Plus-Size Models Get More Buzz Everyday - Is It About Time?

gagTake a

A new trend that is emerging in the fashion and beauty industry is that elite modelling is no longer a profession open to only the tall, pretty and thin. In recent history, such a small percentage of society has dominated the depiction and idealization of the female form, that very few real women have been able to actualize the 'look' that almost every beauty brand promotes in it's subtextual mantra: Thin is beautiful.

But it seems like a new movement in the industry has taken shape: the Plus-size modelling phenomena. A lot of people so far have had mixed reactions to it. Many applause it and other deplore. A lot of women on social media have expressed that these models are not even 'plus-sized', that instead they are actually the 'average' or 'normal' sized depiction of an everyday women in North America.

Size does matter. And this will continue to be a hot issue for some time to come as more shapes and sizes, and more varied representations of beauty flood the scene than ever before. It can be interpreted as a more inclusive and more a realistic trend, than the almost unacheivable ideals young women have been influenced into accepting.

Meet the models who buck the trend of having to strive endlessly for the unattainable; bodily perfection. Who are defying all that's been marketed to them, and who have set out to create another standard of beauty, that utimately might be more appealing to women and men. And that just might be their biggest plus!

Meet the Plus-Size Models

Ashley Graham, @theashleygraham

A photo posted by A S H L E Y ✨ G R A H A M β„’ (@theashleygraham) on

Danielle Redman, @redmansworld

A photo posted by Danielle Redman 🐎 (@redmansworld) on

Julie Henderson, @JulieHenderson32

A photo posted by juliehenderson32 (@juliehenderson32) on

Inga Eiriksdottir, @ingaerla

A photo posted by Inga Eiriksdottir (@ingaerla) on

Marquita Pring, @marquitapring

A photo posted by marquitapring (@marquitapring) on

Meet the Plus-Size Bloggers

And to see the trend gain footing in the Fashion world, here are some of the most popular plus size fashionista bloggers right now who write and promote plus-size fashion. They try to convey how a piece of clothing might look on an everyday woman’s body and inspires people to think outside the traditional fashion box, and to try new things by breaking some fashion rules.

Inside Allie’s World, @alliemcgev

A photo posted by Allie (@alliemcgev) on

Lalaa Misaki, @lalaamisaki

A photo posted by Lβˆ†Lβˆ†βˆ† MISβˆ†KI (@lalaamisaki) on

Ashley Rose, @thisisashrose

A photo posted by Ashley Rose (@thisisashrose) on

Beauticurve, @iambeauticurve

A photo posted by Rochelle Johnson (@iambeauticurve) on

Tiny Red Shoes, @Tinyredshoes

A photo posted by Jessica Torres (@tinyredshoes) on

What's your take on this emerging trend? Did we miss anyone that should be on this list? Let us know in the comments. And if you're plus-size and proud, leave a photo too!

76
66

Most Helpful Guy

• WizardSnake
    It's great that people accept their own bodies. But in my opinion, those cheering for plus size models aren't fooling anyone but themselves.

According to bodyfat charts, women above 32% bodyfat are obese, and several of these women are above 32%. Tiny Red Shoes, Ashley Rose, Lalaa Misaki, and Alliemcgev are not healthy, they are obese, which in my opinion is totally fine, and it is their life style choice, and they should be allowed to live their lives however they please.

But it's very silly and pretty ignorant to claim that the lifestyle they are living is "healthy", and that the lifestyle of the plus-size women are healthier than the lifestyle of the fit women such as Danielle and Inga.

In my opinion, unhealthy lifestyles should not be encouraged, however all lifestyles should be accepted, after all, obesity is linked to higher mortality rate (higher incidence of vasular diseases, cancers, etc.), increased healthcare costs to the society, and generally to a worse quality of life.

In a a odd and slightly perverted way, plus size and obese women are pointing fingers at the fit and skinny girls out there, claiming that they're the unhealthy ones, and by doing so they are in a way trying to justify that being fat is natural, and that there is nothing wrong with neglecting physical exercise and eating healthy. I'm sure this way they feel a lot less guilty when they stuff themselves with deep-fried junk and high fructose corn syrup containing beverages.

I just wish people could focus more on themselves and not having the need to trash talk other groups of people due to their own lack of confidence and self-image issues.
    Is this still revelant?
    • kohricex

Couldn't have been said better. Instead of accepting these ridiculous trends people should worry about their overall health. Fit, "thin" models actually work hard by exercising and eating healthy to keep those bodies.

• vinca00

Agreed! Well said!

• Remonster

Yeah you're right. Absolutely right.

Most Helpful Girl

• LittleSally
    Yes, the models do look great - and healthy. =)
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

6575
  • COCOCHANEL
    it's fine as long as they are healthy
    • Remonster

They're not though. Not the obese models.

• MichelleJustAsking
    I have to be honest. I'm tired of these discussions because it's focusing on the WRONG issue, which is the size/weight of women, instead of their health.

Being thin/skinny doesn't mean someone has an eating disorder, anymore than being curvier indicated someone eats too much.

What matter is whether or not a woman is taking care of her body with proper physical excursion and fueling herself with proper nutrients.

The reason why the average American woman is not stick thin, isn't because being larger is "normal" or "healthy"; it's because of our lifestyle and NOT taking care of ourselves the way we ought to.

The focus needs to be moved from physical appearance. Simply trying to promote average female bodies, is STILL focusing on the physical. It's dangerous ground to constantly focus on the physical instead of the characteristics of the women. Focusing the physical is toxic... whether looking at "perfect thin runway models" or looking at "curvy is better/normal".

Neither look is better than the other. Only respecting your body by taking care of it, is what is important.
    • Remonster

Nah, you're talking nonsense. You can focus on the physical because diet and looks are related. And neither is better than the other? Science disagrees.

• sobg71124
    I LOVE how the 100% natural, curvy women that I am already so attracted to are actually getting attention as models! Although a couple are on the heavy side (there is a fine line between curvy and overweight), most are simply average size! Everything is different about these women as compared to the miserable, bony, starving waifs that slink their way down the aisle. Just glance at the photo of the 9 girls above. They are all genuinely smiling, glowing actually. None are wearing makeup. None have tattoos, or are wearing jewelry, or have dyed their hair. And they are in their underwear only. They are just about as natural as can be! This is a wonderful thing, because a woman is infinitely more attractive the more natural she is, as well. They really have so much going for them Several of them have very similar bodies to girlfriends I've had, and to whom I was highly attracted. I am really surprised they didn't include my six favorite models, however: Chloe Marshall, Tara Lynn, Denise Bidot, Sabine Gruchet, Kaela Humphries, and Candice Huffine. Not sure this will work, but here is a photo of Tara Lynn. I will give her a strong "9" rating here (because no one can be literally perfect!)
    www.morbidalavita.com/.../...plus-size-model-3.jpg
  • DaveyYourFavey
    The fashion industry does need to change. Models are far too skinny, bony and angular. Its definitely not an attractive or healthy physique. Fashion media such as the Victoria's Secret fashion show propagates eating disorders, poor body image and unhealthily views on femininity and sexuality.

Even some guys get ridiculous expectations when it comes to girls' bodies. Expecting thigh gaps and a completely flat stomach. Rejecting girls with thighs that touch or girls of a healthy body weight.

Things have to change.

Plus size models have the right idea, but they're taking it a little too far in the other direction. They're supporting an unhealthy body type too. They are a bit over weight, some of them bordering on obese. But they are insisting that they're beautiful and that women should be healthy. Thats hypocritical. Its unhealthy.

Whatever is healthy and attractive should be what models look like. I personally think an attractive body type is whatever amount of fat a woman can have without muffin top. A bit of fat is actually very healthy and attractive.
    • Remonster

"Even some guys get ridiculous expectations when it comes to girls' bodies. Expecting thigh gaps and a completely flat stomach"

And what exactly is wrong with personal preference? I think thigh gaps are incredibly sexy and so are flat stomachs. You can still have a gap + flat stomach while being a few pounds overweight, nothing wrong with that. It's hypocritical to think that men's standards have to change while most women rub their clits to muscular men with huge dicks. Most people love perfection when it comes to modeling and sexualization, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I agree with the rest of your post though!

• @Remonster are you suggesting that thigh gaps and super skinny women are "perfection' or most men's standard?

Because from what I can gather most guys do not actually like thigh gaps and a petite physique, but instead prefer a little "thickness" on a girl.

• sejla

@Remonster I did not know a thigh gap was a bad thing until recently. Being naturally thin for half of my life like the other women in my family I had a thigh gap for quite some time. Now at 58 and eating well it started coming back which I kind of liked. Then I find out it isn't supposed to be a good thing. I thought when did this flip>

• juliaaa
    I'm so against campaigns like this. Being thin my entire life and being made fun of for it, I take it very personally when the media bashes girls for being thin and calls them unhealthy or anorexic or gross or masculine. I'm HEALTHY and that's what matters. Just because you're 'curvy' doesn't mean you're healthier or better than I am. VS models are hated on so much- yes, they're very thin, but they are that way because a) that's their natural body type and b) they are extremely fit and eat well.
    • That's true! But wouldn't you agree that VS only really represent one body type, making people associate health with being 'skinny' which is not the case?

• juliaaa

Yeah they should definitely be more diverse! I really like aerie's campaign right now but even that gets a lot of hate because the girls aren't bigger. Yet to me, all the girls look average sized and healthy so there shouldn't be anything wrong with that. Some of the 'plus sized' models I have seen are just straight up extremely overweight and I don't think that should be praised.

• Remonster
    Yes and no. It's fine when they're curvy because walking skeletons are awful. But plus-sized is a common word for fat, even medically obese girls. So if an unhealthy lifestyle is what you want to promote, go right ahead.

Fat-acceptance is getting silly at times. It's scientifically impossible to be 'healthy at any size'. It's a euphemism fat girls use so they aren't confronted with the fact they should shove less food in their mouths. Get your big butt of the couch and start moving. You don't have a slow metabolism or screwed genetics unless it's medically proven to be, which is a small fraction of the entire population.

Bottom line: I am fat too, but at least I realize it's grossly unhealthy and try to fix it. BBW models are promoting laziness, plain and simple. Look, it's fine if you want to be fat, many people are. But don't flaunt it like it's a healthy thing to be. But that's the entitlement culture we live in today, everything has to be normal and accepted.

And oh yeah, where is the fat-acceptance movement for guys? There barely isn't any because fat-acceptance is powered by feminism. That is all.
    • TeRaRum

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

• Hannah591

Exactly what I was thinking and wanted to say!

"It's scientifically impossible to be 'healthy at any size'." Yes.
      "It's a euphemism fat girls use so they aren't confronted with the fact they should shove less food in their mouths. " YES.

• Man, no one is even straight on what that is though. There are medical studies that show life expectancies for overweight and obese category people to be longer and general health to be better than those of people in normal, underweight, and morbidly obese classes. While obese people trend towards certain kinds of diseases it is unknown if this is cause or if their is a common cause. So for starters, we clearly don't actually know what healthy size is exactly exept that is probably not either extreme.

Secondly people have a piss poor concept of what certain sizes actually look like with the trend being that a person is actually thinner than what they categorize them as. So someone with a normal BMI is a size 8-12 but people think of normal as sizes 0-5 or 3-8. Body positivity is important. The media should embrace what real people look like. Why is no one who hates this fat movement outraged that the media has been portraying an image which fosters young women to be mentally ill?

• Klara-Hitler
    yeah. I'm not letting this be my daughter's inspiration.
    tinyredshoes.files.wordpress.com/.../image2.jpg
    • Well on the plus side the picture won't make her feel like starving herself everyday and she can also get a confidence boost from looking at it. So guess its good for something?

• sobg71124

There is fine line between curvy and overweight. This one is the latter.

• Remonster

Exactly.

• Hannah591
    @Remonster basically said everything I thought - spot on!

I personally feel like it's a promotion of an unhealthy way of living. Instead of accepting they're overweight and try to lose weight for their own health, they try to change people's views on them by making people feel bad for encouraging healthy lifestyles.

This site basically sums it all perfectly, showing how overweight people warp anything to make out like they're being attacked all the time so people will be too scared to speak up. The people on there also don't believe you can be "healthy at every size" (HAES), but that's what overweight people made up to justify their weight. https://www.reddit.com/r/fatlogic

I've seen a lot of documentaries about popular overweight people who have supposedly become confident in themselves but you can tell that it's a false confidence, they're not actually happy with themselves but they put that front up to try to dissuade haters.

One popular blogger who was overweight, that insisted she was happy with herself and healthy, decided to lose weight because she wanted to start a family (she obviously wasn't that healthy) but all her fans turned against her! They should be supporting her but they did the opposite and she became popular through being overweight. I really don't understand what these people are thinking.
    • oh so I guess being comfortable with your own body, even if its shunned by society means you're makin people feel bad about being healthy."became popular by being over weight" these women are models, they were already in a sort of spotlight, the fact that they're overweight is a "plus" in a way because it encourages other women who struggle with weight to see themselves with the same body as someone in a magazine and think "she's beautiful, maybe I'm beautiful too". of COURSE these people put in a front. they're ridiculed by society and you expect them to show how they really feel? I mean these people just can't win."oh you hate your body? well maybe you shouldn't be lazy and do something about it!" "oh you accept your body? well I don't it's unhealthy to my standards and you need to lose weight so that I can actually see you for you, and not the overweight, confident problem that you somehow are to me because of my limited logic and lack of fucking intelligence." that's what you sound like.

• Hannah591

I don't think you've understood this at all. You've read my post in a defensive way so you've twisted it all and read it how you wanted to - offensively.
      I meant the bloggers, they've gotten so many followers because they support them being overweight and supposedly being confident in themselves. They're like role models to other overweight people who are insecure.
      They put on a front and lie to themselves because they know they're not healthy and that most guys don't find them attractive. I never said they were ugly, I still think they're beautiful, face wise.
      I don't understand why if they hate their bodies, why they don't do anything about it and instead feel insecure and hate themselves? They can accept their body but I'm just saying that I don't think they're actually doing that, it's just a front and they're still really insecure about themselves which returns back to the question, why don't they do something about it?

• Hannah591

I don't lack knowledge or intelligence. I regularly look on the site I posted and it's completely opened my eyes to the delusion these people convince themselves of. They share posts of overweight people who actively hate thin people and call it "thin privilege" when thin people can do things they can't, which they could do if they lost weight. Overweight people act like the only victims when I receive comments on my weight too. People saying I should eat more, that I'm too skinny (I'm actually the perfect weight for my height and age) or I get judged for "eating a lot" but not putting weight on when I actually control what I eat and exercise. All hell would break loose if I told an overweight person to eat less or that they're too fat so why do I have to deal with such comments? Why is it okay to shame thin people and a crime against humanity to point out an overweight person's weight and lifestyle?

• BeingCreative_
    Tbh while I think the plus-size movement is a step sideways. It's good to see more body types included but STILL the healthy, average body type of the majority of women is not represented? What gives? The only campaign that I've seen that celebrates MULTIPLE body types is dove. Other brands? Follow suit please.
  • HoneyButterCup525
    This is absolutely ridiculous!, media made every thing wrong, they made fitness look wrong, being fat look wrong,...

PEOPLE HELLO WHAT ABOUT "HEALTH"?

Fitness it not just beauty is about being healthy and living well. And as for being the so called "plus sized" I don't support it cause I find it unhealthy people have no reason to stay fat and being fat mean you eat a lot and unhealthy...
  • Bonnie12I27I12
    why are we having "normal" and "plus" sized models? can we just have models that are all sizes? some outfits look better on skinny people and some look better on curvy people. can we just stop and have everyone be equal? people are always fighting over the races being equal or gays and straights. this can't be the same?
    • Remonster

No we can't. This is simply how humans are. You and me included.

• maybe thats just you. im not like that @remonster

• Remonster

No it's human nature. We won't ever be equal.

• front2back
    Lol just remember that these plus size models are still photoshopped and pampered to promote beauty standards your average woman could never meet. They're still harmful to women's beauty standards, just less than a skinnier model would be.
  • ShaeNielson
    Most of those women aren't even that big, and you can be healthy even though you have a little extra. I think it's good there is some diversity in the models, not everyone is a size 0 with long legs and a round butt. I do not think we by promoting normal sizes, should shame the small sizes. That is what I think goes wrong, they almost start a war between skinny and +Size, instead of just celebrating all the bodies. All this "Only dogs go for bones" or "the smaller your waist, the weaker his knees" is not doing anything good for anyone. I think it's ridiculous why we have to have an ideal body, not everyone can have a thigh gap, just like not everyone can have a perfect hourglass shape or thunder thighs, or whatever they want to ideal body to look like. I am NOT in for promoting obesity, not at all, and I don't think that is what the current campaigns are doing as people claim they do. They aren't saying "Hey, you need to have 'curves' to be good enough!" they are saying "This is how an average body looks, don't be ashamed of yours"
    • Haha should have done a quick spell check^^

• TheSpartan
    Not really. Plus sized models are a temporary, laughable fad. They certainly aren't here to stay.

Plus, who want to see an "average" or "normal" American girl modelling? That doesn't make any sense. You wouldn't want Americans of average fitness being our athletes, or those of average intelligence and education being doctors. Models are supposed to represent the epitome of beauty, and plus-sized beauty is an oxymoron.

Let the butthurt women downvote me.
    • itsallover

This is the cold, hard truth.

• THIS. This times 1000. I'm sick of America normalizing obesity. It is not healthy. These women are obese and they look disgusting. It is NOT healthy and not attractive. The doctor/athlete comparison is SO true.

• TheSpartan

Finally someone whom agrees with truth.

• aamy811
    I feel that people are told inn to understand that this isn't about "fat acceptance". No matter what size your at you should be okay with yourself. If your overweight and totally fine with it that fine because it your life, but you shouldn't be forced to feel like shot because your okay with yourself. If you close to live that lifestyle then it's okay to like the why you look or be considered attractive.
    If your losing weight healthily them you should also have a positive body image of your preexisting body. You should be able to say "yes if like to change my body, but I still love myself", instead of what I do which is staring in the mirror and thinking "oh my god I'm so fat, I need to lose 10lbs. No body will ever like me because I'm so fat". Losing weight in healthy weighs should come from a healthy mindset. My weightless has not come from a healthy mindset so I've felt the need to starve myself to fit into some shorts. But maybe if I'm comfortable with myself at any size I don't feel a need to do crazy things because even not at my best I look great.
    Also if a big woman liking herself gives you this much distress then I'm thinking maybe you have a negative view of yourself as bigger so you project that hated ideal onto other people. No one should completely hate their body okay. I've done it and it sucks, but the worst thing is hating you body and making everyone else hate their body because of it.
  • redbay19
    I personally find about 95% of women beautiful either through personality or looks, I think women's sizes should be just like men's because men come in all shapes sizes and so do Women. I think more emphasis should be put on health. Knowledge is power did you know that for every one pound of fat you have on your body it requires an extra kilometer, that right 1 Kilometer of blood vessels to supply it with blood. Which is hard on your heart. So you can either let that knowledge get you down or use that as motivation to keep yourself healthy. Use all of those ads as fuel for your motivation fire, to be healthy. I will agree we live in a sex obsessed, and vanity driven society, but we all have been blessed to live in a way that we are allowed to make choices. I do however think that if we educate ourselves and stop feeling sorry for ourselves and make a dedicated effort we wouldn't be putting crap into our bodies, we would sit in front of the tv less, maybe childhood obesity would lessen. Maybe we would make better choices for ourselves. Instead of attacking and defending look inwards to see what you want for yourself.
  • Neurath
    Models went into thin women due to clothes being expensive to make after the first and second world wars. Prior to that, models were curvy. The first and second world wars are also the reason why many female trousers do not have real pockets on them. It was all to save money and fabric.
  • ClauseViter
    I dont wanna sound insensitive but really fat people kinda annoy me. Its a disservice to yourself to not be fit, you essentially lose a quality to your life. Its like having blurry vision when you could be experienceing clear crisp images. Not only that but it denotes a lack of discipline, it is actively potraying a character flaw. Finally being overweight is just unattractive. Do yourself a favor if your overweight just put in the work to get into shape.
  • G-Daz
    I never been into model type bodies.

But i thought the reason they're so skinny is generally because gay guys run the industry and the closer a girls body is to looking more boyish the more ideal they are
  • CityBoy773
    I think its good to see plus-sized models. To be honest, I think the whole skinny and tall thing is creepy looking. Like a tough wind can blow them over. I've met plenty of big and beautiful women, nothing wrong with that. But if the model is clearly borderline obese, then yes we gotta do a little thing with change. Otherwise, some people are born bigger than others and there's nothing wrong with that.
    • Remonster

Skinny and tall is terrible. But so is being obese. And no, people aren't born bigger unless they have a rare genetic disease. It's all in the upbringing and a lack of self-control of the parents. Often feeding your child until it's fat means the child will be obese for life. A sad truth.

• CityBoy773

Actually from personal experience, you're very wrong. Example: My cousin. I know her family, cause we family, very well. She wasn't born as big as she is today. When we were kids, she was as skinny as me, if not worse. She just plumped up as she got older. Another one is really my moms side of the family, We have high metabolisms and then around 18-19 we gotta be beyond careful cause for some reason the weight really catches up and kicks us in the ass hard, especially the women.

Some people ARE born bigger, some aren't. Some have great parents and lack of self-control, others have terrible parents and great self-control. Some have good parents and self-control, but the lack of means to actually buy healthy food and stuff, like my mom and dad. We can't afford to eat healthy, so we hope for the best.

Just saying, its not always a truth to be born skinny, some people just aren't and that should be accepted. You can gain and lose weight easy, but you start out one way or the other.

• Remonster

I'm not static it like it's an absolute fact. Hence I prefaced it with "Often".

• MyloXyloto
    About damn time. Hopefully this will help insecurity in both men and women. Sadly, even "plus" models aren't that realistic either.
    • Remonster

Insecurity in men? No. Feminism doesn't work that way. They only want what's best for women.

• lumos
    Diversity is great and all, but both ends of the extremes should not be promoted (anorexia/bulimia/EDNOS or obesity).
  • ManaX
    It's just another unhealthy trend and I certainly don't support it. It's for women who would rather stick with their increased risk of heart disease than shed some pounds.
    There is nothing wrong with body confidence, and the fact that these women are confident in their bodies isn't the problem. It's more the promotion of that type of body (in the same way to stick thin) it's not healthy.
    The pendulum just swung from one extreme to the other 😒
    • jessiie06

not all of them are big! some of them are small and considered ''plus size models''

• RationalLioness
    I think it's good. I think they're put out there for women who hate their figure and for them to learn to love themselves.

Not all plus sized women can lose weight and many of them have this due to genetic reasons. It's so easy for people to say "Get healthy" when they're ignorant about what a lot of other people have to go through.

I would think that they should love themselves no matter what and that while being overweight IS NOT GOOD, if they're a bit on the heavy side, who cares?
  • KramivViolin
    I think that the reason models are thin is so that more emphasis is put on the clothing. Don't get me wrong - curvy people are pretty - but I think that the curves take attention away from the clothes. However, for modeling such as bath and body works, where the emphasis is put on the body, curvy models should be preferred because they visually have more going on and therefore bring emphasis to the message of "human body."
    • I have read that the camera 'adds weight' to a photograph. Hence the need for skinnier models.
      ?

• DisastrousQu33n
    I like skinny models. And I'm allowed to like skinny models. Some of those girls were very pretty and fit but some were also fat.
  • BelleGirl21
    I'm just so sick of hearing about it in general. "Be skinny, be tall, be curvy, be plus sized" how about I just be myself and everyone can zip it?
    • linkywinky

πŸ‘†πŸ»πŸ‘†πŸ»πŸ‘†πŸ»πŸ‘†πŸ»πŸ‘†πŸ»πŸ‘†πŸ»

πŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™Œ preach

• Remonster

And being yourself is being fat? Sounds like you're in denial.

• Lolol @remonster. I'm a size 2... on a chubby day.

• thesunstillshines
    I personally believe models should be skinny
    They're models. I'm sorry

Companies should stop advertising unhealthy weight numbers just so everyone can feel good about theirselves
    • Im not disagreeing on the "models should be skinny" because honestly they are just human hangers.

But "Companies should stop advertising unhealthy weight numbers just so everyone can feel good about theirselves" is kinda contradictory with itself, since skinny models actually sometimes are dropping dead, from unhealthy weight numbers. I have yet to see a PlusSize model die from an unhealthy weight.

• sobg71124

Most of the women depicted here are the epitome of healthy. And only average in size. To me, they are infinitely more attracted than the starving waifs who slink up and down the aisle.

• Models are supposed to look attractive.

Overly thin is not attractive. It is unhealthy, with possible organ failure and stuff. Look it up.

• baconandcheese
    I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, but if men who were not fit modeled they would be shut down fast.
    • Remonster

Exactly. It's a double-standard.

• Shorty1991

No they wouldn't. I've seen plenty of chubby guys whoI've found attractive. I think it would be refreshing to see them on the cat walk or posing for Calvin Klein. :) I'm not saying that I don't find slim or muscular attractive but it would be nice to see male models who carry a little weight for a change.

• Jxx1981
    To be honeSt none of those women would consider *plus size* they are average weight women!! Plus size is heavier women that's what I would consider so the fashion industry is still getting it wrong. Plus size would be the likes of Adele and Melissa McCarthy and they did plus size models before in the shape of Sophie Dahl and she was quick to disappear of the map. So it is kind of patronising that the best they've got is average weight women.
    • Remonster

"they are average weight women!!" What? The last few ones are medically obese.

• MargaritaPeach
    I'm all for putting some healthy sized female models out there for the world to see. Everyone is attracted to a different look! But by the same token, where are the male actors/models/magazine cover guys with average male physiques? Fair is fair.
  • Starfishlover
    I am going to be downvoted like crazy. But I prefer fashion models to model clothes. It just looks better on them! I am sorry but I can't just lie
  • Longblackveil
    yeah some of those girls i would consider completely normal size, not even overweight but just right. So YES!!! definitely like them better.

Not a fan of the obese ones, but thats just personal preference
  • EvilPimp
    I don't think they should get buzz because fat men don't get the same buzz. Society is pushing this plus size woman thing off to make them acceptable but they don't do the same thing with guys.
    • chercheur

Because men are not as focused on in the fashion world or the advertising world. Instead of thinking it as a negative why not think of it as a step in the right direction that can ultimately crossover to men. Instead of be REACTIVE be PROACTIVE.

• EvilPimp

They still aren't being pushed down the throats of society like plus size, bbw's etc are. Hell they even have nightclubs that cater to them.

• Remonster

@Chercheur Because double-standards make no one happy. If feminism was about equality it would care about this as well.

• kxera
    I think it's great that they're shining light on "plus-size women" because the media often only shows "underweight" models so many people think they have to be skinny and start bad habits. When the media shows bigger people too, it let's people know that they don't have to be a size 0. Most plus size models are just average size women considered plus size for not being a zero so I'm all for it
  • Ygritte_snow
    These woman aren't "plus-sized" they're just normal. I think it's good to have normal women as models. Not really skinny ones but not too heavy ones either. It reaches out to more people as more people can 'relate' to their body. Plus they give an actual representation of what clothes look like on a body. Sometimes I see clothes on models and they look fab, then I put them on and I'm like 'fuck!' as I am waaaay shorter than all these models. (162cm)
    • Print

That's what I was thinking I didn't see much plus sized woman, maybe when it comes to the "Size 0 perfection" in modeling they are considered plus sized.

• Wolfbringer22
    awesome now can they do the same thing for guys. they are obviously doing this because they want to expand their target demo graphic and by finally allowing different kinds of girls to model for different size dresses makes them seem modest. this is a result of companies trying to race to look good at being the first to do something. however it shows to the world that only girls and women are allowed to have flaws. it is the witch hunt for men. today if a man does not look like a male model from GQ or a magazine her doesn't stand a chance hardly. look at the new batman movie coming out. wonder woman is small compared to how she is depicted in the comics where as every man has to be good looking or model quality. the problem isn't the fact that girls are going to be given more verity. the problem will be wither or not the let it go to their heads and try to use it as a way to establish false self-esteem. "i look like a model so I am suppose to have a model life and a model boyfriend". that's just not reality and we are still recovering form what twilight did to women s minds
  • SatanSenpai
    I really don't get the big deal. people are people. there will always be larger people because that's just the way people are made. and yes, you CAN change and lose weight but if they're comfortable being big then why shouldn't they be able to do things that thinner people are accepted for doing. I think it's ridiculous that people's minds are being blown by the fact that there are beautiful big women who model. they are people. they are capable of doing anything, anyone else can do.
    • Remonster

"they are people. they are capable of doing anything, anyone else can do. "
      Lol no. I am fat and I can't run without feeling like shit, nor do I have a proper sense of self-control. This is what all people share or else they wouldn't be fat. And they shouldn't be doing what thinner people do because it promotes being fat. Do you want our medical bills to go up even higher?

• uh ok or fucking loathe yourself and hide inside all day. definitely DONT have self confidence because you know, you'll be promoting obesity.
      just because you feel like shit after running doesn't mean you aren't capable I doing it. you feel like shit because obviously you're out of shape, if you want to change it then keep on pushing and if you don't want to change it then at least be comfortable knowing you don't want to change.

• Remonster

I don't even understand your reply. Fat people can't run properly because they weigh too much. I actually am trying to lose weight and my self-confidence is fine. I even flirt with skinny girls so fuck off.

• Liveyyy
    I think it's pretty neat how the curvier girls are having a shot in the spotlight for once. Of course, "curvy" might just mean average and so the larger girls may feel offended and left out. But I mean let's be realistic, being curvy and thick can be attractive, however being obese isn't exactly appealing. Anyway, I don't think it matters much, and as long as you are happy with your body, that's all that really matters.
    • Remonster

You are absolutely right. What irks me is that obese women misuse the word curvy to promote their body as healthy.

• Errui

What is "healthy"? Just curious.

• Little-Hippie
    I feel like women's clothing designers should advertise with whatever models they find effective in making sales.
    I don't buy women's clothing.
    And plus-sized models aren't magically making me attracted to plus-sized women.
    So it's a pretty invisible issue to me.
  • MaiNameIsSunshine
    I think its not okay to exclude any body types from modeling (as long a they are healthy ). There should be models of all sizes so that everyone can see models with similar body types thus people won't feel the need to change themselves and everyone can see the beauty in themselves. This is how modeling should work.
  • CincinnatiRedsfan
    Really, I could care less at all who gets media attention. The mainstream media can tell me thin is beautiful but I will still prefer CURVY (not "fat") girls. The girls in the photo are curvy. I hate how they're called "plus size." There is a difference between having curves and having too much body fat.
  • Your_boss960
    Lol the plus sized models look healthy just on the bigger side, and the bloggers look overweight. This just proves that some of the people call themselves curvy when they aren't
  • Mesonfielde
    Honestly, the girls on the top should be considered normal. That is So not "plus".

The plus size models look normal too, that Danielle Redman girl is actually still a bit underweight based on looks.

The plus size bloggers seem a bit bigger than their natural weight, that doesn't look that healthy, unfortunately.

But finally all this skinny nonsense is going down the drain. People legitimately died from organ failure because of how abnormal the whole trend was - and I don't know a single person who actually found them attractive.
    • Danielle Redman is not underweight.. She's just not as fat, yes, fat as the other girls. Maybe you ought to do so me research and not call a healthy girl underweight.

• @DisastrousQu33n she looks underweight to me, based on her arms. I can't seem to find any data about her actual weight, so I can't check for certain.

• holograph
    For those of them that are still in a healthy-enough weight, just not quite in society's norm, that's fine. For those that are downright unhealthy, I'm glad they're positive about themselves but I would rather see them get healthy for their own sake.

I don't generally care about or look at photos of models of any size so it doesn't really affect me either way.
  • LoU_Hades
    The media can glorify those more corpulent women as they want. They are sexy but for me personally they will always lose against a slander and tall girls with attractive body proportions.
    Beauty preferences is mirrored reflection of one self to other sex. It isn't a social construct that media is able to manipulate.
    In short terms. I will always prefer a Victoria secret underwear model than on of those women in gagTake's pic, no matter what MSM tries to suggest.
  • BigbuttLvr
    Since people are so dumb, they probably need the media to coax them into liking other types of people. Nothing new here.
    • Remonster

Yeap.

• Shorty1991

The media is not forcing anyone to like other body types. They don't only cater for you and your preferences.

• monicute
    Is being a plus size a crime? More than 60% population world over are obese eating junk, sugary and soft drinks. You should appreciate that these ARE real life and blood women and not some airbrushed or Photoshopped bimbos. About pics above? Some of them are Photoshopped - I prefer to see real skin
    • Remonster

Being obese is a crime. A crime for your body that is. I don't mind fat people but they should take care of themselves and sort out what underlying mental issues they have. I got fat because I was depressed. Being fat is not a natural state of your body. We aren't meant to be fat.

• Onyx277
    Most of those girls in the pictures were not even plus size, they were normal. I think it is necessary for plus size models to exist if they want "plus size" girls, aka sizes 10-16 to buy lingerie and other items advertised. Don't make it feel like it's only for skinny girls.
  • Roostah
    How come it is ok to promote pluse size female models but no sort of affirmative action is taken for male models. BRB still gotta look skinny with six pack abs.
    • Shorty1991

Lol. Where are these chubby male models then? No every woman prefers muscular men.