Is it true that people compliment your eyes only when they have nothing nice to say about your face?

I heard somewhere that people compliment your eyes only when they have nothing nice to say about your face or anything.

Is that true? Because if so then I don't know what to think because that's all I have heard about myself "You have beautiful eyes". And I was always pleased to hear that and took them as genuine compliments but now I am not so sure :/
Because think about it, who DOESN'T have pretty eyes!

Most Helpful Girl

• Uh no? I mean they could really think you have really pretty eyes. Are they supposed to notice how pretty your eyes are and then say "you're pretty"? Or "nice face"? If your eyes are what got their attention they're gonna compliment your eyes.
    Plus if they thought you were unattractive they wouldn't be complimenting you.

• She said it for me.

• nevermind. a girl compliments my eyes cause she's physicaly interested in me. there's no way she is being negative with that

What Guys Said 30

• OMG NOT AT ALL!

Eyes are so beautiful, and they make the face beautiful!

You can take those compliments to heart. Nothing nefarious or redirecting, there.

• not true, i know this girl who has amazing eyes, they really stand out, they are dark and big, and they make her face look more addorable, but you end up complementing her eyes because that's obviousy what's making everything else looks so good, i mean if she was my girlfriend i would probably enjoy more blowjobs than regular sex just to keep on looking those amazing eyes, i don't have a crush on her, but she is hot enough for me to say yes without hesitation

• NO WAY. I am a eye guy. the eyes are what I look at and can be the first thing to grab me. my ex wife had amazing eyes that just grabbed me and I never got tired of looking at them even after 25 yrs.

• Its all about the eyes pretty much. Its nice to have a good Jaw line and a good nose but the eyes tell it all

• Naw, that's BS. I HATE complimenting random women. When i do it just comes out. Some women just have eyes that leave you unable to think.

• Guys get negative reactions if we compliment her breasts, or her legs, or her hips, or her hands, or her feet, or her lips.

The "safest" compliments for a guy to give are eyes, smile, hair, and her outfit as a whole.

• Untrue. It may be that your eyes stand out and are so beautiful they are impossible to ignore. I've said that to very pretty women before. The eyes though got me the most.

• I don't think so, I think that good looking eyes need a good face, or else why would I look at your face? or want to stare into your eyes. some people have tired looking eyes/half closed eyelids and it looks unattractive or whatever.

• There are only so many body parts a guy can compliment without sounding creepy.

• yea most likely. since that is the most simple and overrated compliment since the first day of humanity

• No, one of the very first things I noticed about my girl was her eyes. They're deep blue and captivating to say the least. I always tell her how much I adore her eyes still.

• Sometimes.

but othertimes a girl can have stunning eyes

• Yes, they say to me you have a nice smile
    that bothers me too but i go with the flow

• A nice smile is so much better! Not everyone has one!

• Not if your eyes are exceptionally pretty. How about a pic so we can see?

• Not for me. If say you have nice eyes, it is because I think you are beautiful and I like you. If I go out of my way to say you're hot, well, I might not be interested in you, but hey, at least you're hot.

• Not for me.

• Not necessarily, some people just have beautiful eyes.

• No they compliment it when they think you are very attractive.

• No they aren't going to say "nice face" they are going to say nice eyes, nice smile, etc.

• If your not fat, and it comes from guys, its because they don't want tell you something dumb and blow it for themselves, like; "nice ass". And sometimes depending on color eyes are truly beautiful

• This is often true, yes.

• No if your eyes are striking enough some one might complement them first

• Not nessesarly, maybe you have a nice smile and stuck out more than the rest

• no that's if people compliment your smile only

• not true. if someone compliments your eyes it's cuz you have nice eyes and is no reflection on the rest of your face.

• Yes, it is true. Almost everyone has ok or nice eyes so it's an easy and safe compliment to give. Also most girls look pleased when you compliment their eyes, but often freak out if you compliment a different part of their body.

• They said nothing about your face when they have nothing to say about your face lol. They compliment your personality. Take it as a real compliment.

• If they go out of their way to compliment you, that's always a good thing. If you ask them point-blank and they come up with something like "nice personality" or "nice smile" then they're just being nice.

• Pfft. We can give non genuine compliments about ANYTHING if we wanted to. It's not the subject of what people are complimenting. It's whether they're really genuinely complimenting you or just... a throwaway statement.

• It's not true at all. Some people have very expressive, soulful eyes - not everyone has that. Some eyes just stand out, it's incredibly beautiful. This girl I know has this lively, innocent, warm brown eyes - they're the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen, it's amazing.

Nice eyes can make up for an average body, cause they captivate you so much that you notice other things less. If all you hear is that you have pretty eyes, it doesn't mean that they have nothing else to compliment you on, it probably means that your eyes are so amazing that that's the first thing they notice.

What Girls Said 34

• No, I've never heard that statement before. When people compliment a person eyes, it's because of the color or intensity or lively thing that you see in them. And, not everybody has eyes that just draw a person to you. Not everybody has eyes that are so intense you feel like you can see into there soul. Besides, people don't compliment things that they're not drawn to or find attractive. If they didn't sincerely think that. People wouldn't say "you have pretty eyes", if they didn't think you did. People wouldn't say "you have a great smile", if they didn't think you did. They just wouldn't say anything at all, if they didn't find a person attractive.

• I think it can go both ways when someone says that - you can have a nice face or a meh face. That said, I think the eyes can more than make up for the face. For example, one of the main characters on a TV show I used to watch doesn't look that pretty - kind of plain to me at least - until you look at her eyes and then it's like...wow, what? and then it's hard to look away. (And I'm female and I like guys. I imagine for a guy the same effect is much stronger.)
    I've felt plain forever but people tell me I'm beautiful and I think it has to do with my eyes - they're very unique and apparently striking thank God.

• Also, as others have said, how exactly do you compliment someone's face? I guess "wow your'e handsome/beautiful"...but...idk. I assume if they've noticed your eyes they already think you have a nice face. Could be wrong.

• I hope not. A lot of people say I have pretty eyes though I really don't see it. It's mainly because of the colour (s). A lot of people think I'm attractive in general though so I don't believe this is true. If you don't find someone attractive, then just don't compliment? I only compliment people and things when I genuinely find them attractive.

• Lots of people don't have beautiful eyes. Something as simple as spacing, circles, unkempt brows, etc...I'm sure you have a pretty face and beautiful eyes!

• Lot's of people don't have pretty eyes...

but.. you saying this, doesn't make me feel any better about myself..

EVERYONE always comments on my eyes.

• Nope. It means your eyes are genuinely pretty. I've seen plenty butt ugly eyes.

• You more than likely have a beautiful face and beautiful eyes.

I think in my case yes I do have an ugly face and nice eyes.
    I know my eyes are gorgeous. When I use makeup, it's what I work on the most. Unfortunately the rest of my face is ugly. So I have big beautiful brown eyes, and an ugly manly face.

• Unfortunately, yes. As you said, most people have nice eyes- it's hard not to. So... It's kinda generic =[

• Ah well.. Its better to have SOMETHING nice than not to have anything nice, I guess.

• This is very true. There's always someone who has it worse lol.

• hmmm I sure hope thats not the case lol

• No. I mean, if you have brown eyes that look like everyone else's, then it's possible. But if you have green, or blue (like me), or purple, or some other unusual or pretty color, then odds are, it's a genuine compliment. Be proud of your eyes! For me, it's the only feature I have that I wouldn't change a bit and am 100% confident on :)

• no that's not true. people have gorgeous eyes. it's the first thing i see when i look at someone, so the compliment comes out naturally.

• unless you ask them a i pretty and they say you have pretty eyes-no.

they dont have to say anything at all, but they go out of their way to tell you, you have pretty eyes. i think it is sincere.

• Not that i've heard, i mean if you didn't like how someone looked you'd usually just not say anything, or maybe compliment some aspect of their personality. I'm pretty sure those were genuine compliments i know i've gotten the eye one a lot (my eyes are big, but almond shaped so sort of Asian looking but blue) i like to think they were genuine haha >.< Tbh i have heard about people saying nice smile when they have nothing else to say, but i mean some people really have nice smiles :)

• Of course not! When I tell someone they have pretty eyes I really mean it. I think eyes are the the best body parts and when not everyone has beautiful eyes.
    You should be flattered :)

• i thought it was when people describe you as "funny" or "nice personality" lol

but its rare, i harley see a pair of "ugly " eyes..idk

you can take it both ways,, i get compliments on my eyes a lot, but i also get the on other stuff..but it dosent matter to me..

• It is not TRUE.

Maybe they just thought your eyes are the best part of your face but it doesn't mean that your face isn't nice at all. It could simply mean that your eyes is your best asset.

Don't think less about yourself. It's not good to do so. Be positive and feel positive (You'll be beautiful if you think you're beautiful, because if you think the other way around, babe believe me, you'll be doomed).

And if you're not pretty enough, people who said that to you will never had complimented you at the first place.

HEADS UP & SHOW YOUR BEAUTY.

• its a compliment; its means your eyes stand out; not everyone has that

• Really? Because I haven't seen a single person with non-pretty eyes.

• Mine are just brown, nothing pretty about that

• yeahh I've heard that too, probably cuz its the easiest thing to say

• No that is not true... I think eyes and hair are the most beautiful features of your face. Eyes makes the beauty of a person. If someone was to say you have a beautiful nose, that would be weird and if someone was to say you have nice lips, that would be uncomfortable if not expected from you.

• I think that CAN be true, but I don't think it's always true. Some people really do have eyes that everyone notices and has to compliment. And no matter what, you can't let statistics and generalizations ruin your life.

• I don't think that's true. I tell people they have nice eyes because I find their eyes particularly pretty. Doesn't mean nothing else about you is attractive.

• Aw! :) But not everyone compliments in a genuine way :P

• No..usually nice eyes make the face look better so noi dont see the logic in thinking that...and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• False. Some people have truly beautiful eyes. If I don't have a good compliment for someone I just stay silent.

• Not always because some people really do have pretty eyes.

• If you just have brown eyes then ya but if you have colored eyes then no

• I disage (: I always geniunely compliment people on their eyes because that's my favorite feature about them.

• No. Not true.

• haha no i don't think so...some people have prettier eyes than others

• Ugh no i only say to people that they have pretty eyes when i mean it tbh

• Yes this happens. But it doesn't mean if someone compliments your eyes that they think you're unattractive. The only person that knows this is the person telling the white lie.

• More from Girls
    4