8 Natural Hair Stereotypes

8 Natural Hair Stereotypes

1. Natural hair is dirty

If someone has locs/dreds or even an afro, somehow there is this assumption that they don't ever wash their hair. There are people from every culture, no matter their hair type that don't wash their hair or keep a regular hair care routine going, but that certainly does not apply to everyone. A lot of the misconception comes from the fact that many naturals do not wash their hair every day, but do so only once or twice a week. That largely has to do with the porosity of the hair. Natural hair, despite it's thickness, tends to be very weak. Constantly washing and styling can severely damage your hair in ways it may not for those with other strands. It can also really dry out the scalp and rob it of natural oils.

2. It's cool to touch someone's hair without permission

I'm sorry but who is cool with this idea of a bunch of randoms dipping into their scalp at will? Do you know how many people don't wash their hands after using the bathroom, or just scratched themselves, or had their fingers in their mouths or were just eating and now without asking, they want to jam their fingers into your hair. That's gross and a violation of someone's personal space. If I want to hug, kiss, hand shake, or touch someone else in any way who is an absolute perfect stranger, you ask first. Period.

3. It takes forever to grow out

Even naturals themselves believe this one. Let me use the car example. If we set two cars out in a race, and one has a straight track all the way to the finish line which they can easily see, and the other has a mountainous curvy terrain with many twists and turns for the same distance, who do you think is going to get their first? The straight track. A strand of straight hair grows up out of the scalp and relatively straight down. A strand of curly or kinky hair goes up and out and makes spirals and winds round itself and goes to the side in comparison on it's descent downwards added to the fact that it is tightly coiled rather than straight, which is why it always looks like someone with straight hair grows out their hair so much faster than that of someone with curly/kinky hair. It is therefore usually shocking when someone with curly hair straightens it or simply pulls straight a strand of their hair because it's like wow, didn't know it was that long, but it's been that long all along.

4. You can't do anything with natural hair

Wha...say what? Let me count the ways...curl it, twist it, braid it, weave it, wig it, fro it, puff it, straighten it (without chemicals), color it, tuck it, pin it, cut it, and on and on. You can actually do tons of stuff and create tons of styles with it.

5. We believe other races can't have natural hair

Every time there is a post where someone says, "natural hair," there are always those comments of why do you get to call it that, but not my hair which is natural. Natural hair is hair growing out of your head without the aid of any chemicals added to it. POC in particular tend to distinguish within their own community because there are people who chemically straighten/relax their hair and those who are natural and don't. Products for the two tend to differ quite a bit as are the methods of hair care. There is no racial conspiracy about it. Since other races don't tend to use chemicals on their hair b/c the hair is already straight, there really isn't much of a distinction needed as those with curly hair who are not POC, tend to call themselves, "those with curly hair," as opposed to "natural hair." But if you want to stand there all day long and say you have natural hair, do that. It literally doesn't matter either way. Okay. Cool?

6. Natural hair means you're a crunchy granola all natural hippie type

Like everyone keeps saying, but no one actually believes, it's just hair. You can work in a corporate office and have natural hair. It's not a lifestyle, it doesn't determine who you get to love or who loves you. It doesn't make you a better or worse person. It doesn't pay your bills. It's just hair. And oddly enough, people who have natural hair were born with their hair natural. You can't really determine who and what someone is at birth can you...can you?!? No, the answer is no, you can't.

7. They believe everyone else should be natural too

This is another one in the natural hair community as well. I had my hair relaxed for a billion years before I "went natural." I'd be oh, only the biggest hypocrite if I suddenly started pointing at every person who had relaxed hair and telling them they were awful people and should follow what I'm doing. It's your hair, you do whatever the hell you want to do with your own hair on your own body, k, thanks!

8. No one hires people with natural hair

There are always people who aren't going to hire you for superficial things like hair, or not so superficial like your race, but on the flip side, there are so many more people who actually give a f--- about hiring quality individuals who can do the job. I style my hair, I take care of it, it's hecka cute, and I went on job interviews and have worked at so many places where people don't even bat an eyelash, so trying to convince someone this is true for every place, corporate or not, is largely misleading.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 3

• Glad I have straight/wavy hair.

• i love natural beards.

• I love natural hair

What Girls Said 12

• as a girl with natural curly hair i agree with you
    especially with people touching my hair or trying to detangle my hair >:( >:( (this irritates the sh*t out of me) or people saying am a damn hippie cause i don't comb my hair or whatsover... but idc cause its MY HAIR

• I just started wearing my natural hair for the summer and I'm loving it! Great take.

• This is awesome, and I really like your last point. At the end of the day, it's hair and not a social issue. I love to wear my hair natural, straightened, or styled, and no one cares.!

• my sister was dumb enough to relax her hair, she got tired of the flatness in a few months then did a big chop lmao now she's got a cute little fro going on.

• I can't stand it when people touch my hair. It infuriates me, just like when I heard about Naptural85, who was violated as well by a white woman who was told by her husband to touch her hair.

HELLO PEOPLE. PERSONAL SPACE.

• I love this. I transitioned for 7 months got tired of it and big chopped in June. I wouldn't trade in my natural hair for the world.

• good for you. I hate short hair personally because I don't think it looks good with face shape, so when I did mine almost 4 years ago now, I spend most that entire first year in and out of wigs, but when I started to get some length back I really started to enjoy the process. I think of all the time and money I spent with relaxers and all the chemical burns, and it feels good to just use natural products, and nourish my hair, and not feel like I am a slave to all the processes needed to keep it going and styled.

• My hair is curly, but not to this extent, and #2 happens to me all the time. I usually don't mind unless it's a completely random stranger, just because it feels good to have my hair messed with. I've always loved that ever since I was a kid.

• <3 Love natural hair-my mom always had her hair super straight until maybe 3 years ago. Then she got the big chop. Her hair is divine in my eyes. And it's been awesome getting more and more into natural hair and the natural community and taking the time to treat my hair, yay Shae Moisture <3

• I'm never going back to having natural hair again. It was the worst.

• Lots of whities wear their own hair "natural" and they are always hired lololol

• I love this! I have been natural for 8 or 9 years and I love it way more than I thought I would. It was supposed to be a temporary break from relaxers, but I loved it so much I kept it.

• That's awesome. I know for me, I never realized how much more freedom I had with my hair being natural especially the I don't have to fear the rain thing anymore, sheesh!

• Haha same here. When I used to straighten my hair I would have to run. Now I can stand in the rain freely haha

• @RainbowFanGirl exactly haha. People always think natural hair is high maintenance, they don't understand how easy it makes life sometimes.

• My hair has been natural since 2002 (I didn't have hair until I was 2).