5 Effective and Practical Martial Art Styles You Should Consider for Self-Defense

Violence should be avoided as much as possible. But at times of self-defense, violence is unavoidable. One of the most important things we must learn is self-defense to protect yourself, or your kith and kin.

Let's take a look at one of the most practical and effective martial art styles which are truly applicable in real life situations.

Important note- Do not judge a martial art by it's flashy moves.

1) Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ)

It's a martial art which focuses on grappling and ground fighting. People who love watching UFC and MMA fights will recognize this style quickly. There is a reason why nearly all MMA fighters train in BJJ.

BJJ is a mix of takedowns, ground control, passes and submissions (as well as defenses to each).

Famous BJJ fighters- The Gracie family, BJ Penn.

2) Muay Thai

Also known as the art of eight limbs (uses eight body parts- two hands, two legs, two elbows and two knees) is not only one of the most effective martial arts styles in the world, it’s also one of the best martial arts for self defense. You've seen Muay Thai if you've watched Ong Bak.

Famous Muay Thai fighters in the UFC- Anderson Silva, Rory McDonald, Valentina Shevchenko.

3) Boxing

One of the most famous and effective combat sports. I don't think I have to explain anything about this.

Famous fighters- Floyd Mayweather Jr, Muhammad Ali.

4) Krav Maga

Krav Maga is a self-defense system developed for the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) that consists of a wide combination of techniques sourced from aikido, judo, boxing and wrestling.

It teaches you how to disarm the aggressor in different situations like while standing, sitting in the car etc. Krav Maga trainers teach how to attack the body's vulnerabilities like the eyes, throat, groin etc.

5) Wrestling

Wrestling is a combat sport involving grappling type techniques such as clinch fighting, throws and takedowns, joint locks, pins and other grappling holds.

This martial art is effective only in close combat, as it involves no striking.

Famous wrestlers in the UFC- Brock Lesnar, Jon Jones, Randy Couture.

Note- Other martial arts like Taekwondo, Kung Fu, Wing Chun etc are effective in certain situations too if the martial artist has abundant skill and knowledge. This Take merely guides people who are interested in learning new styles and does not criticize other martial arts in any way.

Thank you and have a good day. :)

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 3

• I like those martial art styles. You could have added Sambo and Kung Fu too, but cool mytake anyway :D

• Thank you.
      Kung Fu needs abundant skill and expertise to be useful in real life situations. Otherwise it's quite slow and impractical.

• I know, like Shaolin monks, or Wudang monks.

• Very nice myTake, I like Kickboxing, Kung Fu, and Judo.

• I agree with the list, there are other martial arts, but the practitioner needs more skill and experience to apply the techniques on the field

What Guys Said 19

• Took Krav Maga for a while, those guys don't fuck around man. Especially during the knife practices, they seriously try to come at you from all sides.

• in my opinion: 1. BJJ (no wrestling because it is just stand-up BJJ without submission holds), 2. Muay Thai (no boxing, because of the focus on punching range which is easily countered by teeps, also slips and weaving can get you kicked/kneed in the face in Muay Thai), 3. Systema (for the systems fluidity and it's avoidance of ground fighting situations), 4. Krav Maga (compliments systema because it is based more on specific techniques than general motions), 5. Taekwondo (compliments the Muay Thai kicking by adding some more variations of the kicks)

• I was an ex student of TKD and let me tell you we literally forgot we have hands! Lol.

• A boxer who is an expert in Muay Thai, BJJ and wrestling is the best fighter there could ever be.

• BJJ-Yes
    Judo-Yes
    Muay Thai-Yes
    Krav Maga-Yes-The sole purpose of this is self defense
    Wrestling-somewhat, the rules restrict the fighters.
    The rest that are self-professed practical martial arts have been beaten time and time again. I have given that beating.

• You have given that beating? Interesting. Elaborate please, if you don't mind.

• My ground fighting isn't that good so it's stand up.

• I do BJJ and boxing! As soon as I get my money right i'm learning Muay thai too. Also I do not want to start too many projects at once if you get what I mean. This one guy said he thinks everyone should learn like BJJ, wrestling or judo first. Grappling arts are the most demoralizing and that is where most fights will end up. Next boxing, kick boxing or muay thai to learn how to distance yourself properly and then a weapons related one like krav maga or kali

• I took Combat Sambo for a few years. Loved it. Still have my suit or outfit and remember a lot of it. Used several moves because I had a few fights throughout school. And it's a great exercise.

• Combat Sambo is nice. If you're interested, try learning MMA. It combines BJJ, wrestling and Muay Thai moves.

• Agreeing with practically all of these. Krav Maga is probably the best one if you're thinking pure self defense.

Did a lot of muay thai myself. Its to the point and a great workout.

• I do Jeet Kune Do. It's highly effective if used properly.
    Great list, but I have some points:
    1. Bjj - while I like it, I prefer Judo due to the throwing of people. A hip toss on concrete will stop any attacker, double if you slam their head into it.
    2. MT - I prefer Muay Boran, that's the street version of Thai fist
    3. Boxing - yes, just yes. It's the BEST hands only fighting art
    4. Krav Maga - it's good, and I studying a little, I prefer JKD, Keysi fighting system and Russian Sambo a little more.
    5. Wrestling - yes, but who teaches it outside of high school. I've never seen a class for it.
    Best martial art - parkour. Just run when trouble comes. lol.

• Lol parkour.

• I've trained in various martial arts, some self trained, some taught to me.
      I've learned to use what ever works. That's included weapons, firearms, dirty fighting, and some kung fu techniques, but not the whole art.
      Fighting and Martial arts are fun, but they are not the same things.

• @GreatnessBack Lol, yes. I guess you're smart enough to know what works and what doesn't. Good luck.

• I know of far better styles like Goju Ryu which was created for the sole purpose of fighting the unexpected and street fighters, criminals and the like.

• I would like to add Shotokan karate, especially the version taught by the Japan Karate Association.
    Shotokan is particularly suited to women, because power comes from speed rather than muscle mass. Speed comes from the way that the hips are used and women have bigger hips, so they are often faster than men and can hit almost as hard. It is the simple physics of mass x velocity = impact energy.
    Shotokan (and other styles of karate) are designed to allow the student to engage multiple assailants simultaneously.
    The karate-ka can choose to kill, maim, or disable an assailant the first time that they hit them. The degree of force used is determined by the context of the situation.
    See:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_zmL6BRCOA

• Yes karate is good, but only in a suitable situation.
      Lyoto Machida of UFC knows karate, but he doesn't use it because it's rarely effective against other fighters. Karate teaches useful kicks though. But we have Muay Thai, which teaches the best kicks.

• @Levin Wtf. Lmao.
      UFC or not, any MMA ring is the closest thing possible to a real fight, because it is. It tests skills. UFC is too regulated yes. Gotta agree with you on that part.

• Honestly, I respect those MMA guys, they're way stronger than me, and more competent fighters of course. But people who do different arts will fight differently and to their strengths. Don't totally rule them out, they might surprise you :)

• I've been practicing Krav for the last 3 years. I find it's highly effective for destroying an attacker. IF you get in a fight with somebody who is good at Krav.. you're probably not walking away...

• Great list. Savate is good too since it teaches kicking with shoes but it would be hard to find unless your in France.

• I've practiced Krav Maga and I can confirm that it's really effective and tends to be simplistic and practical.

• you still need cardio to do jiu jitsu

• We need cardio for everything honestly. We mixed martial artists do cardio each time we train. Breathe, breathe and breathe. Phew.

• Yeah even if you have good techinque the best while gassing out is that with bjj you can still keep your opponent at bay if they have very bad bjj or no experience in it.

• Those are all cool, but I still prefer ninjitsu or gun.

• Gun? Yes lol.
      Ninjutsu is diminishing and it's quite an old fashioned orthodox martial art.

• I took karate when I was little

• Hi Lucifer. Karate is quite good, but you need to be an expert in it to use it in real life situations. Otherwise it's too slow and impractical.

• What about karate

• Well, I picked only five of them. Karate doesn't replace any of the above. Sorry.

• was always interested in krav maga any one on here try it on here?

• Where is kung fu?

• Kung Fu is one of the toxic martial arts which needs too much skill to be useful.
      There's a reason why UFC fighters don't do Kung Fu, Wing Chun, Aikido etc.

• I can show you hundreds of fights were someone that uses kung fu beats the other guy.

• No it isn't bud. Kung foo is the quickest way to get your ass kicked.

• Take out KM and you've got a perfect list.