What are your opinions on stretch marks, is it a turn off, guys? Girls, do you feel self conscious or not?

I have stretch marks and feel really bad about it... I even did 3 dermatological treatments in my life, and thank God it looks 80% better now, but I can still notice the stretch marks at the areas and it really bothers me.

Please only honest and serious answers. =) Thanks in advance.

Most Helpful Guy

• No big deal.

And, I am a guy who likes models. Brooklyn Decker, Jessica White, and Julie Henderson all have stretch marks on their butts. You can see them in their behind the scenes photos. And, they are all Sports Illustrated Models.

Halle Berry had stretch marks on her breasts before she had her baby. You can see them on Monster's Ball. YES! I zoomed in on my DVD LMAO

Honestly, it is nice to know that you believe that you have flaws, because you are hot. And, since you believe that you have flaws, it makes you easier to catch for a regular guy like me ;-)

What Guys Said 34

• Appearance is only 1% of who we are.

Once I get to know someone, their looks start to fade from my memory. It's hard to describe, but it's as though I don't really see how they look, but see who they really are.

The importance of how they look begins to matter less and less, and how they act, speak and react blur their looks to me.

My soon-to-be-ex wife had stretch marks because of our daughter, of course, but it didn't detract from her beauty at all! Stretch marks are more real and show that a person has had some experiences in life.

• Only honest and serious answers? OK!

YES, THEY'RE GROSS. But as long as they're not too revealing. Oh, and by the way, I'd say stretch marks are a minor factor to deal with. I'd rather put up with stretch marks than a fat walrus who can't get off the ice cream.

• Thanks for answering!

• Kind of immature for a 30 year old

• OMG if you want an opinion, say thanks and get on with it. I'm sorry, but eveytime a guy says he doesn't like it you keep asking if they expect perfection..did he Sayy he did, nooo. So why do you keep asking, of course they dont. Lets just say I don't like guys with huge ears or something...does that mean I automatically expect every man to be perfect. No its does not. It means I'd prefer to not have someone with huge ears.

• if the stretch marks are on a fat girl, theyre unimportant because she has other problems (like her weight).

if the stretch marks are on an atrractive girl (such as yourself), it really won't affect the guys view of you. if a guy turns down a beautiful woman because she has stretch marks, he is horrible.

so, I don't really care. if I have feelings for someone, stretch marks aren't going to turn me off of her.

• the term " fat girl " shows that you're a douche.

• Why are people so sensitive? If she's fat, she's fat damn. He obviously didn't meant it offensively. UGHHHHH...

• i agree with sweetoness, the only people who have problems with people saying fat, are fat.

so if you're fat, start eating right, and jump on a treadmill. its not rocket science.

• I see lots of questions about this, and no one says "they are a turn-off"." Don't be self-conscious about them, because, no one thinks it's a turn-off.

Plus, the beauty of the butterfly is the patterns on it's wings, isn't it?

• Oops, I saw that some guy before me actually said that he thinks stretch marks are a turn-off. Well, I guess there's a first for everything.

• please please PLEASE watch this video ladies

the truth:

link

• I really don't care. So long as they aren't covering virtually every inch of her body. I'm 5'8" and 145 pounds, and I have stretch marks in weird ass places - including horizontally across my back, and my kneecaps. I also have a few on my hips. Not only do I not care about them, I'd be an asshole to judge a girl that did have some.

• I think a lot of guys won't notice them unless you point them out (especially if you had dermatological treatments to fix them). I'd say don't worry about them and a guy won't notice or care about them.

• Stretch marks honestly aren't ideal, but I personally don't have a problem with them, they should not be the reason a guy turns someone down, and if it is, they are extremely shallow.

Instead of focusing on someones insecurities, we should focus more on what that persons has going for them :)

• I don't really think is a turn off, it just happens for some people, is part of growing up, weight changes or pregnancy, it all depends in the skin quality that you have inherited from your parents, which means that you either share that dominant skin type gene from your mom or dad's side, some people will never get stretchmarks because of their skin quality, those are the lucky ones. . . Obviously people tend to be self-conscious about their looks when we reach a certain age, especially if you're a female I believe, but I wouldn't really be mean or turned off by a girl having some stretchmarks. . . that would make me a shallow person, plus why would I make a girl feel miserable and maybe even more insecure about her looks?, if you have stretchmarks is not by choice but because that's how you were born, you cannot go against it. Accept your beautiful-self inside and out, you already are Juliana.

• I have stretch marks by my armpits and chest, its because I used to work-out a lot back in high school for wrestling and gymnastics, and in college for class. I don't work-out as much anymore so I lost a lot of muscles, but you can tell I used to work-out a lot because I still have the broad shoulders and chest...and the stretch marks...unfortunately...I wish I had something to get rid of them.

• I don't like them. Depending on the severity, they can sometimes be a turn off. It's nothing to break up with a girl over for tho, nor not date her.

• I imagine they are pretty minor compared to what a lot of pregnant women get (and I fear you will, since you seem predisposed).

They don't look good, but its not a turn off. Guys will care far less about them then you do.

• I don't like them... Honestly...

• Okay two guys out of several thousands lol :P

• I get what your saying, but just because you don't like something, doesn't always mean there's a prerogative behind it; I won't date a guy who isn't athletic; does that make me shallow? Is my prerogative that every man should be perfect and fit? No, it's just my preference. There are several women who naturally don't have stretch marks, or don't get them after pregnancy at all. So it's not as far fetched as commonly believed.

• And you don't have to feel defensive when chatting with me; I do not mean to offend you in anyway, and you have every right to ask this question; it just bothered me a little how the guys were being harassed for being honest.

• In all honesty I couldn't care less about stretch marks...

• I wouldn't mind, maybe I wouldn't even notice. Flaws can be a good thing, I have tons of them.

• I don't care about them. I've got a few on my arms/shoulders from when I was a little heavier. I don't think people actually look like they do in the movies.

• Depends how bad, but most girls do have stretch marks however faint somewhere on their body and that's fine. I expect some on her ass but it's no big deal. Also a lot of girls tan and I guess it hides them.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as they're not on your boobs you should be fine.

• they don't bother me at all, unless theirs a lot of them, even then iam not that shallow. nothing to fuss about really. I got them in high school from weight lifting. I was kind of self conscious of them at first but then I realized its just a sign of progress being made.

eventually they will heal turning from a purple color to normal skin color. at least on me they were purple at first, then they returned to my skin color.

• I don't care about them.

• idc there are worse things in life lol

• I notice it once and ignore it from then on. They're no big deal unless they're massive and very very evident (haven't had any scar cream used on them.) They really don't bother me.

• It's really not a big deal. You're attractive and like you said, it's 80% better now, so why worry about the remaining 20%. It'll most likely fade with time. I have stretch marks on my biceps back when I used to lift and have a few on my stomach when I got fat. I try not to stress about it much.

• Not really, I take pride in my tbh. It's a reminder of my past self.

• i have stretch marks on my ass... so yeah.

and I don't care whether or not a girl has stretch marks.

people who worry about these little things... that's just absolutely pitiful.

• Unless there's a lot of them or they're very noticeable then they're not a problem. One or two here and there are not a problem.

• wow people ... I don't have a prob with them not a thing you can do if you feel like thay never go away my wifehas plenty from our 2 girls its not grose at all and its not a turn off in my O

• Everyone get's them, they're a part of life and no big deal to me.

• Stretch marks are not a turn off and can even be a turn on...but if you are doing your best to get rid of them...then why ask...

• because as I said in my question, it still bothers me.

• I understand your point of view...Thanks for answering,

• Thank you...stretch marks make a female more unique and, just I find a mole or some freckles sexy..likewise stretch marks..

• I am the second person to agree with the anonymous user saying "its gross". I also chose to stay anonymous because he got completely harrased for saying what he thinks. People say "be honest" yet you can't take it when we are.

• Why is it gross, in your opinion?

• And how do we know you're no younger? I may be 17, but I think I'm going about it a little more mature than you are. I'm not going to stoop so low as to call you names back.

• no and no. Another 17 yearold mistake. I didn't call you names. Idiotic, ignorant and inexperienced are all accurate descriptions not names. As for evangeline, I am around girls who are always fit and know how to take care of themselves. I used to get stretch marks and there are certain tanning ways and creams that can be used to cover it you pathetic imbecile. Feel retarded yet?Its clear that there are a lot of low class losers with very low standards that harass those who are superior to them

• Everybody has stretch marks, I have them around my hips from when I was growing still. I barely even notice them on a girl unless they are a way different color than the rest of her skin or if they're really deep. Sometimes stretch marks can actually be a turn on because it's how a real woman looks and not fake like you see women in magazines with perfect skin. The only way it's a turn off is if a woman has them all over her stomach but if I loved her I would even look past that. You look very very attractive in your pics so I doubt any guy is going to care if you have a few stretch marks :)

• More from Guys
    4

What Girls Said 52

• Some guys will be turned off but honestly, you will turn off more guys by your belief around them than the actual stretch marks.

So:

1. The guys who are turned off, well those guys are not for you and who cares, there are plenty who won't care. A guy who is really attracted to you won't care about stretch marks.

2. There is another group of guys who will be very uncomfortable with your attitude around your body. You need to come to terms with your body to a reasonable level or a guy will catch on that you have some issue that is holding you back from fully connecting with them. Typically this exhibits by holding back on intimacy, maybe only making love in the dark or otherwise trying to hide what you are uncomfortable with. All of that is not sexy.

3. Worse would be a guy that has no idea you are uncomfortable with your body but repeatedly feels like you just don't like him, when maybe you do but you are afraid of his reaction to your body.

Hopefully you can work through this so that it won't interfere with your love life. Good luck!

• You're right, thanks for answering,

• Hey, if we are not worried about one thing, it is going to be another. I don't get stretch marks (have a daughter), so that freed me up to obsess about other imperfections lol. I have also had guys point out things they apparently found less than perfect about me and I just did not agree with them. It is all about our perception that will make the biggest difference to our lives.

• i have stretch marks. they make me a little self-conscious, but I'm not going to hide myself or get treated for it (i'm not knocking you, I'm just too poor for all that! LOL) but yeah, it is what it is. I've got them on my hips, my boobs, shoulders, and behind my knees. I got a lot of them from WORKING OUT. stretch marks are from stretching, not from just weight gain, but general movement. there are athletes with stretch marks like there are supermodels with cellulite. it's natural. nobody's going to be like "oh yeah, I love a girl with stretch marks!" but nobody's going to put a paperbag over your head (thighs, back, arms,etc) for it either.

you're frickin' gorgeous by the way. the last thing you need to worry about is your looks, girl! enjoy yourself :)

• WelI have them...but it's because I used to be obese. I'm thin now and I do have wiggly jiggly, but no hanging skin. I don't LIKE my stretchmarks, but I heard something very sweet from a guy, he said, "You should be proud of them and not ashamed because it shos that you are determined and it shows how far you've come."

When I feel bad about myself because of my stretchmarks, all I have to do is think about what he told me and it makes me feel awesome!

• wow, congratulations!

• awesome. That is a great way to think of them; a symbol of your past and how you've changed. congrats:)

• I don't understand how a woman as young (and in shape) as you has stretch marks? I think of them as any other skin mark like freckles or birth marks, not ugly or anything. I don't have stretch marks and I'm wondering how it is that my friends who are in better shape than I have stretch marks too?

• fast growth during puberty ( breasts, etc)

• ah OK. thanks for letting me know.

• I'm skinny and I have a few stretch marks around my hips from growing when I was a teen. Anybody can have stretch marks and I'm betting 95% of people have stretch marks somewhere no matter their age or how in shape they are. Stretch marks=normal skin for an adult.

• i used to have them ALL OVER my boobs it was so embarassing! DX I'm a ginger and the purple really stood out on my pale skin :((

i googled stuff about stretch marks and it said they never go away but they did. COMPLETELY.

THANK. GOD.

then I noticed I have then like that on my butt also? w/e I was always SUPER skinny, I had to take special bars and shakes when I was young to gain weight, I guess betting bigger boobs and a bigger butt was too much for my skin..

• GIRLS! (And possibly guys too)

If you want to get rid of the stretch marks, use a cream of some sort morning and night.

It needs to be very fatty (The cream), and in a couple weeks (Or days) They will get lighter.

I had stretch marks on my tummy hips and breasts. (not that I would be fat or anything, just that I grew so much, so quickly)

The marks on my breasts were really deep and really red(?!) After a couple days of using The Body Shop's; coconut body butter with shea. The marks started to fade. And the skin got SO soft (Witch my Ex really appreciated :P).

And now, a couple months after using the cream, people barely notice where the red, deep stretch marks were!

And the best part about this is that; YOU DON'T NEED A DERMATOLOGIST TO DO IT you can do it at home, And It's cheap ;D

I hope this helps all of you out there who has stretch marks, it really did help me (And BTW the creams that are out there on the market; especially for stretch marks, aren't all cheap and they might possibly not work) :))

• I tried to do the treatments at home, and it didn't work at all, so I needed professional help...and thanks for answering :)

• Don't feel bad about your stretch marks. It is natural to have them, most girls do, its part of growing up. I have them, and they have faded. Some people may have more noticeable ones than others. But I wouldn't worry about a guy who cares so much that he won't date you because you have them. That kind of person isn't worth your time!

• I have them on my breast, and hips; the hips aren't to noticeable, but I am a little self conscious about the one's on my boobs. I don't hide them though; I want a guy to find me attractive for for every single ounce of beauty, and every single flaw.

• I have them and most guys do NOT care. Actually no guy I have ever known has even cared the tiniest little bit. At least one guy even liked them.

I mean if a guy doesn't like them, he's not right for you, because there are always at least a trillion other guys who would line up for a chance with you, so don't even stress.

If you don't like them, then moisturize and apply self tanner, that pretty much covers them up.

• Most guys I know are indifferent about stretchmarks but find a girl more attractive if she doesn't have them.

Kind of like you're cute but would be cuter thing.

Not self conscious about stretchmarks since I don't have them or will get them thanks to my genes.

Sidenote: They have dermatological stuff for that? I thought those things were permanent.

• Yes, there are dermatological treatements that won't get rid off them, but will make them look better, not too revealing.

• Thanks I was beginning to question my anatomy & physiology knowledge.

• does the dermatologist just prescribe a special cream cause I have stretch marks too:S

• Yes, I have stretch marks although they've faded over the years and are virtually non-existent(but they ARE there).I have them in my inner thighs and butt area, but they are very hard to see.

I would take the answers from guys on here with a grain of salt. Most guys on here have no clue what a woman looks like naked and seem to have this idea that stretch marks are unnatural and "gross." They are just inexperienced and are gonna have a hard time with girls

• I developed pretty fast and at a young age, so I didn't really know what stretch marks were and was too embarrassed to ask anyone about them. As a result, I never used creams or lotions that help them heal. The ones on my thighs were so bad that it looked like I was cutting myself, which I was really self-conscious about. I even stopped wearing shorts and skirts for years because I was afraid that they would show.

As I got older, I became less embarrassed by my stretch marks. They're not pretty, but...I hit puberty. That's all they are, a sign that I grew. And my boyfriend doesn't even seem to notice them.

• I don't consider stretch marks on other to be a turnoff. just the ones on me. I'm horribly self conscious about mine. they have blended into my skin tone by now, but still, I see those long, scraggly bits of shiny skin, and I instantly hate them. I always feel like, as soon as someone sees them, then are sickened. I'm stuck with them, so you'd like I would adjust, but I just can't seem to be happy to accept the fact that I have them. :\

• I have them..though not terribly..but, what is the big deal? So many women make this a big deal..Idk..maybe I just don't have as many..Idk..now if you were pregnant I can see the big deal..because then I would be self conscious. But, yeah..It doesn't bother me..or my man.

• Zebra stripes can actually be attractive..but it is very difficult tio get that across to a lot of females..I will give you an Up Arrow!

• haha thanks ;-)

• and you're welcome. Sorry..I don't mean to sound mean..if I did. I am just trying to help you..I hope I did. :-/

• I have them and I'm self-conscious about them, so I'm using a cream to help make their appearance fade. But the less of a big deal I make about it, the less my boyfriend notices them. I even forget about it. There are more important things to focus on on my body!

• Yes...i hate them. I have them on my sides and I'm only 15. I hate it cause it makes me self consience. and honestly I'm not fat at all so...it just sucks. and worries me that someday guys will be totally grossed out. I mean they aren't that noticeble but they are there...

• Yes, I totally understand you!

Thanks for answering!

• but I don't think we should worry cause I heard a lot of girls have it anyway.

• Same here, not fat, but I have a problem with my hormones... (disease) So I know exactly how you feel!

But my boyfriend didn't know I had them until I looked at them one morning (using treatment to) and he asked if they were just scratches or anything, that he had never seen them before. I think what guys tell you here is true; they don't really seem to notice and when they do, they don't care. Which is good, since yes, 99% of (mostly) teenage girls has them...

• Most people automatically think stretch marks are when you're fat.

But stretch marks could mean

a) You really do have excess skin (fat)

b) You grew to fast

c) You got skinnier too fast

I hate stretch marks!

• I have only on my boobs, it just all of sudden grew very fast when I was 13 or so.

• Problems with hormones should be included.

And since puberty does a lot with those things, almost every teenager has them.

• Ur picture is so smexy;)))

• I have stretch marks on my butt, thighs, and hips from puberty and they really, really bother me, honestly. I just got kind of a tan and they show up more because they're white. I hate looking at them, and it's not like I'm overweight at all! I know it's just from growing though and there's nothing I can really do about it. On the plus side, my boyfriend (who's thin like me) has them too and he doesn't care about his or mine, so that helps a lot. Seriously.

Can you give me info about the treatments? I might look into it when I can afford it!

• Thanks for answering, and I mentioned about my treatments on CaliCourtney's answer.

• Are guys physically perfect? NO I am not sure why they expect a woman's body to be. As long as I am fit, they should worry about it. If a guy said or had a problem with something as minor as stretch marks I wouldn't talk to him, he's too shallow. I would point out, I didn't laugh or get mad when I saw how small your d*** was, your gutt, and scars on your body...if you can't accept me for who I am , you don't deserve my love

• and if he is complaining now, and you are thinking of having a serious relationship with him, what do you think he will be saying after you have a few of his bastard kids? Stay away from guys like that...shallow guys make bad boyfriends anyway. ...i learned this from experience

• its unattractive to me if someone has dull skin or bad teeth because that indicates bad health,

but stretch marks, scars, birth marks, they don't bother me at all, who cares?

i have a scar running up my leg that I can tell you without seeing them is more noticeable than your stretch marks and I have never tried to hide it or wasted time feeling embarassed about it.

• I feel very self conscious. I don't have too many, and I don't know if they're really all that visible to other people... but I would really like them gone. Of course, like all people on earth, I have a laundry list of things I wish I could change about my body.

1) Be thinner and more toned

2) Red Hair

3) No Stretch Marks

4) Lighter blue eyes

5) a better wardrobe

6) longer eyelashes.

The list goes on. I don't feel self conscious about all of those... but my point is, everyone has things they don't like. everyone. Even the people that you look up to and regard as perfect.

• I have them on my thighs and cannot stand it... there not too noticable because theyre now my skin color after my growth spurt in high school but anytime I go to the tanning bed, the tanner I get the more noticeable they get.. but from my understanding I've never met a man who noticed them and cared.. any man who noticed them told me I was ridiculous for caring and that theyre no bigge but ofchourse were still annoyed by them. that's life, none of us are perfect and some of us women strive to be no matter what.

• urm; I used to be self conscious but my boyfriends haven't had a problem..& they've faded now so it's just whatever :}

• I have them on my legs from when I had a growth spurt thankfully theyre pretty sheer, I absolutely hate them but I find that moisturising them makes them less visible

• If you're confident, the guy won't even notice them :) I have them and guys never say anything at all.. Tease him with the good things you do have!

However if you're worrying and hiding them, he's gonna ask whatsup and notice that you're not confident in yourself... That itself is a turn off!

• I have some on my chest and they kind of bother me when I really think about it. I got them when I was in probably 7th grade or so when my chest got kind of big really fast. They've all faded but I can still see some small indents where the pink scars were before. Both girls and guys get them so any guy saying they're gross is very shallow.

• In my opinion, stretch marks are way too minor to obsess over. I've got them on my sides, hips, and upper arms. Most are skin-colored, but some are darker and I don't really care. I used to hide the ones on my arms, but then I thought, why? Do I really care about the opinions of complete strangers? The only person who seemed to give a crap was me. So I got over it :) I love my body.

• I'm thin, was never fat, and have stretch marks. I definitely don't like them and am a little self conscious but based on the guys responses its obvious that we shouldn't be especially because they have them too!

• I have been lucky and don’t have them. But, my boyfriend does have some because of muscle growth (shoulders and hip flexers are the most noticeable). When he is tan it is very hard to notice them. I think stretch marks are a normal thing to have. I know many people who have them. But I could have never known till they point it out. Like the saying…. You are your own worst critic. :) Hope this helps.

• I'm with Jillian Michaels on this one: they're a trophy! They mean you lost weight or had a kid usually, which are both triumphs!

• More from Girls
    22