Everyone keeps calling me an emo or a goth?

i have nothing against emos or goths, they are actually lovely people, but people keep calling me an emo just cause of my apperance, my hair is purple and i only have 2 piercings and no tattoos, and i have a unique style, i wear what i want, i do wear black a lot but its just cause i like the colour, not cause im depressed or self-harming, i was thinking it might be because of the music i listen to aswell (rock/punk) but its really annoying that just cause i dont dress like everyone else and wear pink im an emo or goth

Most Helpful Guy

• People who don't know you personally see you by how you look. You dress and pucker up similar to the way emo or gothic girls do. They don't know that you don't actually make yourself look like that because you feel like an emo or a goth but just because you find those colors and that style as something that fits you. Because of that they are gonna judge you by what they see. And they see you as emo or goth material.

What Guys Said 5

• they're going to judge you as they see you until they get to know you.

• So you don't like being called emo or goth, but yet you purposely look that way?

Fat people don't like being called fat, yet they eat fast food.

• most of the time emo is an insult at least that's how i would take it but mabe you just meet their idea of what a typical goth would look like no complaints i personally like goths over others

• Maybe your a vampire. I heard they all look the same really.

• Think the new term for it is, hipster

• seriously? hipsters look way different than emo/goth

• Hipsters rarely go for all black and colourful hair. Because it's so in right now with certain groups, they'd have to avoid it.

What Girls Said 3

• Who cares...
    Everyone is so obsessed with labeling themselves. Let it go and move on. They're high school idiots who will probably have the time of their lives right there - in high school. And THAT is what's sad.

You do your own thing. ^-^

• That's normally what people call people who like 'alternative fashion' (aka the label given to lovers of dark clothes, rock music and it's surrounding genres who have or like interesting hair colours). I got the same names in high school for liking rock music and wearing black. Ignore them, they don't know any better and sadly educating them rarely helps if they don't care to listen. Enjoy your style and keep doing what you're doing.

• I consider "emo" and "goth" styles not that you automatically self-harm. Thats like saying someone who dresses preppy is a bitch