My parents won't let me meet a guy I met on the internet. HELP!!!?

I am 26 years old. I have been talking to a guy onilne for a few weeks and would like to meet him but I know my parents won't allow it because of where we met I really like him and dont want to say I can't meet you because my parents won't let me at 26. I do not have many friends so I can't say I met through a friend has anyone got any ideas? Thanks

Most Helpful Guy

• Why the hell are your parents even in the loop? If you are living with them take this as a sign and move out. If you aren't then why did you even tell them. Just go out and meet the guy if you want but make it very public, no private secluded areas and do not ever leave him alone with your food or drinks. There are a lot of freaks on the world, and meeting a guy from the net alone is a good way to get dead quick, or raped. Your parents are just trying to protect you, but you are 26 for heaven's sake, start being your own woman and an adult, make your own choices and support yourself 100% if you aren't already.

What Guys Said 9

• You're 26. You're allowed to meet whomever you please. Unless you're still living with your parents, that is. Tell them you met a nice fellow at work or out at the mall and he asked you on a date. It doesn't always have to be through someone else.

• ^ This. Worse comes to worse, say a pickup artist (reminds me of another question, lol) asked you on the street =-)

• have you a web cam with the guy yet?
    because if you haven't then your parents have the right to worry a little. And don't met in some seedy place either.

But if this is impossible and you just really want to meet this guy... you girl have to bring your best friend with you, bring a girlfriend with you to meet the guy. I met a girl online... girl that i met by the mall also brought her best friend to see if i was real...^_^ i was real... and we went out

• Well I'm a guy so factor that into my response. My first thought is why haven't you moved out yet? If you want the freedom are talking about it sounds like you will have to leave. I'm 23 and I only moved out about a month ago so I took a while myself because I was saving funds for school.

Other than that, I would say see if you can set up webcam and then invite your parents to talk to him. Seeing and hearing him makes things a little different. Just a thought.

• If you are 26, you should be living on your own and making your own decisions

• Well you parents can't really stop you can they? A lot of people meet online these days but understand your parents pov. I definitely would not recommend meeting someone you met on the internet alone, you should be careful if you do meet up with them.

• I agree with Fr4nk. Prioritize safety. Even better try to bring her with under the radar perhaps. You do not owe it to him to let him know if you are by yourself or not.

• When I say her I guess I mean your best friend. Someone you trust anyway.

• Be an adult and make your own decisions.

• lie about it. say you are going out for coffee

• They can't legally stop you, defy them and go for it if you really want, and if the guy turns out not to be who you thought he was? Lesson learned. Its part of growing up is learning from our mistakes.

• Say you met him at work. How do your parents still have this much say in your life? If they're that controlling you definitely need to move out.

What Girls Said 5

• Arrange to "meet-up" at a neutral public place, then you won't be lying when you say you met him there. In all honesty, until you do meet him in person, you haven't actually met him at all. There is no lie, or any need for subterfuge, only semantics and minor details to flesh out. On a side note, "forget" everything you think you know about him, and play the "get to know you" game all over again. That way you can double check that he's real if you catch him in a lie or tripping over what he's already told you.

On a very relevant note, if you still need parental approval, are you really mature enough to date?

• Your 26 not 16, your parent can't tell you what to do. Grow a backbone! Your an adult who is fully capable of making your own decisions.

• Why are your parents even still in charge of you?

• OMG girl I feel you I'm 22 but I get what it's like living with family like that it's the worst
    U don't know him personally?

• I would personally never meet some random stranger, from the internet, thats just too dangerous.
    But with that said, come on, you are 26 years old, your parents have NO power over you or your decision, no matter what you wan't. I think they are right in this case, but man up for christ sake, you are a grown up, and have been for years!