Can my employer make me take out my nose ring? Why can't I just cover it?

I have orientation for a new job on Monday

when I was hired the lady told me I have to take out my nose ring I asked her if I could just cover it up and she said no she said you have to take it out and no invisible studs either.

Why can't I just cover it with a band aid or make up ?

I mean it's not like she can make me take the band aid/make up off so she can see I still have it ?

i used to cover it at my previous job also

i'm not asking if you think I should have it or not I'm asking if I choose to cover it, how can she prove that I have a nose ring under there or not ?

she can't make me uncover it or prove that I have a nose ring under there
i don't care what anyone thinks about how I sound or who I am over a nose ring.

I offered to cover it up to me if it's covered, it's covered what's the difference if it's physically in my skin or not, you can't tell the difference.

i'm very experienced and a hard worker and I don't think she has a right to tell me I have to take something out, people with tattoo's are allowed to simply cover them, what's the difference

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• No but she can fire you. You have to assess which is more important, the job or the nose ring? I'd go with the latter, don't abase yourself for a job, that's soul destroying. If she brings it up again, say to her 'If I take it out it'll close over - this is what I want to look like, and I don't feel that this job is worth it changing myself for. I'll accept the repercussions if you must treat me that way.'

• Thanks for BA!

• No, I agree with you. I even contest the notion of policy, I'm consistently disgusted with all aspects of employment.

• i would take it out to have a job I get policies and all that I just didn't see the difference in covering it or taking it out.

either way it's not there, so why does she have the right to tell me to take it out it's my body her concern should be whether or not it's visable and it won't be.

I wasn't asking just to sound spoiled I thought I had a valid question

Thanks for answering though and having a open mind

• Show Older

What Guys Said 11

• They're fully within their rights to ask you to remove the nose ring especially if you will be coming into contact with their clients. The fact of the matter is that during business hours you represent them and your image reflects upon theirs. If you wear long sleeves/a suit nobody can tell you have a tattoo, but if you slap a band aid on or makeup on it's still possible for people to see that you have a nose ring due to the fact that no matter how tiny it is it will protrude out. Now depending who the client base is they may be able to notice this and your employer simply does not want that image out there. It's about looking professional while representing the company.

Understand that no matter your views on the matter they still want their image represented in a certain way. As long as that way is not discriminatory they are well within their rights to ask that of you should you take the job. Remember perception is reality as far as most people are concerned, odds are your clients are no different. Due to that, many employers will tend to err on the side of appearing safer especially with how their employees look while representing them. This will range from banks to doctors offices to UPS to food services to IT. Each employer will independently choose as per how far to go with dress code but they'll all have some sort of clauses in the contract about how you appear while you're on the clock. They are perfectly within their rights so long as its not discriminatory and as such there's nothing you can do but choose to either work there and abide by dress code or decide that the job is not for you which you are well within your rights to do. I mean even look at sports teams, some of them have this, an example being the Yankees. Their players sign the contract and its said you need to be clean shaven, always have a short hair cut (no dreads etc), don't show tattoos and these are guys signing up for millions often at the top of their game but the Yankees say you represent us on the field and off so they even add in off field rules to the contract.

Also depending on what it is they expect you to do they can call it a possible hazard to your safety and ask it removed.

• It's pretty standard procedure in many places of employment, especially where employees will come in contact with patrons. It is believed that it creates a more professional image. It's perfectly legal, and I would wager a guess that you signed a paper saying you would abide by their appearance standards.

• I agreee totally! Sonic Drive-In made my best friend take hers out N it cost her a $30 Marilyn Monroe peircing. I don't think they SHOULD have the right, but it seems that they do. N I don't think it's right for people to criticize you on here for having it either. It's your body, N you didn't ask for an opion about that. It's no one's business but yours what you have pierced!

• thank you, I agree of course lol

yeah I wasn't asking what they thought about the peircings I wanted to know if I should try covering it or not

• Wow, this gets a 'miserable' rating from me...

• if you didn't want to answer then don't

• its slavery and you are a slave to the system. while you earn your living on barely survivable "wages" banks simply create money out of thin air. You're a slave and they know they own your ass. That's the bottom line young lady.

• lol yes sir

• How you gonna cover it ? unless you are gonna hide it behind a enormous booger

• you get a tiny stud, put a flesh covered band aid over, foundation and powder you can barely even see the band aid.

The band aid is tiny also it's a circle band aid not a big band aid on my face like nelly

• Yes they can make you take it out. They can say it's a safety issue and could get caught in something if your job is a manual labor job and if it's an office job it's the dress code so you have to follow their rules. I know that's not what you want to hear but it's true.

• well I wasn't expecting everyone to agree with me, just basically asking if I could cover it or not but I understand

• hmm. This is difficult to say without sounding patronising but I will try. When you work for a company your image represents them. This is why in the corporate world you have to wear suits and be well groomed .etc, I hear in the korean army your superviser checks your face every morning to make sure you shaved. The point Iam trying to make is; as an employee your employer decides what you wear and how you are to be presented to customers.

I understand where your coming from. I have my eyebrow pierced. At work I am my employees pawn. outside work I slip it it back in and Iam myself again. We all gotta get paid right?

• Because you can see a band aid on your face, under your nose, and putting make up on it really won't hide it. This is very different that covering up a tatoo on your arm. A nose ring is very different.

• at my previous job they let people with tattoo's cover them also

they say all piericings and tattoos must be covered, I just didn't understand why more places won't give this option also

• Not sure in which part of the world you reside, but in all the countries I have to, people with tattoos do not get that option. people with visible tatoos do not get the job. period. Which is why I get my tattoos in places which are not visible unless I take my shirt off. The only jobs where tattoos are acceptable is the music industry and manual labour.

• Show Older
  • Is this nose ring really worth all that trouble? I mean REALLY?

• Well, I never had one so I wouldn't know how much something like that would mean on a personal level. But thinking rationally, it's really a situation where you are better off letting it go. It's a detriment to your future.

• it will take what 5 seconds to take it out? most people are happy getting a job these days, and you are concerned over a nose ring?

• Mhmmm...

• Show Older
  • If the job has a dress code, they can require you to remove it.

• Depends on the job. If it's a vocational job or anything like that, then I think it's fine...but any employer can set their own dress code that is not discriminatory. Besides, the company has a right to protect its image...and personally, I wouldn't hire someone who wears a nose ring if I was running a firm or a school.

What Girls Said 10

• She's trying to be overly controlling you can't even see the invisible stud and also make up covers it up like normal skin. she probably knows you had to pay a certain amount of money for it so you would have wasted your money

• yeah she also told me no invisible stud either and she was rude and snotty from the start but it's OK because I've had it for 2 years so I can take it out and it won't heal up or anything.

I was really just asking why I couldn't cover it and how would she know not protesting the fact that it needs to be hidden

thanks

• Bottom line: if you want the job, take the nose ring out for work. If you don't want to work there because you don't like their policy, go elsewhere. They can make their own policies. They told you at hiring.

• When you interviewed, I'm sure you agreed to the dress code. You're no more special than any more of the employers & getting into semantics isn't working in your favor.

Either keep the piercing and not the job, or get rid of the piercing and keep the job.

I have a nose piercing and I've had it pierced twice. I've been in situations where I had to take it out, which is why I took it out the first time. Even with the invisible stud, it's obvious and noticeable.

Companies generally have an image to retain and you can either accept that or move on.

There's nothing you can do about it so asking us for approval isn't going to help or harm your career/job; you will though.

• yeah and you're a blast to be around I can tell

• No, I read what you put and overall, everyone notices your nasty, immature attitude

And if you could read, you've know even an invisible stud, its noticeable.

• i will take it to have a job, that wasn't my question I asked why can I not cover it ?

I basically wanted to know why she said I cannot cover it.

you read the question and assumed I wouldn't take it out to have a job, once again something you know nothing about

• Show Older
  • I think it's ridiculous. I wish people could could wear piercings, show off their tattoos, and have crazy colored hair at work if they like. Sadly that is not always the case. Sometimes they have an "image" to obtain. I think she would know what you were hiding underneath that band aid. If you want the job then you will have to take it out, sadly.

• Lol yep.

• can't believe you got so many thumbs down

• Well you can't go to work everyday with a bandaid on your nose LOL. That's an even worse image. Some jobs require employees to look professional and piercings and tattoos and not allowed. You could change it to a small stud and they won't care as much. Honestly, if I see someone with a nose ring then I would have a certain image in my mind. Your going to have this problem with a lot of employers so you might just want to give in and change it to something less flashy.

• lol it's a flesh colored band aid and it blends right in ,it's a tiny circle one and I put make up over it you honestly can't see it it wasn't like I have a huge band aid on my nose

• yeah some jobs require peeps to dress a certain way unfortunately or find a job where they let you wear them.

• you sound bratty. if the nose ring is that important to you, then just wear it unabashedly, get fired, and let somebody else get the job who really needs it. there are tons of people looking for work, id rather some hardworking person who needs to feed their family get hired than someone who acts all indignant about a damn nose ring. you're in your late 20s according to your profile time 2 grow up?

• Theres nothing bratty about deciding that you're more important than your job. It's an attitude more people need to take. The only people that have to put their job before themselves are the people who, as you say, need to feed their family. No one else should feel obligated to and intact, no one else has an excuse to.

• i'm not a brat and who are you to tell me to grow up

i've been working since I was 15 I work for everything I have I've been at the same job for 10+years you know nothing about me.

I was simply asking why can't I cover it not for your opinion about who I am as a person

• band aids look unprofessional and tacky. people can probably still see it with makeup. but if they can't see it what they don't know won't hurt em. why not just take it out? is it really that serious?

• Do you want a job?

• because people are acting like they are doing me a favor by giving me a job when I'm also a hard worker.

I don't think it's her business what's under my make up

• @update your job requirement is to take it out. so take it out, it is not the end of the world! you are making it in too a wayy bigger issue than it is. and yes your employer has the right to tell you what they expect you to do. who cares if you are a hard worker.

• Its company policy- visible piercings/tattoos, etc. They have rules they have to follow, they're just obeying them.

Personally, I think a band-aid would be MUCH more obvious than a stud. I used to have to take my nose stud out when corporate came into the clothing store I worked in.