5 Ridiculous Makeup Trends of 2016 So Far

Ridiculous Trend #1:

Kylie Jenner Cosmetics

After the global launch of her wildly successful liquid lipstick + lip liner duo, the Kylie Lip Kit, Kylie Jenner launched Kylie Cosmeticsâ„  in 2016. Now I'm not criticizing Kylie, she can create a makeup line if she wants, that's fine. But upon initial release of her 8 Kylie Lip Kits, all sold out in approximately 20 minutes on her website, and every time it's been restocked, it's all sold out in 10 minutes.

On average, one set sells for about $50 USD on eBay, and a complete set of 8 Lip Kits are selling for about $350 USD. In addition to all this, the lack of quality it apparent, with makeup artist and model Jeffree Star (who happens to have one of the most successful lipstick businesses today) is not impressed. And he is just one of many.

I understand that Kylie has a large fan base, but the lengths (and price) people are willing to go to or pay just to get celebrity branded makeup is crazy.

Ridiculously Expensive Trend #2:

Urban Decay Naked Palettes

Urban Decay is a cosmetics company renowned for it's high quality products. The first Naked palette was released in 2010, with a 4.9 out of 5 stars on the website, and 99% would recommend this out of 5,409 reviews. The Naked Palette 2 was released in 2014, and while it doesn't have as many reviews at 3,758, 99% would recommend this palette, also being rated 4.9 out of 5 stars.

The mass appeal of the Urban Decay Naked line is largely due to the variety of neutral toned colors in each palette. The shadow has high pigment and is overall known to be of very good quality, and even with the release of the Naked Palette 3 in 2014, the hype (justifiably) still hasn't cooled down. Each palette sells for $55 USD on the Urban Decay website.

Urban Decay has also had success with The Vault (above), a set with 6 of its best selling Naked eye shadow palettes, which originally retailed for $165 at Sephora, though if you bought each one by itself, it would cost you $274. It sold out online almost instantly, and currently retails on eBay for $300-$400 USD.

Ridiculously Funny Trend #3:

Penis Shaped Lipsticks

These hilarious lipsticks would make a great Bachelorette party favour, or could even be a prank for a friend. Do I really need to say anything else?

A 12 pack retails for about $15 USD on Amazon.

Ridiculously Cool Trend #4:

Flower Jelly Lipstick

This cosmetic is more recently trending, and has gone viral on Instagram.

This clear lipstick is infused with jelly, gold specks, and a tiny flower placed right in the center, and was created by beauty brand Kailijumei.

While the lipstick appears clear, it leaves a glossy pink tint to your lips that changes colors depending on your body temperature.

It retails for $30 online, but it's all sold out (still available for preorder though!). You can also put in a bid on eBay where these beauties are going for a discount at $4 a pop.

Ridiculously Talented Trend #5:

Lipstick Art

Canadian make-up artist Andrea Reed, better known as Girl Grey Beauty to her 128,000 Instagram followers, is using makeup to turn her lips into picture-perfect works of art. Some of her designs are based off of famous pieces like Katsushika Hokusai's Great Wave Off Kanagawa. This is absolutely amazing.

Hope you enjoyed.

Luci :)

Luci92 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 6

• The flower jelly lipstick actually seemed pretty cool lol.

• The plaid lipstick is hot.

• All of these are horrible, and I never thought I'd see the day that I'd be sitting down and agreeing with a gal on which lipstick trends can't die off fast enough; but this one practically writes itself.

The dick stick trend... have these ladies no self-respect? A woman so eager to blow me, that she gets a lipstick thing shaped like my masculine part just to simulate in anticipation? That's an awful lot of pressure, don't you think? Who in their right mind decided that teaching teenage girls to think like Monica Lewinsky should be cool and trending?

• I like how you taking your role as a lipstick critic so seriously! The dick stick is never meant to be an item that you treat yourself with its something u would prank with. Thought it was obvs. The Monica Lewinsky comparison is a bit outdated and over handed. She paid her price love stop trolling.

• Penis Shaped Lipsticks lol

• would you buy it

• lmfao no 3

• i enjoyed reading this believe it or not.

What Girls Said 28

• for # 1/#2 that's why i don't buy these expensive brands :o :/ i still love my drugstore makeup brands :) <3
    that "mushroom" lipstick tho LMAO
    awwww i like that little flower lipstick it looks cute

• I was going to actually buy the Urban Decay naked palette yesterday lol I want a nice neutral palette. I didn't know it was a trend thing though lol 😅

Those penis shaped lipsticks though 😱😐

• OMG did you do it? They're SO good!

I know, I can't get over them :/

• The ones on snapchat are the ones I recently bought but I ordered two more 😂

• @Clarisa_ two more! Retail therapy huh babes? 😏😉 I'll look for one and show you!

• Informative myTake ✨

I have observed that most of these trends concern cosmetics applied in the lips. Those dick-shaped lipsticks... horrendous, puke puke 😵! I didn't know they're one of the trends this 2016 until I read this Take.

Another thing. What's with the bee or wasp at one of the lipstick arts? OMG

• Thank you :)
      Yeah that's what I realized too at the end of writing this. Yeah the dick shaped lipsticks aren't my thing haha.
      I know right? It's amazing that she actually did that with makeup.

• The naked palettes are amazing. I own two.
    If I liked lipstick more if deff try the Kylie kit.

• funny they are all like 6 ft and kylie is like 5 feet.

• Haha so hilarious

• I really want a flower jelly lipstick ✨ but i agree with you about the rest 👍🏻

• I think the lipstick art is pretty cool :)

The Kylie kits are overrated because the product is iffy, half filled tubes and broken wands... and it has an F from the Better Business Bureau for that and other complaints.

I like Urban Decay, but there isn't enough variety in their palates for me and not enough mattes. But they are good quality, so, I can see why people like them. I just don't think they're worth the hype.

• I want the flower jelly lipstick and Naked palette <3

• I want the flower jelly lipstick <3

• loved the last two! and the penis shaped lipstick is just gross ahaha what about some clitoris shaped ones... ;) now that's my jam.

about naked... if the quality is that good, isn't the price kind of justifiable? one friend of mine has naked #1 and LOVES it.

• Penis shaped lipstick- the funniest thing I've seen all day.

• i love all of these trends though

• kylie sells a make up line but the lip injections are not included lol

• The Kylie lip kits are ridiculous I got a few as a girl from work (as I work for a cosmetic retailer who regularly gives good employees gifts so we can use the products and in turn know more for customers sake) and they're in fact made by colourpop which is a lower end drug store line so you're really paying a huge mark up for Kylies name. I've used them and since binned them I was massively unimpressed with the sticky gloses

• I love all of these, except Kylie Jenner. Does she even do her own makeup?

• 1. I agree
    2. Both overpriced and overrated (color-wise)
    3. Gross but that's pretty funny
    4. This one shouldn't be included. I adore jelly lip sticks. Love the Clarins ones.
    5. Eh not my thing

• I don't think you know what a trend is. Or what the word ridiculous means.

• Trend: something that's popular or talked about. All of these products are things I've observed to be somewhat trending, although 3 was included more for the lols.
      Ridiculous: something absurd (used it both positively and negatively in this take)

• The only ones that seem to be trending are the naked palettes, and Kylie cosmetics, neither of which are ridiculous.

• Lol penis lipstick? I should buy that as a present for one of my friends. I haven't seen her in a while so this would be the perfect gift. xD

• What who doesn't want to rub dick on their lips

• More from Girls
    8