Anyone Into Anime Should Watch Akira (As An Initiation)

In the beginning, anime was horrible. Animators were infamous for cutting corners and not animating complex bodily movements and motions, including facial expressions, and using plain colors. Couple that with sh***y voice acting, and you have a bland and unenjoyable anime experience.

1988, Akira moves from the pages of a graphic novel to the silver screen. This piqued the curiosity of many, which proved beneficial to the popularity of anime in the west. The movie was like an acid trip without the acid. The film used a wide variety of vibrant colors, vivid facial expressions, and bodily movements, and the voice acting was outstanding for anime, at that time. To give you a good visual: every time you watch Akira, your TV blasts you in the face with a laser made of rainbows. When it's over, your face is covered in carbon residue and your hair is standing on end. You enjoyed the rush so much, you decide that you want to watch it again. You watch it again and get another rainbow laser to the face. You do this over and over until your hair is gone and you have second degree burns all over your face. That's what it's like.

So, those who claim to like anime, WATCH. THIS. MOVIE. NOW!!!!

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 0

Share the first opinion in your gender

What Guys Said 6

• This movie ranks no. 1 on my MyTake of top 10 anime movies ever.

• I love anime and this is probably the first anime movie I have ever seen. I was blown away by the experience. To my surprise I heard that this movie was not so successful in Japan. But it's the one that truly brought Anime to the Western World.

I agree that old school anime is not to today's standards but they are also good.
    I recommend you to watch the original series of Space Battleship Yamato, Gatchaman and Captain Harlock. All from the 70's.

• I watch anime. I am 40. I often get. "You are 40 and you watch anime?" Akira came out when I was 13. Why the hell would I suddenly stop liking it? Like what age is the Akira cut off? lol

• Indeed. The graphics of Akira were definitely miles beyond anything of that time. Well, everything about it was. Although, I might say you're using a little too much hyperbole. Akira wasn't *that* good. Not after having already seen a lot of badass anime. It's sorta like saying The Wizard of Oz was the best movie ever made. It was way ahead of its time, but it's still pretty shitty when contrasted with modern movies. It's a classic, but it's only majorly appreciated *because it's a classic*. Only difference is Akira has a really good story line. Only reason you appreciate the graphics is if you're aware of how shitty they were back then.

Also, having taken LSD before, Akira is nothing like LSD, whatsoever. But metaphor accepted. Somewhat.

I'm rewatching Magi right now. It's actually pretty damn good. Couple of deep concepts in there. Not bad. I was surprised. Though. Death Note (whisper:minussecondseason). Code Geass <--- best anime of all time. Shippuden <----best anime of all time. Most recently One-Punch Man (brilliant). Attack on Titan <---potentially best anime of all time. No Game No Life, controversially. Can't compare 'em to Akira, in my opinion. Maybe Darker Than Black. Mnemosyne. Elfen Lied. etc. etc. Modern anime might have a lot of shitty stuff, but there are gems that shine a lot brighter than they used to, in my opinion.

• Akira is fucking awessome. I remember tripping out to this at like 10 years old.

• I actually like older anime. I think a lot of anime today is total garbage and I just can't get into it. My favorite stuff is all from the 80s and 90s there was some great voice acting back then.(Bryan Cranston did voice acting for an anime OVA back in the 90s) I love Akira. They should also watch a bunch of the Miyazaki films.