Culturally And Visually Realistic Movies Based In The American South

My list of some of the most culturally and visually realistic movies based in the American South that I have ever seen.

A lot of the movies based here make me cringe, with the unrealistic and sometimes hateful potrayals. But these got it as right as you could, and they were fair even when the subject matter was harsh.

1. Winter's Bone (2010)

My list of some of the most culturally and visually realistic movies based in the American South.

Great story about one determined girl who just won't stop till she finds out what she wants to know, Also Brutally realistic and beautifully shot. And Teardrop is one of the greatest characters ever!

2. Joe (2013)

Very unflinching look at the desperation and violence of a severe white trash existence. Very depressing movie, but a somewhat happy ending.

3. Black Snake Moan (2006)

Most realistic movie ever about chaining a white woman to your radiator. Great depiction of the Delta.

4. A Love Song For Bobby Long (2004)

A very underrated movie, and a very realistic character study.

5. Southern Belles (2005)

Southern Belles done right <3

6. The Apostle (1997)

Hard to get more realistic then this.

7. Sling Blade (1996)

Coz its Sling Blade.

8. The Last Picture Show (1971)

Just a great movie all around!

Zombie-Killa is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 1

• The only one that I've seen in this list was Winter's Bone, and goddamn was that a depressing movie. I'm glad I'm not a dirt poor American.

What Guys Said 2

• you forgot 'forrest gump' :P

• Forest Gump was an amazing movie, and did a great job of showcasing America and some key points in history. But the chracters and setting in the fake town he was from seemed kinda off to me lol

• Being an Indian, I was not able to distinguish between different American accents. They all sounded the same to me. But thanks to forrest gump, I can clearly distinguish between the southern and northern accents. So that's something I'll never forget. The same goes for "braveheart" , which helped my mind register the "scottish" accent. It all sounded the same to me before :P

• Yeah it was an extremely accurate movie, just had a whisical sorta storybook feel to it lol

• The Apostle was FANTASTIC!!!