Guys, How To Date When You Are Broke AF

Let's be real. Dating typically requires money. You need money to get ready, money for the movie tickets, for the club, for the dinner, for the coffee and ice cream, for gas, for the concert, for the bar, for the festival...and so on and so on. It is extremely hard if you are a guy trying to date with no money because often times, not all, but a good majority of women and society expect you to at least foot the bill for the first date which is typically where you want to make the best first impression. It's kind of hard to do when you are broke AF, but where there is a will, there is a way!

What You Personally Need To Handle Your Lack of Money

1. Honesty with yourself: if you are really keen on dating while broke, you have to be realistic. Money most likely isn't going to just appear right in front of you to solve all your money problems. Know your actual budget, even if it's zero. Don't get swept up in the idea that you can stretch your cash even for the girl of your dreams, when the reality is, you can't, no matter how awesome she is.

2. Creativity: you've got to be able to think beyond just forking over a lot of money for an expensive dinner. Sit down, pen and paper, and jot down some alternative date ideas, or get ideas from friends who know your situation.

3. Time: you can't just pop into any old restaurant or head over to any old event with a limited or non-existent budget. You are going to at least have to spend a little time online or via the newspaper, or your phone looking up things that are free or low cost, and/or looking up menu, movie, or ticket prices ahead of time, so you know if you can or can't afford something.

4. Self-Love: Everyone hits on some hard times from time to time. Don't beat yourself up if someone is rejecting you because of your lack of cash flow or get down on yourself because you feel like you can't afford to date. If you are working on your money situation, that situation will pass over time, but in the meantime, be as positive as you can and try to have a sense of humor about your situation.

Explaining Your Situation

Tell The Truth: if you know the person you're wanting to go out with, it's probably best if you are at least somewhat honest or totally honest about your money situation. Let them know you are a broke college student, or you've fallen on hard times, or you're trying to pay off your college loans first, etc. Someone you actually do want to stick around and date will understand and hopefully you can both work around your money situation creatively. Those that put you down for this or let you know they aren't interested in you anymore should be a big flaming red warning flag. Even though it may hurt, it is better to have seen that persons true character up front, rather than to start to really like them but find out how much they really are into you(r money).

or you know...

Lie: if you don't know the person you're wanting to go out with or you really don't feel like outing your money situation, LIE CREATIVELY, or let's just say, get creative with the truth. For example, if you're trying to save money on the dinner you're paying for, order a garden salad and some free water. If your date gets curious, go into this whole speech about how you are trying to get in shape or used to be fat or you're training for something and you're on a strict diet that requires you to only eat certain things at certain times. Really lay into how much it sucks that you have watch what you eat because you love meat and cake, but that you know it will be worth it. Now, you don't have to pay for a dessert or alcohol for yourself at least, and you might inadvertently guilt your date out of doing the same, thus saving you some money and laying down the foundation for you to save money on at least your portion of future dates involving food. If you get caught chowing on something else, it's a "cheat day." LOL.

Plan Your Dates

Easiest way to save some cash is to plan your dates. When you're in control, you decide where to go (is it free, let's go there!) and how much you can spend and still be able to pay your rent. Many cities list events online that are really dirt cheap or free. Take full advantage of this list and plan your dates around them. Often times its everything from free concerts, to outdoor movies, to local festivals, art conventions, to museum free days.

Pick the time, Cap The Time, and Pick Odd Days

The longer your date runs, the more money you're likely to have to spend. Let your date know you want to hang out, but you're a busy man (true or not) with work projects or school or family obligations. Would she mind if you hung out for an early dinner, so you can attend to your business later. Know your favorite places happy hours and discount days/times and take full advantage. Breakfast will typically be cheaper than lunch or dinner. Go out on odd days where food menu prices or event prices can be much lower than on Fridays, Saturdays, or Sundays.

Use a Coupon

This is the time when either you have no shame in your game, or you turn into the Ninja of couponing. If you're a Ninja, wherever your coupon is to, wrap the coupon around your cash/credit/debit card so you can discretely pull it out of your wallet and tuck it in with the bill or hand it to the ticket taker, or whomever. You can also have your date take a seat to "avoid the long line," and you can pay alone without her taking note of your coupon. If there is no shame in your game, and you're up front and honest, hey, you're trying to save money, if she doesn't like it, she can pay...

Don't Spend Much (Or Any) Money On the First Date

There is a 50% chance on a first date that it won't work out and you'll never see that person again. Why run the risk of going for broke every time you want to go on a first date. Make some sandwiches, whip up some lemonade, throw in some fruit in a basket, grab a blanket and go for a relaxing date at the park really talking and getting to know one another (*cough, cough* not spending money). If you're more of the shy type, plan the free date around some free park event so you have something to do and interact with before you picnic. Or if you are more of the active type or types, use city bikes to travel round and get lost in your city, capped with a picnic in the park.

Crash Everyone's Party

If your friends are known to throw parties, that means free alcohol and some type of food. Invite your date to come to meet you at the party and have a good time--no extra gas money, food money, alcohol money spent.

Cook

If you have any sort of skill, even if its mediocre, now is the time to pull it out of your butt. Get someone to help you set up a nice table, borrow some nice flatware and plates if you don't have them (borrow some food while you're at it), and get to work making whatever meal you can make that seems or is awesome. If you food fail, it's cute that you tried so hard, if you succeed, you're f--king amazing, and she knows it. A man who can cook, yes, please!

Netflix and Chill

We all know what it means, but it's the standard standby like a dinner date, and it works, so why ruin a good thing. If you are too broke and can't afford Netflix, go to your local library and borrow a couple of movies for free. Pop some dollar store popcorn, and have her bring the wine or the beer.

Pull The Emergency Broke Alarm!

Dear God, is she reaching for the wine list that includes no prices? Has she just suggested that you hit up a movie and you're already nickle and diming it after that dinner? Has she just suggested you attend an event where the admission is $50 a head? You're sweating under the pressure and you have two choices...tell the truth, you can't afford it=way easier by the way or...get creative with the truth or hell at this point, just lie.

For the wine, place the menu down gently, and say do you mind not drinking tonight. I'm a few months sober. It's an a-hole move that you may regret later if things work out or don't because she may think you have a drinking problem which would be your own damn fault, but remember, you can't afford wine lists with no prices!!! Why did you even go to that restaurant, you idiot?!? Desperate times bro! Desperate times...

For the movie, it's time to suddenly get sick. Like deathly sick. Maybe it was the free water you drank earlier or your soul internally crushing at the thought of having to explain to the ticket taker that you don't have it tonight, but either way, you need to abort this mission asap with a, I'm so sorry. This date has been going so well, and I've been trying to stay upbeat, but whatever we just ate has not been sitting right with me. Do you mind if we just cut it short, I definitely want to make it up to you later. Clutch your chest a bit for emphasis (maybe it's heartburn instead of a stomach thing, you can't remember) and immediately tell her you'll make plans with her later.

For her expensive plans that you can't afford, again, you could just tell the truth, or a work thing just came up, but YOU would love to make some new plans soon. Emphasis on you would love to make the plans, so you can avoid having to drop cash like that.

Or if all else fails, per-emptively lose your wallet. Before you get into some awkward or painful situation where you have to fork over some cash (that you don't have, remember you don't have any more money to spend), go to the bathroom and stash your wallet in a sock, in your undies, in the inside secret pocket of a jacket, or toss it under your seat in the car, that way when it comes to paying now at the counter, oh my my, you've lost your wallet! Now, this works because she saw you pay earlier, so she may not be aware you're pulling a stunt...now, but again, desperate times and since you aren't into telling the truth at this point, it's a last resort. Be SO embarrassed or SO frantic or SO pissed off looking for it. Oh no, you might have left it on the bathroom counter, go check buddy, it might still be there, nooooo, it's gone...ugh! What is the world coming to? LOL! Run with it bro, just run with it...or like I said, just tell the truth up front...

*You can only use these gems so many times or once, and use them at your own risk because you may get caught in your own web of lies*

Good luck...with everything

BeeNee is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 26

Contrary to some belief, a lot of girls don't mind simple dates that are cost efficient and won't make your wallet be empty. The point of a date is to be together and to learn more about each other, having a big wallet isn't required. Also if you're a bit creative you can make simple dates fun and exciting for both of you.

These are good tips. Creativity is a big one.

Great tips! :)

I dated and was in a relationship when I was unemployed. I wasn't as comfortable and happy as I should have been.

From now on, when I'm on broke status, I don't date.

Nope. If I'm having a problem paying my bills the last thing I'm looking to do is add more expenses.

Great take

I always laugh when I see people writing these kinds of takes on this site. This advice is useless to the majority of guys on here. It's like teaching a homeless man how to invest in the stock market. You'd be better off telling them how to get a date with a girl in the first place. Or how to talk to a girl.

Thanks, I'm glad I brought some laughter into your life. :)

Lots of good advice there - I would just go with the "Be honest" one

BECOME A MALE GOLD DIGGER! solution found!

i respect those men who screw bitches and pay no money. respect!

I have money, but what I don't have are dates.
    ... there's probably a correlation between the two.

Oh man, i love your writing! I feel as if I'm the broke guy in your situation, plus your advice seems legit.
    Only barely seems legit, I can't stop grinning :)

Taking notes!

How To Date When You Are Broke AF:

Don't. Get your priorities right and go make some money first.

"Don't. Get your priorities right and go make some money first. "

Yeah, that's true. I just wonder all the time how the hell does people who are on benefits are dating girls all the time if they don't have any money? O_o...

Thank you so much BeeNee for posting this! Broke men should NOT be undatable, especially the 80% majority of Autistic Adults who remain unemployed for decades or lifetimes. We ARE capable of true love! Though many of us are not interested in romance to begin with, there are some who ARE interested in romance, myself included.

Right now I personally am not unemployed, but we'll see if that's still the case when my probationary period at my current employer ends on 10/6/2016. If I don't get to keep my job, it could be months or years before I get another one, and I shouldn't have to waste that time not dating just because I have so little disability money left after paying my HIGH SoCal rent and bills.

Personally I think a woman should only demand that a man be employed and/or have a certain amount of income if she wants children by him. I'm one of those Childfree Autistic Adults who is hated by the non-Autistic majority in the TINY Childfree Community. Dating is hard enough without having to get bashed & rejected for my apparent lack of money whether employed or not. I'm very clean and have a home where I live alone that I can afford with just my disability money if I'm unemployed. Making a little extra money certainly helps with many things, dating included, but I can survive without when necessary.

i'll treasure this infos since im broke as fuck
    thank you :) !

Low cost / no cost is the best way for BOTH parties on 1st dates , as it does not pressure either party , you want to both be able to eject if it does not go well , this applies to men too , NOT just women , a man has to weed out the users & abusers too !!

Lol no wonder women gold dig so much. Your take was very insightful

Just don't lie, tell her the truth, that you're broke! If you're turned down because of THAT, you successfully have avoided a filthy gold digger. Thank your guardian angel.

1. date a girl who not all about money like the girl am dating now. But that's not to say we both xant waste money on dumn shit

hilarious mytake... teach those men to be simps. Part 2: How to beg for sex

lol very funny-as though men should do all the work, love it. bet the simps eat it up

That's right, we must reduce ourselves to become the ultimate bitch-boy in order to earn the respect and privilege of cohabitating with a high maintenance, selfish, and entitled female.

If I'm extra lucky maybe I'll have the privilege of sacrificing half of my assets to her.

@ayylamo the force is strong with this one

You'd think with all this equality BS feminists scream about constantly that they put some work on their behalf... equally! but no we got to do it all as usual. Since when do they put any effort in to dating. This is why feminism and equality should be abolished becuase its not working out for us. Women just want everything that suits them like spoilt brats because they deserve it for having a vagina.

• More from Guys
    6

What Girls Said 8

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this title so much. Great job on the article also!

A bowl of fruity pebbles w/ 2% will do for me. I'm a simple mf. Bon appa titty lol. Hell a grilled cheese and tap water is excellent in my eye's😂🤔 maybe this is why I'm single.

Best date I ever went on: I just got off work and he wanted to spend time with me, we met at a park and watched a meteor shower. That night I laughed so much and had a great time. He brung a bottle of some cheap wine we could barely stand the taste of but that wasn't to much of a problem it gave us something to talk and laugh about.
    People make dating so much harder than it has to be. Stop stressing over dsting, start having fun dating.

Great advice!

I would like to add:

Preferably don't date! Just hang out and save up. Most girls want to be showed what you're made of and if you want to wine and dine a girl, you'll need money.

There's nothing wrong with getting to know a girl as friends and going on hikes together, especially in a group setting so you get to see how she acts around other people (including your guy friends).

If you don't have money, don't waste treating a girl special until you are ready. Because with dating... comes sex and if you aren't carefu, comes along a baby! And that's even more expensive than a date!

Lmao. otherwise, dating without having to use money does use your creativity so that would be pretty fun! Just don't forget what I said above 😂

That's all great stuff 😂

Here's my addition: get a better job :)

Just go to the park and things woh are free

Loved it

well, I think the impressing a girl and wooing her success rate is pretty high. .