Would you date a high school drop out?

Do you think it is shallow for a woman or man to say they would not date a high school drop out? Why?

NOTE: I'm talking about everyday, average guys and girls. Steve Jobs are one in a million, though he was a college dropout. Few people are as innovative and creative as him.

Most Helpful Girl

• There are thousands of high school drop outs every year. How many of them can you honestly think of that made it huge. I'm going to say probably you could name 6 tops. It's not shallow that you live in a world where you can't even be a garbage man without a high school education. Dropping out of high school these days basically means you'll be stuck working at McDonalds the rest of your life. It's hard enough to get a job with a college education but our society is now built that we need education before you dropped out of school to help your family take care of a farm, go into construction. That's not how it is anymore. It's shallow it's making sure your life is everything you want it to be

What Guys Said 15

• Really depends on what they're doing with their life. If they're working and trying to do something and it simply doesn't involve school that's fine with me.

I will worry about some things I typically would associate with a drop out though like if they're a drinker, smoker, involved with drugs, and so on. But if they're generally a good person and simply don't wish to have their life dictated by our corrupt education system I think it's fine. Look at how many people have high end degrees and are still jobless sitting at home playing video games in their parents' basement.

• Yeah, I don't think overall intelligence is rated by high school tests... I knew people who could study for tests, but they weren't overly bright if you asked them anything outside of school terms.

• Perhaps.

To be honest I don't know any. But I'd be prepared to consider it.

Is it shallow to say they wouldn't? I don't think so. But my threshold for calling someone 'shallow' is pretty high. Having requirements to me doesn't make someone shallow. Having -only one- requirement and ignoring the rest makes someone shallow.

• Sure I would, assuming you don't mean some that's currently in HS lol.

A HS diploma doesn't really prove anything. It means you showed up and occasionally did some work. Look, graduating from HS isn't like getting an engineering degree or something. A diploma has no bearing on how intelligent you are, at least not anymore.

Fact is, most us know successful HS drop outs. It just so embarrassing for some to admit it, know one ever knows who they are. Think about it...when was the last time you asked to see someones diploma to verify they did graduate?

Few likely reasons you never finished HS.

-Broken home, basically you came from a really f***ed up childhood. Or parents were never involved.

-you got into some serious drug use(relates to above).

-you never showed up, ever.

-got pregnant and had to raise your kid alone.

Yeah, kinda shallow I guess. It seems like the wrong thing to focus on.

• Unless there was some family emergency or other reason like that for their drop out, and they aren't pursuing to go back or get a GED, than no.

High school is extremely easy. All you have to do is sit and breathe to pass, even if you fail you just retake a watered down version of the course over the summer and proceed. If a girl can't handle high school, how is she going to handle a relationship, kids, or life. I would have to babysit her. I have high goals, a bachelors and a masters in engineering. While I don't care if a girl goes to college or not, she should at least have a high school diploma.

Also, while I realize Steve Jobs had much success without advanced education, he is a diamond in the ruff. Most high school dropouts are lazy and aren't innovative, creative, intelligent or useful at all. Trust me, I've seen it happen all the time at my school. The low-lives just drop out and smoke pot all day.

Maybe I'm being extremely cynical or shallow, but this is my take on things.

• I wouldn't not date someone for only that reason. If that's the only reason a person chooses to not date someone, I'd say by definition they would be acting shallow. It seems like women tend to be more concerned with a guys education, and even his earning power though.

• It's very unlikely, but assuming she has a good job and there were some kind of extenuating circumstances, then yeah I could.

• Nope... not a chance.

• If they are going to get there GED

• I would not date a high school dropout...she's underage and I don't want jail time.

• no

no point

• I would be open to it

• My father dropped out of HS, busted his ass trying to help his family with the bills. Sure it was a different time back then. He opened his own business in the 80s and retired EARLY within 12 years. The business still operates, he just signs the checks now. 72 years old and still mentally with it, has been retired since 1992 and still banks 500K per year - when he was working he was making triple that per year. To think he couldn't speak a lick of English when he got to America and had no money to speak of. America really is a land of opportunity but there is so much prejudice on education or even criminal background instead of getting to know the person. Some of the best people doing the job never had formal (book) education or incomplete.

• In the 80's? It's 2013. Not many high school drop outs have the opportunities people did back in the day

• Sure, assuming they are fairly intelligent and dropped out because they hated school for other reasons, and assuming that I had a job good enough to support both of us should the relationships progress towards marriage.

• I know a lot of people who dropped out & are now running their own businesses & doing very well. A lot better then even some Uni grads. It all depends on how motivated a person is. Some people just have a natural talent for certain things & will make use of it. I also know some College grads who can barely tie their own shoes w/o getting their finger stuck or still spell their name wrong on the welfare stub.

Every case is different & if someone won't date a person solely because they don't have a diploma then that person is far better off w/o the diploma holding righteous prick.

Just my opinion.

What Girls Said 7

• No, because that'd mean he can't relate to my personal ambitions and past experiences. When you've graduated university, you've dedicated your life and sweat to something you CHOSE full-time for YEARS. It's molded you into someone with baggage, yes educational baggage. It's valuable, if not priceless life experience to me. Just like I've read someone on here complaining that he wouldn't date a girl unless she was a virgin like him because she needs to have the same ''life experience'' as his, I wouldn't date a guy that hasn't put up with as much sh*t as I have due to my crazy-ass career path. IMO, students are true warriors in certain fields and it's something I NEED my partner in life to be able to relate to. I think that most people that take the Steve Jobs example to justify their lack of education are pretentious and don't know any better. I've read the Malcolm Gladwell ''Outliers'' novel and it's taken a stand regarding this very example. The author states that success in life is conditional to a so-called ''10 000 hour rule''. He claims that to be truly great if not AMAZING at something, one must have dedicated at least 10 000 hours to this thing. He took Steve Jobs and Bill Gates as examples and proved that these people have INDEED dedicated over 10 000 hours at their craft. It wasn't at school necessarily, but they're put in the time and energy nonetheless.

These days, when someone says "Yeah but Steve Jobs made it and he didn't go to school", I cringe really hard because I think to myself "How arrogant and pathetic are you to believe that you'll get that far when you don't even realize why he performed so well and why his path worked. Are you putting in thousands of hours at something despite not studying anything, as he did? No, you're not, so don't expect to magically succeed at something". It's very cringe-worthy to realize that so many people with low education think of themselves as being ''special'' and not expected to dedicate the same time and efforts to succeed as the people that actually DO study.

• It depends.

If the person was on the way to getting their life back together, then yes I would date them.

Life isn't about the choices that we make,

It's about the recovery that we after it.

If they could care less about improving their lifestyle or education, then I would not be interested.

It isn't shallow to have standards.

We live in a world where education, money is needed for survival.

I want to live a comfortable life, and there is nothing wrong with that.

• He would have to be someone pretty special if I liked him and he didn't complete high school. I usually prefer more educated guys, I know intelligence is a wide spectrum but a guy doesn't necessarily have to be super good at maths, guys who are good at music and craftsmanship are smart too. The chances of me dating a high school drop out are pretty low.

• No f way. Unless you're a high school dropout yourself. I left my boyfriend of 7 years because we didn't have the same ambitions in life. It's not necessarily about that he's a dropout, you just have to be on the same page as him.

• Not a chance. If I was attracted to him, I might have a fling with him but I would not invest too much time or feelings into someone who I feel is going nowhere in life. Even someone who graduates high school but does not have any desire to further persue their education is someone I wouldn't want to get too involved with.

• Maybe. I wouldn't disqualify someone because he's a high school drop-out, but he'd have to be relatively intelligent, keep a decent job, be a good guy, etc. as I'd want of anyone else. I think it may be shallow if you're very focused on the diploma and nothing else matters.

• I don't think it's shallow at all.

I personally would only date a high school drop out if they were planning on getting their GED.