What is so unappealing about red lipstick?

From time to time I wear red lipstick to school, whether guys find it appealing or not. Generally, I've noticed that girls find it attractive, whether on themselves or someone else, and guys pretty much find it repulsing. I'm cool with that, it's all opinions, but it makes me curious why such a large number of guys find it unappealing?

Yes, I understand that red lipstick can look harsh, making it hard to pull off. It isn't exactly natural either, I understand that too, but yet it's so classy and fierce. Even for the girls that can pull it off, which I admire, though, nearly all guys I know don't find it attractive.

Your opinions about it?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think a lot of girls pick the wrong shade for them. They see a red, and think that it will just do - there's so many different shades, and it can work for anyone, you just have to find the right one.

And I tend to think, generally, it's a rare occasion kind of thing - not really you're typical off to school look.

It's about glamour, sex and seduction.

I think it can be a bit intimidating at times too - it's not a natural colour really, far too bold, and you have to be pretty brave to wear it, so people are going to assume you're very confident etc when you're wearing it.

What Guys Said 7

• Lipstick is an aesthetic preference. Some men find it attractive... But I have never understood that. I find it foul. Most guys I know do. At this point in my life I'd rather not kiss you if I'm going to get covered in stains; it makes me look trashy and it feels like making out with a paint roller. I'd even go so far as to admit I have avoided dating women who regularly used lipstick as it is a complete turn-off.

Wear it if you want, but understand you will be completely shutting out a substantial number of men, particularly men in their late twenties or older. Granted, that classic pinup look is sexy, but it's not enticing. We'll admire your beauty, but we will not be interested in doing anything more than that.

The only lipstick I have ever found appealing is that which matches my girlfriend's natural lip color, used sparingly... So basically, there is no need for lipstick. It might gain some attention, but it will also limit your options based upon sexual fetish rather than, say, personality, looks, or even status. I've never heard of a man who dislikes a clean-lipped woman, but I've known plenty who dislike lipstick. Most tolerate it, and a few enjoy it.

Makeup, like dress, is a tool to convey a certain message. Use lipstick where appropriate, and be cognizant of the message you are sending.

• Red lipstick tends to contain high levels of lead. Lead is a serious neurotoxin. I think that about covers it.

• I love red and pink lip sticks,.and I dnt find red lip sticks unappealing,.they just luk sexy 2 me...

• You answered you're own question, it's the fact that it looks so harsh and ostentatious that makes a lot of guys find it unappealing, and why a lot of guys aren't really into makeup on a girl. I personally pay attention to very subtle color differences in the skin when looking at a girl's face and red lipstick throws all of that off. I also read through what the girls said, and I think they have a point too and obviously know way more about makeup than I ever will.

• it reminds me of my mother from the late 80's and 90's. natural gloss is where its at.

• It looks awful. Lips aren't supposed to be bright or really dark red. If a girl is gonna wear lipstick I'd rather it be pink.

• It makes you look like you just had a mad make out session with that koolaid man

What Girls Said 4

• I think red lipstick is a love hate sort of thing as well as something that a girl can pull off or cant. There's really no in between. I imagine some guys dislike it because it's so bold and goes against the whole "natural look". Also because not a lot of girls can pull it off, and by wearing red lipstick they don't look very becoming.

As a girl, I like red lipstick. But I don't like it when the girl that's wearing it can't pull it off lol And personally, I wouldn't wear it to school or work, but that as it may, I still like it. Especially deep reds. But more than anything I wear clear gloss or MACs lipstick in Myth.

• Its weird because red lips subconsciously tells a man you're ready for sex. As awkward as that sounds, its a fact, like those monkeys whose buts go red when they're at their sexual peak lol. So by imitating red lips, its meant to make guys look at you and think 'sex, sex, sex', but I guess most guys these days are so used to seeing sex everywhere and people dressed up sexually that they just want to see a girl that looks like a regular, innocent, down-to-earth woman. Not all jazzed up with makeup. But that's just a guess, maybe they are just picky for the sake of being picky?

• Red lipstick just makes me go gross, gross, gross. It's actually one of my top 5 turn offs.

• It's just disgusting. There's no ifs ands or buts about it. I see a woman with red lipstick, I wouldn't even give her a second look. (won't bother approaching her that day) If that same girl isn't wearing any. I would approach. I don't see the point in lipstick.

• there's nothing unappealing about it. my lips are naturally pink, so red looks best for me

• It just depends on the shade. A lot of girls don't get it right and look like clowns. There's a fine line between classic Hollywood pin-up and clown.