Is it true that most women find redhead and blonde men less attractive?

I've been reading something about hair colour and attraction psychology and found out an article which proves that most women prefer dark-coloured hair on men.
I want to know whether It is true or not, thus answer following questions :

Girls, do you prefer brunette men to redheads and blondes?

Guys, what's your experience and thoughts about it?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm dark haired, but every blond friend I have has a girlfriend so no issue there :p
    What about you? Are you attracted to those colours

I've been attracted to the guys who are dark haired, but I also have been attracted to the guys who have blond and reddish hair.

I can say that dark hair is not really my number 1 preference though all of my friends like men with dark hair. If I chose a man with dark hair I'd prefer him to have light eye colour.

Ohhyeah I know Paul Bettany! haha
      I'm surprised! Chris is perfection to many

Phew :p I can see how exotic it can be and on girls

Most Helpful Girl

• Well as long as they're men (😉) I'm fine with any hair color

What Guys Said 30

• First, I don't think there is an answer which fits all women. The answer probably varies between cultures, nationalities, age groups, and even subgroups within those groups. I doubt that any one article has "proved" that all women prefer dark haired men. For instance, there are probably groups within the Irish nationality which prefer red haired men.

Having said all of that, my experience within my ethnic group is that most women prefer either dark haired or blonde guys. I think red haired guys are at a disadvantage with Caucasian, Protestant men of English heritage. Within that group, I don't think that dark haired guys get any preference, as many girls prefer the surfer boy image.

Yes I agree with you, It can be different in different cultures, age groups and individuals. Me and my cousins were raised together, but we have completely different tastes when It is about men.

I guess childhood experience also has a main influence on our future choice of partners and their appearances.

• $%^&*
    Yup...
    That's true.
    I asked this question before and i get the same results. Blonde hair often is related to femininity, which is confusing because Vikings raped murdered and pillaged all while having beautiful blonde hair.
    i.redsnapperverytasty.com/.../...93250-500x336.jpg
    I personally adore blonde hair. Plus I have it, but it's more sunkissed blonde meaning that it's usual color is like an amber-honey, when its exposed to the sun for a bit, it will change color to almost platinum. Its pretty cool, I'd like to think anyway.

Whoa bruh, that's really cool!

ahaha Thoreal :D
      I am not that attracted to Chris, I don't know why. He's sexy and all just I don't like something about his eyes or gaze. And It's super weird cause even my brother thinks that Chris is very handsome.

Though I like Paul Bettany.
      photos1.blogger.com/.../paulbettany.jpg

I am yet to guess why is light hair perceived as feminine :/

• I think most women prefer dark hair. I think all of my exs have preferred dark hair but have still found me really attractive even though my hair is like dirty blonde, so your hair color shouldn't be a problem as long as it fits you and you look attractive.

• Hmmm. I always thought women really liked blonde guys. I had blonde hair when I was a kid, but then it turned brownish reddish blondish. Pretty much brown. I really prefered it blonde. I always thought that blonde guys looked better than other hair colors. A lot of the time.

Mmmm. I really don't know. I always figured there wasn't much of a difference in hair color for women.

Did it say why women preferred darker colors?

• yes from my experience i have black hair, black eyes and olive skin and women absolutly love them, i've been told before how blonde or light haired guys aren't really their type and they like black hair the most, my friend had a similiar experience with lots of girls.

as for guys they like the opposite, light hair and eyes is attractive to them , for me blue eys and red/light brown hair is the best a girl can ever be.

• I think Men with Red Hair and Blonde Hair is less likely to find a woman i just cause they get judged.

Why do they get judged?

It happens I'm less likely to date a blonde hair woman
      cause they all seem materialistic and some red heads
      won't give me the time of the day. It happens girls would
      tease me in school for being overweight i tried dieting to
      kill myself to find a girlfriend, never had High School
      Sweetheart. We can have low self esteem stuff happens.

• I have no idea. But I don't find gingerheads attractive in general speaking. But blondes depends very. Some suit it, other don't. I thinks brunettes and black hair is the most attractive hair colors.

• Although a non-homo man, I find the Blonde men generally more attractive, but the Redhead men generally less attractive.

• Maybe darker hair are considered more masculine? I dont know

• my experience with this is that i dont care what hair color women prefer.

I guess you must be redhead or blonde.
      I am not one of these women who find them less attractive and I know many women who have a preference for redhead and blonde men.

Yep, no articles can measure to whom women are attracted.

thats true, it seems to be a recent clickbait thing in the media. also questioning whether or not women are fully straight or not is also a reoccurring theme.

• I got blonde hair. personally I like a redhead but most the reds I know are feisty ane very lively 😀

• Well my hair is not dark, its medium/dark brown and i never had bad experience cos of my hair colour. My eyes are very light blue almost white and i think i had more trouble with that than with my hair colour.

• Nah its not true and in fact a lot of women prefer the "blonde surfer boy" look, or Brad Pitt or the Blonde guy from Thor.

Brad Pitt as an example widely considered one of the most attractive guys for a long time, maybe less now because he's older but still.

Blonde hair is more rare so maybe the ones saying no have 0 experience around Blonde guys or very little experience.

Side note, I've heard that blonde hair is quite popular in China, Japan and some other Asian countries. Once again, proving my point.

• I don't know if that's true but I've ALWAYS been jealous of blonde guys and blue eyed guys.

wow really!
      why? :)

It seems like they're more rare so it stands to reason they would be more attractive, right? And sooooo many celebrities have blue eyes. Like all American icons of manliness. I don't know it kinda made me feel bad as a kid to have regular old brown eyes and not he as good looking as those hollywood actors.

• I think its True, i noticed that women are more likely to be attracted to men WithdDark
    hair. Personally Ifeel more emotional attraction to girls with intense colours

Lol what do you mean in intense hair colours?

I dont know how to explain, but I like it when her hair Is not Mixed up. Just one intense colour makes her hair look flashy ^^

• Maybe.. Ed sheeran has red hair and girls are crazy.. Decaprio is blonde girls are crazy.. Daniel radcliffe is a burnette and girls are crazy.. You can see a connection here.. Its not about men its about women cause they are crazy

• This is a matter of personal taste and your attraction to the guy that has the hair, whatever color it may be.

• Not sure but you can offer your opinion on my last question :)
    Anyways more dominant features are objectively more attractive but hair color can be like eye color in that if most of your other traits are dominant a less dominant hair color trait positively sets you apart

• I think there is an element of truth in this

• I always read it was black or dark hair. Which I never understood why. My father has pure blonde hair and I have extremely dark brown / black hair. My mother has light brown hair. My nephews have pure blonde hair. But I wouldn't care about her hair color.

• Well as a dark hair man I am clueless except that girls go in a sequence:
    Dark
    Blonde
    Redhead man being least attractive to them.

• You know the ladies like Sheamus
    static.tvtropes.org/.../sheamus005.jpg

• Being a redhead, I agree that we aren't seen as being attractive. Iv found the only really use is that it makes something to pick on someone for

• I'm like golden blonde and girls don't talk to me so, yeah it makes sense, its easy for me to make guy friends tho they approach me all the time and comment how good looking I am, meanwhile females comment the opposite, lol

• I don't know I not white you know... Lol I live in india Lol

• See told you , can have 20kg more muscle than other guys yet still be viewed as a sissy or dorky looking

• Brown to dark haired guys are mostly wimps, twinks or bitches. So that more masculine thing is bullshit!
    With the exception of Hugh Jackman lol But the blonde Thor dude would still kick his ass :)

• blonde, red = estrogen = feminine
    dark = testosterone = masculine.

Simple math is simple.

Hair color hasn't got anything to do with estrogen or testosterone. It has to do with melanin and genes...
      Also, this is Biology, not Maths. -_-

Yeah I get that, but to be honest it would suck if I had to limit the things I found attractive in women to just three words like "short, pale and beautiful" cause I can find all kinds of combinations attractive like tall, tanned and cute for example.

I think the blonde guy Thor would beat your ass, as would Conor Mcgregor or Brock lesnar

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 31

• That's not true, at least not for me.
    I find blonde men who wear their hair with "pride" in particular actually handsome more often than men with other haircolors, they stand out more and often have this Lionly vibe.

• Personally I'm not into red heads but I LOVE blondes.
    I've always been attracted to blondes since I was a young one.
    It's pretty much the same as how they say men prefer blondes, however it's actually a fair ratio to how many men like brunettes over blondes.

• I find them insanely attractive - not all, of course. But some of the most beautiful men were natural redheads or blondes.

• My fiance has a full head of blonde curly hair and his beard comes in reddish.

So I guess I don't fit the mold of the study.

• Lol my boyfriend is blonde and I said that last weekend and I think I hurt his feelings xD but I LOVE blonde guys sooo

• Never been attracted to a blonde even if he's decent looking. I don't have a problem with red heads. All my crushes have dark or brown hair. Good question.

• I can't speak for the entire female sex, but I don't like red and blond hair on guys. #sorrynotsorry

• I still find many blonde men and some red headed men attractive but most of the guys I find attracted to do tend to be dark haired

• No not at all lol

• I actually don't mind blonde hair. Red hair, I've seen some attractive guys with it but not a whole lot.

• I have dated more guys with dark hair but my current boyfriend of 3 almost 4 years is a blonde and I think he is the hottest guy I have ever seen. I always thought women liked guys with lighter hair. When I was in middle and high school all of my female friends liked the guys with light to medium hair color, thats just what I noticed.

• I once saw a jaw dropping handsome ginger/blond (it was kind of like a mix) and i did not mind at all. I dont really notice color when it comes to looks.. and i have seen many many variations each equally as attractive as the next:)

• If it's a darker, dirtier blonde I can find it attractive.

But yeah redheaded men are a total turnoff to me.

• Guys can look cute with any colour of hair.

• Hair color has never really mattered much to me, and I've never paid much attention to it. I guess as long as it wasn't bright purple or anything like that, it wouldn't matter to me.

• Gingers are sexy imho!

• Hair color doesn't matter to me.

• I think it depend on the country, in usa they prefer dark hair while in the North Europe they prefer Blonde guys.
    I personally prefer Blonde.

• I usually prefer redheads or blondes actually. But hair color is generally pretty irrelevant.

• It is for me. I mean, not for blondes so much, but red heads? No thank you.

Like, I prefer dark hair cuz it has a beautiful contrast with their skin and that kind of bold change just seems really masculine to me.

• I prefer men with brown hair. Even if you compare celebrities, men with brown hair are the most handsome ones.

yeah I get it, but there are also many attractive redhead/blonde celebrities. Don't you like Simon Woods or Paul Bettany?

• I find Caucasian men with dark hair more attractive and masculine to be honest.
    I have fallen for curly blondes though. Yummy :)

• I'm cool with blonde.
    But I do not like red hair on a guy.

• I've always been attracted to guys with dark hair, and none of them have been red headed. A couple have been blonde though. I guess I prefer brunettes

• I like more brunette guys because where I live all guys have brown guys. I not used to see guys with other hair colour

• I dont know but for me yeah, I like darker shade

• Well, I LOVE black hair on a guy (not gonna lie, I'm emo as fuck) but I also like red hair

• i can't speak for all girls either. i like both !!!

• I used to have a thing for blonde guys but not so much anymore

• there is a reason a conventionally attractive man is described as 'tall, dark and handsome"

But... Who describes them so?
      For some people conventionally attractive man can be "tall, dark, handsome" but these 3 criteria may be different for each woman.

• More from Girls
    1