GaG User Video: Should Men Always Pay on the First Date?

Here in this Take - and my video below - I will be discussing what I and others think about the debate of men having to pay the bill on a first date with a woman.

I think that just as long as both of them are okay with how the bill should be paid, okay then it should be no problem; to me I think they should just split the bill. Here in my video, you will see me going up to random strangers I didn't know at all with a video camera and asking them whether they thought the men should pay the bill on a first date.

I got some pretty interesting responses at bars and in public out in the streets!

I think maybe if they don't there is not much of a commitment there is what one of the ladies said

j

I hope you enjoyed this mytake of mine.

#GaGVideoContest

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 25

• Yes, men should pay. Women have to spend tons of time, money, and energy on looking good to appease men's "visual" senses; it's only fair that men spend money on women's gustatory senses.

• Not all women wear make up some are naturally attractive what is your argument towards that?

• Out of curiosity what does it cost you in time and money.
      As a guy I started trying hair fibers recently and they do work temporarily I also use aftershave sometimes and then there's gym membership and supplements + it's hours a week of time and effort. Then there's things like suits and shavers etc

• Yes I know it's different in the West but if I date a guy from my area and he doesn't even ask to pay then he's a cheap ass.
    Nice video:))

• Good video. Nice job. =)

• I bet this will be the only entry. It looks like nobody else is entering.

• I think that rgravey train girl is entering and dangersdodge guy.

• You are fucking awesome dude. I <3 your posts so much! And your vid. I hope you win.

• This is awesome! You got a fairly good variety of opinions there. Great job! :)

• Awesome take and I LOVE the video. ^^

• good job froggy !

• The thing is, if the guy doesn't pay I would tend to think he's not really interested in me, or he doesn't have his financial shit together, or what not. It doesn't look good. Unless you're willing to take that risk or have a conversation about gender equality on the first date, it's safer to pay. Or at least offer to pay and see if she declines. And no this isn't "fair" to men but it's how it is.

• I think it would be nice if he at least offered to pay; if he insists on it then I'd insist on paying the next time and we could work out an alternating system; He picks the movie, I'll pay for it, I pick the restaurant, he pays for the dinner. I'd feel bad making him pay for everything, I don't like feeling like I'm taking advantage

• I personally think that as long as they agree it doesn't matter. They shouldn't fight coz of that after all XD its nicer if the guy pays, it just how its been for ages, but there's nothing wrong if the girl wants to pay or if they want to divide it between them. Who cares as long as they agree?

• Whoever asks pays in my opinion. My Husband paid and planned the first date and I paid and planned the second :D

• I guess that sounds fair. I believe it should be equal equal rights right? I probably should have went to younger people and asked them but it was weird it just so happened that I couldn't find any that day.

• It worked out for us.
      Like I said splitting the bill makes it a lot more like just hanging with a friend; if this was talked about before hand I would assume that's what it was and ask to bring some people along. Don't get me wrong splitting the bill can work for a lot of people. I mean it takes a lot of the pressure of moving any faster then you want to off but that probably has to do with not really feeling like your even dating in the first place.

When I dated at 14 I always paid for myself but to be fair dating at 14 really is just hanging out and the dates were mostly in group settings-lol.

• Yeah I prefer the man to pay for the first date.
    #Notafeminist

• why we need the rule? why not pay whoever wants to pay?

• I would want to split it.

• Yes.

• Man should always pay. I miss chivalry.

• Why can't you be normal and pay for yourself? I guess chivalry disappearing means you have to act like a bug girl now?

• And women should always cook, clean the house, stay at home, watch the children, etc.. Call me old fashioned.

• @ForScience no problem for me!!!

• Interesting :)

Different culture, different view. Here men will always pay for the first few dates. If he doesn't, he'll able to get a girl to be with him, but I'd say not a girl that he really finds attractive. I'm very traditional so I guess I live at the right place, right country :)

• I think it depends on who asks who out. I personally would never ask a guy out, i wait until he asks me on a date. Therefore guys have always paid on my first dates. It's also very attractive knowing somebody is able to take care of you-- I'm a very independent person and it's nice to give the guy the upper hand... Let go of that control a bit

• I dont expect a man to pay for my meal or my coffee on the first date, so I dont mind paying for him and myself. But in the past, guys were quicker than me to pay for my meal.

So it really depends on the person you're out with. Today people dont want guys to pay because its a new generation, new rules and new standards and everyone can fend for themselves.

So in my opinion, men should pay for the first date just to be chivalrous. But the woman can also chip in. But that won't always be the case. You will always have that question and wonder whether men or women should pay.

Good myTake :-)

• More from Girls
    5

What Guys Said 27

• you basically failed at blurring that guys face. but good job overall.

As for the question you asked, there's no way men should have to pay. Women are supposed to enjoy the man's time as much as the man enjoys their's. That's the whole point: you can't PAY somebody to share an experience that's meant to be mutually beneficial. The whole, "if the man asked the woman out, he should pay" dogma is bull: either you want to go on a date and share valued time with somebody or you don't. It becomes even worse when the man's expected to pay for the date to get sex: these guys are stuck in the 1950s.

• Yeah I agree with you too. And yeah lol I know but I got better at bluring his face near the end :D.

• @BuchitaBuchys When women expect men to pay for their dates, theyre saying that their time is more valuable than the mans, and that she is more important and needs to more or less be payed for it.

• @ForScience I didn't say that. I said whoever asks out. Pays. Man or woman

• Dayum boi, someone finally got the gall to do it. Good job!

• Woo-hoo! First video for the contest... hope we see more! :)

• I can't speak for others but I was raised traditionally and properly so I find it right to pay.

• What would you think if she dumped you after your first date you payed for?

• The one who asks the other for a date should at least offer to pay or both should chose to go Dutch.

• Short and sweet answer, no unless he asks her out. Even then it seems fair to each pay their own, especially in the beginning. It's not 1920 anymore.

• No never again should we have to pay on the first date. They've whined and complained for equal rights now they get to have equal responsibility by paying for the first date.

• And women should always give sex on the first date?

Watch this and you might think of it differently.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71o3hq6iSPM

by the way OP, you didn't censor the guys face.

• Men are expected to pay for the prostitutes service.

• YES! I hate it when women pay.

• dating is a dance, it requires both to be on their feet. paying for the first date is pretty simple i think. its just the start. i dont really put too much attention into it. but for the sake of the argument. Men should pay, yes. however, women should ask to pay as well. someone said that men paying first shows his commitment to her. not really true. a guy who has a lot of money could take out 5 different girls in a week with change out of his pocket. does that mean he's committed to all those women? no, paying doesn't mean more commitment. besides, no woman would want to see a large level of commitment on the first date anyway.
    dont measure a guy by his ability to pay for stuff. while i believe men should pay, dont EXPECT that of him all the time. someone also said that women spend a lot of money already to make themselves presentable to men. but makeup and fitness stuff that she spends money on, is for herself to look good for "men" and to look good in general. So she may already spend money to look good but its not for just that one guy, its for everyone that looks at her. including herself. That poor college guy who only had enough money for just one date decides to spend it on ONE girl. see the difference? you may say, "well if he's broke then he shouldn't be taking girls out." good point. then how else will he have any meaningful relationship? must be 5 years later when he's out of college and has a good job with money but no time to take women out.
    my point is, yes the guy should pay for the first date. but women should also appreciate this gesture a lot more because you dont know if he just spent his entire week of food money for you because he likes you.

• The first meeting is not really a date. It is to see if there is a shared interest to spend more time together.

On my online dating profiles I include in the part of what a first date should be that it is dutch. We each pay for what we ordered. The main reason is I had a woman tell me a few years ago that see sees dating as free food. I am serious. That is about as selfish as it gets!

If she really can't afford to spend money on a light lunch to talk over then there are ways to have an initial meeting that does not take money.

If I am considered a cheap bastard because of this then we would most likely never get along and it is best we spent the time on an initial meeting with someone who does not revolve around the love of money.

• Awesome! Good job :)

• Great video and great interviews.

• Good. Could have blurred the face better. He was the greatest contributor.

• He was really nice to me he even bought me a drink I nicely declined and thanked him, but he insisted again so I gave in.

• Yeah he seems a cool guy.

• I might just do this on my campus lol how long do we have?

• I ALWAYS pay even if I don't like the girl. I've been taken for a sucker a few times (girls looking for free meal tickets... cunts). However if I want to get physical with the girl I have no choice. Only exception if she is really REALLY into me. I have had girls buy me drinks before.

Also I think a "feminist" should never EVER have the man pay for a first date. She should say "we are going dutch" before the date even starts. If she does milk the female benefit she is dbag cunt hypocrite. Sadly there are many women out there milking the double standards.

With that said I have the most amazing girlfriend ever right now that sometimes gets me meals, buys me gifts, etc. I do most of the spending but she is absolutely no freeload at all. She is also way younger than me and not making that much money. Love her a lot for her thoughtfulness and fairness. I don't think twice about treating her out... ever.

• Hhaa yeah man there is def a double standard there with women and with men as well. Hey at least you had come across some amazing women.

• for every 7 mediocre women, 3 Dbag women (yes this includes you feminists) I occasionally run into a decent girl.

My current girl is beautiful, motivated (pre med student), giving, very into me (including sexually), responds to my kindness with genuine kindness. She is also way younger (21) which makes it even more surprisingly interesting.

We've only been dating for about 4 months. So I'm not going to speak too soon. But so far so good. So for all you frustrated guys out there remember not all women are bad, it's a numbers game. Just takes a lot of trial and error.

• Assuming the man actually wants the date to go as well as possible, then duh. Of course he should pay. Even if a woman doesn't need a provider, she is still subconsciously attracted to a provider. Spliting the bill creates a "you're on your own" vibe that will only decrease attraction.

If you don't want to spend money on a fancy restaurant then don't go to one. Or don't go to one at all. I reserve food and drinks till several hours into a date, and if things go well, and they usually do, we'll have kissed by then and $30 on drinks and a meal is fine.

No woman I've ever been out with has complained, most can't keep their hands off me, so you don't need to spend money to have fun and attract a woman. If anything, I think being able to have a great date without spending much money contributes to her attraction.

• If the guy is paying for everything he probably expects something to happen which basically makes it indirect prostitution with a bit of roulette chucked in.
    Personally if things didn't go well and I thought before hand she expected me to pay because i'm a guy Id excuse my self early to leave her with the bill without even feeling bad.
    If she said before hand to split though id split, but being expected to pay just annoys me. I don't like feeling used.

• I usually do dinner, and a movie. Women pay for the movie, and I pay for the food

• More from Guys
    7