Plus-Size Models Get More Buzz Everyday - Is It About Time?

A new trend that is emerging in the fashion and beauty industry is that elite modelling is no longer a profession open to only the tall, pretty and thin. In recent history, such a small percentage of society has dominated the depiction and idealization of the female form, that very few real women have been able to actualize the 'look' that almost every beauty brand promotes in it's subtextual mantra: Thin is beautiful.

But it seems like a new movement in the industry has taken shape: the Plus-size modelling phenomena. A lot of people so far have had mixed reactions to it. Many applause it and other deplore. A lot of women on social media have expressed that these models are not even 'plus-sized', that instead they are actually the 'average' or 'normal' sized depiction of an everyday women in North America.

Size does matter. And this will continue to be a hot issue for some time to come as more shapes and sizes, and more varied representations of beauty flood the scene than ever before. It can be interpreted as a more inclusive and more a realistic trend, than the almost unacheivable ideals young women have been influenced into accepting.

Meet the models who buck the trend of having to strive endlessly for the unattainable; bodily perfection. Who are defying all that's been marketed to them, and who have set out to create another standard of beauty, that utimately might be more appealing to women and men. And that just might be their biggest plus!

Meet the Plus-Size Models

Ashley Graham, @theashleygraham

A photo posted by A S H L E Y ✨ G R A H A M ™ (@theashleygraham) on

Danielle Redman, @redmansworld

A photo posted by Danielle Redman 🐎 (@redmansworld) on

Julie Henderson, @JulieHenderson32

A photo posted by juliehenderson32 (@juliehenderson32) on

Inga Eiriksdottir, @ingaerla

A photo posted by Inga Eiriksdottir (@ingaerla) on

Marquita Pring, @marquitapring

A photo posted by marquitapring (@marquitapring) on

Meet the Plus-Size Bloggers

And to see the trend gain footing in the Fashion world, here are some of the most popular plus size fashionista bloggers right now who write and promote plus-size fashion. They try to convey how a piece of clothing might look on an everyday woman’s body and inspires people to think outside the traditional fashion box, and to try new things by breaking some fashion rules.

Inside Allie’s World, @alliemcgev

A photo posted by Allie (@alliemcgev) on

Lalaa Misaki, @lalaamisaki

A photo posted by L∆L∆∆ MIS∆KI (@lalaamisaki) on

Ashley Rose, @thisisashrose

A photo posted by Ashley Rose (@thisisashrose) on

Beauticurve, @iambeauticurve

A photo posted by Rochelle Johnson (@iambeauticurve) on

Tiny Red Shoes, @Tinyredshoes

A photo posted by Jessica Torres (@tinyredshoes) on

What's your take on this emerging trend? Did we miss anyone that should be on this list? Let us know in the comments. And if you're plus-size and proud, leave a photo too!

gagTake is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 69

• Honestly, the girls on the top should be considered normal. That is So not "plus".

The plus size models look normal too, that Danielle Redman girl is actually still a bit underweight based on looks.

The plus size bloggers seem a bit bigger than their natural weight, that doesn't look that healthy, unfortunately.

But finally all this skinny nonsense is going down the drain. People legitimately died from organ failure because of how abnormal the whole trend was - and I don't know a single person who actually found them attractive.

• Danielle Redman is not underweight.. She's just not as fat, yes, fat as the other girls. Maybe you ought to do so me research and not call a healthy girl underweight.

• @DisastrousQu33n she looks underweight to me, based on her arms. I can't seem to find any data about her actual weight, so I can't check for certain.

• Few of these models doesn't seem like plus size which have been shown above. Apart from that our society is full of obese people and we are still trending towards obesity. I don't think "thin is pretty" case is right either. In our society instead of embracing obesity and start trending plus size (which will be trended of course because we are an obese society) we should trend healthy normal sizes. Define sizes which are in the range of healthy as we say certain range of BMI is healthy. And women in those sizes should be trended.

Our biggest flaw is that we do not think that our fashion has flaws, whether it is plus size of 00 size models. We need to create something in the middle of both extremes.

Well, this is my take on this take, :)

• The second pic or I guess third pic that says Redman, she is really thin... Was she added for a comparison?

• Obesity kills more people per year than terrorism, and I will never agree with the glamorization of obesity. The plus sized models weren't obese, but the some of the bloggers definitely are.

• So thick that everybody else in the room is so uncomfortable...

• Seriously, enough of the cottage cheese legs and asses, and the advocacy of laziness. The only time that women can be justifiably fat is when they are pregnant. Promotion of the "love your body" ideal just makes people less motivated to stay healthy. Scientifically speaking, obese women have a much higher chance of having strokes/heart attacks. Not to mention, general mobility is certainly hindered; how is a fat woman going to ever run/walk as efficiently as a skinnier woman? Basic physics shows that it is much harder for obese women to do basic tasks such as walking and running.

• I agree, I hate the body positive initiative, all it does is pass off over weight unhealthy lazy people as "beautiful"

@Mongo112323 women don't have to be skinny or slim to be found attractive. I think some people forget that the media and fashion industries dont just cater for skinny to slim women. Or to suit your preferences. Well you've certainly picked the right username. Lol!

• I'll forever be fighting against Fat Acceptance movement

• Those women are not plus sized. If you can see your feet when you stand straight up, then you're not plus-sized. But hey, whatever get's rid of anorexia.

• lol love this comment. but also consider the size of the chest. If I look strait down, all I see is boobs. I'm not a small girl but at least if I push my boobs back I can see my feet. That actually made me feel good. Not everyone would agree with you and that is kind of sad.

• awesome now can they do the same thing for guys. they are obviously doing this because they want to expand their target demo graphic and by finally allowing different kinds of girls to model for different size dresses makes them seem modest. this is a result of companies trying to race to look good at being the first to do something. however it shows to the world that only girls and women are allowed to have flaws. it is the witch hunt for men. today if a man does not look like a male model from GQ or a magazine her doesn't stand a chance hardly. look at the new batman movie coming out. wonder woman is small compared to how she is depicted in the comics where as every man has to be good looking or model quality. the problem isn't the fact that girls are going to be given more verity. the problem will be wither or not the let it go to their heads and try to use it as a way to establish false self-esteem. "i look like a model so I am suppose to have a model life and a model boyfriend". that's just not reality and we are still recovering form what twilight did to women s minds

• I actually knew Marquita when I was younger.

• fuck yeah, can I shake your hand one day bro!

• No she was just another person, but she was very nice. Helped me through a few things. Based on what I've seen on her Instagram she's still a down to earth person.

• I don't get why someone down voted this, that would be an oddly specific thing to just make up.

• Yes and no. It's fine when they're curvy because walking skeletons are awful. But plus-sized is a common word for fat, even medically obese girls. So if an unhealthy lifestyle is what you want to promote, go right ahead.

Fat-acceptance is getting silly at times. It's scientifically impossible to be 'healthy at any size'. It's a euphemism fat girls use so they aren't confronted with the fact they should shove less food in their mouths. Get your big butt of the couch and start moving. You don't have a slow metabolism or screwed genetics unless it's medically proven to be, which is a small fraction of the entire population.

Bottom line: I am fat too, but at least I realize it's grossly unhealthy and try to fix it. BBW models are promoting laziness, plain and simple. Look, it's fine if you want to be fat, many people are. But don't flaunt it like it's a healthy thing to be. But that's the entitlement culture we live in today, everything has to be normal and accepted.

And oh yeah, where is the fat-acceptance movement for guys? There barely isn't any because fat-acceptance is powered by feminism. That is all.

• 👏👏👏

• Man, no one is even straight on what that is though. There are medical studies that show life expectancies for overweight and obese category people to be longer and general health to be better than those of people in normal, underweight, and morbidly obese classes. While obese people trend towards certain kinds of diseases it is unknown if this is cause or if their is a common cause. So for starters, we clearly don't actually know what healthy size is exactly exept that is probably not either extreme.

Secondly people have a piss poor concept of what certain sizes actually look like with the trend being that a person is actually thinner than what they categorize them as. So someone with a normal BMI is a size 8-12 but people think of normal as sizes 0-5 or 3-8. Body positivity is important. The media should embrace what real people look like. Why is no one who hates this fat movement outraged that the media has been portraying an image which fosters young women to be mentally ill?

• Lastly, the phrase "healthy at any size" does not equate "any size is healthy," rather that general health is not necisarily marked by a certain size and varies from individual to individual. Obviously at extremes they will not be healthy, because if they were healthy they would not be such an extreme size. People who are so large they have difficulty walking would not be healthy because they have difficulty walking. It is damn time to shift the focus from size to health. There is an almost stupid presumption that because a person is thin or the right size that they are healthy, and this is also absolutely not the case. There are plenty of people who eat terribly and can't handle a flight of stairs who are 'healthy size,' size is just not a totally relevant factor.

• I'm not plus sized >: I'm frikin fabulous.

• I personally find about 95% of women beautiful either through personality or looks, I think women's sizes should be just like men's because men come in all shapes sizes and so do Women. I think more emphasis should be put on health. Knowledge is power did you know that for every one pound of fat you have on your body it requires an extra kilometer, that right 1 Kilometer of blood vessels to supply it with blood. Which is hard on your heart. So you can either let that knowledge get you down or use that as motivation to keep yourself healthy. Use all of those ads as fuel for your motivation fire, to be healthy. I will agree we live in a sex obsessed, and vanity driven society, but we all have been blessed to live in a way that we are allowed to make choices. I do however think that if we educate ourselves and stop feeling sorry for ourselves and make a dedicated effort we wouldn't be putting crap into our bodies, we would sit in front of the tv less, maybe childhood obesity would lessen. Maybe we would make better choices for ourselves. Instead of attacking and defending look inwards to see what you want for yourself.

• I think its good to see plus-sized models. To be honest, I think the whole skinny and tall thing is creepy looking. Like a tough wind can blow them over. I've met plenty of big and beautiful women, nothing wrong with that. But if the model is clearly borderline obese, then yes we gotta do a little thing with change. Otherwise, some people are born bigger than others and there's nothing wrong with that.

• Skinny and tall is terrible. But so is being obese. And no, people aren't born bigger unless they have a rare genetic disease. It's all in the upbringing and a lack of self-control of the parents. Often feeding your child until it's fat means the child will be obese for life. A sad truth.

• I'm not static it like it's an absolute fact. Hence I prefaced it with "Often".

• "And no, people aren't born bigger unless they have a rare genetic disease." sounds like you are trying to state facts.

• I personally think this whole "plus size" thing has gotten out of control used to be it was for bigger women but now its a labeling trend for obesity and an excuse for men and women who dont want to take control of their bad eating habits and can't admit they have a problem

• The fashion industry does need to change. Models are far too skinny, bony and angular. Its definitely not an attractive or healthy physique. Fashion media such as the Victoria's Secret fashion show propagates eating disorders, poor body image and unhealthily views on femininity and sexuality.

Even some guys get ridiculous expectations when it comes to girls' bodies. Expecting thigh gaps and a completely flat stomach. Rejecting girls with thighs that touch or girls of a healthy body weight.

Things have to change.

Plus size models have the right idea, but they're taking it a little too far in the other direction. They're supporting an unhealthy body type too. They are a bit over weight, some of them bordering on obese. But they are insisting that they're beautiful and that women should be healthy. Thats hypocritical. Its unhealthy.

Whatever is healthy and attractive should be what models look like. I personally think an attractive body type is whatever amount of fat a woman can have without muffin top. A bit of fat is actually very healthy and attractive.

• "Even some guys get ridiculous expectations when it comes to girls' bodies. Expecting thigh gaps and a completely flat stomach"

And what exactly is wrong with personal preference? I think thigh gaps are incredibly sexy and so are flat stomachs. You can still have a gap + flat stomach while being a few pounds overweight, nothing wrong with that. It's hypocritical to think that men's standards have to change while most women rub their clits to muscular men with huge dicks. Most people love perfection when it comes to modeling and sexualization, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I agree with the rest of your post though!

• @Remonster are you suggesting that thigh gaps and super skinny women are "perfection' or most men's standard?

Because from what I can gather most guys do not actually like thigh gaps and a petite physique, but instead prefer a little "thickness" on a girl.

• I think a girl is gud as a model if she is flat on tummy.. I dont like skinny bony models at all..

• I'm not really picky, when you're a fucking loser who women won't even give the time of day to, you gotta take what you can get.

• most of these women aren't fat at all, they're just at healthy weights for thicker body types

• Love plus size girl so so hot!

• I dislike fat people instinctively. But most of these chicks are a little chubby to just a wee bit on the heavy side... They're perfectly acceptable as normal human beings...

• More from Guys
    49

What Girls Said 64

• Yes, the models do look great - and healthy. =)

• @Remonster basically said everything I thought - spot on!

I personally feel like it's a promotion of an unhealthy way of living. Instead of accepting they're overweight and try to lose weight for their own health, they try to change people's views on them by making people feel bad for encouraging healthy lifestyles.

This site basically sums it all perfectly, showing how overweight people warp anything to make out like they're being attacked all the time so people will be too scared to speak up. The people on there also don't believe you can be "healthy at every size" (HAES), but that's what overweight people made up to justify their weight. http://www.reddit.com/r/fatlogic

I've seen a lot of documentaries about popular overweight people who have supposedly become confident in themselves but you can tell that it's a false confidence, they're not actually happy with themselves but they put that front up to try to dissuade haters.

One popular blogger who was overweight, that insisted she was happy with herself and healthy, decided to lose weight because she wanted to start a family (she obviously wasn't that healthy) but all her fans turned against her! They should be supporting her but they did the opposite and she became popular through being overweight. I really don't understand what these people are thinking.

• oh so I guess being comfortable with your own body, even if its shunned by society means you're makin people feel bad about being healthy."became popular by being over weight" these women are models, they were already in a sort of spotlight, the fact that they're overweight is a "plus" in a way because it encourages other women who struggle with weight to see themselves with the same body as someone in a magazine and think "she's beautiful, maybe I'm beautiful too". of COURSE these people put in a front. they're ridiculed by society and you expect them to show how they really feel? I mean these people just can't win."oh you hate your body? well maybe you shouldn't be lazy and do something about it!" "oh you accept your body? well I don't it's unhealthy to my standards and you need to lose weight so that I can actually see you for you, and not the overweight, confident problem that you somehow are to me because of my limited logic and lack of fucking intelligence." that's what you sound like.

• Lol fatlogic makes me so angry haha. And I'm saying that as a medically obese guy. Maybe it's because I love science and hate it when people ignore the facts to stay in their comfort bubble.

• @Remonster fatlogic is great but you start seeing it in life regularly and it angers you! Yeah, it's the complete ignorance and blame shifting that annoys me, how can people deny the facts so intensely? Like people assume I don't eat much or I'm lucky because I'm "thin". It's not that I don't eat much, nor is it luck. I just understand the body and more importantly, my body and what it requires. I have self control and know when too much is too much but to those people shown on fatlogic, I'm the devil itself because I'm "thin privileged"

• I think it's great that they're shining light on "plus-size women" because the media often only shows "underweight" models so many people think they have to be skinny and start bad habits. When the media shows bigger people too, it let's people know that they don't have to be a size 0. Most plus size models are just average size women considered plus size for not being a zero so I'm all for it

• I am going to be downvoted like crazy. But I prefer fashion models to model clothes. It just looks better on them! I am sorry but I can't just lie

• Diversity is great and all, but both ends of the extremes should not be promoted (anorexia/bulimia/EDNOS or obesity).

• Most of them aren't even that big to be honest. They're more like a healthy weight, or slightly overweight.

• Tis about time. Guys dont want to admit the body can change overtime after childbirth and thyroid problems. Even guys get fat too. Eat your shorts.

• Lol. Thyroid problems... My dad has it and he's not a fat guy. Why? Because he controls his diet dispite of his condition. The ignorance is astounding.

• remonster - there is under active and over active thyroid. Childbirth affects the thyroid too.

So stop being a dickhead about it. Like you know what its like being a woman after all the hormonal changes from childbirth.

• hmm I see a double chin in the picture. Look who is calling the girls fat. The joke's on you.

• it's fine as long as they are healthy

• hehe awesome :)

• I don't think we should endorse being overweight due to health reasons however I also know many of thin models are also unhealthy, promoting obesity is wrong but this trend is a step in the right direction because I think the plus sized vs thin models will balance out eventually. I look forward to sized that are achievable through proper diet and exercise. Models will always be more beautiful than an average girl because that's why they are models but if we can do away with sizes 0 and 20 and go for healthy sizes like maybe 6 I think we will see a decrease in eating disorders because we will not try to obtain the unattainable. This is just my personal opinion and I mean no one any offence

• Rather than height and weight, models should have a certain BMI. So the ones who are just fat get the boot.

• probably just a US thing

• I feel that people are told inn to understand that this isn't about "fat acceptance". No matter what size your at you should be okay with yourself. If your overweight and totally fine with it that fine because it your life, but you shouldn't be forced to feel like shot because your okay with yourself. If you close to live that lifestyle then it's okay to like the why you look or be considered attractive.
    If your losing weight healthily them you should also have a positive body image of your preexisting body. You should be able to say "yes if like to change my body, but I still love myself", instead of what I do which is staring in the mirror and thinking "oh my god I'm so fat, I need to lose 10lbs. No body will ever like me because I'm so fat". Losing weight in healthy weighs should come from a healthy mindset. My weightless has not come from a healthy mindset so I've felt the need to starve myself to fit into some shorts. But maybe if I'm comfortable with myself at any size I don't feel a need to do crazy things because even not at my best I look great.
    Also if a big woman liking herself gives you this much distress then I'm thinking maybe you have a negative view of yourself as bigger so you project that hated ideal onto other people. No one should completely hate their body okay. I've done it and it sucks, but the worst thing is hating you body and making everyone else hate their body because of it.

• These woman aren't "plus-sized" they're just normal. I think it's good to have normal women as models. Not really skinny ones but not too heavy ones either. It reaches out to more people as more people can 'relate' to their body. Plus they give an actual representation of what clothes look like on a body. Sometimes I see clothes on models and they look fab, then I put them on and I'm like 'fuck!' as I am waaaay shorter than all these models. (162cm)

• That's what I was thinking I didn't see much plus sized woman, maybe when it comes to the "Size 0 perfection" in modeling they are considered plus sized.

• Yeah I don't mind and if your confident with your body then your already beautiful! The only thing I hate is when heavier people try to banish and reprimand skinnier people.

• If Danielle Redmond and that Inga one are plus sized I must be the size of a barn - just saying.

• They are just big boned.

• This was overdue.

• This made me think, I don't know that i've ever seen a plus size male model..

• I really don't understand how a few of these models can be considered 'plus-sized'. Wtf?

• It's a bit of weird selection. Some look at a normal, healthy weight while others should be labeled obese plain and simple.

• @Remonster and @Tigerlilly
      Ill tell you why. Because the aim behind this is apparently designed to make women who are size 14 stop thinking they have to be size 8 to fit in... A lot of women have made posts and videos like this, and all have received massive HATE and CRITICISM, because either there was not enough black women, they weren't fat enough, or they weren't skinny enough...
      I am slim and since this fat craze, I have had lots of women call me skinny and look at me as if I have a disease. I am actually 184cm 79kg and I am proud of my muscle tone and physique. I just don't drink protein shakes or take steroids.
      Its not "ok" to be obese or overweight. This is merely a bunch of housewives who once considered themselves to be the "high school hotties". They let themselves go, and blamed their children or their career choices. Now they make videos to help build self esteem.
      A fat woman who thinks she is hot, is 10 times more of a bitch than a skinny one.

• More from Girls
    44