Why Pro Wrestling is No Longer the Popular Juggernaut it Once Was

In the 1980s Professional Wrestling was becoming a mainstream juggernaut on television all over the world. Wrestlers such as:Hulk Hogan, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Andre the giant, Ric Flair, and many others captivated audiences of children and adults alike. The WWF (now WWE) was growing nationally as was it's competition the NWA (later WCW). But as the 90's entered, new styles and faces would appear. Wrestlers such as: Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Undertaker, Sting, Bret Hart, and Shawn Michaels would put a edgier more adult face on wrestling.

This new attitude in the sport would bring more foul language, sexual innuendo, and even more brutal matches than ever thought possible. I mean imagine being bodyslammed on a bed of thumbtacks or a board wrapped with barbed wire. Being thrown off a 20 foot high steel cell with only a wooden table to break your fall. That was the 90s in a nutshell. But in the past few years the world of professional wrestling has gone downhill. It no longer has the look or the edge it once had. The popularity has winded down significantly. Here are just a couple reasons why

A lot more people know it's scripted.

Although this has been a fact for several years. The promotions and even the wrestlers themselves have admitted it's mostly all fake and scripted. The matches are pre-determined by backstage bookers, the title reigns are all determined and extended or cut short determined by how popular the wrestler is. Nowadays spoilers and information are all accessible via the internet. So the fans can know beforehand how everything will work out. So yes it is fake for the most part. But most of the injuries and hits are real.

Stale characters and talent (or lack thereof)

Back in the day the character of the wrestler was what got them over with fans. Wrestling zombies, policemen, beer drinking rednecks who regularly told their boss to stick it, and even sick demented crazy SOB's once made wrestling a enjoyable product to watch. But now with Wrestlers such as John Cena who have kept the same character over many years and never portrayed a bad guy since have caused fans to regularly boo him just because of the fact the fans are tired of the staleness. It's all a political showcase too. Its all based on who kisses the higher ups in the companies asses. That means even a shitty athlete who has a limited moveset if they brown nose can get better opportunities than some one who truly deserves it. There is a lot of nepotism in the business as well. The Rock's realitives in the business are currently getting opportunity themselves because of his name and status.

Too many deaths and drug scandals.

In 2005 a very popular wrestler by the name of Eddie Gurrero passed away in his hotel room from a heart attack linked to steroids. In 2007 Chris Benoit killed his own wife,son, and himself after years of head trauma and steroids abuse. Many wrestlers die under age forty and majority due to drug and steroids abuse. Vince McMahon faced trial in front of a federal court in the 1990s after it was discovered he allegedly supplied wrestlers with steroids. Especially his top draw Hulk Hogan. He later was acquitted of all charges. It's sad a entertainment organizations name has to be tarnished by the publicity of its athletes and performers using drugs. Even though the NFL, MLB, abd NBA have its fair share,the WWE has had more deaths from drug and steroids abuse than any other sport.

Yes, it once was a popular sport. But: controversy, lack of talent, and secrets leaking out are killing a once popular television past time for many Americans.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 2

• I remember Trish Stratus and Lita when I was a girl and loved watching them! Today's stars aren't as talented on the mic or in the ring, it's sad.

• A couple are very talented, but they never get anywhere

• It doesn't. I like the old WCW and Attitude Era WWF till. about 2007

• I agree with you

• It's not worth the time anymore, I use to watch it in childhood too, me and my siblings were literally crazy about it but now I just think it like boring fake reality show. :/

What Guys Said 7

• I can tell you right now, its the neckbeard, wanna be sjw, white knight aholes who latched on because of daniel bryan and his lame ass beard. The smarks have killed it.

• Simple answer: PG ERA!

• I do agree there. I do like some of the newer guys like Dean Ambrose, Rollins, Finn Balor, Cesaro, AJ Styles, and even I even like Brock Lesnar to a degree

• Roman is just using his heritage and relation to The Rock to make it

• I'd say it being fake was the single biggest cause of it's decline. With the spread of the internet in the 1990's it was obvious to anyone that wasn't blind or retarded. But in the 2010's TV in general is on the decline. Soap opera's are also a big casualty, getting canceled left and right after 20-50 years on the air. Mainly due to TV no longer being the only thing to watch in addition to almost no new younger viewers watching (audiences shrinking as they die off).

• If it wasn't for all the internet dirt sheets it might still have some legitimacy

• Its just as popular now then it was. I grew up during the Attitude era the best time in my opinion and let's not forget the back and forth the WWE and WCW had especially during the so called Monday night wars. I'm still an avid watcher and I still find it entering now just as I did then.

• Yep its so shit now. i used to watch it all the time now it's just crap. They even push their agendas down people's throats.

• What do you mean pushing agendas

• I do have to admit the new Divas they have now are better than what they had like five years ago

• Yep but i dont like them shoving their agendas down peoples throats

• 1) wwe reuses the same scripts and try and react it. Gold dust and rTruth is the same as booker t and gold dust. 2) trying to bring back old guys instead of working on the new guys.3) feuds last way to long after the 1st feud sold like hot cakes.4) they over do it with popular stars. Showing there faces every day. Like John cena, new day, shield. 5) creat hype but suck at execution. Like undertaker vs Shane. Story was interesting but they failed. 6) characters don't suck, wwe characters need to be like cm punk. Be real and not follow the script. This goes back when dx vs Mchitler, hogan vs russo, and cm punk vs triple h. Not following the script entirely but you knew some realism was in it. 7) fake crowd pops and edited signs. 8) to long and too boring.
    9) lastly wwe needs to care about what the fans want. Bonus 10) no more PG ERA.

• I can relate! I used to be interested in wrestling during my childhood, and also had those Trump Cards.

Now, I don't even know the current crop of wrestlers.

• They pretty much suck anymore

• Yeah, I figured they must suck, since no one seems to give a hoot about WWE anymore!

• It even isn't that hardcore any more