#LoveYourself
VALENTINE'S DAY

Is Valentine's day a bad idea as a first date?

Is it odd to have first dates on Valentines Day? I have a crush on this guy, he offered if i wanted anything while going to lunch yesterday (i declined). I know its in a few days but am just curious if maybe he will and how i could make it easy for him to approach me if he plans on asking me.

4179

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think it's a bad idea as long as the people have been talking for a while/building anticipation and really seem to 'click' before meeting.

I say this bc I wouldn't want to meet a stranger and not get along and essentially ruin my Valentine's day :3

In your case, why don't you guys go out the weekend after vday? I say this bc I dunno if you guys are friends, co-workers, etc

Valentines Day

What Guys Said 79

• Valentines day is a lot of pressure for a first date. I wouldn't recommend it. However, you could give him clues that you don't have plans yet. Make suggestions like it would be nice to have dinner with a decent guy. Tell him he should ask out a nice girl and shw will probably say yes.

• I have done Valentine's Day as a first date. The trick is to make it special without acting like you are with the one and only love of your life. Tell him that he cannot send or bring flowers or a gift; you just want it to be like a first date on any other day of the year.

Be on guard that your feelings about Valentine's Day and wanting to be with someone do not cloud your judgment of him. Don't develop Valentine's Day Crush!

• No big deal either way. If it doesn't work out, just laugh about it and go on with your life. The only advice I have is don't plan a first date that will require you to spend hours together. Dinner is about the most you should do for a first date. If it goes well you can figure out something to do after dinner. Good luck!

• Bad idea because if you get into a deep relationship & it ends badly, you will be reminded if it every Valentines day for years. Best not to pic holiday type days for first meeting in my opinion.

• Yes. Besides being cliche, its overly expensive for the same stuff you would get any other day. Not to mention the lines are too long and crowds too big to give for an intimate setting. Why not a picnic in a park or something if there must be a date on 2/14.

• Hell yes it's a bad idea. Unless you trying to fuck on the first date, vday has an expectation of sex at the end of the night. It is what it is. And if you dont put out, he will probably think he fucked up or isn't attractive for you. It's best to wait for the day after once cupid is gone.

• You could avoid it, and chose another day, but what's the point. It could end up being the start of the most amazing love story ever. Dont sweat it. Go with the flow, be you, and regardless of the day if its meant to be, it will be.

• If you want a Valentine's Date You have to ask him. the ball is on your side when you did do that no matter what you was doing or if you are a female if you want something to happen between you two!

• You already said no to him, so his ego has already been dropped a bunch. You may have to make the move as to going out with him. Plus valentines day isn't a bad first date, it's just another day in the year!

• It is a high pressure date being Valentine's day, and would be more so for a first date. If he offers I wouldn't turn it down tho just do not suggest it.

• If you're single, Valentine's Day is just another day. If you're not single Valentine's today is obviously a day to go somewhere nice to eat and do something romantic with your special someone. But doing something romantic and being with your special someone should make everyday Valentine's Day. I mean I understand not everyone has money to go eat at a really expensive restaurant every night but, you know what I mean.

• Pros
    - Romantic idea

Cons
    - Too many expectations and likelihood of those expectations not being met
    - Cliche
    - Everything is overpriced
    - Busy time of the year
    - Everyone who is unoriginal will also be taking the girl out on that day

• I think it could be amazing :) Not too romantized though for me, like a cool, relaxed first date where you can enjoy the day without feeling obligated to the traditions. And maybe bond by making fun of the old routined couples, and the young, unexperience overly-so-in-love ones ;)

• Unless you're planning on going somewhere cheap, it's gonna suck. You'll be waiting way longer for food at any decent sit down restaurant.

• It’s a GREAT idea!! How romantic! And memorable!! You’ll never forget the date of your first date together!

• I'm not sure personally I think it's a good time of year, I'm asking my crush out tomorrow for valentines day. 🙂

• It's not a bad idea, it shows romance as well as how the guy acts toward you

• My brother and his girl started on Valentine's day 11 years ago. They are still together. :)

• Just be normal and be yourself.. the more you think the more nervous you will be.. keep it simple.. smile and go ahead with him :)

• Give him some hint for it... you have magical powers.. do spell them on him... and it's never late or odd when you like someone.. go for it😊😊

• Is just a day of the year... Just don't rush it, take your time, cuz when you rush it and it doesn't work in the future then you start making a correlation between that day and failure or something...

• It's probably a bad idea & a bit cliche. if you already shoot him down for valentines day but now you're interested he might think you're desperate.

• You literally couldn't of picked a better day, other than the day of love

• There's no reason to not go for a first date on Valentine's day.

There's also no reason you can't ask him on that date.

You have equal opportunity, use it.

It actually annoys me that most women still expect guys to do all these things first, yet claim equality. Men like to be approached, complimented, flattered, flirted with, bought presents, and asked out.

It takes two people to have a relationship, two people working on that relationship, putting effort into it. You can take that first step! Welcome to how guys have felt asking out crushes since history began!

• I recommend simple but obvious flirting. Graze of the arm, an extra huggy hug, or just flat out tell him you like him. Beat him too the punch.

• Did you decline having lunch with him, or him to get you something for lunch? Anyways, if he would go for it. Why not? Just don't push it.

• I declined him getting me something. Already had my lunch in front of me at that moment.

• So you like the guy and you said no. Then you are hoping he will ask you out on Valentine’s Day a day which most men actually do hate? Whew. I think you were lucky for asking you several days before. Some of you women live in delusion. The way you do things is backwards. Chances are he might be doing something else now. However, I think you blew it and since you like the guy you blew it times 2. Sorry don’t mean to sound mean but you are forgetting that Valentine’s Day is a woman holiday and men hate it.

• Not going on a date is worse now u choose whats better

• its not a bad idea, dating someone bad on valentines day, is a bad idea

• If you treat it like a date, you should be good. Lmfao just don't make it look like you're married

• Show more from Guys
    49

What Girls Said 40

• He asked you to a valentines date? Or are you assuming that he might ask you ALSO why decline if he offered you something to eat? He’s showing that he cares & you declining might make him second guess if you wanna go on a valentines date - like would if he wanted to ask you on valentines and you say no

• I was eating my lunch when he asked me and im hoping that he is considering asking me

• You are right though. But i didn't want to say yes while eating haha

• I’d hold off til after cuz I feel like going on a first date or hang out with someone you like on Valentines Day just seems desperate like “oh I just want to have a boyfriend.” One of the reasons why I am holding off talking (or trying) to this guy I matched on Tinder and am lowkey trying to get to know etc cuz I don’t want him thinking I want to just be in a relationship with him out of loneliness or whatever. Plus it’s on a Wednesday this year anyway. Like go over the weekend.

• I have a lot of friends who work as servers and they say most Valentine's dates look obligatory, awkward and forced. Places get pretty booked up. Busy restaurants full of miserable people aren't my thing, but the notion is romantic. Maybe if you were just doing takeout or something so that you could be alone together?

• Depends how well you know the potential asker, if the conversation will flow and be natural and there's already a level of, even minimal, friendship or mutual interest it could work. If a date happens, keep it causal. Go for coffee in the afternoon or something low key. It's an intense first date otherwise with too many expectations, possibly on both sides.

• I think so. It puts too much pressure on it. It would be different if you had gone out on a few dates already. But for a first date it's too intense, even if you don't take V-day so seriously.

• Yes. I think Valentine's day is something for already established relationships. Not something where you show love for someone you don't necessarily have any involvement with yet. People just starting to date should avoid that week like the plague.

• Nope. It's awesome bc then you'll always remember the date when you started dating. Sweet

• This dude and I were like we should do something this week and he very smoothly planned it on valentines day. I didn't even notice. As a european, this day holds zeto significance for me so it doesn't matter to me.

• Yes, too much pressure. In fact try to avoid that whole week for a first date.

• Honestly no, it's a great idea! You could get to know him and there would be a romantic mood set in as well.

• Nope as long as it feels right. Its just another day

• Yea lol it's a pretty bad idea. It comes across as way too desperate for love tbh

• Being cheap I could careless I’m not saying got spend million euros 💶 but just to buy me things just to shut me up.

• Yes its sets even highr expectations if ur a man n dont want to spend too much on a stranger dont do do it

• That is sooo awkward I would be never encourage that lol

• If you really like the guy yeah why not? if it's a tinder date I say skip it...

• I personally wouldn't make it a first date unless I knew it was going to be very promising.

• Not necessarily, it’s just a day, like every other day of the year.

• No. Its romantic and makes it even more special and memorable if you guys do get together

• No. It'd be cute

• I would love to be asked out on Valentine's day

• I feel that it would be fine.

• I don't see anything wrong with it.

• Bad idea.

• The baddest

• Its a little unusual.

• If he offers then go for it.

• i think it's a good idea

• bed idea

• Duhhhh. Like seriously.

• Show more from Girls
    10

Valentines Day