Do You Fall For Photoshop? I Can Guarantee That We All Have

Too many times, I have seen a girl refer to a shopped picture of a woman as her "goal body." This is problematic in several ways. One being that you can never achieve anyone's body but your own, and another being that the majority of images floating around the Internet are shopped in some way.

If the person in the photo doesn't even look like that, how can you?

Too many times, I've seen a guy refer to one of these shopped women as his "ideal." Men and women both don't seem to understand what a real woman looks like.

Are men photoshopped?

Absolutely. All the time. But it seems to be a bigger problem amongst females. So let's not get into that. This post is about women being photoshopped.

You can check out some Tumblrs dedicated to exposing shopped images here and heree.

Allow me to post some photos myself. Some of these I've seen floating around the Internet on more than one occasion.

It isn't just bodies, trust me.

There's so many more. But I don't have time for that.

This isn't about the ethics of photoshop, this is about bringing attention to girls that the majority of images they see are FAKE. You shouldn't strive to look like a girl who doesn't exist. And men, your expectations of the female body are just gonna set you up for disappointment if you allow these fake images to paint the portrait of what a woman actually looks like.

3036

Most Helpful Guy

• I can relate to this being into fitness myself. There's a lot of people out there that use photoshopped images of people to sell supplements. I've seen men and women images of photoshopped. The men are all ripped and lean and the women are slimmer and defined with other effects added in.

I do think guys need to realize what a realistic image of a woman looks like. I think only a portion do. They think they know what a "jeans and T shirt" girl looks like yet they really don't. A lot of guys think they know what a girl without makeup on looks like but they don't see the subtle things girls do. Guys also don't realize that being as lean as those male models with ultra ripped abs can actually be a health risk and that the amount of time women spend on makeup and alterations photo editors do to them can take forever. Even looking at behind the scenes portions of movies you'll see a lot of these people spend hours upon hours sitting in a chair just being dolled up for a few minutes of shooting the scenes.

• I couldn't agree more!

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't worry, those huge butts look awful to me.
    By the way, OT: Kate Upton's body is so weird! Her legs are super skinny but her upper body is chubby. She doesn't even have a waistline or a butt D: . Do guys really find her body hot? I mean, she has huge boobs, but that's about it.

• Are you saying girls with little waist definition and small butts can't be hot?

• So where are you getting this information that we all agree?

• ... You think Megan Fox and Angelina Jolie are ugly? Seriously? There ARE beauty standards, you can't deny it o_o.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 35

• 1. They made her stomach flat and smoothed out her hips.
    2. I don't think it's as heavily edited when comparing the two, I think she got a butt implant between the photos being taken, got a fake tan between the photos being taken, and was sticking her butt out to make it appear bigger.
    3. Too obvious
    4. Too obvious and not natural looking
    5. I can't truly tell which one is the edited one, I'm going to guess the one on the left because they tend to make them tanner rather than paler.
    6. This is not suppose to be a photo of the real Scarlett Johansson, it's suppose to be a realistic portrait of her character, and I think the rest of the Avengers is in the original picture as well also in the same art theme.
    7. They made her seem more hourglass-y
    8. They made her softer looking by replacing her abs with fat, and made sure to flatten her out.
    9. Who, at this point, thinks a photo of Kim is not Photoshopped?
    10. Isn't this the same girl from number two? So I was right with the fake butt then, it appears she photoshopped a lot more this time around though, around her waist in particularly.
    11. She only really made it so it's brighter looking, and the two pictures to the left are very unflattering angles, but when someone is taking a photo of themselves they will make themselves look as good as possible, which includes putting on makeup a certain way and taking the photo in certain lighting. I still think it's slightly altered, but not heavily.

Side note, please do not assume what you think men believe and do not believe, as you might just be able to tell you are not a man. So don't pretend you know what the average man thinks. Oh, and what is there to allow? We aren't women's masters, we can't control women to not photoshop themselves'. So I don't know what you mean there.

• I'm trying to show people the extent of photoshop. I don't exactly recall saying all men think every photo isn't shopped. But I've seen MANY men post shopped photos and say that its their "ideal." Same with girls.

Also. ..#8... that's Kate Upton by the way and those aren't abs, that's fat. They made her stomach flatter and gave her a waist lol.

I didn't ask for anyone to point out the blatantly obvious, either

• I'm sorry, was I supposed to qualify the statement with "some guys"?

I said IF you allow... I'm literally talking to all guys yes. Saying IF.

What I meant by that statement wasn't that men should make women stop photo shopping themselves (obviously) it was that men should be aware that most images are fake.

• 5--Her boob size

• Its not just photoshop. its also just photography in general. all those big ass porns and a photoshoots they're shooting with wide angle lenses to make the asses look bigger than they really are. a lot of it is framing, lighting, and makeup. photoshop is actually probably less responsible for the illusion of attractiveness than other parts of the photographic process are.

• We don't fall for photoshop to be honest. We're all aware that advertising companies have to show products are a tweaked. No one is going to sell products that are not close to an idea of what's perfect, clearly

With that said, sexy bodies and pretty faces are not unheard of in real life. I see a gorgeous women with a gorgeous body almost everyday, clearly not photoshopped either

• "We" - you don't speak for all men or even most

Second, I never said a nice body is only possible with photoshop.. so

• Still, a lot don't realize its shopped

• But nothing's wrong either lol, look at nicki Minaj, body hot as hell. Ass like a Greek goddess. So it is possible

• Given that American obesity rates are at an all time high, enough that the military fears it would hurt their abilities should a draft happen, I don't think people are obsessed *enough* with photoshopped perfection. What are the current rates? 100k preventable deaths a year, had the people been at a healthy, decent weight?

• No, as a nation we're pretty obsessed with photoshopped perfection.
      Our citizens having the work ethic to achieve their goal body is a different story...

• I don't see why we have to be obsessed with something fake? Why not... like. . I don't know... be obsessed with health? Just like... an idea...*smacks gum*

• the whole of hollywood is photoshop culture. it is disgusting the superficial and shallowness of it all...

• I hate PhotoShop. It's a douche bag's dream come true.

• Its funny beacuse I like several of the before images much better. Lol.

• Well i work with photoshop a lot so i can tell the difference now.

• kate uptons body is not my cup of tea, even the photo shopped version
    But thats besides the point
    WHATS REALLY IMPORTANT HERE IS: I think all these ladies, by photo shopping there bodies create an image that is nearly impossible to aspire too

• I agree.
      A lot of the time tho, celebs themselves don't do it. Random people on the Internet do.

• or the magazine publisher things like that...
      also all these girls know what angle suits them...
      its all camera angles and stuff

great take i like this

• Eh, any time you take a photo of anything you should use a flattering angle! But it does go overboard sometimes. Thanks!

• I wish God photoshop me.

• pretty sure I fall for it lol.

• Lol yeah everyone does.

• Did anyone actually think these pros weren't shopped?

• Not that I fell for it... I just don't give a shit.

• They absolutely photoshop men as much, and that's on top of taking photos of guys who aren't exactly facing olympic testing standards for PEDs

But agree with what you noted.

• Its almost scary...

• "fallen" would mean that we didn´t know it was fotoshoped. i personally know that every magazine or celeb poto is shopped in some kind of way so i don´t know if you could rightfully claim that.

• Kate upton!

• It doesn't really look that big of a difference. But it doesn't really matter anyways they look pretty before the photo shop. It's just fine tuning for magazines. Similar to auto tune they use for singers. It is a business after all.

No harm done in my opinion.

• If it isn't that big a difference and made no impact they wouldn't bother doing it.

• I agree. It is the business and it's about looking attractive so they're going to clean them up to make them as attractive as they can bc its all about looks. Just like making singers sound better

• Thanks for agreeing, Keep down voting me down because I'm speaking sense.

• No I don't really fall em, besides in my opinion most celebrity's are fake anyway.

• Real or not, I'd still fap to it :P

• More from Guys
    15

What Girls Said 29

• I find that most guys don't expect real life women to be as perfect as magazines and TV. Sadly for most women, we don't believe this to be true and constantly try to live up to unrealistic standards no matter how many times we are reassured.

Just look at this site and you will see real men who constantly weigh in on breast size, booty size and everything else. Very few of their preferences are outside the realm of possibility, though a guy's preference of short, petite curly haired girls will obviously leave me out. That means his preference is unrealistic for ME, but not women in general.

I find most guys are just happy to be there and love women for all their imperfections. Women are the ones setting unrealistic ideals on themselves.

• I totally agree with this. We are the ones who are usually hard on ourselves

• If someone falls for it they are surely guilible and not very observant lol the number 1 giveaway is that NOBODIES skin is THAT clear and smooth... lol solved, the simplest way to tell, most girls fall for it sadly and they aspire to BE these girls (even when it's physically impossible even with plastic surgery lol forever in a battle with themselves), but i'm a smart and observant person who lives to set truth apart from lies and to learn what is real in my life, in this world, there are already too many fake people.. . in this world you have to be quick witted and smart.

• The Asian girl: which one is the before? if it's the smaller one... why would they even touch it? it looks 10 x!!! better than the wide weird one~ o.0
    ... and the kim one wow!~... that's a big difference~... I don't know the others but it's like the entire world is a lie~...

• I would say this video is when Photoshop goes to far XD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnvoz91k8hc

• Bahaha i knew something was off with Kylie.

• I don't really fall for photoshop but I completly agree with the "never try to achieve someone else's body" I have friends/family who say they like my body and want the same when I feel that same way about girls in my school, it's a never ending cycle. I think that they shouldn't Photoshop every picture, some aren't necessary, unrealistic and even though we don't fall for it, younger girls can.

• I never fall into the photoshop trap as I am smart enough to know what is fake, therefore I am proud to say I have never had body issues in my life. I have also never photoshopped my body. If I am going to have a bit of a tummy, so be it There are other things to worry about.

I am quite happy with my body and I am perfectly content with it. Nothing wrong with my body at all. I don't base my life around pleasing dudes with how big my boobs are, how big my butt is and whether I have a thigh gap. I just exercise regularly and I eat right. Therefore, I have a beautiful body because of it. Never had any complaints while making love to a man. I like being real and I think those arses look freaking ridiculous. That sh** ain't cute!

I reckon those women should just... I don't know, get a hobby or something.

• some of them are not even photoshopped u guys can't tell the difference between something being phtotoshopped and just at a better angle and lighting with better clothes or something sometimes like the ones where you dont have an exact picture of before and after and just two different pics (kylie and amber) and i think someone photoshopped the original kim k pic to make it look even worse than it actually is and fro a couple the original version look sway better the photoshopped version like the Asian girl and mostly all of the ones with bigger butts and the lady in the gray dress

• PhotoShop is part of our life. I don't believe completely every picture I see on internet. Even filtering is a photo shopping anyway.
    The thing is PhotoShop should be used moderately. It shouldn't give delusional idea of the human body.

• Yeah because basically every picture we see posted by a mayor source is photoshopped.

Also eww kate upton

• Yeah. Its sad.

• It really doesn't matter, but here you go.

hellogiggles.com/classic-hollywood-photoshop

• I don't think it matters if people are photoshopped..

• Nice take :)
    However i dont think Kylie Jenner belongs in this take- her posts weren't photo shopped. The first photos are photos she wasn't ready for/wasnt posing in, and the second she was. Everyone looks different in their instagram selfies- doesn't mean she's 'fake'.

• Not really unrealistic standards. I'm a size zero and I don't even exercise that much and I don't starve myself. Besides, anyone who looks at celeb photos and thinks oh I must look like this because it's real is either a complete moron or is too young and immature to even look at anything other than Barney anyway. Oh PS Kate upton looks like shit either way, even photoshop can't help her. 😂😂

• I don't find a size zero unrealistic. None of the photos were shopped to look like a size zero.

• As the take owner said, these girls aren't photoshopped into being size 0.. They are shopped into having small waists, big hips ass and breasts and clean, smooth skin - that is completely different from just being thin. Just because you are naturally skinny, does it not mean it's that easy for everyone. Believe it or not, but there are people who are different from you out there..

• I'm a size zero too, but my body is not shaped like theirs. for someone my size, it would be impossible to ever get boobs like Kate Upton's or a butt like Kim's.

• I really don't see what the big deal about it is.

• Unrealistic standards

• @mutedaisy no, it creates unrealistic standards for the general public.

• @mutedaisy @Take Owner It only creates unrealistic standards for insecure people who are not confident with what they have. We all should have the capacity to know what a real woman's body looks like naturally. Just because someone has Photoshopped pics its not going to make everyone else go omg I have to look like her to some yes but not everyone. All models and entertainers pics are not Photoshopped to the point where their body parts or bigger or smaller and their skin tones are different or what not. As a graphic designer who has Photoshopped models pics the most I have done is airbrush photos and change hair or eye color and makeup color or photo-manipulation for scenery. Sometimes are extreme but its not the majority. The real issue here is that women are not accepting themselves and worrying about Photoshopped pics and silicone barbies. Love yourself create your own standard of acceptance.

• I don't like Kate Upton at all. She has a pretty face, but other than that-there's nothing going for her :/

• Ikr I don't understand how she was voted most beautiful/sexy woman or whatever it was or how she is even a model at all. That is one badly built woman.

• I smell jealousy...

• Just because I don't find someone pretty, it means I'm jealous? No. My Woman crushes are Selena Gomez and Blake Lively.
      They are gorgeous and perfect :0

• Amber Rose's first picture isn't photoshopped, she got her butt done + she gained weight. But I completely agree that these are misleading to people who have certain goals

• Funny thing is, most of them got worse or are just disproportionate/unrealistic lmao xD

• Wait, is that really what Kim Kardashian looked like before?

• Wow this is actually really interesting, I knew that a lot were photoshopped but I didn't realize how much

• Thanks! That was the goal :)

• More from Girls
    9