Girls would you ever date a guy with mental illness?

Or would you be too scared

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on the mental illness.

• Anxiety ocd and ptsd

• It's true that there are some women out there who are better equipped to handle mental illness than others. They will be understanding, kind, and slow to judge. I just think it depends on the girl.

• I just think that it's the big reason I'm gonna be permanently single I literally have the whole recipe to be I'm shy, socially awkward and I have these mental illnesses

What Girls Said 17

• Depends on what mental illness exactly.

• I would. I would like to talk about his/her problem... And try to help her/him to solve it.

• Well I have a mental disorder so not sure how that would go. :D So I kind of need someone who can think clearly.

• no i would not..

• Do You seriously wouldn't even give him a chance what if he's a good person and it's ocd, anxiety and ptsd

• Yeah the ptsd come from watching a parent die and nothing he could do to stop or help

• I have been through that.. so i can understand.. don't worry. you'll find a very nice girl..

• I study psychology. So sure, why not!

• Depends on the illness and to what extent, and to what extent it's just them thinking they have a mental illness.

• I would be too scared. So no.

• Oh it completely depends on the illness and severity of the illness.

• Like ocd and anxiety and ptsd

• Depends on the severity but as long as he could open up and trust me I'd have no problem with those.

• Wow this remind me of the Korean drama "kill me heal me"... The girl dates a guy with D. I. D Aka multiple personality disorder. It isn't so romantic in real life though. So I wouldn't, I'd be too scared DX

• Depends on the illness.

• Ocd anxiety and ptsd

• Whys that what if his obsessions were beneficial in a relationship like obsessed with keeping you happy

• Maybe that will workout.

I just don't do well with ocd

• It really depends on the mental illness. If they were having treatment and therapy all the time to improve their health, I guess this wouldn't be a problem.

• Depends on the illness and if he is getting help for it.

• Ocd anxiety and ptsd

• No from watching a parent die and feeling helpless

• Well as long as he is getting help for it

• I have aniexty and panic disorder and depression so yes I would

• if i really liked the guy, it shouldn't matter

• his problems are not mine to fix I don't want to babysit my boyfriend

• That's really selfish

• I didn't mean it to sound selfish I just would like to date a guy who is emotionally and mentally stable and healthy everyone to a certain degree is mentally ill it's a human condition I'm sorry if I offended you

• I'm in love with a guy with depression, so absolutely.

1 in 4 people suffer with some kind of mental illness in their lives :( , so the probability of dating a mentally ill person is pretty high tbh.

I disagree with seeing people with mental illness as 'scary'; it's way more scary for the ill person.

• I have mental illnesses (OCD, ADHD, BPD (and spectrum disorders)) and because of that reason, it would be hard for me to be in a relationship with someone that has mental illnesses too. I just don't believe that I could tolerate and be tolerated for the other person and I could handle all the problems, including my lover's, at once.

What Guys Said 3

• I have a soft spot in my heart for cripples, bastards, and broken things. I've dated several mentally ill chicks, though I guess that's irrelevant to the question; but, I assume there is some reason you opened the question to both males and females.

Maybe I'm damaged, so I can more easily relate to damaged women. And there's this sort of openness, there, when you both know the other is in pain. It easily becomes your job to look after the other. Sometimes. I would agree with the other girls, though. It really depends on the severity.

There has to be a balance.

In any case, if this is in reference to yourself, unless you're in a situation where it's already a given that you have issues--i. e. rehab, an anonymous meeting, some other group therapy or whatever, then you should really keep that to yourself, if you're looking for a girl.

I found out quite quickly that the way you describe yourself becomes your identity to other people. If you say, "Well, I'm insane/aggressive/whatever so..." they will view you as what you describe: they are more apt to believe negative qualities about you, if you mention them. Naturally.

The anxiety is probably easy enough. The OCD, it depends on how so, as the girls mentioned. PTSD is tricky. Again, that could be a lot of work, like schizophrenia, depending on severity.

Portraying your damaged genes isn't exactly desirable, for anyone. It might be easier for males to just fuck a girl who's damaged, because they don't lose anything from it. But for a woman, she has to consider the best possible male, as she only has one egg per month. She can't simply waste that on a male who has bad genes. I'm sure many would be outraged at the idea, but that's how it is. Sperm is cheap and abundant, so we lose nothing from fucking any woman.

As for mental illness. I was told I had Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, Severe, when I was 15. It was just teen angst and realizing the shit in the world, but they convinced me that I had an illness. I don't trust Big Pharma as far as I could throw them. The definitions of mental illnesses expand every year, in the DSM. What I'm saying is be careful labeling yourself. You might just end up falling prey to a self-fulfilling prophesy. I. e. "this is what I am. I could be nothing else." Don't limit yourself. And, in most cases, I don't think medication is necessary. 33% of the pop. is mentally ill. Supposedly. Psychology > Psychiatry

• Probably not.
    But if she was healthy when i met her, i would not just abandon her. That's different.

• Mental illness can be anything from mild depression to schizophrenia. If you've ever taken antidepressants you've been treated for a mental illness.