Why do people pierce their lips/nose/eyebrows?

It's not like it makes you look more attractive

they're very irritating. Having pieces of metal protruding from the face...what's the point? certainly not for appearance purposes.

And what the hell are gauges about? pharaohs used to wear them 5000 years ago and they weren't attractive then...why bring it back?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

What Girls Said 12

What Guys Said 8

• I have had multiple piercings none "irritated" me, People like what they like the same reason why people like different styles of clothing or think certain people are cute while others don't. It's called different tastes. I don't know if you knew this but, there are lots of people in this world with different personalities. SHOCKER RIGHT?! Madness?! Why would people have different view points?! ITS CRAZY! If you can't tell that's sarcasm then your about as ignorant as this question. Also, "GAUGES"? Please enlighten me on what that is you are referring to. I know gauge is a unit of measurement so what do you call people with ears STRETCHED to inches? By the way, they are called plugs, tunnels and eyelets not gauges. The act is called stretching. If your going to dog on them might as well educate yourself enough to know what they are. Get a clue.

• I personally think that they are an interesting way to express your creativity. I got my ears peirced when I was nine, but let the holes close because it was too common for me. I don't understand why people think it's so great to get their ears peirced, but trashy to get a lip peircing. I'm planning on getting snakebites. I like the way they look. A lot of people including my friends try to persuade me not to, but when I get them, I'd get them for me. Not any one else. It really just depends.

• different people, different interests

• The nose is the most defining feature of the face; most say it even makes the whole face. So, your nose is what makes your face beautiful or plain. A nose piercing brings more attention to this feature making a nose piercing considered attractive by some.

The lips are sometimes linked to sexuality and seduction. We also want to draw attention to this. I find a lip piercing on a guy attractive because lips are the first feature I look at. If the lips are plump and full I'm more likely to go after a guy.

You can believe what you want but never force your views on others.

• It's cool but not too much.

everyone has his/her own taste.

• HAHAHAHA "omg piercings are so 5000 years ago!"

people do it because they like it and some people think it's cute.

if you hate it, just think of it as a way to weed out people you don't wanna date I guess.

• Lol yea I know its what I do :)

• You only determine what is attractive for yourself,not for everyone else.You aren't the voice of the world

I had a nose piercing,I got it because I wanted it,not because of other people's opinions or what society thinks.Unless you like them you just won't understand,but no one has to explain themselves to you either.

• Yea I won't understand

• I am calm and I answered.Unless you like them you just won't understand

• Geez calm the hell down. My question was asking for the reasons why people do it

• Thats just your opinion. Everyone has their own opinion. My boyfriend has his lip pierced and I find it so sexy. Piercings and tatoos in general attract me because they are different and make someone look unique. That is my opinion. I respect yours so respect other peoples decisions.

• Piercings, for some people, is just another way of self-expression, sort of going along with tattoos. Others, however, may do find that getting a part of them pierced will enhance their looks. For me, I have no piercings anywhere, other than my ears, which are ironically stretched, so I cannot speak for the people that do have many piercings on the face or other area's, that is just my understanding.

My friend has his eyebrow pierced, just because he believed it would look good on him, and it does indeed. In fact, I thought it made him more attractive, but some people just cannot get into that style, and I understand, the guy I'm with is the same way.

Every form of body modification goes back in time, not just gauges as you mentioned. Normal lobe piercings were mentioned in the Bible, for each time your lobes were pierced it was how many slaves you owned. Tattoo's are very old as well. Yes their are some piercings that are fairly new, like mirco dermals, but for the most part, all them are old.

Oh and since I'm on it, lobe stretching never really went "out" so they can't come back "in" but now instead of being used in tribes like they were, they are not being used for fashion (like other piercings) or sexual purposes. However, some tribes still use it today, just not nearly as common.

• That's only one point of view... There are people who find it attractive.

• I happen to find it very sexy when a guy has his lip or cartilage pierced.

• Although you might not find it attractive, others do. Its a way of expressing yourself, just like your hairstyle and clothes.

• Selected as most helpful

well I have to say I agree with you, to me it does seem to be a bit of a turn-off but to each his own

• Well they aren't doing it for youuu. I find them unattractive too though, but people do it cos they dig it. My girlfriend has a nose piercing. Or she did, lol, fukken schooool. Although, its cool you know the origions of guages, haha, you must have some education up your arse. What are gages, though?

• I don't have any piercings of any kind but here's my comment: just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is not good. You see, you are trying to pin your point of view on others...let them be...let them express themselves any which way they want and accept them for who they are rather than trying to get them to fit your mold, cookie cutter them into the same homogeneous bullsh*t like a religious nut...you understand what I'm saying? I'm not saying you need to agree with it but it's not fair for you to expect them not to do it just because you think it is not attractive...u dig?

• I think it can look good to be honest and I think where abouts you live has a lot to do with it . When I'm on holiday in spain or ibiza a lot of the local girls are pierced " mainly a small one in the nose or a bar at the back of the neck", looks hot if you ask me

• Agreed, ears are OK, everything else is ugly.

• 2 Things I would say. I think everyone hit the nail on the head already.

If you don't like it, I doubt there is much anyone could say to your question that would make you understand why some people do it. I just got a snakebite piercing (my first) yesterday, and love it.

Also, you said that the pharaohs used them 5000 years ago and they weren't attractive then...how do you know that exactly?

• hater

• listen to khmco, I find if a girl's got maybe a small lip ring, or a small nose ring, she's usually cuter.