Reading- It's A Great Thing!

Reading- It's A Great Thing!

Now, if you're like me you LOVE to read. And if you don't, here's a little myTake to get you inspired to crack a few more books this summer.

One thing that reading can do is let you escape off to an alternate world where anything is possible. From fighting dragons, to battling in space, to having a tragic love story. Reading can take you on an adventure like no other. The thought that anything can happen between two covers is just amazing. It's great on a rainy day with nothing else to do. The adventures the characters can go on are mind blowing, and make you feel like you're there witnessing the adventure yourself.

Another thing reading does is boost your imagination and creativity. Of course it depends on what you read. It makes you think, what if? And it gives you a different perspective on the world. I've heard several times before that readers tend to daydream and have their head in the clouds more often. I find this true, for me anyways. Readers tend to see things in reality differently than others. They have that ability to think that nothing is impossible, and tend to be more "out-of-the-box" thinkers.

Readers also make great writers. Of course every writer is a reader but not every reader is a writer. Since they read so much they tend to understand the rules of grammar better than non-readers. They also know what it takes to get a reader's attention and keep them interested.

Reading opens your mind. This is kinda back to the point above, but readers tend to be more open-minded to new ideas. They are less likely to turn down new ideas. Of course, this doesn't apply to everyone, because even I can say this isn't quite as true for me.

My next point is- reading expands vocabulary. This is a pretty obvious one, but still a good thing. Expanding vocabulary can make you sound more sophisticated and just improve simple things in your life altogether, like not sounding dumb in a random conversation you may have someday, or just sounding smarter than your friends!

Many studies have also shown that reading increases memory and mental stimulation. It's been shown that reading can reduce and even prevent many brain diseases. It actually nourishes the brain in a healthy way!

My next reason is simply just knowledge. Reading gives you tons of knowledge on new subjects you may or may not have known, so you get smarter just by reading! And the more you know, the better!

Another reason why reading is good is because studies have shown that it reduces stress.

This isn't quite a solid thing, of course, but in general reading can be a very calming, serene way to entertain yourself with a good story.

Reading is basically a movie inside your mind, which is awesome! It provides easy entertainment, and for a low cost! Forget movies, (They tend to leave out all the good parts anyways), reading is fun, too!

Reading is an amazing thing, but the most important part is picking a good book you want to read that sounds interesting. If you don't like romance, don't pick a romantic book. You can visit your local library or a bookstore in your town. It doesn't matter what book you're reading, as long as it's something you enjoy :)

As always, I hope you enjoy!

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 6

• Show us the studies

• Reading is totally awsome !!

I mean as a person who is a dislexic I found it a tad hard with spelling and such in shcool and after I started reading it help me out a lot, of course i still have some mistakes with my English and grammar but it has helped me out so much with both that and my learning in many things overall and as a result I have also become more articulate with my volcabulary while speaking to people. : )

Yay for reading ! :D

• I enjoy reading so one day I will buy more quality books in the store.

• I love the smell of books. I haven't been able to read a good novel in awhile because of my classes.

• I have bad reading habits (sounded reading without eyes) how can i destroy it?

• By "sounded reading without eyes" what exactly do you mean?

• 15 days 200 pages 30 days 400 pages. I dont want reason. I want 'how'

• there's really no "how" except for practice. I don't know what to tell you. And if by "15 days 200 pages" you mean that's how long it takes you then that's not bad at all.

• Thank you. I needed this.

What Girls Said 12

• Great Take. I love reading and writing. I can't wait til people are reading my books!

• Wonderful myTake! Some people here probably have figured out that I love reading since I post a lot of book-topics, and in a lot of my opinions, I suggest reading and reading material for people to dig in to. So I agree with you and I'm glad that you wrote this to remind people how refreshing and healthy reading actually is! :)

By the way...
    What ARE you reading right now? :)

• Haha thank you :) and I'm currently reading two books- The Kill Order by James Dashner (the fourth book in the Maze Runner series) and The Eye of Minds by James Dashner.

• Aw, I love reading! :)

• I agree with all the points but be careful with what you read. I mean, have a mind of your own too.

• STORY TIME!!!
    when i was a kid i loved reading and when i got older i stopped being open about my love of reading and stopped reading all together to fit in. In my senior year of high school my English teacher assigned my class an assignment to find a very broad topic i picked technology and when she said we had to find a book on that topic i could not find a book at the library at my school so she said to go to the county library (and i did find a book) but when i was at the library something amazing happened i remembered how much i loved to read and how important it is to not care what people think and intelligence is a valuable asset to have. i should send her a thank you card. its not too late i am only a freshman in college

• Nice take! These are the reasons why I love reading.
    It's an enriching experience in many ways.

• Oh I love reading and I know what you mean - another world - try Sherrilyn Kenyon (awesome books), Kresley Cole, Stephen R Lawhead

• Finally a take about reading! It's an awesome thing. And well done!

• Red Tent, Poisonwood Bible, The Art of Racing in the Rain, The Room, The Road, Angela's Ashes, Sarah's Key, Night, All the Fifty Shades of Gray, Jodi Piccolt, Steven King, Margaret Atwood, The Shopaholic Series. I better stop typing now and read!

• I love books :). My favorite is The Book Thief!

• Love reading but at the end of the last school year I never had time to it. Hopefully this school year I will be able to read more.

• I love reading books.. especially science books , it's like my life