Why do things go in and out of style? Does that seem a little ridiculous to anyone else?

i'm a pretty well-dressed guy, and I keep fairly up with what is and isn't cool to wear, but one thing that really irritates me is changing styles. for two reasons: a) it sucks that half of your wardrobe is worthless every 5 years, and b) a lot of it comes back in style later on down the line, so why abandon it in the first place? it just seems stupid to me to have to be in a fairly constant state of adaptation.

i don't have any problem with new styles coming out, I just don't understand why they have to render the old ones no good. if something looks good on one day, why does it look bad on another? the only reason we make fun of clothes from years past is because our perception of style is influenced by current standards. but when I look back, I love the clothes I wore in 1990, 1995, 2000, and 2005. two years ago I could only wear 2005-era stuff. now I can't wear that, but a lot of the 1990 stuff is cool again. what? I'm at the store and I'm like "hey! I remember "snapbacks!" in my day, we called them 'hats'." if it's coming back around eventually, why can't it just be a cumulative effort? we could still have fitted hats, fedoras, etc, and all could and should be an acceptable option.

why can't 1970s bellbottoms, 1980s track suits, 1990s baggy jeans, and 2000s Abercrombie all coexist without ridicule? if people never stopped wearing that stuff we'd never get to the point where it looked strange. just doesn't make sense to me to be constantly shifting something that at the end of the day is fairly trivial. and who has the say as to when and what things become fashionable or unfashionable? if the answer has anything to do mimicking celebrities, I might just kill myself if that's the world we live in, haha.

thoughts?

Most Helpful Girl

• Society is pretty ridiculous plain and simple.

What Girls Said 4

• Ultimately it all comes down to money.

• as do most things, sadly. it's like the old chris rock joke when he says "they make spaceships that can withstand the heat when reentering earth's atmosphere, are you telling me that cadillac can't make an el dorado where the f*ckin' bumper doesn't fall off? you know they can do it, but ain't nobody gonna do something THAT f*ckin' DUMB!" I guess they just want to make stuff last long enough to justify buying it, but they don't want you to ever stop buying stuff, so they change the styles.

• it's just too bad we can't see past that and wear what we want. I'd be mighty comfortable in some overalls with one strap hanging loose, haha. man, I miss the 90s...

• i agree, I think it's ridiculous

i never pay attention to what's in style and what's not just wear whatever I want

• I've noticed the one thing that hasn't gone out of style for a really long time is skinny jeans !

• and wouldn't you know it, I HATE skinny jeans PASSIONATELY...just my luck, haha. but honestly, I don't remember skinny jeans being popular in the 90s really...only the skinhead kids at my high school wore super-tight jeans. everything else was baggy, baggy, baggy...you'd get your ass kicked for wearing skinny jeans. old "un-hip" people were the only ones who ever clowned you for it, and you just thought they were the ones who were off base. they'd always say...

• ..."why don't you buy some pants that fit you?" and we'd just laugh at their tight pants, haha. I actually remember saying to my friend in high school (probably '95 or '96) "imagine if we grow up and one day the OPPOSITE is cool, and you wear really TIGHT pants?" and just laughed at the ridiculousness of the idea. it became a reality sooner than I thought!

• a little ridiculous

What Guys Said 2

• Some of it is boredom.

But you also have a dynamic where more ahead of the curve groups want to get something newer and different to distinguish themselves from the crowd. And other edgy people copy it. And if it takes off it becomes common and then it isn't cool any more so the original people dump it for something else.

• Honestly I don't follow fashion trends I wear what I want to wear wether it's in or out of fashion. If people don't like it thats their problem.