Today is my ex's birthday. Things ended quite badly. Should I call/email good wishes for his day?

We haven't spoken in about 10 months. I have had a difficult time getting over him, but, I'm almost there completely. I don't want him to construe a call or message as "oh she wants me," and I truly have no interest in starting periodic conversation or even a friendship. I honestly just want to let him know, on his birthday, that I am grateful for him and for everything. The good and the bad. And that I'll continue to wish good things for him always, BUT, I don't want to fatten his head or make him think he has some upper-hand or whatever. I just want to be honest and caring. There's more to all of this in that, as I said it ended badly, and I'm sure that he couldn't care much less about me and diffenetely won't contact me for my birthday, I guess, I just want to close the book in a kind and loving way rather than the negative terrible way we left things months ago. Please advise.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think its ok to contact him on his birthday or other different occasions. In no way does this make you have to restart a friendship that isn't wanted. it takes two people to communicate, thus, wish him his happy birthday with no expectations of a response from him, and in the occasion that he does respond (ex. pick up the phone / answer the message). take control of the interaction and stand tall. If he sees this as a restart that you don't want, simply don't answer his calls / messages and you should be fine.