3 Reasons Why Every Man Should Go to a Barber Shop and Never Go Back to a Unisex Salon!

I am of the belief that every man should ditch the Unisex salons which cater more to women than men and go to a barber shop. Here are 3 of my reasons why.

Better Haircuts

This should be a given! In most barber shops you will have your hair cut by a male barber who has gone to school to learn how to cut men's hair. You can tell them just what you want and they will be able to do it. While many of the people who would cut your hair at a unisex salon are women and have experience cutting women's hair. I can't tell you the last time I have went to one of those [unisex salons] and gotten a good hair cut, they even messed up my buzzcut! I have yet to get a bad haircut from the barber I go to.

Straight Razor Shaves

This is sort of a specialty of barber shops, you won't be getting one of these outside a barber shop unless you are able to do all of this at home. I think this is about as close to a spa treatment a man can get without being made fun of by his buddies. A cut and a shave will make you feel fresh and clean, and you'll definitely look sharp. Definitely a good feeling to have every once in a while.

Community

Lastly, I love the enviroment inside a barber shop. Unlike when I was young I would sit quietly and stare at my feet for 30 minutes while I waited to get my hair cut, but at the barber shop everyone would be talking to each other. Plus the subject matter of the conversations aren't things you would discuss unless you were with a group of guys. Last time I was there to get my hair cut, there was a conversation about the ethnicity of The Rock, some said Samoan, others said black. It was settled by someone with a smart phone who was waiting; The Rock is from Canada. It's always a pleasure to be in there.

Well, there you have it. Those are 3 of my reasons why I think every man should go to a barber shop and ditch the unisex salons!

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 2

• Last I knew barber shops were unisex. The two here in town are and any others I've heard of are. As for the salon deal, they can be pretty crappy.

• while I have noticed barbers are better than unisex salons, you now get male hair salons which do some amazing work :)

What Guys Said 15

• 4 reasons I'll stick to unisex salons

1. My haircuts have almost always been done right. I am usually very satisfied or at worst unmoved by my haircut. Whether it be a man or a woman that cuts my hair it doesn't matter. They have done both so they know what they are doing.

2. Shaving is something I can do quite well on my own and I won't have to spend any money on it.

3. When I am getting a haircut I want to get it over with as quickly as possible. I do not enjoy the process and I am not there to socialize. It makes me feel very uncomfortable that the hairdresser (or in this case barber) may be distracted by the conversation and not do as good a job as he/she would if his/her full attention was focused on cutting my hair.

4. There are no barbershops near me while the nearest salon is a 10 minute walk away.

• A barbershop is one of the few male safe havens in existence!

I go to a barbershop in my city and I enjoy the "dude" atmosphere. We can talk about dude stuff comfortably, which is very important in this feminized world! :-D

• Couldn't agree with you more I like barber shops and we happen to have about 2-3 classic old ones here in town and they are pretty nice to go to.

• The babrber shop i go to is more of a "black barber shop" hate to say it but i dont know many white people that can give me a decent style. Any way it has more of a family feel to things. Primarily male but women when they are with their husbands or children often chime in on the conversation. No big deal. It is a safe haven for guy talk. I dont usually chime in because its mostly sports and i dont pay attention to any sports.

• barber shops come in two varieties where I'm from: hip hop style specialists and hipster havens. I'd like to get a better haircut, but those places just don't suit me.

• I would if I know where one is in my city. they are becoming rare these days anyway.

• I used to cut my own hair. It takes less time, effort and money than going to a barber, and no one will mess up your hair. Also, it just took 2-3 cuts for practice, and afterwards, no one could ever tell any difference (yeah, it looks like a professional haircut). Once you have a good clipper and trimmer, and with a little bit of practice after watching you tube videos, it's just easy as a breeze -- takes some 5-10 minutes. Only cleanup takes some time if at all.

• I totally agree and have never been to a unisex salon

When I was a little boy I used to hang out at my dads barbershop
    And when I grew up I found my own barbers
    And now I go to a great barber up in university

• I've been to a unisex salon exactly once. Never again.

• it really helps that my friend is a barber haha

getting lined up and when my friend is striaghtning my side burns is one of the best things ever you feel so FRESH

• Yeah, you're right. I'm sick and tired of going to the unisex salon that is actually for women for all intents and purposes and getting a haircut that she somehow thinks looks good but is actually shorter one one side and sticks up weird. Plus it is overpriced, in my opinion. Only problem is how can I find a good one in my area?

• You could use google maps probably. The owner of the barbershop I go to has done business with my family so we are friendly.

• I go to barber shops exclusively now. Cheaper, better cuts, and neck shaves with a straight razor. Doesn't get better.

• oh fuck no... the thought of having someone hold a razor to my throat makes me cringe lol.

I know thats just me being stupid though

• They're very careful about it. The razor touches your skin very gently, its not like a cartirdge razor where you have to push it against your face.

The blade is sharp enough that you dont have to use any pressure.

• then at least get your HAIR cut there. That's not done with a straight razor XD

• I have no hair lol

• Totally agree ! My hairdresser is from Morocco and in his barber shop, there are always only men, in the 4 years I've been having my hair cut by him, I have only seen 2 women there ! (Although his barber shop is not exclusively for men) actually.

He always does a great job ! I've had my hair cut by women at this and that barber shop, but I was never really content, he just knows how to match my hair to the shape of my face.

• I've just actually started to go to the barbers again (I used to just cut my own hair) . There's a business over here called 'Dad's 'n' lads') it's owned by a lady that's 'self taught' and not only do you get a cracking haircut the atmosphere and banter are class

• Yeah, the guys at the one I go to are always busting each others chops. Very fun.

• Busting each others chops? I've never heard that expression lol.
      My barbers is no good if you don't like bad language ha ha... you just gotta give as good as you get with them ha ha