How To Enjoy Korean Food

A lot of people don't know how to order Korean food. Korean food is consist of 4 to 6 side dishes and main dish. No matter what you order they bring out side orders. It's basic appetizers. We normally order only the main dish like kimchee soup, yellow bean soup, stringy noodle, bibimbob which is vegetable on rice. Some restaurants provide different side dish depends on the menu. I always get kimchee when I order kimchee soup but in some restaurants in Canada they don't give kimchee when I order kimchee soup which I think is no good. I want my kimchee with kimchee soup; why not?

How to enjoy Korean food

People usually order 2 main dishes and get out. However you sometimes see a group of people drinking and they order a lot of dishs. They are colleages. They get a office dinning out like once a month with company paying for their special dinner. And sometimes you see family eating BBQ or pancakes or fried dumplings or pork belly meat with cabage wrap and spicy pickled condiment. Family have dinning out regulary each month. If you are with someone or group, it's always good to order something like that. But you should remember that you have to leave your stomach space for the main course. Rice is very fulfilling so you don't want to mess around before you eat it.

Menus are varied; with soup, over the rice, bbq, and some noodle. Koreans are not crazy about noodles unless it's summer. There is spicy and non spicy stringy noodle. It's cold so people like it in summer. They ususally order as desert after they eat BBQ because BBQ is little and it's not that fullfilling. If you want a lot of meat, you might want to try BBQ buffet. You can get table BBQ unlimited otherwise it's too much money to order more than 1 serve per person.

stringly noodle - there are spicy ones and spicy one with sting ray sushi which is my favorite. They put a lot of message for waterly one, but spicy one could be real challege if you are first time challenger.

You just don't want to spend too much money on things that hurts your budget because you want to come back whenever you want to come back. And people don't usually order japanese food in a Korean restaurant. They only order it in a Japanese restaurant or a Korean Japanese restaurant.

Korean waitress and waiters are different than western's. They work like a slave according to my friend's observation but what they want is finish bring the food and call it a day. They can be called from far. You just have to raise your hand when they are looking at your side. Then they come and you ask more side dish or condiments or water. It's hard to get their attention sometimes and you have to wait until they look at your side and if it's emegency you call them by saying "excuse me." loud enough that they can hear. Some waitress are slacking but there is nothing you can do about it believing they are trying to serve you hard. You can ask any worker for help there is no designated waiter or waitress.

Popular Korean Dishes

Yellow Bean Soup (Dyen Chang Chi Kae)

Al-chi kea - Fish egg soup
Full of fish egg! What a bargain! But some restaurants don't make it good. It's hard to find a restaurant that makes it good. If you find somewhere good, you are lucky. Hit or miss!

Bibim-bob, various cooked vegetables on rice
you put spicy paste and mix all up and eat. They might bring less side dish for this because everything is over lap with side dish.

Spicy Pork
Sometimes they have it on top of rice. It's called Jea Yook Bok Um

Pan cake
You must try sea food pancake. Most of the restaurants have a good recipe, they cook well.

You will see squid rings. It's Spicy Squid on top of Rice called o-jing-o-thup-bob

Sorry about my English ... not good.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 14

• Nice looking food but it's too spicy for me... turns me into a hot little fire cracker

• love korean food ! especially spicy squid ♡

• We adopted my little brother from Korea so we get to eat Korean food a lot. I LOVE Asian food in general, and Korean food is no exception. Except for Kimchi. I'm sorry to anyone who likes it and iI don't know why I dont, but I just hate kimchi. It smells weird and tastes gross. I really wish I liked I though.

• yeah it really smells like dead. Koreans even hate the smell also. but after we eat, we relax. actually it's hard to find a good kimchi. some people put pear or apple minced. it make kimchi taste less fish. If you find some korean restaurant specialized for sul lung thang, they have sweet kimchi. all they do is put a lot of sugar in it. it really make kimchi taste sweet. You might like that.

• Thanks I might! My brother and mom like it a lot, even the really spicy stuff.

• also, you have to leave it out in room temperature for like a day. it become sweeter but if you leave it out longer, it becomes sour. sour ones are used for soup. spicy food is good for skin I think,. it makes you sweat so it's good.

• I love bimbimbap!! The closest, good Korean place where I live is 40 minutes away and 15 dollars an entree. I'm so broke 😭

• 15 dollars? that's outrageous. I used to have it for 10 dollars. if you want some korean grocery store have it as take out. it's like 8 dollar I think.

• Omggg thanks now I'm starving :(

• I made a mistake.. people usually order only 1 main dish and get out. 2 main dish for 2 people.
      also it's not message, message. the watery stringy noodle has full of message.

• Lol I wanna order all of it ! Except the fish egg soup kinda weird

• very helpful thank you :)

• The 오징어볶음 and 비빔밥 look really good! I want to try it for my birthday :-)

• wtf did i just read?

• The spicy pork looks pretty good.😄

• I didn't know people needed instructions on how to enjoy food..

• yummy

@mei0313

• I love korean food, it's my absolute favorite. I xan make tons of it! I'm always surprised just how much food korean people can eat!

• My aunt is Korean and she made all the food shown, they are extremely tasty. My fave was the Bimbimbap. ^_^

• I've tried kimchee before, pretty much hated it. But at least I tried. The pancakes are awesome though and I loved getting a container of yaki mandu from the street vendors to much on while shopping in town!

What Guys Said 11

• Don't you just hate it when you try to type "msg" on a mobile,

and it autocorrects with "message"? :-P

• If the dish has meat and poultry, it's GTG...

• Korean Food looks so damn delicious sadly we don't have a Korean place where I live.

• There's one everywhere near me. It's mainly Thai and Korean.

• I enjoy Korean food especially BBQ; I'm willing to try almost everything when it comes to food.

• Most of it looks good, not so sure about Fish Egg Soup. That group picture looked like they were having a good time--work pays for employee dinner party? Sounds like a winner!

• Some is yuck some is yum. I will still try most things on a Korean menu at least once just to try it. I love most of the spicy dishes. The soups are hit and miss.

• Are you korean? Or if any of you awesome korean gagers read this, can I ask you some questions about your awesome country? :)

• Ha I haven't been to a Korean restrauraunt in ages. Thanks for reminding me of the massive amount of side dishes (which is 2/3 of the meal in some places!)

Best advice tho, find one that serves good side dishes. Good side dishes>good Jain course.

• Thanks for this, I freakin' hate Korean food because I just can't make sense of it and this helped.

I shall try again.

• I liked this very much! I'm sometimes a little hesitant to go to a Korean (or Japanese) restaurant, just because I don't know what to order. But most of the time the food is delicious! You helped me a lot with this! (And I think your English is pretty good!)

• @whoever Great myTake, do you have a go-to Korean dish that you like to order when you go to a Korean restaurant? I like Korean food but haven't found my favorite dish yet.

• I like soon doo boo chi kea to go. It's tofu in a spicy soup. basically they use same ingredient for other soup. It just used with different content. If they have seafood tofu soup, it's the best. You can tell them make it not to hot, medium, and spicy. medium could be worth try. and if you like meat, spicy pork or bull go ki over the rice. that's thinly spiced BBQ over the rice. If you can find a restaurant with lunch special it's not that expensive. that's the best take out.

• @whoever Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it out on my next visit.