10 Dating Apps That Put A Spin on Online Dating

10 Apps That Put A Spin on Online DatingDating is not what it used to be (from what I hear). Fifty years ago a guy asked a girl on a date in person, now we're lucky if guys ask us to go on a "date" (via text) instead of "hangout." But I've embraced modern dating and so has most of the world. Which is why online dating has blown up so much in the past few years.

With so many dating sites/apps out there (Tinder, OKCupid, Match, and more) its hard to figure out which one is right for you. The good thing about there being so many is that there is something for everyone:

WyldFire

What Makes It Stand Out: Wyldfire gives all the power to women, this dating app let's women chose who gets to join. Bye, bye, creepers!

Cost: Free

The League

A Twist on Tinder: The League can limit who sees a users profile. This is perfect for people who want to be on dating apps without anyone knowing they're on dating apps.

Cost: Free

Happn

Here's What Happns: Every time you cross paths with a Happn user in real life, their profile shows up on your timeline. Like Tinder you secretly like their profile, but they won’t find out unless the interest is mutual.

Cost: Free

TheCatch

No Pickup Lines: This app is like no dating app you've seen before. TheCatch is a game; women invite players, the first four guys to accept become contestants and whoever get the highest score wins/gets paired up with the woman.

Cost: Free, currently in beta.

The Dating Lounge

High-End: Professional matchmaker Samantha Daniels created this app; she describes it as the only dating community where friends date each other’s friends. So if you ever wanted to date your friend's friend, Suzy, this app is for you!

Cost: Free, but it's invite only.

The Grade

Female Friendly: The concept for this app is simple "make the grade or be expelled." The Grade holds singles accountable for their dating behavior and uses an algorithm to expel low quality singles who are hostile, offensive, unresponsive and undesirable.

Cost: Free

Siren

Ring The Alarm: With Siren users show hints of themselves through answers to daily, curated ice-breakers. Then women share their photos with men they choose to safely send signals of interest. No pre-crafted profiles and no swipe-to-reject approach.

Cost: Free, but the app is (currently) only available in Seattle and Portland.

Hinge

Friends of Friends: Another app you can use to date/meet friends of friends. Except this one is not as exclusive. Hinge believes in keeping it "real." You meet real people, through your real friends, in real life.

Cost: Free

Coffee Meets Bagel

Bagel Love: This app matches you with one bagel (person) per day, so you have day to think about whether or not you are interested in said person. If you like them you click "LIKE" if you don't you click "PASS." Sort of like Tinder, minus the creepy weirdos.

Cost: Free

Pure

Dating Uber: Pure describes itself as "Uber for dates." Their manifesto is "Some people are looking for just one partner, while others want to explore and enjoy. It’s your choice, and Pure helps you act on it!"

Cost: Free

Like I said there's an app for everyone. It doesn’t matter whether you're looking for something serious or something casual, so go forth and date ;)

gagTake is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 18

• where's the app that won't let fatties and single moms join?

• They all look pathetic.

• I know this app, it's called "talking to women in person". It works great.

• I rather get cancer, aids and ebola all at once than lower myself to go on these TORTURE sites !
    Hope they go bankrupt !!

• Basically, women sit and judge you, then reject you if you don't meet their ridiculously high standards, then bitch about how they can never find a good man because all they allow is the "bad boy" types. Female friendly I guess is code as "Fuck you Men!"

• I could have said it better... but yes... yes

• @jannette723 It's because the moment men have standards, we are looked down upon. It's quite the double standard. Online dating as a male SUCKS!

• Yea right, make a male profile, email, as many women as you want and wait for the zero responses.

• Nice take I liked it

• i never found the idea of casualy dating girls i don't care about very appealing.
    Could be useful in the future though.

• Dating sites only work for women not men unless they are one of the top 10% of men based on income, attractiveness.

• *barf*

A lot of these seem to be built to screw up dating rather than help it along...

• I would rather have my eyball plucked out with a rusty corkscrew than use any of these services.

• The Catch's concept says it all - in this modern age of feminism, women still want men to fight over them.

• Don't be an fool! 99% girls use this just to boost EGO.

Be a man go out and pickup some girls. Damn lazy ass.

• Amen, but here's a little catch in doing that, (and I'll know because, well, i do it)
      the ones you like usually don't feel the same, and the ones that you attract, may not be what you are looking for.
      Spoken from experience.
      Im not picky, my main thing is intelligence and even THAT is hard to find... so weird

• That's not true. it's because you're chasing girl you like. I was making same mistake, I didn't give her enough "space". Also trying to hard.. Good luck

• Great, more ways women with unrealistic standards can nitpick at men for not being real life Bruce Wayne's.

Dating sites are just a more subtle way for men to feel inadequate about themselves

• I find myself a bit perturbed that you would say that guys don't ask girls out on a date and NOT a hangout, because that's EXACTLY what I've been doing for years and I do it face to face not over the phone and over a text to me that's some weakshit. I've gotten numbers, dates, memorable relationships (short term mainly) and a handful of no's as well but it hasn't stopped me nor will it. I don't believe in online dating it's not for me however if that's how someone else feels like that they need to do that then so be it. I'll stick to the old school way.

• I wonder if the online dating bubble will burst.

• I just got a new iPod Touch so I can now get these apps, thank you I'm going to have to try them all.

• A very good collection of apps and good description of each. I think this is your best take so far. (Excluding the first take)

• I will never use these dating apps, they seem ridiculous.

What Girls Said 8

• Isn't the "League" dating app exclusive? I know it's free but I heard there is like a waiting list to get on it. Also isn't only available in California until they get more funding?

• Cool! i JUST feel werid dating online.

• i have only one thing to say, that first picture's quality is terrible.
    they should have used a chromatic or polarizing filter to cancel the reflections..

• Would so try one of these if I was single haha I'm sure you helped a lot of people out!

• The Catch one looks fun! The Happn one seems creepy

• I met my boyfriend on OkCupid

• I didn't know so many dating apps existed.

• Thats probably about 9% if you count in the tried, the failed, the struggling, the ongoing, the popular and the paid. This is free...

• oh and no, i just know em, i don't use em.

• Cue guys complaining about the apps catering exclusively to and blowing up the egos of women.

• That's whys the apps are doing, though.

• There are apps for men. The difference is men just want to naked pics to 'like' or 'dislike', they have no interest in putting effort into dating.

• Hey, it's true, though! Men send almost all of the messages and respond to most of the messages they receive. Of course, I would be interested in the percentage that were "show me ur tits."

My favorite concept, which is now just a german site, was "Adopt-A-Guy." which seemed to combat this issue and really help with the creepy messages issue. On that site, a man can show interest, the woman can then 'adopt' a guy, allowing messages to be sent back and forth.

In this way, women always have to send the first message. So it's good for guys, because women actually have to chip in an effort, rather than sitting back and lazily raking in the messages. It's good for girls, because nobody can message you until you allow them to. So fewer creepy messages, and a much more manageable inbox.

I wish they could bring that back.