Would you date/marry a cigarette smoker?

Just interested in the perspective of people regarding a significant other who smokes (particularly if you are not a smoker).

So under the presumption that they have no intention on quitting soon, and smoke a moderate amount (perhaps a few a day but are not chain smokers)...

Would you consider a partner who is a smoker?

• I am NOT a smoker and would date/marry a smoker
  • I am NOT a smoker and would NOT date/marry a smoker
  • I am a smoker and would date/marry a smoker
  • I am a smoker and would NOT date/marry a smoker
Lets be clear. I'm not a smoker at all (well I do indulge in pot once in rare while). I just was asking the question.

for me I wouldn't want to date a smoker, but I also would have a tough time not dating someone one if I felt a really deep connection to them. I would hope they didn't smoke around people who didn't like it and obviously not do things to myself or any potential children at risk. I also hope that they'd consider quiting or at least significantly cutting back. but if they were going to smoke privately here and there I don't think I could just turn away a great relationship because of a bad habit.
...essentially if they were conscious of the fact that they shouldn't endanger other people's health I think I'd like to think that I would be open to a relationship with a smoker

Appreciate all the answers and perspectives. I wouldn't say there are wrong perspective aside from the violent and demeaning. As every person on this earth is worthy of love and respect regardless of how they treat their body

Most Helpful Girl

• Well if they don't plan on stopping than no I wouldn't date them. My health is very important to me and I don't want to breathe in secondhand smoke. However if the guy was willing to stop smoking then I'll give him a chance. I'd even try to help him.

• picked your response because it seems closest to my own feeling. I wouldn't require that a person would quit smoking but I'd hope they'd want to or at least significantly cut back. Love seems hard to find so I'd hate to crush a potential life long relationship simply because of a bad habit (particularly if it didn't negatively affect me)

• I agree that wouldn't want to ruin a potential relationship. I guess it would depend on how the guy made me feel. But I'd still want him stop in the future, I'd hate to have a loved one die of lung cancer.

• i agree if someone is so amazing and so awesome on a much deeper level, I wouldn't reject them just because they smoked. but realize it is a difficult habit. some people may want to quit but they may be stuck with smoking for the next 20 years

What Girls Said 35

• I voted B. I have no interest in a guy who spends his money slowly killing himself. That's not very smart of him at all.

• I don't smoke. But, I am involved in a serious relationship with a smoker.

He is very clean about his smoking and doesn't smoke in the house or in the car.

He only smokes outside. He does plan on quitting one day. But, I don't pressure him.

I hope he does quit, but that is his choice. And, I would still love him and be with him even if he didn't want to quit eventually.

I do plan on marrying him one day =)

Hope that answers your question =)

Of course, it is a slight turn off when you first meet someone. But, it is more inside that counts. You learn to love a person for all their flaws =] Ya know?

• i couldn't agree more. it is dirty habit but smokers aren't necessarily dirty. it may sound paradoxic but there are responsible and irresponsible ways to practice cigarette smoking in terms their effects on others. seems like your boyfriend is in the former group... but then to be fair to others who don't see our way different people have different sensitivity levels towards smoking, the smoke and smell

• I smoke. I hate that I do, because of the smell and the health factors. I wish it was as easy as non-smokers seem to think it is to quit. I smoke outside, away from my kid and other people's kids. I don't like it when people aren't respectful and keep the smoke away from kids.

The girl who is a smoker that wouldn't date or marry a smoker has me a little confused...

• I would never. I hate smoking, think it's disgusting, and not only does it smell bad but if affects my asthma. It's a pointless, expensive habit that is hard to break and can kill you easily. It would be a deal breaker. I wouldn't even consider getting into a relationship with someone who smokes.

• I'd rather lick an ash tray, than kiss a smoker.

• It tasted the same as kissing a non smoker, in my experience.

• As the other commenter said, it doesn't taste any different. There isn't even a hint. And I'm very sensitive to cigarette smoke, being asthmatic and what not.

• No. If I see them smoking I don't get involved. I have only kissed one smoker and it was gross. The kiss was so nasty that I couldn't kiss him again. I couldn't love or marry someone I couldn't kiss. Even when we hugged his scent displeased me :/

He was a year older and his teeth were yellow. I was interested at first because we were gonna be marines together..

• B. never in hell. I don't even want to be in close proximity of a smoker. I don't need anyone to slowly poison me. I want to choose my own slow death drug.

• what if they never smoked around you?

• it's sad because plenty of people have truly redeeming and admirable qualities.

I don't know if the majority of people are good or most are horrible. Perhaps the optimist in me like to think that most are genuinely good but the bad people just draw a lot of attention...I don't know

• I tend to think that everyone has their good and bad sides. That everyone is capable of doing horrible things when pushed. It's just that money seems to be able to bring out the worst in a lot of people.

Cigarette company owners, for example, since our topic is cigarette smoking..

• I already live in a place that has really bad air quality. Why would I shorten my life even more by living for several years with a person who is killing me with second hand smoke?

• Personally, it'd be a deal breaker. I don't want my entire home, all my clothes and hair smelling like smoke. I'm obviously not a smoker, so I wouldn't date or marry a nonsmoker. Just my opinion.

• I thought it would bother me but it doesn't.

Maybe I have love blinkers on at the moment I don't know.

But I even like the smell on him. Weird. It doesn't bother me on his breath either.

He's not a chain smoker, he usually smokes at parties, or sometimes after dinner/sex

On average I'd say 2 a day

I do wish he'd stop just because I care about him and it's not good for him but he said he enjoys it at the moment and he might stop later on, if he feels the need/desire to.

• I don't smoke and I wouldn't really like it if the person I was dating smoker, mostly because they'd be slowly killing themselves; however, if I otherwise am attracted to them it wouldn't be a deal breaker

• I did in the past don't have a problem with it. Just do not smoke around me. My ex never smoked around me. When I'm in love I see past these things. I date who I am comfortable with. I don't want to or hope to forcibly change my boyfriend, change comes from within, it has to be genuine. So if he is a smoker & I don't like smokers then I shouldn't have gotten into a relationship with him in the 1st place. You have to know what is it you want & not settle for anything less.

• Yes. I'm (for the most part) a non smoker and generally don't find it attractive, but if I really like him I wouldn't let his smoking stop me from a relationship.

• Never no, not in a million thousand years. I don't care how attractive you are how hot sexy ripped whatever as soon as I smell it on you I'm going to lose any attraction to you I ever had.

I thought Adam Levine was very sexy until I found out he was a smoker, forget that lost all attraction.

It kills your organs and makes you ugly, and your slowly poisoning yourself.

Why do that to yourself?

You look like an attractive man from the back, but you won't be if you keep smoking and smoking very very unattractive I can't even possibly explain to anyone how nasty I think it is.

And the people who smoke in public around people are just horrible, there are children around! Not saying that is you, you said you aren't a chain smoker and I can respect that.

• no I wouldn't they stink

• Grew up around my grandmother, and she smoked cigarettes a lot. Like 5 packs a week. So yeah, I'm pretty much used to it and am not bother by it. I would prefer the person I date/marry to not be a smoker because of the health dangers. If he does, I really don't care, but he can't smoke in house. The smoke doesn't bother me if I'm near them while they are doing it, but I wouldn't want the smell to linger.

• I would date a smoker but I would not marry one.

By date I mean nothing long term and we are not living together.

• Yes...its their body. Unless they smoke in their house...ew

• No & I don't smoke

• no I don't like dating smokers I tried it once and I'm not to fond of it I take good care of my health I don't smoke and I drink once in awhille but if a guy said he would quit then yes I would date him and do my best to help him therw it

• I can''t count the number of times iv'e know someone who has said ''I'm quitting and never do.'' Willpower they are the one who keeps picking up the habbit, and then play the ''Oh I'm addicted game!'' And never put any effort to quit.

You want to quit something bad enough, you do it.

• yes my brother smokes an he's been smoking for years an he told me that his body is so used to it that he will like go crazy get sick to his stomach if he went like one or 2 days without one

• if he has health insurance I know a lot of companies will actually pay for a very effective pill that helps. It works by affecting whatever brain synapses that trigger the need for nicotine. A guy in my office smoked for 25 years and was able to quit in a matter of months. He said it is very effective and one of the ways it works is that when you smoke (while on the meds) it actually can make you physically ill

• if he has the personality

• Tried dating a smoker, and every 10-15 minutes he'd go off to smoke his precious cigarettes. It got old, fast.

• No, I find the smoke to be unbearable. The smell even sticks around for a few hours. Extremely unattractive and instant deal breaker.

• i agree here that the lingering stale smell is the worst part (aside from the long term health risks). I don't mind seeing people smoke or even teh smell of a burning cigarette. But the stale smell that sticks around for hours and days is pretty gross

• A. only my mum and I don't smoke in my family so I am fine with dating/marrying a smoker.

• Yes if I really liked them plus I smoke too so I don't care.

• No. I'm watching my dad die more and more each day. His coughing due to cigarettes have increased a lot over the past few years, and I'm very scared that he'll take his last breath soon due to his poor health (which is mainly caused by heavy smoking, he used to be a very healthy athlete). I wouldn't be able to watch my boyfriend/husband go down the same road as my father. It would be too painful.

• I'm not a smoker, but would date and even marry him even if he is a smoker. But I rather he didn't, that would be my heart going over my head.

• No way! This is because for 18 years I have had to live with my parents where my dad smoked. I asked him many, many times, very kindly if he could at least smoke on the balcony that we had! He would say yes then get too lazy to walk a few steps out there or even go out there in the cold. I have had deteriorating health ever since, asthma and have gone to school being asked if I smoke because my clothes were heavily soiled.

• if I really like the guy so badly then ya possibly lol

• I'm a smoker and idc

• More from Girls
    5

What Guys Said 20

• B.

I used to smoke the best cigarettes made in the world but don't have that family gene that protects against cancer & kills early (before age 60) so considering higher taxes/costs as well, quit when kids were little.

Whereas, I might stand closer to a smoker of fine tobacco today to enjoy 2nd hand fine smoke, I wouldn't date or marry one for reasons stated, as they apply to me & them.

• Eh probably not... I get very sick from the smell of cigarettes. I also feel like the smoke is slowly killing me and I value my life too much. If I really cared about a girl enough I would probably make an exception but I would try to get her to quit.

• Probably not. For one thing, I have a childhood history of asthma, and while it hasn't bothered me in years, I don't know if I'd want to take a chance on long term smoke exposure causing a recurrence.

Second, I've personally known 3 people who have died young from lung cancer. After witnessing what they went through, I don't know if I'd want to go through something like that again and witness a wife dying like that.

• off the top of my head I picked B but I'm sure if I met the right girl I might be able to look past the fact she's a smoker.

• Yes, but I'd wish they'd quit. Not because I want to annoy them with health warnings and such, but because I'd really care. It's not a deal breaker however.

• I voted B because I don't smoke socially at partiesanymore, and I presume the term "smoker" in this question means someone who smokes on a daily basis, which I believe will turn me off in a female.

• As a smoker myself, it would be hypocritical to deny someone who indulges in the very same habit... I never smoke indoors though, and not very often either (2-3 cigs a day)...

and I can't believe how people are so vehemently opposed to it... How smokers are dismissed as insensitive to others, etc... don't any of you remember the South Park episode with Rob Reiner?...

Neither of my parents ever smoked, but neither one of them ever complained about me smoking either - they let me live my life.

I mean - we can sit back and watch people stuff their faces with all kinds of junk food, and that never raises an eyebrow...

• I couldn't date a cigarette smoker. The smoke and smell gives me headaches/runny nose, and generally makes me feel lousy until I leave the area and get some fresh air.

• NEVER! Not if she was the last female on earth and the entire human species depended on me.

• I appreciate your conviction but I doubt you would reject the only available woman on earth because she was a smoker. Your evolutionary fitness would kick in and she'd be irresistible

• just put it in a jar and leave it on her front porch? haha, that would be funny. a new turn on the idea of the "milkman"

• HAHAHAHAHA Milkman that is gold lmfao! Ring ring hello '' Special delivery!''

• I don't smoke. I used to. I don't mind if someone smokes around me.

I'd date a smoker, but I would want them to quit before I'd marry them, for health reasons.

• No I don't think so

• No I wouldn't

• Non smoker and won't date a smoker. I don't know why anyone would smoke it baffles me.

• do you know why people eat red meat (which leads to high cholesterol)? sun tan (biggest cause of cancer)? drive over the speed limit or text and drive (which exponentially increase risks for accidents)? drink alcohol? consume caffeine (substance most people in the world are addicted to)?

why people do thinks that are potentially dangerous are simple. the benefits in their mind outweigh the negatives ... just saying it shouldn't baffle you why people do things that are dangerous

• Well I guess it doesn't baffle me I know why, like you say the benefits in their mind outweigh the negatives. But for some things smoking just one among them, I don't see any real benefits.

Personally I try and avoid bad risky decisions that have little or no benefit and generally like my women the same in that regard.

• Smoke voices are heck up nasty man. I have no problem with smoking itself but in the long run, no way.

• If I said no, I'd be pretty hypocritical being that I smoke

• eww.. never.

• I am a smoker, and I would not date a smoker. It's a habit I am going to quit when I'm ready to date.

For me, smoking is almost a symbol of my bachelorhood. It relaxes me, it's solitary, it repels the women...what's not to like (psychologically, lol)?

• lol great answer!

• what if you two decided you wanted to quit together? do you feel as though you will be able to easily quit once you're ready to date?

• Yeah, the main reason I'm putting off dating is because of some personal issues and the smoking is a way to deal with those. Once they're taken care of, I will do a normal nicotine withdrawal, get the quitting over with and then start meeting people. I would not want to do the quitting process with someone

• Everyone has some type of vise so I am not going to be a hypocrite and talk about them enjoying something that is bad for them. However their are other reasons I would not consider it. I am asthmatic so cigarette smoke is very troubling to my health. I also don't want to smell bad from their cigarette smoke. The worst part is kissing a smoker is as much fun as licking an ashtray. It is just gross.

• I don't smoke and I would never date/marry a smoker. There are just so many reasons why it's a bad idea.

• Nothing is more disgustingly nasty as a f***ing cigarette smoker, we should just ban them from society I wanna go up and beat the sh*t out of those f***ed up people who smoke in public and hang out in front of stores like they think they are cool poisoning little kids walking but go kill yourself smokers!

• go for presidency, I'll vote for you lol

• "Get ignored little girl, don't bother responding smart ass."

you can't call someone ignorant and then resort to mysogyny (pot meet the black kettle). we all have triggers and clearly smoking is one for you; however, I think it's important to always ALWAYS be respectful and distance ourselves just enough from any issue so we try and listen, understand, and the reply appropriately