Would you date a blind person?

Would you ever date a blind person? Why or why not

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, as a "blind" person reading this, and many of us perfer you use "visually impaired".

Unfortunately, I've found that many women are shallow, and for some reason the lack of eyesight or enough vision to do things that a sighted person does on a daily basis bothers them. For instance, driving an automobile. Sure, and while it's not fair that I can't drive due to my eyesight, but I shouldn't be penalized by a woman because of it. I can't help the fact, and besides, would you want me behind the wheel? lol :)

I do very well, I have my own home, a great job and I take very good care of myself. Unfortunately, when meeting women, I get the "you're a nice guy, but..." (fill in the blank...)

Nobody wants someone who is "broken". I had perfect 20/20 vision at one time, but due to an accident, that changed my life forever. Now I am hoping that someday medical research will break through and help me and others see again (or for the first time). I am 33 years old, and I've been "visually impaired" for almost 4 years. I was engaged when my accident happened, and the girl left a few months after I was told my vision could not be repaired. You would think after knowing someone for 4.5 years, it wouldn't matter. But the day she left, she looked at me and said that she wanted a husband that could see her and her children someday. It's something I'll never forget. Since that time, I've tried to meet people, either through online dating, or when out with friends, but when I tell women or they learn that I am visually impaired, they lose intrest in me, and that's to bad.

You're probably asking how bad my eyesight is, well it's 20/400 in the left eye and I am 100% blind in the right eye. I see colors, but not that well anymore, lots of contrast (lits and darks) but detail is very hard for me to see without magnification, and the same goes for text/print, I need at least 12x magnification in order to read. I use a screen reader on my laptop and I have a 30" monitor here on my desk with a program that allows me to zoom-in and read if I need to, or look at a photo, or whatever...

I do everything I used to when I had eyesight, I travel, attend sporting events, work, etc, and when people see me do this or I talk about it, they can't believe it or are impressed. I live my life as normal as I am able to, sometimes I have to find ways of enjoying things a bit differently than when I had eyesight, but I still get enjoyment.

It's to bad that most women can't see past my lack of eyesight to get to know me. I still have a lot to offer someone.

And while my situation is probably different than a lot of other "visually impaired" people, I'm not speaking for them, just telling you what I've had to deal with when trying to meet someone.

So if you ever meet me or another visually impaired person, give them a fair chance, don't judge them or treat them any different than the next person.

-MH

• For blind, I meant like the stereotypical blind, meaning they need a sight seeing dog for instance and can't see anything at all.

and I'm really sorry about your eyesight. when I was little, if I hadn't have gotten glasses at the age I did (age two), I would be blind today. so I can somewhat, but not really, relate to you.

• Whoops- I didn't read your whole post when I posted the thing below, so ignore the first part. sorry :-)

• Message me

What Guys Said 16

• Yes. If I loved them to begin with. Some blind people can see things better then people who see with your eyes. And if you loved someone why would you not date them. If you are in love you are in love. Nothing else matters.

• I agree with you- I think blind people can "see" us better than we can. They see what truly matters, which is our inside.

Sometimes I think this world would be a better place if all of us looked the same and all we focused on was people's personalities.

• Sure.

Of course, with my luck, she would need the seeing eye dog, and I'd probably be horribly allergic.

It's not a deal breaker. If I thought she was beautiful, smart, charming, responsible and all that, then by all means, yes. Ha ha. And the kiss might be easier to do too, since she might not expect it. ;)

And wit MY level of ugly, it might be the ONLY way a woman would be interested in me.

• Dude I thought my girlfriend was outta my league, confidence man, confidence ;)

• I have dated a blind person before. It was the only relationship I ever had where she didn't screw me over in some way and make me have to dump her. We decided that we really weren't made for each other and are still friends today. She's a very awesome girl and I have nothing but good things to say about her. I wouldn't know what to do if she didn't want to be my friend anymore. Far more than I can say about any other girl I've ever been with.

• Sure. If I like the person it doesn't matter if the person is blind.

• wow now that is a tough question. Maybe dating but not marriage. There is just far too much responsobility and hassle to get things going, + I would love to have my wife see me + I am a very visual person myself as I am a design artist and filmaker.

• I like your answer. I like that you were real and honest-- I'm sure some people on here just said they would but they didn't think about the challenges the situation would bring.

• it depends who sets me up on the blind date.. if it is a good friend or family member or someone I trust, then I would probably go on it IF I wasn't liking anyone or getting over anyone at the time. what is the worst that can happen if you go on a blind date? you see her one night and never see her again.. or the best thing is that you start a relationship with her

• I would actually date a blind person if I find her attractive overall and there also if the chemistry is there. Yeah being blind is not a deal breaker for me.

• Yes, because we would get great parking at wal-mart and because no matter how old and ugly I continue to get. I'm beautiful to her no matter what.

• yeah why not?

as long as she's smart, funny, talkative and beautiful yeah

if my current girlfriend went blind I'd still love her

would be a bit gutted cos I want kids and it would be so hard

but it would be worth it if you loved them

actually tbh wouldn't date someone physically handicapped though :( sounds awful

• Honestly if she has an amazing personnality and i truly enjoy being around her i have no problem. If she relies on me or not doesn't really matter.

• Rather a girl can see or not doesn't matter to me as long as it doesn't negatively impact any of my typical deciding factors.

Personality: Personality can make up for a less-desirable trait or multiple traits all on it's own.

Style: Style similar to personality, but more focused on interaction and conversation style.

Looks/Appearance: Physical appearance only matters to a certain degree.

• no

i like someone who appreaciate my look and after I like someone who can be independant and be able to raise the kids like I can

• Excuse me what's that meant to mean...I am 27 I am a single mother to a 4 year old, I have a guide dog, I am registered blind. I take my daughter to shop, I take her everywhere. I am independant, I pay my own morgage. I pay my own bills, My daughters best friend is my guide dog. He has brought us more enjoyment in such a small space of time than an self centered man has. And he does more for us.

• I will date a blind person ,if I'm interested in her and she feel the same about me .

• Yes I definitely would! Most sighted women are never happy with what they have and are always looking for something better! I feel that if treated right a blind woman would not feel compelled to cheat because she won't be faced with someone a little better looking every day. It's a shame folks are that shallow, but it happens a lot!

• I don't have the time in my life to take the responsibility. Otherwise I probably would.

• Absolutely. I wouldn't have to comb my hair. Sweet.

What Girls Said 25

• if I loved them yes of course , anyone can go blind so what would happen to all the people who said no if the person they loved turned blind would they dump them? love isn't just about seeing each other although pysichal attraction does matter without a doubt but love is more than that so blinde, deaf or any kind of dissablity isn't going to make me not date someone if I like them I like them

good question

• I'm a girl but yes. I'd date a deaf one, too, but I guess I'd have to learn sign language. I'd also date someone paralyzed. If you like someone a lot those things shouldn't matter. I'm sure it will be more interesting to hear what guys have say though. Great question!

• Yeah, because he wouldn't focus as much on the physical aspect of things, like appearance, and probably focus more on the connection. If I like someone, these things don't matter.

• I would. I don't see a problem. It's not like all dates have to be dinner and a movie dates. There are other things to do. Music showcases at local pubs, comedy clubs, etc.. If it doesn't bother the other person, then why should it bother me?

• I think the question here is why people lie that much?

people tend to anwers things that don't matches with the reality...

I bet most of them wouldn't date a blind people when they say they would...

this society hs a lot of hipocrisy...

afff

I woulnt date...

• If we just have a spark, yes.

And I can know he's not shallow.

& if he's helluh hot, he can't see if I'm ugly or not, ahaha.

(:

so I'd just have to go snag him.

;D

• yea actually it would be okay because he wouldn't care if I'm ugly lol

but it would still probably be weird

im in love rite now and if he went blind (knock on wood) I wouldstill be there for him 24/7

• i would date a blind guy if there was chemistry it wouldn't even matter that he couldn't see.

• i don't think I could :( its too much to handle

• You don't like a challenge?

• What like the guilt that you are so self centered, is that too much to handle.

• no we are not self centered, what's wrong with saying no. I wouldn't date a blind person, I would only if I ever go blind. but now I am not so for now no.

• no, because I'm sighted and blind people should date only from their group. I like men with seeing blue eyes. eg: paul walker, brad pitt...they might be uneducated but as long as they can see and have blue eyes and are tall it's great to me. my parents after all agree with me that a blind guy is a burden on someone who has eyesight. as friends it might be OK to get to know a blind person but I would not allow him to enter my life other than on professional affairs, right now there is a blind guy, I think he has no girlfriend because last time we went for a gathering he was alone with a friend of his, a guy of his age maybe or a bit older. the other guys all had girlfriends but he was alone... so know that not many sighted people find blind guys attractive. so my answer is no!

• defidently

you would never know if that's the person you're supposed to be with if you didn't

they would probably be rweally interesting to talk to in my opinoin

• I definitely agree-- they would be so interesting to talk to. I would love to know how they "see" the world. I would also challenge myself to find new ways to describe things using things other than sight. And also, it would challenge me to work on my personality. He wouldn't be able to see my appearance, so all he could judge me on is my personality.

• Ya exactly

• i don't honesly see that happening. its not that I couldn't love a blind person I just think that my pity and feeling sorry for the other person would get int eh way of the relationship

• Why would you pity the person? No one is perfect. Empathy I can understand, but pity is for those that cannot overcome their issues.

• I am the type of person who always feel sorry for others and I don't think I would be able to get over that fact

• yes, absolutely. do yourself a favour and watch this dvd: "At first sight". This is a true story and will give you a lot of insight into the world of the blind. Never try and change anybody, if you feel the other person needs to changed, it's posiible that he or she was not right for you in the first place. Good luck.

• i would treat them like any other person. if we totally clicked I would go for it. depends if we got along

• Blindness does not affect their personality or their gender or anything that would really make or break a relationship. But I am also patient so I don't know if I could if I was impatient...

• why would it make a difference if they can see or can't their a human being just like you and me so yes I would

• I would cause if you click then you will know that tthat person likes you for you and not for ur looks

• if I like him yeahhhhh y not I think they are intersting how he can blind but be a succesful fun person

• no I wouldnt!

• yea

• love is love.

• Actually one of my ex-boyfriends is legally blind. He was such a sweetie! I would do it again if there was some chemistry between us. After all, they are regular people.

• I would. A touch can be a powerful thing. I mean when they touch your face.

• yea if it was someone I liked. having a blind guy as a boyfriend would actually be a plus for me because then they couldn't see how ugly I am.

• Aw. Self esteem goes a long way. I used to think I was ugly and people have told me I'm ugly before. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I know it is a cliche but it is true.

• Nice of you to say :)

• If there is chemistry who cares if they are blind or not.