Why do woman tell me cut my hair off?

OK, I work in the beauty industry, and just because I am in my 40's.time to cut my hair. I have long hair just pass my waist. I like it this length because it is very frizzy and I will get helmet head ten times bigger then my body. So with long hair I can braid it. or actually do just about anything. I don't know why woman fall into this automatic must cut your hair off because of age. Unless the style is really chick, it just make you look older. I still do modeling work and I have never been ask to cut my hair for any of my assignments. I don't understand, and this isn't me asking for a opinion , this is people just telling I should cut off.because I am older. I do keep long hair too, because the weight pulls it straight. Also I have a round face, so short hair will make me 50 years older.lol.What do think the reason is with obsession of my hair length.

This question has a poll!

• Yes woman over 40 years should cut hair short. Vote A
  • No woman should let grow long and flowing. Vote B

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• I think it's just what people expect, I dunno. My mother-in-law is in her 40s also and has hair about the same length as you. She also keeps it braided. In fact, in the 9.5 years I have known her I have NEVER seen it any way BUT braided. I think it looks just fine and honestly I think I would freak out if she went and cut it all off one day. I doubt I would recognize her! My mom is about to turn 59 and I spent years and years and years (literally over a decade) trying to convince her that just because she was getting older didn't mean she couldn't have long hair. She finally listened but it didn't last long. It turns out her hair was thinning a bit and was already so thin and so fine that it was weighed down and just didn't look flattering. But that's actually a GOOD reason to cut it! But at least she tried. And her mom I think was in her 60s when she died and I only remember her having long hair. Not long like yours, but past her shoulders. So actually I am used to seeing more older women with long hair than short. I kinda wonder why so many older women cut it short and also why so many curl it. I'm wondering if it's something having to do with grey hair. I know gray hairs tend to be much coarser than your regular hairs, so maybe keeping it short and curled is the easiest way to manage your hair once you are mostly/fully gray? Women in my family tend to gray late. My grandma that I spoke of above was probably 50% gray at the most. My mom doesn't even really have enough gray to have "streaks" or "chunks" or gray. So maybe this is why they don't feel the need to chop it all off and start with the cliched curlers, lol.

What Guys Said 2

• Give up your femininity? Madness. I care not for your hydrocephalic head, keep you hair long instead of conceding to the butchness of middle age women. All the short haired pin heads will admire your long hair, and as we all know, women hate women, so they would find something to criticize anyway.Good luck!

• I think a woman should have hair past her shoulders. To be honest, for me, I love it at midback. Past the waist is a little too long for me. But call me picky, haha.

What Girls Said 11

• Mostly woman who are in the middle age will usually cut their hair into short.

• short hair is in right now. just to throw that out there since you said you worked in the beauty industry. but you probably knew that. I think women over the age of 40 can do whatever they want. personally, hair passed the waist that is frizzy is not attractive to anybody or on anybody. maybe you should get the tips cut every once and a while. and protect it from the weather. maybe you are obsessed with your hair length because long hair is feminine and young-looking. and you don't want to lose those traits.

• it sounds too long regardless of age, maybe you could even cut it to mid back length to tidy it up a bit? hair that long is gross on anyone

• I really don't think it's anyones damn business how long people have their hair especially when your 50+ and been doing things everyones way for years just do what you want and tell the world of knowitalsl to butt out,.by the way mine is quite long and I ignore it when I get told to chop it,.my husband and kids love it no one else gets a vote.

• cutting hair is beautiful. I like the new "Rihanna" bob that most girls rock these days

• I love that but if you have a round face like me the hair dressers advice you not to as it makes your face ;look a bit rounder or chubbier if you like

• I have freakishy long hair and people tell me to chop'em off - and I am only 18. I'd never do it because I love long hair - I have always had long hair, ever since I was a kid, so to see myself in something I won't feel comfortable in is a no-go for me. I think you should do what you feel is right for you. Like you said, if you did go for the "short hair" look, you'd look way older and no one wants that. If long hair looks good on you, keep them long. As long as you are okay with your hair-look then people will eventually stop the nagging.

• i have a round face too and if I was to cut my hair short id look chubbier so I never will I had my hair as long as your sayin yours is in 2006 and as much as I thought it was nice looking back at photos I looked like Rapunzel meets wannabe playmate! loli don't think you should cut it short short even though it is ini do however think down past your waist for any age isn't too nice I think get it cut to above your chest it will still be long and you can still put plaits in it also get a frizzing syrum if your hair is frizzy

• I think you should do whatever makes YOU happy. My mother has had pixie-short hair since she was in her late twenties and has never let it grow longer than that. And it looks great on her. One of my high school teachers was probably about sixty, and she had hair about down to her shoulder blades and it was -beautiful-. Depending on your face shape and all, different styles will look better on different people. Just ignore them. The idea that older women must have short hair is just a societal stereotype, and you don't need to cut your hair to satisfy anyone but yourself.

• I think is what it always is. Society thinks that we act a certain way at a certain age. That's stupid. Maybe is that your hair is not matching your persona. I believe that older women should wear a more elegant style it shows not just their beauty but also there wisdom. That's not to say it should be short. Just look at women like Selma Hayek, or Nicole Kidman who in public appearances wear very elegant hairdo's.

• Go for whatever makes you feel young and alive!

• I don't really like either choice below. I think it should be kept however you want to keep up. Short or long, it's your choice, and age should not have anything to with your choice of lengths. Keep it long if you like it long. But if for some crazy reason you decide to cut it, donate it to Locks of Love. Well you don't HAVE to but that's what I suggest. I'm an advocate. I do it every 18 months or so, donate my haird I mean. Sorry that was a rant. Anyways, don't feel pressure to cut it just because someone else says you should. They are probably a little jealous that you are in your 40's and still look rockin' with long hair. Take Care.

• Long hair is beautiful! There is no reason in the world to cut it off. Only lazy people would say cut your hair. They do not want take care and work with what is required in caring for long hair. You go Girl!