Why do guys text instead of call?

Recently I have been seeing this guy for about 4 months. We really hit it off and enjoy it each alot! I just don't get it, our lines of communication are mostly thru emails and text. I don't understand, as text and emails can be very confusing. So.any advice?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's unimportant as long as you're seeing each other regularly. Probably just his preferred mode of communication.

• I tend to agree with you. It seems as though he communicates with everyone via email..etc. To me, texting is something that is of the new generation and that is what bothers me. Plus my own thoughts of texting are that they are used for flirting vs talking.

What Guys Said 5

• its not guys, its him. in fact its usually the other way around. why? I don't know. but I could never take someone seriously who insisted on texting rather than calling.

• He might be shy.

Some guys dislike talking on telephones.

Is he a computer/tech fanatic? He might communicate with _everyone_ through text and email.

You can tell a lot from body language and tone of voice, so I agree email and text can be a little confusing.

I suggest being direct, and saying you want to talk on the phone more. Perhaps you could mention that tone of voice is important for communication, and you feel as if you're missing parts of his meaning.

• I agree he's shy but usually a guy would want to call because texting or emails require writing and planning but planning isn't that bad because you can think about what your going to say. He's trying to be refined to you.

• Touche...good point. But here's the deal, I don't find him shy at all. Also, refined to me?? help me out with that one!

• convienece

• it's easier

What Girls Said 6

• I also hateee it after a while... Sometimes I do text because I'm SCARED. (I have a fear of talking on the phone. lol) But I do prefer him to call me if it's very important or he wants to chat rather than having a conversation through texts. I find it childish after a while. Maybe in the beginning of the relationship it should be through texts... but I do believe texts, emails, writing in general (unless he was far away and wrote you snail mail) is not a good form of communication.

Then again, as guys said it--- it maybe his way of communication and he is texting you regularly... Maybe you should be the one calling though to get it started?

• Many guys pick text and emails as the way to communicate with girl because they could choose what to say and make them less nervous. Usually this type of guys are not talkative and shy. You can make him stop by not answer his email and texts and if he is crazy about you, he'll start calling.

• that is odd seeing as how you two have been together for 4 months. that's a really long time for the most part. See, usually people use text and email as opposed to phone because it's easier and MUCH less awkward. for instance, if he is a somewhat shy person, he may act more confident when talking to you through a chatting network. on the phone, you're kind of dealing with an in-the-moment converation, which could make him more nervous of what to say outloud. Online he can check his typos and basically read over everything he wrote to you, as to make sure not to say anyting wrong or weird or simply embarrassing! he doesn't want to lose you! but the thing is, he shouldn't care about silly stuff like that if he has been with you for 4 months! Hmm...do you guys hang out a lot in person? if so, then I don't know what he is thinking when choosing to always text you. maybe he just has an addiction to texting. some people do. I know I do! but if you don't hang out with him in person often, and have more of a long distance relationship (many do these days), then the 4 months pretty much don't matter and he's obviously still not 100% comfortable or secure around you.

if you want, you can always sarcastically be like, "you're obsessed with texting! it's ALL you ever do as a form of communication with me. most people just CALL." then make a cutesy face or call him silly or something. maybe that'll open his eyes a little, and he'll realize it IS odd that he always texts, and never ever calls, and then perhaps he'll ATTEMPT calling for a change? that's my opinion.

• Next time he text you tell him to call you. For example

Guy : Hey blondie45 how is your day going?

Blondie45: Why don't you give me a call and I'll tell you. I'd really like to hear your voice.

If this doesn't work just call him. Instead of responding to a text or email buy doing the same call him. Personally I hate text and think it is an immature form of communication. It is like passing notes in class.

• I kinda a prefer it, its nice if you occassionally talk on the phone but better to chat in person. Texts can be fun and its an easy way to say hi quickly & that your thinking of someone without having to have a long convosation, which sometimes is a pain. Like me in my job sometimes in the evening I cannot be arsed to chat to anymore people because I HAVE to do it all day long.

• I prefer texts and emails to phone calls. simply because it's easier to me, I'm shy and I always feel that I'm awkward. Don't know what to say.

It's also easier because it allows me to multi-task.

As long you see each other regularly :)