Why do girls look down or away when I try and make eye contact?

This specifically relates to when I am walking by someone coming the opposite direction. Somebody that I do not know!

I could venture to guess two main reasons why a girl would not make eye contact with me. First, I am not cute enough for them to want to make eye contact. Second, they are too shy to look into someone eyes. Third, maybe they didn't see me.

The reason I do not think it is the third one, is because a girl will SPECIFICALLY look down, away, or at a cell phone right when I try and initiate eye contact.

I can tell you that I am not ugly, I am a decently attractive guy. I have dated and been in relationships with beautiful woman. So I am not sure why a girl that does not know me at all would go through great lengths to not make eye contact.

but..i could be wrong. ;-)

Any thoughts?

I read some of the answers, and it leads me to a second question.

Are ladies more surprised if a guy gives them strong eye contact. Thus not being ready for it pushes it along to likely have a shy look away or look down?

Most Helpful Girl

• Why do girls look down or away when I try and make eye contact?

Shy

Not interested

Don't like eye contact

Don't make eye contact...in American society most aren't used to greeting strangers when out

Think giving you eye contact while encourage you to approach them & they don't want that

What Girls Said 6

• girls usually do that when they are shy, or when they like you. unless they are really bold, most girls will avoid eye contact to some extent. And, fear of rejection could be a little part of it too, they like you, but if you just look away like you're not interested, that kinda sucks for a girl, and is like they were rejected, although it wasn't intentional on the guy's part. so, they may just try to avoid that.

• yeah, I think you nailed it. if the girl is shocked by the eye contact it could easily cause her to look away. I think sometimes it is almost by instinct. I find myself doing that a lot, actually, so I try to push myself to leep looking, even if it is only for a half a second.

• So you only push yourself to keep looking if the guy is really cute right?

• Yeah, If I like him, then I push myself to keep looking to give him the hint.

• the thing is that we feel the same was insucure. we just try to hide it

• Sometimes I don't give a guy eye contact that I find attractive because I get really shy sometimes.

• Some guys I came across had this strong intimidating lovely eye contact that would make any girl look down.

It's shyness :)

• when I like a guy I walk past I get very embarrassed and look away, imagine if he looked at me and then looked away! rejection! I am afraid of rejection

What Guys Said 5

• They might not have the habit of making eye-contact with people. Some just don't do it. I guess this would be covered by your second guess.

If a girl looks away quickly just as you look at her I think it usually indicates some interest on their part. Whether that interest is strong or not will take extra investigation or observation. If you're bold, you could try and say "hello", "hi", etc.

• I always catch it if I catch some sort of glance.

• You understand that you can stare at them and stop say something "I like what I see".

It creeps people out because you don't say what you want. Your eyes speak and you say somthing different, it helps to act conspicuous. Don't get on here making excuses for yourself. I know what I'm talking about. I steal eye contact with everyone so it always works and people love being taken that way. Just get in someones way if they don't look at you and say" where are you going who cares if people like you that's not you're job. You're gonna have to take the attention you want.

• They're shy or think you're ugly.

• Girls look away when they see an ugly guy. Girls look down when they get nervous or don't want to be bothered/make eye contact.

• Maybe their shy girls who do that by averting their eyes. Or they just don't want to initate eye contact to strike a conversation

• Funny thing, I wanted to use "avert eyes" but could not find "Avert" on dictionary.com It is a real word right? I am glad someone else used it...

anywho, thanks for posting! I kind of agree, but I am not sure which it is!

• Yes its a real word ahah