school'.
  • Taylor_C
    Are you aware CO2 is a prerequisite for life, without which no life, plants, animals nor humans, could exist?
    • Because of human industry, it is increasing to what will be unlivable in the future.
      climate.nasa.gov/.../

• Taylor_C

Not true. Levels have been many times higher during the history of this planet. Plants and animals were thriving.

• For life to continue this way is not sustainable for humanity

• TsundereMatrix
    I’m all for cutting down on plastic and styrofoam but you will not make me quit eating meat. You want us to stop using gas burning cars? Then make electric cars less expensive. That’s how feel about this “climate change crisis”.
  • nailu
    More easily said than done, I’m afraid Darling. Open rebellion against the status quo, along with the changes (for many people they would be changes) illustrated above, would be a start to shaking governments and corporations to their core
    • nailu

I wish I could offer you a more encouraging opinion

• Honesty is the best policy

• nailu

We can’t stop trying. Everything in the world has a price on its head by now. Most people can’t even see. It’s up to us. Thank you for caring

• blutwolfe
    while I do like people trying to help, it's not really healing the earth. The earth isn't going anywhere, we are. And cutting meat out and going veganism isn't healthy, can you survive? Sure, but thrive? No, that's a rabbit hole I don't wanna jump in. I think my only issue lol, and don't forget all internet returns are usually thrown away, such as returning to Amazon, it's cheaper for them to throw it away than repackage it.
  • hashtagsuburban
    What about electric vehicles have you seen a lithium mine I'm pretty sure that that's ten times worse the the oil industry. And CFL light bulbs are made with Mercury. Explain how all this eco-friendly products are better for the environment. The eco initiative was and is a way to get people to throw money at the economy, nothing else.
    • Girther10

What about the lithium mine? I didn’t know there was such a thing? Tell me?

• It's a giant open pot mine that completely destroys the entire eco system. Nothing major!!!

• Girther10

But all open pit mines destroy the ecosystem. I just didn’t know lithium was something that is mined.

• Girther10
    @Opinion Owner- I’m not pasting my name on the internet here, and I’m not anonymous. Screename are only that. They don’t tell your name, but they represen5 the same person every time the person posts something. It’s the character behind the screename that allows you to know the 0erson with9ut knowing anyone’s names.
  • Liam_Hayden
    Carbon dioxide is plant food and an increase in that causes a corresponding increase in plant life. I am more concerned with pollution of the ground water supply and the contamination of the food chain via industrial pollutants.
  • MackToday
    Human's are parasites is it? What do you plan on doing with those "parasites" in your new utopia?
  • Shamalien
    fuck climate change, it's just a political scheme to milk more tax out of us cattle. DO THE RIGHT THING BECAUSE IT'S THE RIGHT THING, NOT BECAUSE YOU ARE AFRAID!!!

Just stop eating dead flesh because you know it's wrong to kill an innocent being and the earth will heal, this is how stuff works, it's all connected
  • We need to say this to China since they're the ones polluting the world the most, not us. And get rid of the stupid wind mills, I'm sick of my power going out every 5 minutes! Use nuclear energy
  • englisc
    Many of these points are good, but where you're wrong is on the issue of meat. The push for a plant-based diet is much more about money than most people realise - all of the things they say about meat being bad for the environment/us is mostly bullshit meant to scare people into going along with that. Those myths come from flawed studies and manipulation of statistics. The plant-based diet isn't as healthy as many people claim that it is, nor is it as good for the environment as many people claim.
  • hellionthesagereborn
    All of that is inaccurate on so many levels its laughable if so many people didn't fall for it.
  • Jackblue
    In terms of meat consumption methane only stays in the air for a couple of decades. i agree though that in terms of efficiency in farming we should try to eat more plant based meat.
  • Manuel2
    It is all down to facts verses proganda.
    The facts may mean we are destroying the planet. But the properganda says we are not and whi cares? We be dead before the planet ends. Wrong?
  • This was really good! We can all do our part even if it's small
  • the solution is so easy... just plant more freaking trees on the planet and reactivate swamps that have been intentionally dried out for some stupid reason in the past... all those things you mentioned are just like getting water out the sinking boat with a bucked instead of fixing the hole.
    we can easily replace plastic styrofoam with corn starch "styrofoam". the meat industry is as bad as the soy industry when it comes to carbon footprint so really what we have is a nourishment problem. you can't avoid the industrial pollution if you don't get everyone else to participate in cutting down their standards of life significantly... and even if you managed to make those changes, it would only fix a minor fraction of the issues. reforest the world. that's the way to go.
    • oh and also we have sustainable meat industry models with specific grasing and pathing patterns for lifestock that could evidently turn deserts into fertile lands... that however is fairly expensive. who's gonna pay for that? everyone just goes for the cheapest shit when they buy stuff.

• ToTheMoon
    Do you know that the plants are hurting too? When you cut them, they sort of scream in vibration, find the study you murderers. Also they too produce CO2..
    You missionaries are just being tools of another corpororations and interest groups who happen to profit on vegans and "ecology" (which a lot of times makes much worse impact on the planet in the end!!)
    Im not saying we shouldn't try to improve things or eat more vegetables.
    Why the fuck should WE in western technologic world do even more sacrifices, when in Asia they create most of the pollution and they don't care. GO PREACH THERE!
    Also fun fact, most of the oxygen is generated in ocean by plankton..
    There are so many if not most lies in this ekoterrorism movement that its driving most not-brainwashed people away.. Thats the real problem according to me
  • WednesdayMorning
    Nobody really gives a shit about this floating rock. It's just a rock really.
  • Lotusinwater
    The cure is a plague wiping out most of humanity some new world order Illuminati type stuff 😂👌
  • Kayla45
    Awesome!
  • Thatsamazing
    Yes, girl. Preach.
  • KennyMcCormick
    Good take
  • Pretty good mytake. ☺
  • Nice mytake
  • Pipeliner87
    Meh I'm a pipeliner for a reason...
  • pizzalovershouse
    👍👍👍
  • Anonymous
    I love big uncut pieces of meat in my mouth
  • Anonymous
    I believe that fire in Australia part of it is Global Warming.
    • Girther10

Global non warming has very little to do with the bush fires in Australia. You believe the propaganda being spewed by the power hungry elites that want to take over your life.

• Girther10

What I meant is that the Australian fires were not started from spontaneous combustion because it got so hot that the trees and bushes just started burning. Obviously the fires were started by someone or something. But it’s true, that the hot climate makes the fires burn more actively, and cause increased rates of spread. But that happens everywhere on the planet where those conditions exist. Australia just happens to have lots of brushland, like millions of acres of it. And as people begin habitations on it, when fires come it’s no surprise those people are affected.

• Anonymous
    I will compare my carbon footprint to any of the actors, politicians or "clowns saying this is an issue. When they take it seriously and stop flying around in private jets and get their carbon footprint down to about 50 times mine. i will think about not eating meat.
  • Anonymous
    We should start making synthetic meat from scientifically dissolved animal shit molecules or something.
  • Anonymous
    Why don't we take on the actual problem? Limit having kids by one for each couple. If the have 2 they either use abortion or trade its life for the life of someone in their family. Thats the only way