Ladies Guide For Prom Without The Large Price Tag

So let's get real here. Prom is very expensive, and it can really make a big dent in your wallet. When you look at it you have the 'Promposal', dress, shoes, hair, nails, tux rental, limo/car, dinner, and other random accessories.

At my own prom, I tried to cut costs as much as possible since I wasnted to save my money for other things that I wanted. I hope these tips help those of you who are going to prom.

Prom Dresses

I know for us girls that the dress we wear is a really big deal, but the thing is, you are probably only going to wear it once. And let's be honest, $300+ for just a dress, is a lot of money to spend for one night.

My suggestion would be this:

• Buy a dress used: The person before you only wore it once, and you can get a lot of money off and still wear a beautiful and expensive dress
  • Go to boutiques and places they sell prom dresses at after prom season. Chances are you could potentially find a beautiful dress on sale, and nobody would know but you.
  • Go to thrift shops and consignment stores. A lot of times people just donate dresses because they can't sell them.
  • Check "Buy and sell" groups in your area on sites like Facebook. Girls will be trying to sell their dresses, and usually its 75% off or so of the original price tag.
  • Buy a dress that you can wear more than once. Stores like "Pinupgirlclothing.com" and "tatyana.com" have retro reproductions of dresses, and are timeless pieces that are both approproate for prom and other special occassions. They are expensive off hand, but at least you will be getting more than one use out of the dress. And sometimes these dresses have a better fit to them due to being made for different body shapes.

Prom Shoes

For shoes, comfort is key. Wear something comfortable that won't hurt your feet from dancing or walking around for the 'grand march'. A lot of girls take their shoes off while dancing, so if you think you will do this, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on them.

First off, look in your closet. Is there any shoes that are super comfy yet will go with your dress? Or is there a pair you could DIY to fit your dress I mean we've all seen the glitter sole tutorial on youtube, right?

If you can't find any that you would like to wear, check places like Marshals, TJ Maxx, Kohls, Target, Payless, etc. The shoes at these places are very reasonably priced, and should fit your needs. If all fails, silver or black shoes go with everything, and can be easily worn again.

Accessories/Nails/Hair/Makeup

I'll be honest here, this is the place to be cheap. It's the best place to cut costs.

Hair:

Do your hair yourself or have a friend help you! There are a ton of hair tutorials on Youtube and Instagram. Practice your hairstyle the week in advance, and you'll have it down the day you go to prom :)

Nails:

Personally, I never got my nails done for prom. I shopped my nail polish collection and used what I had. You could always buy a nice nailpolish from the drugstore (Essie, OPI, Wet n Wild, and Revlon have really nice polishes). Or you could try those nail strips, which work really well.

Makeup:

When I went to prom, the girls around me had to go to Mac and Sephora to buy the items they wanted for prom AND get their face done for that special day. I'll be honest, sometimes getting your makeup done by a professional doesn't mean it will look professional. Like with hairstyles, there are a lot of tutorials on Youtube. I would suggest practicing different looks all week and finding one you like, and sticking to it. I would also skip on buying new makeup and use what you love, or maybe buying a new lipstick or eyeshadow for fun :)

Accessories:

Again, I would shop your closet first, and ask your mom/close relatives if they have any jewelry you could wear. If you are having a hard time finding jewelry, try a store like Claires. They have reasonably prices jewelry, and it looks amazing. You could also try antique stores, and markets. A lot of vintage jewelry has a great prom look to it, and it is also made better than newer things nowadays.

Prom Dinner

Talk this one over with your date first. My suggestion is to stick to a budget and each of you pay half the bill. Look for coupons online, and see if you can get extra money off or 'free appetizers' if you sign up for their mailing list. It all adds up at the end.

Ride/Limo

If you are going to do something along the lines of a limo, try to find other couples to go with. Not only will you have a lot more fun, but you can also split up the bill.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 8

• I never went. Not interested in paying $400 for a dance.

• This is really good advice for teens that have jobs.

For the teens whose parents are going to pay they don't give a fuck.

• I meant it towards those who have to buy their own.
      And thank you :)

• Nice joke

Kids these days are spoiled

• It's a good thing I saved my money. I was going to go with this girl but two weeks before it was Prom, her boyfriend told me her and her boyfriend were playing a prank on me (I never knew she had a boyfriend.) To make it worse, her boyfriend never did like me, so he did it because of his "beef" with me.

But luckily, I didn't spend my money on anything.

• I didn't even go to prom in high school but honestly could care less.

• To each their own, just trying to help some young ladies out is all.

• What the fuck. You Americans are so weird.
    Where I live our 'prom' is not nearly as important to anyone.

• To each their own.

• prom is overrated af honestly like damn

• It is, but it can be fun as well.

• Prom is kind of a scam... I got away with spending less than $200 luckily. If I had paid for a date it would be closer to $300, kind of ridiculous.

What Girls Said 14

• This is very helpful. Thank you. :)

• I had mine last Saturday actually and it was really fun. The theme for prom was really good to. And they played such great music. I got my prom dress only for $100 dollars, I didn't feel like spending $400 dollars on a prom dress when I'm only gonna wear it once. I'm so glad I went especially since its my last year. At least I have a memory to look back on when I graduate.

• I went to some more expensive shops but looked at their clearence rack. My dress was about $89 which was cheaper than dresses at jcpenny or tjmaxx.
    I just did my own make up and hair, i mean by the end if the night you look like a train wreck anyway.

• you do lol
      I had that problem too.

• I should have read this before my prom but I will keep it in mind for next year

• Hope it helps you in the future x

• I think it's lovely that you did this because some people really don't know how to get the most out of their money.

• Thanks doll and I agree with you. Unless you grow up around people who do this kind of stuff, its not common.

• Nice take. At my school, no one has ever ridden a limo to prom. It seems like a very American thing. On the other hand, I've also never heard of anyone selling their prom dress on or renting a prom dress. Is that just in the US as well?

• It might just be an American thing

• Lol. I got a dress for only 6 dollars. (I converted it to USD cuz im not from USA) I got my shoes on sale for about 20. I did my own make up and hair. I copied the hair of that blonde girl from game of thrones. Lol. Everyone said i was stunning. I guess buying expensive clothes is not worth it if you're only gonna use it once. Being pretty and stunning doesn't mean you have to wear expensive stuffs. You just have to be yourself, save up for more important things.

• Aw nice :)

• I think you forgot to as a zero behind every number you said... O. O

• Seriously i only got my dress for 6 dollars on a korean store. It was on sale probablybecause it is not that appealing. My dress was plain black with a little bit of laces. And the shoes wAs on sale too. I didn't forget to put zero and besides I don't have a lot of money.

• My dress was new and only $99 free shipping I only paid extra after to get alterations. My shoes were only $30. A friend did my hair, I did my own makeup and my cousin did my nails. There was no need for a limo. People need to learn to bargain shop. It's prom not a wedding lol. All he girls spent hundreds on hair, their dress, shoes and even had their make up professionally done. What's funny is they all went to the malls for dresses and I was one of the handful that can say I didn't have on anything that another girl was wearing. I've only been to a handful of formals and my first one was in middle school and I wore the prom dress that my mom wore in 12th grade it was custom made and was still in style she wore it 20 years ago I wore it 10 years ago and I still think its timeless. There is nothing wrong with a used dress it saves you money and you really need to prioritize especially as a senior having to buy cap and gown and whatever else.

• i loved my prom

• I never went to prom

• I already have plans for my prom dress. My mom is having it made special just for me.

• Wow! I wish I could have that experience just once! We don't have prom here...

• Prom is just like a formal event, there's nothing much more than that about it!

• so the prom queen did not turn her life around after winning the title, and there was no change of heart and nobody found that special someone to spend the rest of their lives with

well... that is disappointing...

• Yea :/ Well you never know haha.

• Nice, prom is this days more commercial shit. Look at all people buying all this clothes for no reason. For 1 day haha

• Exactly.
      haha.
      I went, but I made sure I had a budget. I was only out $100 the first prom and $200 the second (though I bought a more expensive dress that I wore to a few weddings that year) and that's all including dinner/the ticket

• Wauw... are primdresses in Amerika really that expensive? I had 8 grade prom last. It wasn't readdy prom and nobody was like prom dressed uo except me bc I like it. A got a short prom dress for 150 euro... and it's like really 'prommy'

• Here in America prom can be expensive as a wedding haha.