Is Stanley Kuprick overrated as a historic director?

I recently saw Clockwork Orange and 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time recently, and I was underwhelmed. It wasn't necesarily by the length or the visual style, but by things lacking in the storytelling and acting (except for a few performances like Jack from The Shining and some moments in Clockwork Orange). Maybe his style just wasn't for me. What are your thoughts?

• Blasphemy!! Stanley Kuprick is an emperor of cinema!
  • Meh, I like those movies.
  • Yes, his movies are overrated.
*Kubrick. lol, honestly didn't mean to call him a "prick".

Most Helpful Girl

• I've only seen Clockwork Orange but I adore it, it's one of my favourite films. I just think it's very clever, I love how the 'future' world was brought to life, the alternate ending which deviated from the book was interesting and gave it a very different tone (I'm not sure which I like more, though the film ending is more entertaining..). The sets represent the culture of the characters and the world they live in so perfectly. I just think it's a real masterpiece

Most Helpful Guy

• In order to understand works of genius you have to put them in context. Kubrick seems underwhelming because his technique has saturated the movie industry and has now been brought even further into perfection. You've seen his movies your whole life it's just been chopped up put on steroids and injected into many of your favorite movies. If you watch it today as a person from today his work is weak But at the time of his release he was ahead of the game by centuries. What makes it even better is that many can still watch his works and enjoy it. He's like the Beatles. Let a 10 year old listen to them and their gonna be meh about it but so many musician they love can trace their influences back to the Beatles. Genius is about insight and Kubrick at the time saw things like no one had seen before and presented it in a very digestible way to his audience. And as a result his work has effected many many directors of the films you love. You gotta remember 2001: a space odyssey was filmed in 1968. Watch a bunch of other movies from 1968 and feel what was popular then. The first Star Wars was nearly a decade later. Now look at interstellar, Ex Machina, Star Trek and all that stuff. It's all the offspring of Kubrick. A clockwork orange is a whole other story. The man created genres. You can hate him all you want but whether or not you like it your gonna see elements of his work everywhere.

• Reread this and realized I definitely got overzealous on praising the man. But still put into the right context you can see why his movies are regarded as at the very least impressive.

What Girls Said 2

• I think they are a bit...
    But that's just me.

• Kubrick. Dude. Kubrick.

What Guys Said 7

• I think the general assessment is relatively accurate on some accounts. I can tell you that I watch The Shining and 2001 whenever they're on TV. I wouldn't say Kubrick is one of the greatest directors of all time, but he made some good stuff.

I thought Eyes Wide Shut sucked. Clockwork feels very dated now to me. And Full Metal Jacket had good points but nothing more. There are little touches in Kubrick films that get the film students all giddy--like the credits rolling top to bottom in The Shining, the freaky camerawork, etc. But overall he's not in my top echelon.

• You need to see Dr Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. Yes that is the title of one movie not two

• I was going to say, I should probably avoid judging his style before seeing that movie. But to me, if it isn't on Netflix or in theaters, it doesn't exist.

• Its worth owning

• You're just not artsy enough to get it.

• I def agree his movies are overrated. In my experience it is pseudo intellectuals That find it mind blowing. Clock work orange lost its legitametcy when the internet gave us porn.

• One of the people that i most respect for his work.
    I can't stand a lot of crap that comes from hollywood.

• You said Kuprick twice so I can't pass it off as a typo. Even if you think his films are shit that's pretty disrespectful.

But to, answer your question, they're a mixed bag. I'll give him Dr. Strangelove and 2001.

• My bad, didn't realize it was with a "d" when I wrote this. I thought it was like the word "cupric".

• Kubrick, dude. You think it's okay to dis the man's career when you can't even spell his name?

• Kubrick took quite a bit of time to get his point across in each of his films, but he was a master storyteller. Most of his films have to be seen multiple times to get the full effect. He's one of my all-time favorite filmmakers; there will never be another quite like him.