Advice for Girls Who Want to Try "Gaming" With Their Boyfriends

Advice for Girls Who Want to Try

Don't ask where something is...

Look first. Usually it's right in front of you. Also, we can't always be looking at your half of the screen if we're playing against each other. Also, when we tell you "to the left of you" don't be like "nope, don't see it. Oh!" We'll just sigh long and deep...

Don't ever refer to the in an in game object as "that thingey"

It's disrespectful. It makes it seem like you're making a joke out of a game that we are already well are we take far too seriously. When you say that thingey it makes us realize you're playing this game on a lark--you don't have the intention of actually learning and getting good like we do--so fake it.

If your computer freezes...try restarting it

Don't freak out. Computers freeze from time to time. Restart fixes most problems when it comes to computers so just try that first.

If you get the best loot and its class specific and/or you're not a high enough level to use it...give it to someone else

This probably won't apply to most girls who are just gaming once with their boyfriend to be nice but in mmos only one person can grab the stuff that a boss npc drops and usually its based on everyone rolling a dice. if you pick first dont grab the thing you can't use. it's just wrong.

Find out the armor/damage specs...never say you chose to equip that armor/weapon because it's "pretty"

Again, at least try to get into it. He'll appreciate you knowing a thing or two. It's the equivalent of you going to the mall with your boyfriend and asking which one and him looking you dead in the face and saying they look exactly the same to me.

If you're in last and your boyfriend is in second...nothing you're going through matters

Especially in a racing game if he has a chance of winning and you have no chance at all then why does it really matter that you're going in reverse? When you insist that he helps you, he will lose and you will still be in last.

There are probably a lot more, but this will help get you started as you go further than most girls will go in order to bond with your boyfriend whre no girl has ever bonded before...

pavlove is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 17

• Couldn't even take this MyTake seriously.

• Why are you under the assumption that girls can't game?
    We can just as well as anyone else.

• i don't ! this was for girls who don't game but want to do it just to be nice to their bfs

• Well, some girls can, but most can't.

• Some girls can't game. Other girls are surprisingly good at gaming. The last part can be a turn on. It's reflective of their intelligence, which is attractive.

• Haha I loved this! Especially the first and second one. My best friend thought Zelda was my dogs name... -_-

• I suck at call of duty.

• Ugh... I hate playing video games with some girls too.

Some play it up too, if there's a guy in the room, like they think it's cute. As they walk around in circles staring at the ceiling or the floor, getting killed everytime they move, or just not moving at all and asking which buttons to "click" to get that "thing" or do "this thing".

It's painful for me too. Lol! But most girls like that, honestly, aren't real gamers. If they are, they're probably just playing for their boyfriends.

• haha yeah i'm proud of girls like you who get it and i guess it's ok for the girls who are just indulging their boyfriends but it can get annoying when they insist on playing and then literally cannot learn a thing lol

• Hahaha, oh how this brings back memories.

I lived videogames as child. My sister and I killed dinosaurs and snowboarded our hearts out. But then I got older and stopped gaming unless it was handheld/iPad.

I hadn't picked up a controller to play anything harder than GTA in forever. So, we (my boyfriend and I) started with Left for dead 2. And then we went to Gears of War. And oh how fun that was.

I suck at walking, I have a heavy hand naturally. But after lots of sighs from my boyfriend and talks on how to talk to someone when teaching them, progress!

I suck at aiming with a gun, so when playing something like Gears of War, if I can't chainsaw it, I'm screwed, haha.

But I'm better than him at fighting things in the Witcher 3.

And though I definitely don't consider myself a gamer girl because there's no reason to fake interests, I do like gaming, I'm a girl, and I game with my boyfriend.

I do find a lot of this relatable because I had zero patience, I couldn't fucking walk straight, I couldn't aim, and I drove him insane. And looking back, he shouldn't have practiced with me because I can't stop haha.

• haha finally a woman who understands! Respect for playing with him though! too bad you gave up on gaming : (((

• Haha, I look back and wonder how he didn't loose his cool more. I totally let him lead on left for dead 2 wayyy too much in the beginning, so bad so, that he forced me to lead (and I rocked it 😌)
      I wish I didn't give it up, I wouldn't have sucked so much in the beginning.
      But now, I can't stop playing the Witcher 3

• ... Or you could be happy that you have a girlfriend willing to try it at all?

Not all girls are naturally into it, or they haven't been introduced to it. There's a learning curve. I'm glad my boyfriend wasn't a jerk when he was getting me into all different types of video games (now I'm an addict. I've always loved ps2 games but that was the extent of my gaming before a few years ago). I don't know if you were intending to give off a bad vibe or if I'm reading too much into it, but something about the tone rubbed me the wrong way.

And you know what, there's nothing wrong with this - "Find out the armor/damage specs... never say you chose to equip that armor/weapon because it's "pretty""
    I'll never pick something that is ugly unless it's VASTLY better. If it's a "meh" upgrade and looks significantly worse I'll pass. I don't like to make my person ugly. I take my character customization very personally. I want them to look exactly how I like it.

And some girls just don't care about the stats. As long as they are having fun and enjoying the game, why do they have to play the way you want?

It's like Blizzard's mentality... play my way or no way at all. (If you're a Blizzard fan, you should know what I mean :P)

• lol you mean the company that lets you buy a high level character to start out with?

Haha it had a cheeky tone but I get how it could come off really condescending. thanks for the feedback.

• Well they kind of have to seeing as how WoW has 10+ years of content... that would be really daunting for a lot of people. I don't blame them for having an option for people to buy :P

• the journey is the fun! not having pretty stuff!

• This... is insulting. Honestly, most girls aren't that dumb. We know what call of duty is and we get the object of the game. When you first started, did you know how to play? Absolutely not. You had to learn. That's what they're doing. I get that some girls just try to impress their boyfriends, but I was fully capable with figuring this all out on my own. I would say things are cute, just because that's my personality, I say dumb stuff like that as a joke. I would be mocking how seriously he takes the game. Half the time it's more fun to not take it seriously, but if I wanted to I could. There's a very few percentage of girls who would act like this. If a guy is picking his girl on her video game skills, he has crappy standards. Chances are the guy knows that the girl is inexperienced so he won't care as much about the game when he's playing with her cause he's doing it to spend time with her.

• lol well these are just tips so you can play casually and have fun without ruining the game

• @Asker, your idea of "ruining the game" is far different than my idea of it :P Quite a few of those things you listed would be annoying, but it's not as if it actually ruins the experience! The biggest experience should be bonding with your dating partner and enjoying it, maybe having a few laughs and joking around! You don't have to take everything so seriously :) And if you do, maybe you shouldn't play with a girl! haha

• I would, but I don't really want to make him cry again.

• Agghh I just skimmed through this my take, but it really makes me wanna start my WoW account back up. I would give up things to my friends if they needed it, and would find appropriate armor... ugh.

• To be fair, the thingy is an acceptable term when the object in question isn't important enough to mention fully.
    And too be fair, I will choose things on how cute it is, idgaf.
    Also, imma take whatever I want, whenever I want. Idgaf.

• we'll then lol

• 😁 lol.

• Exactly. Is khajiit armor the best in the game? No. But i thought it looked cool. Onoes I am le dirty noob casual please don't l33t hax0r me, mr hardcore gamerz.

• Back when I first hooked up with my ex I had never played video games outside of Mario World and Rock Band. 6 months into my relationship with him I was playing all the games he was but I still wasn't all that good. And then a year and a half in he wouldn't play video games with me anymore because simply put, I kicked his ass 9 times out of 10 and he was a very sore loser.

• i could honestly say im a gamer and wouldn't have issues understanding the aspects or how to play.

• Good fucking god, this is so patronising.

You basically wrote up an instruction manual on how to treat your girlfriend like a bloody idiot. Even if a girl is new to gaming, you're making it sound like women are completely clueless.

Maybe all the women you ever dated were this daft, which would explain the take.

Jesus shit, m8. 😑

• lol is this what they refer to as a cockney accent?

• @Calex

I sometimes end up referring to items in real life as "thing" or "thingy" because English isn't my first language. It can get frustrating when you remember the word in two other languages, but not the one you need. 😜

• @ObscuredBeyond

Either that, or he's going with the notion that all female gamers are just faking it to get attention and actually have no clue what they're doing.

• Sure, I'm gonna go play Fallout 4 now

• L1 to bring up V. A. T. S., babe.

• it's all important :'(

anyway, i liked "chawge cawwddd" guy

• Skimming comments... "SKIP THE STORY IN BETHESDA GAMES" smh, game-ageddon is here

I may not hit the story till about 100hrs in but Bethesda has the most A1 coldest fucking stories ever, n the best voice actors (liam Neeson fall3, Patrick Stewart oblivion...)

Day i start skipping the main plot I'm skipping off a damn cliff
      -asker

• As someone else said, why are you under the assumption girls can't game?
    I'm a huge fan of gaming.

• 1v1 me in Smite or gtfo lol

• haha you weren't the inspiration for this or nothinnnnnn...

What Guys Said 23

• reading this, I realised I'm just as bad at gaming as most women are lol

what was that thingamajig you were talking about again... guns and armery? I'm so confused... :S

• You are under thye assumption that people who game do not refer to some things in game as a "Thingy"
    As someone who plays rpgs I can tell you this is false

• My only issue is the whole gaming girl culture where women try to be all sexy just because they're gaming. They may not even like gaming all that much it just increases their popularity.

nerdcircus.files.wordpress.com/.../...vs-slut1.jpg

• Lmao I could agree with this of course we have to be patient with them to, they are just learning after all.

It may seem difficult but everything is difficult at first.

-Miyamoto Musashi-
    Japanese greatest swordsman

• the last pic is aswsome

• Wow. That last girl is absolutely delicious. But nobody would actually dress that way to play games though.

It was a funny take and all. But the thing is, I would say that if you really want to enjoy games with a girl, instead of teaching a non-gamer how to play games, it would be better to just go for a really stunning gamer girl. They are admittedly rare, but I know firsthand that they exist. The most attractive girl I've ever met was a gamer. Not only that, she played DnD too. And was into other cool things like guitar, drawing, writing, and cars. She had a really cool, deep, playful personality. Man. I kick myself for being a total mess when we met. I really wish I'd been able to get her. I think she would have been the best possible girl for me if only I'd been able to show her I could've been good for her too.

• how'd you blow it?

• @pavlove , I'm afraid my faith's all gone. The fact that she existed, we crossed paths, and could actually talk to each other was one in a million. I might meet someone, but no one I would be as happy to be with as her. She was one of a kind.

@redeyemindtricks whoa, easy there killer :P I was just echoing what others were saying - most of the time girls don't game to be sexy, they just do it to game. Hence, there's no need to dress provocatively to play games most of the time.

Still, I'm sure there's a few out there that do. I just imagine they're in the minority. You do sound like a fun person though :) It would be fun to date a girl like that.

• Lol, she's not even dressed "sexy", really. That's what I look like when I get home from the gym, if my kids aren't around.
      It's like my husband walking around in his draws.

• Learn to play support or healer roles..

• Be sure to inform them that if they get scared of being allowed on the couch, her boyfriend will be more than happy to redo her kitchen chains.

Seriously, what girl doesn't know what a computer is?

• i had to explain to two blonde girls in the past two days that i couldn't play smite because i have a mac and it can only be played on windows and xbone and they were seriously confused what that meant.

god only knows what would happen if i attempted why boot camp won't work based on my current config.

• I choose things based on how cute it is. This take is offensive in many ways. :(

• This sounds like it was written for my 35 year old mom...

• The better advice is don't game for someone else. Game for yourself. It's an insult to the god of games.

• Isn't this a stereotype?

• Honestly id say just let her play, girls hate it when there boyfriends speak down to them on how to properly play a game

U can usually go one of the ways

1 play with her, without getting anal about it
    2 she might just wanna watch u play
    3 just let her do her thing n play

• hmmm.. 45% of gamers are female, so...

• I disagree with the pretty armour one, transmogs

• You are the reason girl gamers have a hard time. I have news for you friend. They are often better then males.

• I tried to date a gamer girl once. It was horrible. She imagined herself a skilled instructor at teaching others how to play too, and couldn't take a hint when her advice didn't benefit someone's particular situation and had no respect for metagamers who surpassed her. Truth is, she wasn't all that good at teaching, just at being condescending and assuming everyone uses the exact same slang and buys heroes/props the same way she does - or that they should. Doesn't allow for someone to deviate their strategy too much from her own.

She loved to talk the game, and promised to hang out in real life several times. Only did once, and then spent most of that time buried in a book and ignoring me. Then flaked out every single other time. Then tried to start trouble in my family just to keep me too busy dealing with that to have time for her, as her final "going away" present when I was of no more use to her.

• hahaha I've never understood what's so great about 'gamer girls' anyway.

when most men hear that they imagine this:

www.gamergirlsmag.com/.../...RGIRLS%E2%84%A215.jpg

for me, all I can picture is this:

www.wsusignpost.com/.../Girl-Gamer.jpg

and then there's the girls that really are hot but they're just posing for male attention

www.reaxxion.com/.../Gamer-Girl-Fail-....png

• You guys are so cute. If they put the second girl in the same clothes, lighting, and makeup as the other two, and took down her hair, y'all would like her just as much.

If it were that easy to fool the opponent in video games, then, yeah, we probably wouldn't play them. /:

• @redeyemindtricks : Actually, if Girl #2 took her glasses off and looked a little less hostile, she'd be my favorite of the bunch. Girl #1 just looks slutty, like she's trying way too hard. #3 is cute, but also looks a tad clueless.

• Just let them play and enjoy the fact that she is willing to give it a shot. We were all new at some point and had to learn. Gender shouldn't matter. Some guys suck at gaming, some don't. Some girls are great at gaming, others aren't. Accept it and move on. I think any girl who games or has a desire to game is attractive as hell. :D

• You're right about that. To be honest I'm not that good at games myself. I play casually, so we'd probably be about equal anyway - she might even be better than me. And if we're about on the same level it could be fun to learn something together.

• Way to stay single dude.
    Games are for fun, if she's new to gaming and wants to play with you be nice to her and patient and help her learn, don't be rude or she won't want to play with you

I think it's cute if she doesn't know but wants to learn so that she can play with me, and I'd be happy to help her

• Lol "Gamer Girlfriends"

• More from Guys
    3