Why do lovers call each other "baby" or "babe"?

Why would you call your lover like that? For me, it's like you're calling them a ignorant baby who doesn't know anything :/ I don't see how it's cute or endearing.

Most Helpful Guy

• The word 'babe' has been used to mean 'an attractive young woman' since at least 1915. The origins of the word come from words meaning old woman and grandmother, which turned into a word that meant peasant woman, that eventually changed into the word baby that meant childish person. The form 'babe' branched off 100 years ago.

So, if you think someone calling their partner 'babe' is them comparing them to a baby, you are missing 100 years of connotation. A person calls their partner 'babe' because they are comparing them to an attractive young person (it's kind of gone gender neutral in the last 20 years or so, and doesn't only refer to a woman any more). When a lover refers to a partner as 'baby', like "Hey, Baby", they are making a play off of the word Babe, not referencing a literal baby.

If you don't pick up that meaning when you hear the word, don't use it with your partner. But that doesn't mean that other people can't use the word to mean what it means. It has never, in the thousand + years of use in various forms, meant 'ignorant'.

What Guys Said 7

• I think it started because whoever first said it cared about his girl as much as he would care about their baby or something.

• I do not like the term either. Not because it compares them to a baby, but because it is too generic. I like to give my girlfriends original petnames/nicknames.

• No clue, first time I ever used it I didn't even notice I did.
    It's just a much more endearing way to talk to someone.

• Pet names? depends on the person, can be fun and shows love, past relationship i was her hellion and she was my little monster.

• It's pet names couples use for one or other

• I like it, has a nice retro sound to it, baby.

• I use it sometimes on people I'm not in love with or whatever. Sometime, it just fits what I'm saying

What Girls Said 6

• Definitely better than couples calling each other "mommy" and "daddy". EWWWWWWWWW

• Ewww wtf is this real?

• here it is. Also, the Germans have some "unusual" pet names... Names people use to call others, espcially girls, doesn't have to be your girlfriend though, could be your niece, or the kid you're babysitting, etc. Here we go: "Maus" = mouse; "Schnecke" = snail. Those are the ones I find "what?" I mean, what kind of girl wants to be compared to a slimy crawling thing?

• I think it sounds cute and would much rather get called that than what my idiot ex boyfriend called me. "Hey cupcake". Excuse while i go somewhere to gag

• There is no meaning behind as you think. They do because it is cute to say it, that is it.

• I think you're reading a bit too much into it

• It a sense of endearment.

• I don't get it either. My bf always calls me babe or baby. I'm younger than him as it is, so I don't want to be reminded of that in a daily basis.