6 Movies that Never Fail to Make Me Cry

I'm sensitive, emotional, and most of all, I'm an easy crier. Tears just flow and there's not much I can do about it, especially in movies. Here's a select few that really have an impact on me. (I promise there's no The Notebook or The Fault in Our Stars though!) Also, there are a few spoiler alerts, so beware :P

Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump is probably one of the most beloved movies of the last 20 years. I think any attempt at a plot summary wouldn't do it justice, and I hope most of you have seen it.

It's one of the most powerful movies I've ever seen, and the scene that hits me the most *spoiler alert* is Forrest's monologue at Jenny's grave. Here's the clip:

Marley & Me

A coming-of-age comedy-drama, this movie follows the life of Marley (Marley is the dog btw) and her impact on a newlywed couple, and eventually their growing family.

*spoiler alert* Marley lives a long and happy life, but the film ends with her being euthanized due to illness with the family paying their respects to their beloved dog. I had a little cry at the end, and I couldn't stop thinking of what would happen if I lost my dog, but overall it's a great film.

Up

Up is probably one of my favourite Disney movies to date. It's a touching story about a widowed 78-year-old balloon salesman called Carl, fulfilling a lifelong dream. Things don't go to plan when a little boy gets in the way, but they work out their differences and the film shows the development of their friendship.

The movie isn't sad overall, however there's one scene that shows Carl as a young man and his life with his wife before she passed. I've lost all my grandparents, so the part when she passes away as an old lady really hits home. You can see the clip here.

My Dog Skip

This movie is set in the 1940's, and is told through an adult Willie, looking back on how his dog lead him through the best parts of his life; his boyhood days.

*spoiler alert* When Willie leaves to go to University, Skip remains with Willie's parents, sleeping in Willie's old room, and finally dies, being buried under the elm tree. I remember watching this as a child, and it was the first movie to make me cry. It was the bullying scenes and Skip passing away that really choked me up. There's just something about me and dogs, okay?

The Help

The Help is set in a small town in Mississippi in the 60's, and deals with the appalling racism that black people suffered through. A young writer (Emma Stone) returns from college and decides enough is enough. She decides to interview the black women who work as maids who have spent their lives taking care of prominent white families. At first, only one maid will talk, but as it goes on, more women decide to come forward, and as it turns out, they have quite a lot to say.

There isn't one notable scene in this movie that makes me upset, there are several. While it doesn't have the same 'bawl my eyes out effect' as the other films do, it certainly makes me think. However, it's a great film and it's got some brilliant actors, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Life is Beautiful

This is a timeless classic, that certainly tops the list for me. The first part of the movie follows a Jewish Italian man called Guido who comically tries to woo over this woman, Dora, that turns out to be his wife. Later during World War II, Guido, his wife and his young child and his uncle are seized and taken to a concentration camp. There is still a comical element kept, well, as comical as you can get in a concentration camp. It follows Guido and his family and the sacrifices he makes to ensure his family is kept alive and safe.

I think I pretty much bawled my eyes out from the time they were taken to camp. But, it does end on a more uplifting note, and I cannot speak highly enough of this movie.

Anyways, hope you enjoyed and that this didn't make you feel too sad! (It's probably not a good idea to watch all of these in a row either).

Gaggers, I'd like to know from you all, what movie really has left an impact on you?

Luci92 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 27

• marley and me definitely tugged on the heart strings

The green mile made me cry and the movie ghosts spoiler when patrick swayze is going to heaven damn i did shed a tear.

The scene at the end of the movie Armageddon when Bruce Willis is talking to his daughter always chokes me up a bit. It's because it reminds me of my dad and grandad.

The ending of Lionheart/Wrong bet always gives me watery eyes, "My girl" is also another one that gave me watery eyes. I usually don't watch sad movies because I'm a very emotional person🙂.

Does Kazaam make you cry?

• What do you think about Titanic?

• The Shawshank redemption! And Saving Private Ryanhit in the feels

• Great take

• Up movie - I wanna grow old with you!.. That song made me cry

• The notebook and a walk to remember will definitely make you cry trust me very sad movies. Also bicentennial Man was another sad movie. The movies you choose were sad and emotional in their own way.

• I'll check them out :)
      Bicentennial Man I've seen, and that was sad too.

• Will do :)

• Ok sounds good.😀

• One that always gets me is Braveheart, not just because what happened to william but also because scotland runs deep in my blood, oh and another is raise your voice, when she looses her brother and seeing hil break down and cry breaks my heart, even when its just acting lol oh and the green mile

• I've watched Forrest Gump and it made me cry too. But the movie that made me burst in tears like I never did before was The Green Mile. An incredibly sad and beautiful movie.

Interstellar also has very emotional parts that always gets me. I highly recommend both!

• I watched Forest Gump a lot of times, its a cool movie ;) I dont have any idea about other ones.

• I never cried from movies but My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and My Little Pony: Equestria Girls were very deep touching me like oh... so deep :o ♥ Right in the feels. I felt impacted!

• I don't normally get emotional about films, but I really did feel a little tension in my heart at the end of "Lengua de las Mariposas" (it's a Spanish film, the title means "The Butterfly's Tongue"). It's a film about the relationship between a shy young boy and the kindly old school teacher (who supports the republic) who teaches him and his classmates so much. The film is set in Galicia during the Spanish Civil War. The title only really becomes meaningful in the last scene.

• Request for title change.

Five Movies that are Complete Emotionally Based Garbage and Up.

• ooo this is a fun take!

You should watch Hachi, it's a true story and seriously good.

ia.media-imdb.com/.../...bWU3MDE0NTgxMTM@._V1_.jpg

• Thanks :)
      Oh yeah, I've seen it, really beautiful but sad too :(

• I'll watch Forest Gump tomorrow
    Marley & Me and My Dog Skip seems interesting. I love dogs.

• Forrest Gump and UP... still cry... makes me want to get up and go find MY SPECIAL GIRL. Nothing beats love

Thanks for the mytake

and life is beautiful... was epic... i was so internally destroyed when they shot the father...

and LIFE is certainly beautiful... i'm getting off the computer to find my girl and live my life... bon voyage Gag

• On this movie list, all I've seen is Forrest Gump and Up. Both of these really were amazing movies.

I'd add Secret (2007) to this list too. It's not very popular, but being a piano player, I really feel a connection to it.

• More from Guys
    7

What Girls Said 19

• I <3 UP the most

• King of Kings, @Luci92... The true Story of Jesus Christ, Our Savior and How He Died on the Cross for Our sins. There has never been any Jesus Movie that Can even Come Close to this One.
    Every holiday this Fabulous Jeffery Hunter movie is Aired on TV, and Every time, I cry a River of Tears here, dear.
    Good luck and Great Tear Jerkers. xx

I don't cry at many films, but put Fitz and Simmons from S. H. I. E. L. D on my screen and I literally well up like a big girl. I don't even like Simmons! I have no rational explanation for this reaction, they just make me blub.

Marley and me.. oh man it did make me cry.

Great my take :) So true My Dog Skip is a tear jerker. I loove Forest Gump, the whole jenny story side makes me wanna cry but the movie overall makes me happy to watch over & over again. :) The notebook definitely makes cry everytime & the titanic. Pearl Harbor is another good movie too that can make some tears form.

• Mulan. She sacrificed herself for her father, and she thought no one would even appreciate what she did.

• Ghost, The Notebook, A walk to Remember, Armageddon, Frequency, Castaway

• I cry to most films tbh. I can be overly emotional at certain times of the month lol.

• Reading this actually kind of made me sad. :( I've seen those movies you listed except the last one. I still burst into tears watching Up and Forest Gump, lol.

I wanna add Toy Story 3. :D

• The Lion King

• Cast Away always makes me cry.

• I always cry when I watch Steel Magnolias. When Shelby dies...

• didn't cry on any of those, the only movie that made me sad *not cry* was Me before you

• All great movies.

Pay it forward, that's one movie that left me bawling my eyes out. 😢

• Want to see the saddest movie ever? It is called Hatchi. Check it out! It made my dad and military brother cry!!

• Yeah I've seen it. Lovely but it made me cry a lot :(

• I have never seen the fifth but all the other ones made me cry to.

• I haven't seen most of these but I'll check them out. Up didn't make me shred a tear. How did you cry?

• It hits me hard because it reminds me of my deceased grandparents to be quite honest.

• Terrible* excuse my crappy auto correct

• No you're all good :) I understand where you're coming from.
      To the average person, it probably wouldn't be emotional though.

• Yup. These movies are tear jerkers. I would also add The Bridge to Terebithia to this list!

• you need to watch me before you... i cried more than i have for any movie in my life. i rarely cry lol

• Yeah I read the book and I bawled, so definitely going to avoid the movie.

• @legs_n_sheets - See, Marley & Me is a tear-jerker. I just can't do it. xD