How important is the way a man dresses?

Obviously the way a man dresses is gonna affect how you see him, it says what type of person he is, but until what point does attractiveness affect how critical you are to the way he dresses?
Lets say the man is extremely handsome, but he dresses sloppy, with sweatpants, an overly-used hoodie, and some dirty shoes.

How would you view this guy? And how different would you view a man that is not so attractive, average, or ugly?
If he approaches you, would you accept or decline, given that he was a gentleman and respectful towards you?

I asked this cause as a student I don't have the money to buy the best clothes, and even though I always look presentable, I know I could look better if only I had the money, so I wonder how much does that affect the way other women see me (I'm not the guy I describes in the question, that's just an example).

Most Helpful Girl

• If a man was very handsome but wore the clothes you juwt described I'd be like what a pitty he looks so good but those clothes... He's not presentable. This has happened many times. In fact his sloppy appearance will affect his handsome face and his body will be hidden under those ugly clothes.
    On the other hand if a guy is just average or even a tad bit under average but knows how to dress appropriately I won't even notice his less than perfect features. It's the whole package that counts. I'll be impressed by how he takes good care of himself. I mean for some unknown reason I even look at a guy's shoes to determine how used the heel of his shoes are...

• So you do give a lot of importance to the way a man dresses.

• I do. I think people should look presentable.
      I am a student myself and see a lot of guys wearing hoodies and sweatpants on campus and it's an instant turn off for me. Because that's how you are supposed to look when you are relaxing at home or are working out at the gym. On the other hand there are guys who wear jeans or pants and appropriate shirts and jackets. They look presentable. Not like they just rolled out of bed recovering from a cold.
      I don't care about the brands he's wearing or how expensive his clothes are. They should be flattering and clean. :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Women are being nice here... and not very self-aware.

Yes it matters, especially when you're out of college, but upping your dress even by a few degrees will do wonders.

Seriously, test it. Go out dressed great, then go out dressed poorly. Write down how people respond to you. Then after a month or two, compare the notes.

That's what I did. The results are night and day.

• Yeah, I've noticed that too, but I'm just an average guy, I want to know if for a really handsome man, the way he dresses will matter as much as it matters with us regular guys.

• Yes, it matters.

And frankly, a handsome guy is more likely to realize the advantage it will give him... and utilize it.

What Girls Said 11

• Clothes are really not that important but they do have some contributing factor in whether or not you gross me out. For example, if you wear sweatshirts and hoodies, and basketball shorts all the time I really don't care. (This is all my boyfriend ever wears and he's the most gorgeous man in the world in my eyes.) If you wear flashy clothes with a lot of colors and tons of expensive jewelry I'm going to think you look like a jackass and be uninterested. If you wear old smelly dirty clothes I'll be disgusted by you because hygiene is crucial. And if you wear business casual, like a nice shirt and some slacks then you look fantastic. There needs to be a balance between relaxed and dressed up. Too flashy and too relaxed (spaghetti stains on shirts) are a definite turn off. I'd like for a guy to wear hoodies and sweatpants but at least own a couple of nice shirts & slacks. I don't think that's asking for too much haha.

• As I myself am really into fashion, I honestly think it matters quite a lot.
    I mean you don't have to walk around in an Armani suit like the ultimate Fashionisto but just show that you have some style & sense for fashion. I like something classy or minimal on guys, something like this:

cdn12.lbstatic.nu/.../4695299_look497.jpg

cdn10.lbstatic.nu/.../4699497_Direct03.jpg

A handsome guy dressing sloppy is just as attractive as a pretty girl dressing sloppy - not really.

• I couldn't give less fucks about how men dress.
    In here people dress however they want and I'm okay with it. They wear flip flops and even go barefoot, simple t-shirts and shorts. They look hot anyways.

There are a lot of hippies in tulum, most of them have long and horrible beards, but damn, you can see how hot they are, they are also very intelligent and nice. Once I told my mom I wanted to marry a hippie, she went nuts. I really really don't care about how people dress. Dress what makes you feel comfortable, that's what I think.

• I think the difference is huge. I had more girls and guys want to talk to me when I looked nice. I never get that much attention when I am dress with sweatpants !

• he should dress presentable
    if i saw a guy dressed the way you described i hope he's taking a jog or heading to the gym. otherwise, i think he doesn't care for himself

if he approached, i'd still talk to him but it would be affected by my initial impression

• If he asked for your number or to grab some coffee for example, would you accept?

• tbh, probably not. i'd be affected too much by the initial impression

• it depends on the person but tbh in my opinion clothes make a difference because a guy can dress sloppy and not be that attractive then when he wears something nice i instantly notice him more (in a good way). by nice clothes i dont mean suits everyday just jeans and hoodies and smells good, looks clean.. etc

• My first glance would be at the face. My second glance would be at the attire. I'm not super picky, but I won't go for ragged.

• So you wouldn't mind if he's attractive but dresses sloppy, like, would you accept a date or give him your number if he were to approach you?

• Well, sloppy and shaggy kinda mean the same thing to me. I don't know it depends on how sloppy...

• as long as he looks presentable and like a homeless person there is no problem

• Clothing is irrelevant to me, but if I had to choose, I like casual or sport style on guys.

• Yes, I do care I like fashion so I think is very attractive when a guy looks good on his clothes I love guys in suits lol

• As long as it's clean and fits, I'm fine with whatever he is comfortable and wants to wear. Jeans and a t-shirt can look nice. I'm pretty laid-back, so it's not like I need to go to fancy places, but in some cases where I have a gallery show or something, then a nice button up shirt and slacks would be appreciated.

• What is "sloppy" though? Like disheveled and dirty clothes? Dirty shoes is fine, people walk around lol. Sweatpants and a hoodie is fine, if he was respectful, I would talk to him.

• By sloppy I mean that it may have some stains from the detergent for example (not as in food stains), they look old, wrinkly...

• No food stains is good. Old could = vintage, which is cool. Wrinkly... I mean it happens. As long as it's not like super wrinkly where it looks like he folded it so small and tight into a tiny Lego block for 6 years and decided to pull it out.

What Guys Said 5

• This is true as for some reason the ladies love me in long sleeve shirts even though I hardly ever wear them since I don't prefer them. I guess I should reconsider. When I was in Cali I was working as a cashier and I had to wear a long sleeve navy blue shirt. A bunch of tourist chicks from Japan came into my store and wanted to take a photo with me. We didn't understand each others languages but they were signaling that they wanted to take a pic. Lol what tourist wants to take a pic with some cashier? Haha. I was extremley flattered. So yes it does enhance attractiveness a bit depending on what you wear.

• It does indeed matter.

When I wear my work clothes girls don't check me out as much as when I wear clothes to hang out.

• A gentleman should make himself presentable in public and know how to dress for each occasion

• I completely agree, but to what extent does the way he dresses affect the way a woman sees him? Does his natural beauty lets him get away with dressing sloppy?

• I think it is tbh.. I wear a lot of skinny jeans, hoodies and sweaters. I guess I'm smart casual.

• I think that, the way a guy dresses is important to a woman but, not as important as it is to a man. Women don't want a slob, but, I don't think they care if you're in jeans or a tux, they just want you to look presentable in public, just like you'd want her to be, only we like it when she's really dressed up, haha

• True, but until what point can a naturally attractive guy get away with dressing sloppy?

• That's why there's a fine line between genisu and insanity. I mean, you have poor people just able to scrounge for some clothes, then you have the rich, always dressed to the nines. It sucks

• genius*